• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What exercises to do to strengthen lower back?

clarkandkaren

Time of past OR future Camino
March (2020)
I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago.

In the meantime, I have an question regarding what specific back-strengthening exercises any of you have engaged to help offset the strain.
First, however, some specifics regarding my question:
1) I have a bulging disc at L5/S4.
2) I have mildly herniated discs at C6, 7 and 8. (All of these issues are from an automobile accident at the age of 5---more than 60 years ago.
3) My leg strength is not as issue as I regularly ride 500-600km a week with 2000 to 4000m of climbing.

Because of the low back issue, I cannot do squats or lunges. I am quite capable of lat pulldowns, and single-arm rowing. I also can hold a full plank position for 5 minutes without knees touching the floor.

I am quite concerned however that my low back is FAR FROM the 20km of walking a day with a pack that ..I now have down to 8kg.
Any exercise suggestions would be appreciated.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago.

In the meantime, I have an question regarding what specific back-strengthening exercises any of you have engaged to help offset the strain.
2) I have mildly herniated discs at C6, 7 and 8. (All of these issues are from an automobile accident at the age of 5---more than 60 years ago.
3) My leg strength is not as issue as I regularly ride 500-600km a week with 2000 to 4000m of climbing.

Because of the low back issue, I cannot do squats or lunges. I am quite capable of lat pulldowns, and single-arm rowing. I also can hold a full plank position for 5 minutes without knees touching the floor.

I am quite concerned however that my low back is FAR FROM the 20km of walking a day with a pack that ..I now have down to 8kg.
I have a +/- 1cm displacement in the sacro-iliac and have lived with lower back pain for near 40 years. 6 weeks of novel exercise isn’t going to change a thing. I actually find carrying my properly fitted and loaded 7-10kg backpack a lot more comfortable than wandering back from town with a couple of shopping bags or lifting my grandsons on and off the toilet.

@SabsP is on the nail when she suggests seeking qualified advice rather than random opinions from the internet

I mean, you sound pretty fit already, probably much fitter than many of us who had no issues carrying a pack of a similar weight. So I wouldn't suggest anything other than maybe doing some long walks with your loaded pack in the 6 weeks you have, and making sure you have it fitted and adjusted as well as possible for when you start.

I mean, you sound pretty fit already, probably much fitter than many of us who had no issues carrying a pack of a similar weight. So I wouldn't suggest anything other than maybe doing some long walks with your loaded pack in the 6 weeks you have, and making sure you have it fitted and adjusted as well as possible for when you start.
Thanks! I was thinking to do more core strengthening work. I'm not an "avid" hiker....though it's not a huge effort to walk 6-10km at night after a 100-150km bike ride earlier in the day. I do worry about waking up ...6 or 7 days into the French Camino..and my back giving me more problems than anticipated. I will try to focus each morning on doing some prolonged stretching before picking up my backpack!! .. Thanks!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I am quite concerned however that my low back is FAR FROM the 20km of walking a day with a pack
Well, I am 75 and don't even know what those exercises are, let alone be able to do them. However, I can carry a 5-7 kg backpack and walk for 20 km/day. The backpack needs to fit you right and transfer weight to your hips and legs. Your specific lower back injuries need specific advice which we cannot give.

Have you tried walking 20 km with your backpack and poles, to see how it is? Better still would be to do it 2 or 3 days in a row as a good test of your shoes, backpack, and walking clothes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you find you do have issues with a pack, consider changing your pack to an Aarnpack. I have friends that are avid bushwalkers who can only keep going with this kind of pack due to the brilliant ergonomics. Those of us with Aarnpacks tend to be total converts and have real collections of them.

Thanks! I was thinking to do more core strengthening work. I'm not an "avid" hiker....though it's not a huge effort to walk 6-10km at night after a 100-150km bike ride earlier in the day. I do worry about waking up ...6 or 7 days into the French Camino..and my back giving me more problems than anticipated. I will try to focus each morning on doing some prolonged stretching before picking up my backpack!! .. Thanks!!
I am training myself. I hope to begin hiking the 7th of May. I have been hiking 3-4 miles on the trails here in Colorado with the exact pack I am going to be doing the Camino with. completely packed, camel back as well. And even with some hiking experience, I have learned that learning how to pack a pack and how it should fit to the back and hips where the intent is for your hips to carry the load.

Then i do about 3-5 just walking on top of that. But I would recommend trying to simulate the experience here before you get there and discover your back can't take that kind of load OR that you need a different/better pack.

I recently purchased a hyper-lite pack and I can say that not only is it lightweight, but it is also very comfortable as it rests on my back, unlike any other pack I have used. But again, try to simulate it here, see how it goes and check minimalist lists to reduce the weight as much as possible. two cents from someone who is learning as i go... Lol

"My leg strength is not as issue as I regularly ride 500-600km a week with 2000 to 4000m of climbing."

