• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water

johnsondav

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2014
We are considering carrying a water bladder on our Camino. Any thoughts on that? I've read several different insights. The bladder is easy to use & can be filled according to the distance or availability of fountains. :?:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Assuming your pack has a place for the bladder and hose then it's all fairly easy. They tend to have big filler spouts. Then the hose to suck on.

Yeah, I just got a 2 litre Platypus hydration bladder recently....seem a good piece of kit. I'm going to run some fresh water through it for a while to get rid of an residual taste..

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Lise T said:
May sure when you take your pack off that you turn the valve (if you have one off) and you position the hose "UP" I didn't one night and had a very soggy camera the next morning...(thank goodness it was a hot day as it dried out really well)

Seriously? If you don't suck on mine it doesn't move. If you mount it right the hose is at the top of the bag.

I guess if you put pressure on it the water might flow :shock: But it shouldn't travel up the hose on it's own.

We still prefer our bottles as they are easy to use, we can see how much is left and can have a short stop while drinking, looking at the scenery. The bladder pocket is then used for papers, guides, credenciales etc while travelling (they go in a map case when walking). The bottles fit in external pockets on our packs, one each side for balance. They are also easy to keep clean, which worries us about the bladders over a long period. The water stays surprisingly cool too.

I also use a bottle and have figured a good way to keep it close so I don't have to take my pack off. It is positioned between my body and the left strap of my bag. On my first Camino I didn't like carrying the weight of the bladder filled with water and I also like to see how much I have left. Most important, I got disgusted by my hose after two weeks, knowing that it had hit the floor every time I put my bag down in an Albergue or cafe...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tortuga9 said:
I got disgusted by my hose after two weeks, knowing that it had hit the floor every time I put my bag down in an Albergue or cafe...
So disgusted that you never thought to wash it in the meantime? Both bladders and bottles need cleaning from time to time.

My preference is for a bladder, but do acknowledge there are limitations. Last year I supplemented the bladder with a 750ml bottle, so if I did finish the water in the bladder, I could decant the bottle into the bladder, collect water and treat it in the bottle and if necessary, repeat this.

I also found that if I didn't replace the bite valve cover, and I wasn't careful about how I put my pack down, it would rest on the bite valve and water would leak out. My first thought was that the valve had failed, but it just took a small change to make sure the cover was on before removing my pack.

Started the CF with a bladder, then, on the advice of a long distance pilgrim, tried a 600ml bottle in each of my cargo pants lower side pockets. Took about a half hour to get used to it.
I really enjoy not having that weight on my back in the mornings.

Regds
Gerard

I prefer a bladder as it keeps my hands free, and so far on our practice walks my mum has been getting very frustrated having to ask one of us to get her water bottle out of her bag for her while we walk, so we're going to invest in one for her too. I think for her we're getting a central bladder that sits evenly on your back, instead of the side mounted ones like my sister and I have. It'll be better for her hips.

My friend nearly tore her bladder apart when we did the Overland as every time she put it down she'd manage to land it on the nozzle and start the pressure flow. I don't know how, but without fail she'd do it and lose lots of water before realising.

NicoZ, the hose should be at the bottom of the bladder when sitting in your bag on nearly all designs. It's a pressure based system so you don't have to suck too hard on the hose. The hose should always be filled with water.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Laliibeans said:
NicoZ, the hose should be at the bottom of the bladder when sitting in your bag on nearly all designs. It's a pressure based system so you don't have to suck too hard on the hose. The hose should always be filled with water.

On my pack the hose exit is at the top of the pack. It would be impossible to mount the bladder with the hose on the bottom and still be long enough to exit the top hose opening of the pack. Both of my packs are like this. The hose comes out at shoulder level.

I wonder if when I used the word bag I should have used backpack? :shock:

China_Military_Water_Bag_Military_Hydration_Bladder_Backpack20123312025141.jpg

I meant like that. The hose comes out over the top. Water shouldn't travel up hill.

No?

gerardcarey said:
Started the CF with a bladder, then, on the advice of a long distance pilgrim, tried a 600ml bottle in each of my cargo pants lower side pockets. Took about a half hour to get used to it.
I really enjoy not having that weight on my back in the mornings.

It's good to remember though that 600ml of water weighs 600g plus the weight of the bottle and having this weight attached to your swinging legs requires some extra effort/energy to keep it moving. Better to have water carried on the hips I think.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
NicoZ said:
I wonder if when I used the word bag I should have used backpack? :shock:

China_Military_Water_Bag_Military_Hydration_Bladder_Backpack20123312025141.jpg

I meant like that. The hose comes out over the top. Water shouldn't travel up hill.

No?

Oh, I thought you meant just the bladder, but no, that's normal, it's just when a heavy pack leans against the nozzle and squeezes it it can flood water everywhere, as it's still under pressure in the bladder itself.

My point is that the weight of water is moving, not where it is supported. Might not seem like much but multiply by a million steps and .......!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I allowed the bladder to attach to outside of pack, takes up too much room if stuffed inside,

WineShoppe Guy said:
My point is that the weight of water is moving, not where it is supported.

