• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather information for Spain and Portugal

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
Since I am still not expecting to be on the Camino soon, I'm trying to do useful things with my time here on the forum.

I would like to create the ultimate weather thread - to be linked to a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) series. When people ask "what will the weather be like in month X", everyone recounts their own experience, which is great fun. But where should we refer those people for the best information?

Feel free to give links to good weather information sites, or even describe what you would tell someone who asks about the weather. Remember that usually they are trying to figure out what clothes or equipment they need to pack.

(Of course, I could research this myself, but that would be work, and I know the forum community would like to help!) ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
weatherspark.com is my go-to for understanding what to expect. The data there can be a little bit puzzling out of context, so the FIRST location you should look up and study is your own home town. After you know what the real weather is where you live, its easy to say, oh, Burgos is 3 degrees colder, but has half as much rain in April as where I live.

Planners should also realize that the Camino is LONG and you walk through several different climates, including alpine, high almost-desert, and finishing in Galicia with its temperate rain forest. weatherspark.com has all the major towns along The Way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For realtime conditions, and modelled expectations for the next days, I rely on Windy. It's a fantastic app (or you can access it in a browser window, of course).
Here are rain condions now, giving.a sense of what you see. If from the app you were to press the play arrow, it would give you forcasted conditions for several days ahead. Also, winds at several altitudes, cloud cover, particulates, surf, etc...if you want all that.
Screenshot_20210415-114221_Windy.jpg

Nullschool is similar, but I prefer Windy, finding it easier to use in zooming in and out and moving around.

Last edited:
For realtime conditions, and modelled expectations for the next days, I rely on Windy.
It's a fantastic apo.
Here are rain condions now, giving.a sense of what you see. If from the app you were to press the play arrow, it would give you forcasted conditions for several days ahead. Also, winds at several altitudes, cloud cover, particulates, etc...if you want all that.
View attachment 97680
I forgot it! Really good

For realtime conditions, and modelled expectations for the next days, I rely on Windy.
It's a fantastic apo.
Here are rain condions now, giving.a sense of what you see. If from the app you were to press the play arrow, it would give you forcasted conditions for several days ahead. Also, winds at several altitudes, cloud cover, particulates, etc...if you want all that.
View attachment 97680
Love windy! Use it to suss out what the weather is doing on the large scale and its very usefull
I use radarscope for when it counts here in the states. Its a paid app and not really user friendly enough to use in a tight spot,thats what the windy app is for...but when i chase storms and tornadoes its my go too.

I usually keep to the yard as i may need to move inventory out of hail and other stuff.

Ime sure many many of the forum members would be old hand with radarscope so hence the recomendation.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Another realtime weather condition App is the Norwegian YR

It’s like looking out of the window all day as you scroll sideways … you will see clouds if any, and the sunrise and its position on the sky throughout the day. If it rains it will rain on your screen too…

IMG_5867.jpg

I shared a resource a while ago that displays the average temperature for each stage of a Camino from weatherspark. There are hyperlinks above each chart for that city, and on the left and right side of the chart to navigate to the previous or next day for the city.

The resource contains an Excel spreadsheet that allows the entry of a start date (with pre-planned stages). Additionally, it could be modified with custom stages and/or dates.

Planning - Camino Average Temperatures 2.0

0001.jpg0002.jpg0003.jpg0004.jpg0006.jpg0007.jpg
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ning-camino-average-temperatures.780/download

Attachments

• 0005.jpg
    0005.jpg
    751.9 KB · Views: 19
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I shared a resource a while ago that displays the average temperature for each stage of a Camino from weatherspark. There are hyperlinks above each chart for that city, and on the left and right side of the chart to navigate to the previous or next day for the city.

The resource contains an Excel spreadsheet that allows the entry of a start date (with pre-planned stages). Additionally, it could be modified with custom stages and/or dates.

View attachment 97704View attachment 97705View attachment 97706View attachment 97707View attachment 97709View attachment 97710
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ning-camino-average-temperatures.780/download
That's cool!

My ideal information source would be a site or database where I could put in a location on a Camino, and a day of the calendar year (e.g. 15 April) and it would supply:
- the charts of average temperatures at different times of day (as above)
- a chart of the daily highs and lows for the past 20 years or so so I can see the trending change and rate of change to inform my predictions

That's cool!

My ideal information source would be a site or database where I could put in a location on a Camino, and a day of the calendar year (e.g. 15 April) and it would supply:
- the charts of average temperatures at different times of day (as above)
- a chart of the daily highs and lows for the past 20 years or so so I can see the trending change and rate of change to inform my predictions
Here is a sample. Download in Chrome, and open the file.

For realtime conditions, and modelled expectations for the next days, I rely on Windy. It's a fantastic app (or you can access it in a browser window, of course).
I agree. One of the very useful screens on Windy shows a map with the predicted number of centimeters of new snow (or accumulated snow depth, depending on what you choose) for coming days. It helps you decide if it is prudent to forge ahead in winter months, and if not, where to detour to where there will be less accumulated snow. If you are new to using Windy, I wrote some tips on how to get started here in our journal.

Meteoblue is great for forecasts gathered from more than one source.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Since I am still not expecting to be on the Camino soon, I'm trying to do useful things with my time here on the forum.

I would like to create the ultimate weather thread - to be linked to a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) series. When people ask "what will the weather be like in month X", everyone recounts their own experience, which is great fun. But where should we refer those people for the best information?

Feel free to give links to good weather information sites, or even describe what you would tell someone who asks about the weather. Remember that usually they are trying to figure out what clothes or equipment they need to pack.

(Of course, I could research this myself, but that would be work, and I know the forum community would like to help!) ;)
For a simple overview of the daily local forecast giving figures and pictorial information I have used XCWeather.co.uk . I used it on holiday in Portugal last year and will use it on my next camino. You put in your current location - e.g. Porto, or Seville or wherever your nearest town is; or let your phone find your current location.
It gives the following forecast information by hour:
the hour; wind direction as an arrow; wind speed as a figure; temperature as a figure; rain in mm (if applicable) and a pictorial icon for sun, cloud etc.
You can also scroll down to see the forecast for the next few days.

1618583238891.png...and if it is an overview of climate I want (as opposed to a short term forecast) I go to a site like https://weather-and-climate.com and then type in the town or city of interest. You are then presented with easy-to-understand charts for temperature ranges, rainfall etc. like the above which is for Seville temperature throughout the year; and the one below which is for Seville rainfall throughout the year.

1618583749231.png

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

View attachment 97704View attachment 97705View attachment 97706View attachment 97707View attachment 97709View attachment 97710
This is a great planning aid, @linkster . I have used weatherspark's monthly temperature estimates for locations along the Levante in September and October to help me plan my camino, hopefully for this fall. But when to start? I would like mid-September and the temperature sheets suggest that is about perfect: a little warm for me but cooling off along the route and not likely to have snow by my arrival in Santiago. November may be rainy in Galicia but that can't be helped. I feel eager to get going when I can. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Another realtime weather condition App is the Norwegian YR

It’s like looking out of the window all day as you scroll sideways … you will see clouds if any, and the sunrise and its position on the sky throughout the day. If it rains it will rain on your screen too…

View attachment 97682
Seem like yr is bussing abroad to scale.....as a user years back I really am comfortable recommending this one qualitative app...

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Can someone please describe the difference between the Wise Pilgrim print edition, the kindle edition, and the app for the Camino Primitivo? I mean up-to-date info, ease of use, etc. If I got the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.