• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wearing Your Camino Boots On Airplane

Gerhard58

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances : April /May 2017
I'm about to embark on my Camino from South Africa to start in St Jean on 10th of April. I would like to get your input about did you fly with your walking boots on the plane. I'm quite a tall guy and I have no way to put these number 13 boots in my rucksack so I would like to know what have you done in the past it to fly with your boots or how did you do it please. Thank you for your indulgence

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have size 13 EEE feet and I agree with Notion900. Wear 'em; just don't lace 'em all the way up. Tie 'em so your ankles are free, then tuck the laces in carefully. I frequently tie them off-center and in a double-knot, so they'll stay tied and so the extra lace will tuck into (and stay in) one side of the boot.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have size 13 EEE feet and I agree with Notion900. Wear 'em; just don't lace 'em all the way up. Tie 'em so your ankles are free, then tuck the laces in carefully. I frequently tie them off-center and in a double-knot, so they'll stay tied and so the extra lace will tuck into (and stay in) one side of the boot.
Glen thank you again for your input I really appreciate it and that is what I will do

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Glenn thank you very much for what I assume would be a complement because I really don't think that I Am haverecognisable in any way but I hope that your cousin in South Africa is happy guy and I would like to meet you one day also

I'm about to embark on my Camino from South Africa to start in St Jean on 10th of April. I would like to get your input about did you fly with your walking boots on the plane. I'm quite a tall guy and I have no way to put these number 13 boots in my rucksack so I would like to know what have you done in
the past it to fly with your boots or how did you do it please. Thank you for your indulgence

Gerhard,
Like the others, wear my boots on the plane and then pop them off as soon as I get settled. It's stocking feet for most of the flight! Buen Camino y ultreya!

Hi Gerhard...not sure if you'll have the same problem as me, but I always found that travelling to Spain takes a fair amount of walking, so the boots weren't too bad. As mentioned, loosen them or take them off for long-haul, but with the weight and size of them compared with the other trainers you'll take with you, it's the best option I've found too. Enjoy your camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm about to embark on my Camino from South Africa to start in St Jean on 10th of April. I would like to get your input about did you fly with your walking boots on the plane. I'm quite a tall guy and I have no way to put these number 13 boots in my rucksack so I would like to know what have you done in the past it to fly with your boots or how did you do it please. Thank you for your indulgence

Back in 2005; 06; & 08 I climbed Mt Kilimanjaro - my walking/climbing boots came with me in the aircraft cabin. On the first two times I carried them; the third time I wore them. Your boots are what protect your feet on your 800 km journey; you have (or should) taken a few months to break them it - get your feet use to these boots; the last thing you will want is go hunting in Paris or Madrid for a new pair if they are in your checked baggage and it gets lost. Our recommendation when climbing Kili was that just about everything you take up the mountain can be replaced - but not your boots. So my recommendation - wear them - a big plus - its 1kg (or more) that wont be in your backpack. Cheers

I guess you could tie the laces together and sling them over your shoulder;). The easiest solution is to wear them. Don't worry you'll have an awesome time, I am sure of it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I may not usually wear boots on my overseas flights but size 15s do take up a lot of space. I found some 'hospital' socks which I wear on the aircraft, the fluffy expandable neck type. Gets the shoes off and I don't have to be concerned when I use the head or trod through the spilled Coke product. They almost are weightless and you can throw them away at the arrival airport if you want.

Buen camino!

I did, size 11. Just made sure I took them off once I got onboard the flight (too warm for that length of flight).

On the long haul flight from Australia, I take my boots on the plane as hand luggage. I carry them in a bright red Liquorland bag. When I get to Spain, this bag is handy for supermarket trips, and it allows fellow Aussies to say Hi to a fellow compatriot.

Wear your boots boarding the plane and carry your flipflops/sandals too. You can swap them after the seatbelt sign is turned off and enjoy a relaxed flight.

I fly in mine, and do as others have recommended: loosen those laces and get comfy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Gerhard...not sure if you'll have the same problem as me, but I always found that travelling to Spain takes a fair amount of walking, so the boots weren't too bad. As mentioned, loosen them or take them off for long-haul, but with the weight and size of them compared with the other trainers you'll take with you, it's the best option I've found too. Enjoy your camino!
Thanks my friend

Here's a tip for getting a seat on your own!

