• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What does 'Gronze' mean?.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I do, and often have it translate. But that doesn't change the language the site is published in. As is often evidenced by place names in the Chrome translation.
Well it 'is' a Spanish site, in Spain ;)
Or maybe I'm missing your point?

I often turn off the translation as it doesn't help when looking for place names!

We still have pages on our business site in Thai, Vietnamese, Mandarin...
Back in the days before auto translate.
To say it was an 'pain' to maintain would be a massive understatement.
Only big businesses do it these days I think, and even then likely use AI or something.

Last edited:
I often turn off the translation as it doesn't help when looking for place names!
That's an important point - it can be confusing if you view the names of places or businesses on the translated page. I realized this the first time using Gronze when I was trying to figure out where the heck "queen bridge" was... 😅

Well it 'is' a Spanish site, in Spain ;)
Or maybe I'm missing your point?

We still have pages on our business site in Thai, Vietnamese, Mandarin...
Back in the days before auto translate.
To say it was an 'pain' to maintain would be a massive understatement.
Only big businesses do it these days I think, and even then likely use AI or something.
I wasn't complaining that it was in Spanish only in post #3. I was just noting the fact, unlike most of the other resources we refer people to (not surprising since this is an English language site). If you saw the ?! as resulting from it being in Spanish only, that wasn't the intent. The ?! was that the word "gronze" apparently didn't mean what I suggested.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I wasn't complaining that it was in Spanish only in post #3. I was just noting the fact, unlike most of the other resources we refer people to (not surprising since this is an English language site). If you saw the ?! as resulting from it being in Spanish only, that wasn't the intent. The ?! was that the word "gronze" apparently didn't mean what I suggested.

Ah Got it. My apologies. :)

Take no notice of the Gronze accomodation reviews.
On the Le Puy route we wrote an adverse review about a Gite where we found dirty sheets, pillows and quite a few other things that needed improvement.
Gronze deleted my review,
We met a German woman a few days later who stayed at the same Gite but on a different date.
Gronze deleted her review and changed the Gite information page so no-one could leave any further reviews.
By all means use Gronze but going by what happened to our reviews, beware.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On the Le Puy route we wrote an adverse review about a Gite where we found dirty sheets, pillows and quite a few other things that needed improvement.
We met a German woman a few days later who stayed at the same Gite but on a different date.
Gronze deleted her review and changed the Gite information page so no-one could leave any further reviews.

I've read lots of negative reviews on Gronze.
I always read the reviews, and tend to ignore the very upset ones who would probably not be happy anywhere, but the rest always gave a fairly accurate balance. I make sure to leave reviews too as I find them useful. Good and not so good.

I understood it was Gronze policy, that an establishment that refused to take reviews, would not be listed.

It sounds to me like there was a dispute between the establishment and Gronze.
I wonder if the place is still listed?

Maybe you could DM me the listing? I'm curious to look.

Last edited:
At the time we gave the appropriate explanations for the reason why the two reviews were deleted.

At the time we gave the appropriate explanations for the reason why the two reviews were deleted.
Joan - it looks like my review was reinstated at some time but no-one from Gronze told me it has been reinstated and I wasn’t any wiser.
It also looks like Gronze members can now leave reviews and indeed someone else left a negative review of that Gite a month later.
It is the original review that I wrote as well.
I never saw the review that the German lady wrote so I can’t say if it contravened your guidelines.
For my part, I owe you an apology for saying that Gronze can’t be trusted because as Robbo pointed out my review is there even though my IPhone on which I wrote the review won’t, show it to me on screen for some reason. I truely believed you had deleted my review for that reason.
I understand that reviews are problematic in that sometimes people are untruthful both in the negative and positive.
Further I don’t like leaving poor reviews because it could affect the Gite owners and employees livelihoods but by the same token guests are paying hard earned euros and deserve to have an acceptable standard of accommodation.
Regards
Graham

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I like gronze (Catalan onze, as @jungleboy explained, not French) very much indeed. There's always a small sigh of relief when I move from a camino not fully covered by gronze (Castellano-Aragonés, Lana, Olvidado, Allerano, CZP etc) to one that is, like joining the Madrid last week.

The "Al loro" section almost always has something surprising, amusing, useful or just odd and worth reading.

Is there some way to support the site (financially), because it really deserves it?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I like gronze (Catalan onze, as @jungleboy explained, not French) very much indeed. There's always a small sigh of relief when I move from a camino not fully covered by gronze (Castellano-Aragonés, Lana, Olvidado, Allerano, CZP etc) to one that is, like joining the Madrid last week.

The "Al loro" section almost always has something surprising, amusing, useful or just odd and worth reading.

Is there some way to support the site (financially), because it really deserves it?

No, your good words about the website are enough... ;)

Most read last week in this forum

My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello! I am following the instructions about editing my ACCOUNT DETAILS since I want to change the year of my past/present Camino/s but when I go to this page, the Past/Present Camino/s option is...
Is it possible to private message other members? I have tried clicking on the name of the person I’d like to message (a mod, to ask when the monthly start date threads are posted) but all I see is...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.