• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What I Learned After My First Camino

Justin of the South

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago (2014)
- I needed a lot less than I thought I would and I didn't bring that much to begin with.
- Generosity abounds.
- You will be hard pressed to run out of food or water...ever. I used a water "system" that worked well for reducing weight: I drank a full water bottle whenever I crossed paths with a fountain and rarely held more than half of a bottle of water on my pack. Do what is comfortable for you though.
- You can easily pick up extra gear and clothes for free in the albergues.
- Books come and go.
- Maps are everywhere.
- Candy bars taste great in the mountains.
- That little snack trailer in the Pyrenees was heaven sent. (best boiled egg ever)
- A bandana and sun hat are essential gear.
- The walking stick you find becomes your friend and traveling companion and you will grow to feel fondly toward it, even though it's a stick. (Mine has a new life in America as a wind chime after it finally broke in Dublin.)
- You will always find a place to sleep, even if it's outside. Don't rush to get to off the trail, if you walk past 3pm you can have completely different experiences.
- Walking in Spain by moonlight, surrounded by silence and darkness is a lot of fun.
- "Leche con hielo por favor" became one of my go-to phrases in cafes. (milk is not served cold in Spain)
- Meeting people and making friends is one of the best parts of the Camino. (I met folks from 44 different countries!)
- Buy snacks from the local vendors selling in the woods or along the farm roads. The figs and walnuts were a much welcome change of pace. Eat an avocado like an apple.
- If you have a chance to take a detour or side trip, go for it. San Bol was a detour for me and it was one of the best albergues I stayed in.
- Don't open or incessantly crinkle your bag of chips in the albergues in the morning or at night.
- If the albergue is too noisy or uncomfortable, you can always sleep outside.
- "Buen Caminos" get a lot less enthusiastic as the days go by.
- Spanish street cats are very hungry and will eat pretty much anything you feed them.
- Spanish dogs are not the same as American dogs.
- A smile goes along way.
- Those blisters need to be drained.
- If you want to walk alone, it's OK to say so.
- The Camino is a life-enriching experience and I would gladly do it again (but probably take a different route!)

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
- I needed a lot less than I thought I would and I didn't bring that much to begin with.
- Generosity abounds ...
-The Camino is a life-enriching experience and I would gladly do it again (but probably take a different route!)
Buen Camino!

On a similar but very familiar note for members of this forum, a local volunteer columnist tells what her friend learned on the CdS. In brief,

1: Lighten the load, and get along with less.

2: Pace yourself, and you’ll get there.

3: Be grateful for each day’s gifts.

4: This is your camino. Where does it lead next?

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/article38946261.html#storylink=cpy

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.