That is fine if you are cycling the Camino, but with only 6 weeks until you start, make sure you train for actual walking. Other than adding to your general strength and fitness, cycling and walking are not interchangeable, and I am a firm believer that the best way to train for an activity is to do that activity. Check with a good sport physiotherapist and ensure bird-dogs and supermans (both great for lower back) are appropriate with your existing issue. Start carrying your pack now with ever-increasing weight, over ever-increasing distances to minimize problems on the trail.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree with the others...see a physical therapist for specific exercises.
Short of that swim doing side stroke or a modified backstroke (both arms at once vs alternating arms), if you have a place to do so. Great for the back, easy on the spine and builds cardiovascular fitness.

I was thinking to do more core strengthening work.
If you can hold a plank for 5 minutes your core isn't going to need anymore strengthening, and too much can sometimes cause more problems especially if you start tightening up your psoas which can then lead to lower back problems.

You aren't planning huge days. Take your time on the harder stretches. The most important thing will be making sure your pack is packed properly and fitted to your body to provide optimal weight distribution and support.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You have received a lot of good suggestions about back exercises and walking the Camino so I have a couple of suggestions from a cycling pov.

* Why not cycle the Camino? You're obviously a very competent cyclist, the bike carries the weight and you can ride as many or as few kilometres as you want.

* Are you currently riding too much? Why not ride less, walk more, Pilates might help you. And as an aside how do you manage to ride those sort of weekly distances, most of us have other stuff to do when home? I can do 500km / week on tour but at home that becomes 120km (mostly off road).

* In your 65+ years you should know by now what aggravates your back problem and how to manage the pain & injuries. For me, at 74, daily stretching + weights, Pilates & general keep-fit once a week then about three rides / week keep me reasonably fit.

However I am not a hiker (I'd rather bike 100kms that hike 10kms) and would probably feel the same way as you if ever contemplating a long distance hike.

Hope you find the answer y buen camino. Richard

I have a herniated disc and when I walked the Frances my back did not give me any problems at all. When I told my doctor about it he said that carrying a pack and walking were great for my back.

Look up Mayo clinic back exercises.

Landstar

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have a herniated disc and when I walked the Frances my back did not give me any problems at all. When I told my doctor about it he said that carrying a pack and walking were great for my back.

Good to hear your personal doctor told you this was a good option for your personal situation.
It might be otherwise for the OP.

Go to a Physical Therapist immediately if you haven't done so already. Obviously there are different exercises for different conditions. Let the therapist be your guide and let the therapist show you how to do them properly.

Strengthen your core. Do planks, Superman positions, and other similar exercises

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am convinced that yoga and targeted stretching is the key, at least for me. Strength may not be helpful if you cannot move. My back gives me issues and at age 60 I finally discovered the magic of morning and evening stretching and some yoga.

There’s a nerve that runs through the piriformis muscle. If that muscle is tight then you have back pain, cramping and pain radiating down the leg. It feels like a back issue but it’s actually the piriformis.

In my experience, having suffered from sciatica for years and having undertaken many multi day walks, stretching before and after the day’s walk is probably the best thing you’ll do. Whenever I stopped I always do shoulder rolls and stretch out my lower back. Your practitioner will advise the best stretches in your particular case. Changing socks also provides a major comfort/psychological boost.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

All the advice you get here helps the people who give it, but it does not guarantee that it is good for you. So it is better to make an appointment with your doctor or a physiotherapist to be safe.🙏🏻

I also have had some back issues, I’m sure some will disagree with what I’m about to say but for me carrying a larger pack is better. I find the wide waist straps to be very supportive and the pack itself has great suspension. I have an Osprey Aura 50. Yes, its heavier, but I feel better walking with it than without and I resist the urge to overfill it.

Backs are as individual as fingerprints, no two are the same , especially injured ones .
Sixty eight , two fused vertebrae, one laminectomy , many successful treks .
My one piece of advice is to be very wary and very prepared when putting on or taking off your pack . It is when you are eager to get going or when you are tired after a long day that the Demon of back pain will take advantage and strike .

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Suggestions: since you are extremely fit due to cycling, but concerned about walking with a pack, get the pack weight down to 4 kg. Unless you are already very lean, lose body weight also. You are very strong in upper body, so if you were not already planning on using trekking poles, plan on them, train extensively with them, and use them aggressively EVERY step of your Camino. If trekking poles can take 25% of the load off your feet, then by definition I would think they could take a similar amount of load off your back. I know little about back injuries, but I suspect impact from walkng, jumping, running aggravates. A walking coach may be able to help you attain a style that minimizes the jarring. Sports orthopedist, podiatrist and orthotist may be able to assist with better gait and shoes with appropriate cushion.

