• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waterproof Jacket/Coat

Simon B

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles and Camino Frances. VDLP Spring 2019
I am planning my third attempt at the VDLP next year and am just getting things and thoughts together. Waterproof jackets are perplexing me. For my first camino in 2016 I found a Montane Minimus jacket that was very long in the body and covered ones bottom/butt and weighed a mere 245g. Unfortunately no longer fit for purpose. No longer being produced to the same spec! All light weight waterproofs now seem to stop just below the waist so without waterproof trousers you will get a wet bottom/butt. I am thinking of the Altus poncho but am keener for a jacket. Does anyone know of a make that is lightweight but longer in the body?

Thank you and Buen Camino.

SImon B

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I take an ALTUS poncho on every Camino.
I buy the XL even though I'm only 5'3" because it nearly goes to my ankles and even keeps my feet dry.
It also unzips all the way down so I can vent it.
In addition, it hangs quite nicely off my pack for those days the rain starts, stops, starts, stops.
I have a video about it on my YouTube Channel at Anniesantiago13 if you're interested in seeing it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am planning my third attempt at the VDLP next year and am just getting things and thoughts together. Waterproof jackets are perplexing me. For my first camino in 2016 I found a Montane Minimus jacket that was very long in the body and covered ones bottom/butt and weighed a mere 245g. Unfortunately no longer fit for purpose. No longer being produced to the same spec! All light weight waterproofs now seem to stop just below the waist so without waterproof trousers you will get a wet bottom/butt. I am thinking of the Altus poncho but am keener for a jacket. Does anyone know of a make that is lightweight but longer in the body?

Thank you and Buen Camino.

SImon B
When are you walking the VDLP? I think rain gear should be the least of your worries lol but then I walked it in June. My advice: take an umbrella. Useful for the sun.

If you find a lightweight jacket you like use a rain kilt (78 grams)for your bottom half!
So easy on and off.
I understand the that so many love the Altus.
In fact i brought one ;my daughter tested with a hose it did not leak anywhere.

But i prefer the jacket; i have my 4th Haglof LIM jacket (28000mm H/Hand 240 grams) it is functional and looks quite good as well (shouldn't be so vane at my age 🤣 )
If you use an Altus i would expect to carry that, and something else as a jacket.
For me the rain kilt gives me the extra coverage from the waist down your gunna get wet feet whatever you wear Altus and rain pants included.

At the top I have an umbrella. Next a Gore-tex jacket that goes most of the way down my butt, next a rain kilt, next, light weight knee high gaiters that keep the rain out of my Gore tex boots. As an old guy I feel kinda funny wearing the kilt -- come on, it's really a skirt -- but it works and I don't get sweaty like I did when wearing rain pants. And when I am carrying my umbrella overhead, rain or shine, yes, I feel like Mary Poppins. But it REALLY works well. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It does depend on when you walk. I would recommend an umbrella that deflects UV rays. I would never walk the VDLP in late Spring or summer. I walked and started in late October and the temps were about 90-95F for more than a week. I have never used gortex for my trail runners. Boots are definitely not necessary. I use an Altus poncho.

At the top I have an umbrella. Next a Gore-tex jacket that goes most of the way down my butt, next a rain kilt, next, light weight knee high gaiters that keep the rain out of my Gore tex boots. As an old guy I feel kinda funny wearing the kilt -- come on, it's really a skirt -- but it works and I don't get sweaty like I did when wearing rain pants. And when I am carrying my umbrella overhead, rain or shine, yes, I feel like Mary Poppins. But it REALLY works well. Buen Camino
I have the same set up as you i have the zpacks vertice knee length gaiters!
I am an old guy also; not sure if it's the rain kilt or my stiletto heels that draw attention 🤣 !!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
"Really just a skirt". You really do lead with your chin don't you! This is from an 80 yr
old who's hiked a Camino 7 times with a kilt

Not sure what the age has to do with it. Unless your knees have badly wrinkled. 😏

I have a Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Nano Tarp Poncho. Very light, and It packs down to size of an orange. It is quite long, reaching to just below my knees and I am 5’10”.

Walked the VdlP last March/April and only had 2-3 days with light rain over 45 days. Had a sun/rain umbrella and lightweight gore-tex jacket for cooler mornings

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.