• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What should I do about calluses?

HBS60

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024 (planned)
As I’m trying to prepare for my first Camino in August, I’m trying to identify possible issues I might need to resolve before I start my walk.

I have big calluses on the outer side of my big toes. They never bothered me, but I’m concerned they may be an issue if I try to walk 500 miles. I tried doing a search here and I wasnt’ aware that sometimes a blister can form under or next to a callus, but apparently some feel that they can have a protective effect.

While the calluses don’t bother me, I do feel them when walking in my new Hokas. I saw a podiatrist (first time ever) for an unrelated problem (pain on the Right foot arch), she did point out the callus and shaved a little of it.
I’ve been looking at over the counter callus remedies, usually having Salicylic acid, but I’m hesitant to try anything chemical. I’ve seen an assortment of cushions, bandages, etc for corns and calluses, but before I try any of this, I thought I’d ask experienced, seasoned walkers for their input.

Also, I never thought I would ever ask this, but would a pedicure help me in any way? Being that I’m an older, old-fashioned guy, the thought of having my feet tended to never entered my mind, but I really don’t know what’s involved besides pampering the feet, and having my toenails painted is not my cup of tea (not that there’s anything wrong with that). Being that I have 6 months to my trip, I want to start taking care of them properly.

Thanks for any input about this somewhat embarrassing topic!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Since you already have contact with a podiatrist she would probably be your best source of advice. My own practice with calluses when they develop is simply to file them down with a pumice stone - wet and with a little soap to make the action easier. But perhaps you should also try to identify any issues with your footwear that are causing the calluses to form in the first place. A wider fitting in your shoes or boots perhaps?

First. I would see a podiatrist, not only to treat those you have but also to advise on teatment should others form whilst walking.

I can get large calluses forming on the inner side of my heels.
Probably due to contact with my orthotics / footwear.
They can build up and crack, which can be uncomfortable.

I wish I had taken some kind of file on my last Camino.
But I 'treated' them with plenty of vaseline and hikers wool each day.

You will become as expert in caring for your feet!
Treat them well. ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree that the first step would be to consult with your podiatrist, since you have one.

For myself, a few months prior to a walk, I begin to GENTLY work on calluses with a pumice stone or foot file. The key is to not injure surrounding tissue. I also rub my feet nightly with a 10% urea foot cream such as Eucerin Complete Repair Foot Cream, which works wonderfully to keep skin supple and prevent callous build-up. I use this prior to my Camino, but have not used it while on the walk itself.

Eucerin.jpg

Thanks!
The podiatrist is the one that pointed out the callus, and pointed out that they were likely caused by the shoes I’ve been wearing since last April. She pulled out the insole and there was actually a crater there! She did shave some of it off, but since I was there for a different issue, she didnt’ spend too much time on it. I bough my new Hokas the day after, so that will probably help, but I doubt that the calluses will reabsorb on their own. I never heard about hikers wool, or pumice stone, where do I get these? I have sooo much to learn! Since I’ve been to the local American Pilgrims chapter and there’s an upcoming walk in a couple of weeks, I’ll also ask for recommendations of a podiatrist that is more familiar with “Caminology” (I just invented the term ha!). I saw this lady podiatrist just once, office was too busy so I’m not too keen on going back there if I can find a better alternative.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
HBS60, just one note. You haven't mentioned this, but if you have any peripheral neuropathy or diabetes, you should *not* have a non- sterile pedicure or shave your calluses yourself. Find a podiatrist who has more time for your overall foot ( and, BTW, if your arch pain needs insoles, your may need larger shoes to accommodate them).

I have had permanent calluses on the outside of my big toes since I was a child...no big deal for me, since they're not new. It's the calluses that have formed on the tops of my other toes on the right foot that I keep trimmed down...but I don't completely remove a callus, since that indicates a friction point that needs protection.

YMMV.