No. Cycling has been part of my life for almost 40 years and in no way a detriment to any physical aspect. The back issues were caused by a variety of injuries long before cycling became an integral part of my life. I’ve hiked several 3-5 day, 20km or more distances without issue. My concern here is that I’m planning 3-4 months of walking which creates a ..very new dynamic/concern.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
66 yo with 50 years of back issues. Walking with a pack always HELPS my back. Whether Camino, AT or other, I'm always better after the hiking. I certainly wouldn't try anything new just before starting a trip. I leave in 2 weeks 😀

I like the idea of finding a physical therapist for specific exercises. Just my own experience.. I have pretty mild scoliosis and yoga has gotten rid of my lower back pain. Child's pose, cat/cows, a gentle low cobra feel really positive for me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ballet & martial arts… that is what is keeping me going these days. I am 10+ years past my back surgery.

I find walking with poles keeps me more upright, and takes some of the pressure off my lower back. If I walk without poles for more than 2 hours I get a sore lower back that I need to stretch out after. Also, doing some stretching (lower back stretches that work for me) at the end of the day works best for me, and maybe some mobility exercises in the morning before heading off.

I am 75 years old, go to gym regularly, walk 2-3 times per week, have been doing yin yoga once a week for 10 years and have my own physiotherapist (my nephew). I have done 3 Caminos and am planning to start a fourth one in May this year.

Buen Camino!

I find walking with poles keeps me more upright, and takes some of the pressure off my lower back. If I walk without poles for more than 2 hours I get a sore lower back that I need to stretch out after. Also, doing some stretching (lower back stretches that work for me) at the end of the day works best for me, and maybe some mobility exercises in the morning before heading off.

I am 75 years old, go to gym regularly, walk 2-3 times per week, have been doing yin yoga once a week for 10 years and have my own physiotherapist (my nephew). I have done 3 Caminos and am planning to start a fourth one in May this year.

Buen Camino!
That is inspiring! 62 slowly getting into yoga and walking both with and without fully loaded pack. trying to simulate the hike and test my gear. practice helps find weak spots that might be hard to deal with in Spain.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You need to strengthen your core muscles. This is best achieved through yoga or Pilates. I am a yoga teacher for over 20 years and my classes are full of people like you who by strengthening the core turns their life around (think of them as the guy ropes of your body). I also have L4 L5 S1 S2 issues and walked 4 caminos. 5th coming up in June. I agree with others that a well balanced backpack is very supportive to the lumbar region. Option 2 buy a lumbar support belt to wear under your clothes. Also important to check in with physio, osteo or chiro (or whomever your treating professional may be) - they will however confirm that core strength is not negotiable ! Good luck with it all.

Firstly, with a major L5/S1 problem, how are you able to road cycle without chronic pain?
And clearly, you’re way beyond supermen, swimmer and other beginner back strengthening exercises.

Like you, I have major lumbar ( L1 (gone from a burst fracture), L4, L5) and major cervical (C3-C7) issues, so I have a fair understanding of your situation. I also have a host of health difficulties from 2 autoimmune diseases, from bouts of chronic anemia to chronic fatigue to organ impingement to loss of functionality, besides the well known affected joints. Like you, despite all, I’m in great cardio shape … from mountain biking. Yesterday, during my cardio stress test, at the steepest incline and fastest pace, the nurse commented that mountain biking must be good for me because I was still conversing and not out of breath.