Last year I took a bus from London to Bayonne. Took my boots off in Paris and put them on the seat next to me - not bothered by anyone for the whole trip.

Buen Camino
Davie

You mention boots rather than walking shoes .
Some heavy solid hide boots, albeit fewer now than in the past, have a steel shank in the sole at roughly the mid foot . I had a pair of Scarpa boots [ from memory ] that were made in this way , I was continually made to remove and present them for further examination at security checkpoints in the 90's . Not a huge impost but time consuming and difficult to do especially when trying to catch connecting flights .

€83,-
You mention boots rather than walking shoes .
Some heavy solid hide boots, albeit fewer now than in the past, have a steel shank in the sole at roughly the mid foot . I had a pair of Scarpa boots [ from memory ] that were made in this way , I was continually made to remove and present them for further examination at security checkpoints in the 90's . Not a huge impost but time consuming and difficult to do especially when trying to catch connecting flights .

For the past three years I have been wearing ordinary leather builders' safety boots for all my long-distance walking. Steel protective inserts in the sole plus steel toecaps. Before I try to pass through airport security I always remove my boots and put them on a tray for scanning, along with my carry-on pack and jacket. I do this automatically even if no one has asked for footwear to be removed because I am 100% sure that they will trigger the metal detectors. I do not find it all that time-consuming to remove them and replace them.

I too, wear my size 47EU (13 US) Keen hiking boots on the plane, for the same reasons. Here is what I do to ensure all goes well:

1. NO GEL INSOLES... Airline security will confiscate these. Use the original or foam replacements. I have custom, prescription orthotics from my podiatrist.

2. Wear over-the-calf compression socks. I do for any long flight. It protects from DVT and lessens foot swelling. I send them ahead them ahead to Ivar at Santiago with other stuff I will not need while walking. I put on my hiking socks after arrival.

3. As others have said, loosen your laces and relax...

I hope this helps.

I wore my on board for Spain and will do the same for Scotland.
(off topic) t2Andreo, thanks for the mention of gel insoles. Just yesterday I went to the local cobbler to purchase some. He said if I wanted gel, he'd have to refer me to another shop, as he doesn't believe in them. I went with his recommendation. Buen Camino Gerhard58.

Gerhard,
Like the others, wear my boots on the plane and then pop them off as soon as I get settled. It's stocking feet for most of the flight! Buen Camino y ultreya!
I take my boots or shoes off as soon as I am seated - even on a short flight.

Do you have confidence in your airline enough to entrust them with your most vital equipment?
You want to find size 13EE boots off the self in France or Spain. You would need an extra lucky star.
We recommend that you dress in your walking gear when you get on the plane.
You can buy the rest if you have a problem and the road will provide what you need.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am answering your post while sitting in coach on a coast to coast flight and also wearing my size 14 boots that I will be wearing on my next Camino in 2 months. Hopefully your boots will be well enough broken in that they will be as comfortable as mine. I'm wearing size 14 Vasque's. No problem.Buen Camino.

I take mine off and pop them under the seat in front.
I then rest my stockined feet on top of them.
This provides just enough height to prevent my ankles swelling.
Regards and happy feet!
Gerard

Large boots must mean kinda tall too? If so, I would also surmise that the Aisle seat is a preference, or the first row or exit row over the wings, where there is usually extra leg room. Please do as others have recommended and if necessary, take them off, tie the laces together and stow them under the seat or in the overhead compartment. Whatever makes you comfortable

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Here's a tip for getting a seat on your own!

Last year I took a bus from London to Bayonne. Took my boots off in Paris and put them on the seat next to me - not bothered by anyone for the whole trip.

Buen Camino
Davie
Might clear even more space on the way back from a Camino!

Regardless of my destination, if I am planning to wear my boots at any time during a trip, I always wear my boots on the plane. Otherwise, I lose precious weight allowance in my checked luggage and precious space in my carry on bag. As you know, hiking boots are really comfy!

"NO GEL INSOLES... Airline security will confiscate these."

Is this really true. I've never had this happen or heard of it before. Is this a new rule?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
"NO GEL INSOLES... Airline security will confiscate these."

Is this really true. I've never had this happen or heard of it before. Is this a new rule?
No idea, but never liked gel insoles anyway

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.