Since you already have contact with a podiatrist she would probably be your best source of advice. My own practice with calluses when they develop is simply to file them down with a pumice stone - wet and with a little soap to make the action easier. But perhaps you should also try to identify any issues with your footwear that are causing the calluses to form in the first place. A wider fitting in your shoes or boots perhaps?
Coming from a manual labour background a callus for me is my skins way of protecting itself, when I worked with my hands I had calluses at the bottom of each fingers where I would be handling tools all day, since I haven't done that type of work for twenty years the calluses have disappeared. The same goes for my feet, I've always been active and walk a lot and I have had calluses at the same area of my feet for as long as I can remember the inside of each foot at the bottom of the big toe and top of big toe, it has never been an issue and I have never sought out professional help, once a month using a foot scraper or file to remove the excess hard skin appears to have worked for me.

I used to get callouses on the outer heel and I did get blisters under them on my first Camino (2016). Since then, I have found a much better fitting shoe and the callouses have gone away and not returned. I walk a lot more now than I did back then, too.

Last edited:
All good solid advice, but I also carry Dr. Scholl's callus holes for a little bit of extra comfort while I'm walking. Don't always use them but if something acts up it can provide some relief. Not a cure but an aid.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome to the group!! I am in the “talk to a podiatrist” camp. If you have Medicare, you can see one every 91 days for toenail clipping and it is covered. I have been going for years, and with my supplemental policy, I pay nothing. Each visit, my calluses are checked and offered a shave. Personally, I prefer that they are not shaved, as the one or two times, I allowed it, I had tenderness. I do treat my feet with Vaseline every morning and Vicks at night. On Camino, I use Vaseline morning, mid-day, and evening. I wear sock liners, and hiking socks together and do carry hiking wool for any hot dot that might develop. Fortunately I am not overly prone to blisters.

Since I walk so much I develop calluses on the sides of my big toes and all around my heels every few weeks. I use a special blade made for this. Whilst on the Camino I don't touch them although I do put Vaseline on my feet and between my toes every morning before setting out. This has been working for years so I keep to that routine. It's really trial by error, what works for me may not for you.

I get callouses on my heels, especially when I wear my Tevas a lot. I use sandpaper to keep the callouses from getting too thick

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have callouses in the same place: the outside of my big toes. I left the callouses in place when I walked the Camino (normally I have them treated during a pedicure). I developed some blister-like pain on one of the callouses but there was no blister visible. Several weeks after the Camino, some of the callous wore away naturally and I could see that there had been a blister buried underneath the callous.

Try treating the callous now, do some long walks, and assess how it feels. Incidentally, I found that several items I wore during my training walks (and that I planned on bringing on the Camino) caused irritation. You never really know until you walk in them for an extended period of time.

Once callouses have been reduced you might be able to keep them that way with a teflon-like patches that you attach to the inside of your shoes. One brand is Engo.

@davebugg wrote a detailed review of Engo patches for forum members awhile back. Dave is/was a medical professional, very experienced hiker and an objective reviewer of products for various outdoor related companies. That makes his review well worth reading.

As I’m trying to prepare for my first Camino in August, I’m trying to identify possible issues I might need to resolve before I start my walk.

I have big calluses on the outer side of my big toes. They never bothered me, but I’m concerned they may be an issue if I try to walk 500 miles. I tried doing a search here and I wasnt’ aware that sometimes a blister can form under or next to a callus, but apparently some feel that they can have a protective effect.

While the calluses don’t bother me, I do feel them when walking in my new Hokas. I saw a podiatrist (first time ever) for an unrelated problem (pain on the Right foot arch), she did point out the callus and shaved a little of it.
I’ve been looking at over the counter callus remedies, usually having Salicylic acid, but I’m hesitant to try anything chemical. I’ve seen an assortment of cushions, bandages, etc for corns and calluses, but before I try any of this, I thought I’d ask experienced, seasoned walkers for their input.

Also, I never thought I would ever ask this, but would a pedicure help me in any way? Being that I’m an older, old-fashioned guy, the thought of having my feet tended to never entered my mind, but I really don’t know what’s involved besides pampering the feet, and having my toenails painted is not my cup of tea (not that there’s anything wrong with that). Being that I have 6 months to my trip, I want to start taking care of them properly.

I always make an appointment with my podiatrist early in the new calendar year, to get ahead of foot issues, in case multiple visits are needed. Presently, we are playing "whack-a-mole" with several plantar warts.