I'd disagree that it doesn't matter. Your body will try and compensate. This can lead to injuries in strange places/ways. The same way your dominant hand will lead to a bigger/stronger arm carrying weight on the side will cause your body to compensate. Carry a shoulder bag on one side and you will end up with problems over time.

Now a water bottle isn't that big but if things can add up.

That is why we carry 2 bottles, one in each side pocket of our packs, and keep our packs balanced.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We carried 1L bottles that we would buy along the way and an old Gatorage bottle from the States. You can recycle the bottles after a few days and not worry as much about cleaning the bladders.
I also got a holster for the bottle that attached to my pack waistbelt so I would have water readily available.
A month + is a long time for a bladder being used everyday to go with out a really good cleaning.

BTW, the best was to clean a bladder;
1 fill it with water.
2 place one denture cleaning tablet in the bladder
3 leave it sitting uncapped till the water turns from blue to clear.

Much better and easier than soap and water.

Rambler

Like Lise T says - all water containers should be cleaned quite often, at least weekly in hot weather - to avoid stomach upsets. Just dissolve sterilising tablets in your bottles, either overnight or for an hour or so. (my litre bottles needed half a tablet each - not much to carry!) Rinse well afterwards before refilling.
Don't do like I did - forgot I had filled one with sterilising fluid and took a big swig - it was disgusting and made me feel sick... But I never got a tummy upset!!

Lise T said:
With the denture tablets is there an after taste?
The bladder should be rinsed afterwards, as one would do with dentures. That will remove any residual cleaning solution, or leave it in such low concentrations that it won't be a problem.

Regards,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We carry a single card of 'Puritabs', they are really to sterilize water but are useful for cleaning bottles if necessary so should clean a water-bladder too. So far we have never had to use them for the water itself but the strip is a useful 'double use' addition to our packs

Reading this post I'm thinking why there's such a problem with sterilizing the water, camel-back, backpack-bladder etc... I guess that's mostly because people come from larger cities and are not used to drink water from the faucet, instead they're buying water in plastic flasks in the malls. Well, the water in Spain is mostly drinkable allover the country. Just try to forget neo-liberalistic dreams of privatising the water sources (and later on even the air I suppose :evil: ) and just drink it if there's a sign "potable".

Ultreia!

Hi Kinkyone,
I think the discussion is about keeping water bottles and such-like clean and hygienic rather than is the water safe.
Buen Camino

€60,-
I like drinking from a bottle better than from the bladder, because the bladder always gives water this 'plastic' taste. But on the other hand: it starts to be annoying when you constantly have to stop to get your water bottle from your backpack. I like the suggestion of carrying a bottle on the waist. Just trying to figure out how.

@JohnMcM

Yes, yes, yes, I know, it was off topic. I appologise!!! But simply had to say it :wink:

Ultreia!

And drink good water :D

Lise:
Didn't realize about the question.

No, I have absolutely no aftertaste from cleaning bladders in this way.
Yes, DON'T DRINK the used water! You pour it out and refill it.

Also, longterm, it is recommended to put your bladders empty in the freezer to keep organisms from growing between trips.

I have several bladders that i have used for years with no mildew issues.

Rambler

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am pretty much against those water bags, we aren't camels ... I prefer plastic bottles. You can buy 750 cl size and have one on each side of your backpack.

The main reasons are that using a tube to drink as you go - apart from being a little too Star Wars for me - is that you don't stop walking! Also, you don't know when you are going to run out of water, then there is all the opening of the pack and removing it to refill it, then the cleaning of the nozzle and so on -
With a bottle you can find a nice spot, heave off the pack, take off the boots and socks and let your feet breathe .. then whilst you look back to where you've been take a big swig and look around, smile and wave at passing pilgrims ... so much better than this para-military 'don't stop, keep going' mentality.

Also - you can share a bottle .. lots of other pilgrims on the Camino you know.

You can wash fruit with a bottle, pour water over your head or down your back with a bottle ... pour some out for a hot dog or cat ..... water a Camino-side plant that looks dried out and gasping ...

You can balance the weight by drinking alternate sides - wrap them in baco-foil to keep them cold if you want. Easy and fun to fill at fountains - an excuse to stop, to enjoy, to be there

so, for me, bottles every time!!! :wink:

I hydrate much more poorly with water bottles than my tube. With the tube I drink a few sips every few minutes. I have not had a problem with mold on a minimum maintenance level. Chlorine may be a bad idea, but lemon juice along the pilgrimage kills bacteria but does not leave a residue or taste.

back in the late 1800's American cowboys kept a silver dollar in their canteens - silver purifies water.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
David said:
back in the late 1800's American cowboys kept a silver dollar in their canteens - silver purifies water.

You sure they didn't use a dime (they used to be silver too)? A silver dollar in 1890 was worth $80 today :D

newfydog said:
David said:

You sure they didn't use a dime (they used to be silver too)? A silver dollar in 1890 was worth $80 today :D

They were paid a dollar a day - standard going rate back then :wink:

Lisa T - well, thank you :oops: you have wonderful Camino Peregrina!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back