Here’s how I backpacked, post major back trauma, on multiple steep ascents (9,000 ft elevation gain) and downhills with 25 lbs/11 kg, despite my bad back.
- In the 3 months before my trek, I strengthened my core, which mitigates a bad back, by mountain biking up very steep hills (1600-1900 ft elevation gain) multiple times each ride, 3-4X/week, since I could no longer do abs nor pushups. Multi-minute planks didn’t feel like enough to me to strengthen my core, but that’s just me.
- I switched to an Osprey pack. Super lightweight, keeps my back comfortably cool. Sleek, intelligent design, with no waisted bulk, straps, zippers, or pack weight.
- I had my Osprey pack adjusted to properly fit my back by a seasoned backpacking outfittrr, as I have a short torso and long legs.
- I packed everything as tightly bundled as possible, and as close to my back as possible, with lightest weight nearest my hips, and going vertically upwards, the heaviest weight just barely above my shoulders. I hated the waist/hip belt because it made my lumbar region spasm. I made sure to use the chest strap, since it kept the heaviest packed weights close to my shoulders.
- I used ultra lightweight trekking poles, which made a difference in stability, thus stabilizing my hips and core while trekking.
- This part is very important, as I’m sure you’re aware from what your physical therapist would have instructed: I stayed in perfect posture form from my butt to my head. I pivoted my whole body, in order to maintain perfect form. No turning the head, and no straining the neck and shoulders.
- Every night, I took 10+ minutes to stretch, holding some stretches for 2 minutes. Anyone who says stretching for more than X minutes has not yet experienced major trauma that caused permanent damage, nerve impingement, and chronic pain.
- I religiously took 2 Tylenol extra strength 650 mg every night and every morning with a meal.
- If the pain kept me awake at night, I used a topical, Voltaren gel (Naproxan sodium), which is shockingly an OTD now, considering the potential fatality from cardiac arrest or stroke, when used incorrectly.
- If the pain was unbearable, and 8+ hours after using Voltaren gel, I did this 2X: I took a quarter slice of oxycodone 5mg (leftovers from post-surgery). Unlike the unfortunate, I have not yet had a problem with stopping oxycodone or hydrocodone post-surgery. The oxycodone never made me sleepy on the trail, but it took the edge off of the pain, so that I could keep hiking.

Firstly, with a major L5/S1 problem, how are you able to road cycle without chronic pain?
And clearly, you’re way beyond supermen, swimmer and other beginner back strengthening exercises.

Like you, I have major lumbar ( L1 (gone from a burst fracture), L4, L5) and major cervical (C3-C7) issues, so I have a fair understanding of your situation. I also have a host of health difficulties from 2 autoimmune diseases, from bouts of chronic anemia to chronic fatigue to organ impingement to loss of functionality, besides the well known affected joints. Like you, despite all, I’m in great cardio shape … from mountain biking. Yesterday, during my cardio stress test, at the steepest incline and fastest pace, the nurse commented that mountain biking must be good for me because I was still conversing and not out of breath.

Here’s how I backpacked, post major back trauma, on multiple steep ascents (9,000 ft elevation gain) and downhills with 25 lbs/11 kg, despite my bad back.
- In the 3 months before my trek, I strengthened my core, which mitigates a bad back, by mountain biking up very steep hills (1600-1900 ft elevation gain) multiple times each ride, 3-4X/week, since I could no longer do abs nor pushups. Multi-minute planks didn’t feel like enough to me to strengthen my core, but that’s just me.
- I switched to an Osprey pack. Super lightweight, keeps my back comfortably cool. Sleek, intelligent design, with no waisted bulk, straps, zippers, or pack weight.
- I had my Osprey pack adjusted to properly fit my back by a seasoned backpacking outfittrr, as I have a short torso and long legs.
- I packed everything as tightly bundled as possible, and as close to my back as possible, with lightest weight nearest my hips, and going vertically upwards, the heaviest weight just barely above my shoulders. I hated the waist/hip belt because it made my lumbar region spasm. I made sure to use the chest strap, since it kept the heaviest packed weights close to my shoulders.
- I used ultra lightweight trekking poles, which made a difference in stability, thus stabilizing my hips and core while trekking.
- This part is very important, as I’m sure you’re aware from what your physical therapist would have instructed: I stayed in perfect posture form from my butt to my head. I pivoted my whole body, in order to maintain perfect form. No turning the head, and no straining the neck and shoulders.
- Every night, I took 10+ minutes to stretch, holding some stretches for 2 minutes. Anyone who says stretching for more than X minutes has not yet experienced major trauma that caused permanent damage, nerve impingement, and chronic pain.
- I religiously took 2 Tylenol extra strength 650 mg every night and every morning with a meal.
- If the pain kept me awake at night, I used a topical, Voltaren gel (Naproxan sodium), which is shockingly an OTD now, considering the potential fatality from cardiac arrest or stroke, when used incorrectly.
- If the pain was unbearable, and 8+ hours after using Voltaren gel, I did this 2X: I took a quarter slice of oxycodone 5mg (leftovers from post-surgery). Unlike the unfortunate, I have not yet had a problem with stopping oxycodone or hydrocodone post-surgery. The oxycodone never made me sleepy on the trail, but it took the edge off of the pain, so that I could keep hiking.
WOW! Thank you for the detailed information and your specific treatments. It is always good to hear real world experience, and a lot of what you do would apply to most people, even healthy people, to assist their physical condition.

€60,-
I've been a yoga instructor for 22 years, and I agree with a number of the others here that no one, no matter how qualified and experienced, can safely provide advice online about your spine. Please follow the advice of those wise people here who strongly recommended that you go to a qualified physiotherapist and have that person, after assessing x-rays, watching you walk, etc. Will develop a program specifically for you.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.