• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

what Camera option are people using

At the point you leave everything in the pack I also don't see any reason not to carry a camera due to it's value and thief chance.
This doesn't make sense really.

Everytime you use your camera you are advertising it to any people who might be of the disposition to steal it - so you are already more attractive to potential thieves. Also my camera and a lens would cost me £4k to replace - totally different to a mobile phone and passport which would be more of an inconvenience than an expensive disaster.

It is of course personal choice, and there is a marked difference between judging situations and naivety.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I got too frustrated when first bringing my new Fujifilm camera w zoom:
First to guard it from the rain, it was wrapped in a plastic bag, and every time, I wanted a shot, had to perform a routine: Plastic off, hands off the walking sticks, then compose the shot, focus, then a shot maybe several. Then reverse the action.
I would be frustrated to have my walking rhythm stopped, just as much as I wanted to take a photo. Like I could not do both processes.
Enveloped in ambulating contemplation, I had to abort and do another process. Sometimes I would simply not take the shot, for which I was later sorry.
Thinking too much of the safety of the camera also infuriated me, ut was simply an item too much, and I loove cameraes since I was fourteen...always too precious to lose.
So I turned to phone cameras and have not looked back...
I am subscribing to Google Photo, so every time I have the opportunity to upload when near a wifi connection, this is what I do, the lenses in the phones are spectacular
It makes it so much spontaneous, a smile is caught with one simplemovement and a tap on the release...
Then when I get home, I can edit all the photos in the comfort my own surroundings. Almost as good as being there. And you can make it arty farty as well, if you have that inclination...

unedited:
1716228776890.png 1716228918405.png

Starting in Pamplona next week for Camino #3. I'm planing to bring a Leica Q3. But there's a chance I may just pack my 30 year-old M6 and a few rolls of film. I only need one lens: a fast 35 f/1.4

I'd say that whether you use a phone or camera depends on why you're taking photos at all. If just for memories and documentation, use a phone. If you care about photography and want to make beautiful photographs of your journey, bring a good camera.
You may need a more than a few rolls of film!
Q3 is the way to go, I wish I had space to have taken my Q2M last month, but I was at full capacity.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Most read last week in this forum

I've now completed 3 Caminos including the Francés, Inglés (with a León-Sarria side trip) and Arles-Aragónes-Francés. I've hiked and backpacked most of my life. I've learned from others and by...
Hi all! I know shoes are discussed quite a bit here but I have a last minute question as I head out on the Camino Frances next Sunday. I have a weaker ankle so I purchase the Oboz Sapphire Mid...
I stopped in the pilgrim store Armería Castro.Deportes y Tienda del peregrino today, and they carry bags of wool to use on your feet. https://maps.app.goo.gl/Zb8fM4AK2qyCuGYt6?g_st=ac

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.