I have a congenital issue with calluses, especially on a deformed from birth right foot angle. Because of my strange foot geometry, I am prone to develop very thick calluses on the heel of the right foot. These calluses will get infected and bleed under the calluses on a long Camino. To avoid this, I practice preventative treatment while on Camino.

After bathing and drying my feet, I apply a thick amount of a moisturizing foot lotion containing at least 40 percent Urea in it. I rub it in, then put on my clean liner socks, to be worn to sleep, and then the next day, under the thick outer socks I wear for cushioning and warmth.

You can get a Urea 42% solution from your podiatrist. Orm, you can obtain 40% Urea solutions on the internet or from Amazon. They work nearly as well and are less expensive as the podiatrist office variety. Tubes or vertical bottles work better than jars.

In case the calluses get away from me and start to get uncomfortable, I bring a small cosmetic hand rasp, designed to shave excess dead callus skin off. Keep the rasp very clean, wash it with soap and water after every use.

If I allow the calluses to really get out of control, and a blister forms under the hardened outer layer, it become painful to walk. This is how the blood gets underneath and eventually becomes infected. That is my signal to go into Google Maps and to search for "Podólogo cerca de mí." This asks for a podiatrist near me.

I have had to do this on two long Caminos. Each time, I found a podiatrist who could see me quickly. The first one spoke no English, but I had a hotel clerk translate for me. The second time, the doctor spoke some English and told me to take a train from the next town (a planned stop anyway) to get to him that afternoon.

Having to get to a doctor might cost you an extra day or two, so try to arrange this in a larger town or city with things to do. The first time, I was in Burgos, on the Frances. The second time in Monforte de Lemos, on the Invierno.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

This is not a question of pampering. Make an appointment pronto with a podiatrist. Long before you set off. I speak as an aged lady, not that gender is an issue here. Make sure your treatment is well before you need to start walking the 500 miles. Or 800 km. I do hope all your questions have found answers before you set off!!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Your podiatrist will probably recommend a good local chiropodist. I generally take my feet in for a service a couple of weeks before a long walk.

Your podiatrist will probably recommend a good local chiropodist. I generally take my feet in for a service a couple of weeks before a long walk.
Isn't a chiropodist just a different name for a podiatrist? I have never heard the term chiropodist used in the US.

Chiropodist was popular years ago. Podiatrist has a few more bells and whistles. So far as I know.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I never had blisters on the camino except the one time I did not remove a callus before walking.

It ended up with a visit to a podiatrist along the camino, I have to say it was for me such a great experience. Having developed a deep blister under a callus with a blister on top action, I got myself, with the help of Senor Google, an appointment with a podiatrist in Ponferrada. After coming down from Cruz de Ferro I was a sight of dust and dirt. They took me inn, fixed my bad foot, showed the other one some love too, gave me some really good advice that got me trough the rest of the camino. I left the office full of dirty marks where I sat, what I touched... They were soooo nice. 30 euro for the whole shabang.

Getting a pedicure is a great start. I also have heavy callused feet and thick toenails. I had my toenails cut a short as possible and didn't do anything about my calluses. I walked the CF and onto Fisterre and Muxia. From 13 Apr to 31 May I walked about 600 miles with no blisters or foot problems. Spend a lot of time on your shoe/sock selection to help eliminate problems.

Thanks to all!

I’ll admit that up to my point, I’ve never given my feet a second thought, took them for granted, and while I understood why people need podiatrists, I didn’t get why people would get pedicures, which, admittedly, I know nothing about, as I thought it was an merely an indulgence, and I have no interest in nail polish or the like. Now I’m aware that I’ll put my aging feet though a brutal ordeal, so they do deserve to be pampered, in addition to have things like arch problems, bunions, etc taken care of. But I don’t actually know what a pedicurist does. Massage? Hydrotherapy? Anything else?

As for the diabetes question, I have pre-diabetes (mildly elevated fasting glucose levels, but the Hgb A1C has always been good, and my last set of labs was actually perfect, with a normal fasting glucose. Still, that’s more of a motivation to start taking better care of my feet.

