• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What portion to have family join us is best?

Joni40

Hi everyone-
need advice from some of you with more experience on the camino. My husband wants to do a portion of it with me- and i don't know what portion I should have him do with me-- the beginning or the end. I like the idea of him starting off with me, cause then he would be a part of the excitement of starting the camino and I would in some ways feel more comfortable that there were 2 of us finding our way from the U.S. to Madrid to SJPdP to get me started. However, in some ways it would be great if we could meet up to walk the end portion to celebrate the end and see the cathedral and then come home together. The only problem I can forsee is meeting up somewhere in the middle, although I am sure there are plenty of ways to stay in touch with each other to meet, if needed. Advice please on what others have successfully done---
thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Joni40 said:
Hi everyone-
need advice from some of you with more experience on the camino. My husband wants to do a portion of it with me- and i don't know what portion I should have him do with me-- the beginning or the end. I like the idea of him starting off with me, cause then he would be a part of the excitement of starting the camino and I would in some ways feel more comfortable that there were 2 of us finding our way from the U.S. to Madrid to SJPdP to get me started. However, in some ways it would be great if we could meet up to walk the end portion to celebrate the end and see the cathedral and then come home together. The only problem I can forsee is meeting up somewhere in the middle, although I am sure there are plenty of ways to stay in touch with each other to meet, if needed. Advice please on what others have successfully done---
thanks
Hi Joni40
I have walked a beginning with a Son and a middle with a Daughter and the English Camino with a Wife ( ex) while it was special to walk with my Daughter if I am honest it did feel a little bit of an intrusion,(the logistics involved to meet up-longer days and a bus journey to meet up)
because the Camino can become a very personal and individual thing-I would go for a beginning so he could be with you for those first few uncertain faltering steps.
At the end the new confidant stronger trimmer you :D may find it hard to step away from your newfound Camino family who have shared all the trails and tribulations needed to reach your destination with you.
I have met Husbands and Wives who have chosen instead to meet up for a 4* romantic vacation
somewhere else in Europe-Paris/Madrid maybe :D
Have a great Camino but remember its your Camino.
Ian
love the fact you have a Kurt Vonnegut signature qoute

Thanks Ian,
I appreciate the imput. My husband would love to do the whole thing, but alas! he has to work-(and watch the house, pet the cat, and pay the bills) whilst I am off playing. I would love to have him for a portion, but I don't want to be waiting for him either, so the beginning would probably be the best. Although I know how much he would love seeing the cathedral at the end.
thanks so much for your response. We will just have to go back and do it together when he has more time! Or the romantic vacation sounds good too!
Joni

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Joni. There is nothing written that says he couldn't join you for the start then bus/train to Santiago before heading home to pet the cat. You will then have some shared experiences and can also compare thoughts on visiting the cathedral with your "different" experiences.
Tony

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk.

What does your husband prefer the sound of?

When we were in the same dilemna, we opted for me starting with the kids and him meeting us a week later - as it turned out, we shortened the whole thing so we could do it together and spend time in Paris and England together as well. The Camino will wait for us!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Joni, I agree with Ian. I've only hike the Camino once time and plan on hiking it again in Sept.

Toward the end of the Camino your entire trip condenses and you will have tremendous emotion. It's a very, very personal experience. You can't even really begin to "catch someone up". I also believe that the first part of the Camino you will be sorting things out in your head. You will find your pace and you will find your confidence. For me the struggle here on the beginning of the Camino was exactly what I needed at the time.

I would have him meet me in Leon. That was my favorite Cathedral too. The city is amazing and you will want to spend a couple of days there anyway. There are beautiful hiking stores there. It would be easy walking for him to warm up and get "his legs" under him. It's a little boring for someone who has hiked the first part so you would enjoy the company too. Beautiful expansive views. You will enjoy conversation at this time. :wink:

So happy for you to be giving yourself this gift! Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In the beginning of the Camino you're meeting other people - forming up your circle of peregrinos and everyone is figuring things out. By the end you have your best pals and it might be hard for you husband to walk in on that - and hard for you to really share with him what it is for you.

We had one friend who met us in Burgos and walked for three days. He was in excellent shape and was the perfect companion for the tough Meseta - he cheered us on and kept us going when it seemed like everyone was going lame and getting bummed out.

Another couple of friends met us in Leon and they really weren't prepared for 6-8 hours of walking every single day in the heat. They couldn't keep up with us and they weren't enjoying their evenings at all - just resting and washing up and passing out.

If it were me, I'd choose the first bit. It is gorgeous - but it is the hardest bit too. Nice to have each other while you're getting used to the walking and the UPHILLS and, I think, for most people it is easier to chat with strangers when you're coupled up. That way he'll have faces to put to names when you're telling him about the rest of it, your new Camino friends will know the person you're talking about and you'll be together while you're still on the honeymoon stage of the journey. :)

I have a friend whose husband started walking with her. With the intention of finishing in Burgos. What happened? Once inBurgos, her continued all the way to Santiago with her. Anne

thank you for your suggestions- he's coming with me for the beginning, we are leaving Florida on May 2nd! see you all there!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back