I just bought new Hokas, put new insoles, and I’ve been walking around in them so I can get used to them. I got them at REI, so I know I can always return/exchange them if I develop any problems.
August is still far away, so I’ll be mindful now that the hot summer months are around the corner (I’m in FL so we get warm weather a lot sooner than other folks).

I’ll continue to research, learn, educate myself, and ask questions. I’m glad we have this forum!

Buen Camino, y’all!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Isn't a chiropodist just a different name for a podiatrist? I have never heard the term chiropodist used in the US.
Podiatrist (IMHO) is more ‘structural’; a chiropodist more ‘superficial’. Apologies if there are any of either online and I’m misrepresenting you. Both certainly co-exist in the UK. I often forget the increasing north-American bias on here.

Podiatrist (IMHO) is more ‘structural’; a chiropodist more ‘superficial’. Apologies if there are any of either online and I’m misrepresenting you. Both certainly co-exist in the UK. I often forget the increasing north-American bias on here.
The two terms are interchangeable in the UK. There is no difference in training or registration - it is the same profession. "Chiropodist" is gradually falling out of favour and being replaced by "Podiatrist" as the preferred term as it has wider international recognition.

Sorry to insert my bias. Is a chiropodist a physician? Or a type of medical professional that deals with things like in grown toenails, calluses, etc ?

As far as the two names, I was going off of what this site says:
https://www.brightwellclinic.co.uk/the-difference-between-podiatrists-and-chiropodists

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The two terms are interchangeable in the UK. There is no difference in training or registration - it is the same profession. "Chiropodist" is gradually falling out of favour and being replaced by "Podiatrist" as the preferred term as it has wider international recognition.
Thanks - I stand corrected. Perhaps it’s that those who practice locally to me seem to specialise in either biomechanics and orthotics or superficial conditions. Those which do one round here more certainly don’t do the other.

Anyway: do carry on.

I find this foot file (see attached) works well for me. Lightweight also. 1 minute of coarse side and then 1 minute of fine side daily. Keeps calluses under control when used on problem areas that pop up. Again - very light weight and slips easily into any pack.

Attachments

• IMG_6031.png
    IMG_6031.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 74

I book an appointment with the podiatrist specifically just to remove calluses. I have had blisters underneath calluses before, which were really painful and difficult to treat. For this I recommend a podiatrist, rather than one of the cosmetic type salons.
I find prevention a lot better than treatment.

Read the book "Fixing your Feet" by Jon Vonhof, $25 at REI. Big callouses are ok unless you get a blister under them. Then you are in big trouble. This happened to me two caminos ago and it was on the outside of my big toe. I just wasn't diligent enough in keeping it filed/shaved down. Vonhof says you want smooth, soft baby feet, not leathery ones. I believe it. Buen Camino

Thanks!
The podiatrist is the one that pointed out the callus, and pointed out that they were likely caused by the shoes I’ve been wearing since last April. She pulled out the insole and there was actually a crater there! She did shave some of it off, but since I was there for a different issue, she didnt’ spend too much time on it. I bough my new Hokas the day after, so that will probably help, but I doubt that the calluses will reabsorb on their own. I never heard about hikers wool, or pumice stone, where do I get these? I have sooo much to learn! Since I’ve been to the local American Pilgrims chapter and there’s an upcoming walk in a couple of weeks, I’ll also ask for recommendations of a podiatrist that is more familiar with “Caminology” (I just invented the term ha!). I saw this lady podiatrist just once, office was too busy so I’m not too keen on going back there if I can find a better alternative.
I had a quick look online and this place near Orlando seems to have "walkers' wool", which is just raw wool:

Small Beginnings Sheep Farm, O'Brien, Florida

If they don't have it, they may be able to recommend somewhere else. I find it is amazing at keeping my feet blister-free. Just spread out some of the wool roughly in the shape of your sole, then pull a bit of the wool between your toes. Top with socks and voila! You will feel like you're walking on a cloud - - for a few minutes, anyway. It does pack down, but it's probably the lanolin that keeps the foot's skin in good condition. The wool can be re-used, just pulled and fluffed in the morning (once it's dried if your feet perspire). It weighs almost nothing, so take a sandwich-sized bag of it.
Someone else on the Forum probably has more tips regarding the wool.

If you decide to have the calluses removed, make sure it's two or three weeks before your camino. You need some callus to protect your feet, just not the very thick ones that can develop over months and years.

Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was just visiting my mother in California and she mentioned a chiropodist. She is 93.

I was just visiting my mother in California and she mentioned a chiropodist. She is 93.
Time passes slowly in this part of England. One of my close friends is (probably the last) of a long line of Flookburgh fishermen. His father was in the navy in the Second World War and worked with a number of Scandinavian fishermen on a low-key clandestine ‘taxi’ service - his very local vocabulary contained so much derived from old Norse that he was able to communicate fairly well.

I know that’s not strictly relevant (what, me? How dare you!) - but it just came up in conversation today and I’d have forgotten it by tomorrow.

Since you already have a relationship with a podiatrist, and you are "concerned" that the calluses may bother you I have a simple suggestion. Before taking any action, walk 10-15 miles a day for 5 days straight, with pack if you can. This should be enough for your feet/body getting accustomed to the distance walking daily. Then when done evaluate how your feet felt, did you develop any problems, and if so take the appropriate action. You are getting close enough to your departure I would want to know if the calluses really cause problems. If you do choose to remove or alter the calluses I would perform the same test. This will tell you lots about what problems you may encounter on your coming camino, did the alteration actually help your feet, and allow you to prepare another course of action.

My wife and I did exactly this before our first camino and we learned so much that allowed us to make decisions on socks and footwear, among other things. One key thing for us was pre-wrapping the areas that tended to develop hot spots with KT tape that became a life saver on our caminos.

You are getting close enough to your departure that callus removal is a one way street. Always best to proceed with knowledge.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Since you already have a relationship with a podiatrist, and you are "concerned" that the calluses may bother you I have a simple suggestion. Before taking any action, walk 10-15 miles a day for 5 days straight, with pack if you can. This should be enough for your feet/body getting accustomed to the distance walking daily. Then when done evaluate how your feet felt, did you develop any problems, and if so take the appropriate action. You are getting close enough to your departure I would want to know if the calluses really cause problems. If you do choose to remove or alter the calluses I would perform the same test. This will tell you lots about what problems you may encounter on your coming camino, did the alteration actually help your feet, and allow you to prepare another course of action.

My wife and I did exactly this before our first camino and we learned so much that allowed us to make decisions on socks and footwear, among other things. One key thing for us was pre-wrapping the areas that tended to develop hot spots with KT tape that became a life saver on our caminos.

You are getting close enough to your departure that callus removal is a one way street. Always best to proceed with knowledge.
I’ve been walking 1-3 miles a day for the last 3-4 years prior to deciding to do the Camino, so I’m bumping up my walks to 5-6 miles a day, sometimes with a pack. I’m also breaking in my new Hokas trail runners as well. I’m planning to keep adding mileage so I get used to the walking before the FL heat begins. My start date is still 6 months away so I didn’t think this was close. Thanks!

Late returning to the thread. My understanding is that the modern podiatrist, in Ireland, is the new fangled professional previously known as a chiropodist. I know a wonderful chiropodist, an elderly gentleman. I also know, from experience as a person with type2 diabetes, that the much younger person who deals with my feet is a podiatrist. More bells and whistles? Maybe, but the important thing for anyone heading off on a long walk, camino or trek or whatever you prefer to call it - yes, have the treatment at least a week at the latest before you set off. Give your poor feet time to readjust.
And - buen camino!

Callouses are an indicator of your shoe not fitting properly. I would guess not enough support under your arch. Maybe see another Pediatrist who can suggest a different shoe or insole. But also go and enjoy a nice pedicure. Beware if your feet are ticklish however 😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

My wife experienced a lot of foot issues. She could barely walk a mile without getting blisters. She now uses a donut pad on her calluses with good success. Podiatrist recommended cushioned sleeves to slide over toes that tend to cross over. Beware that not all of these sleeves have the same cushioning so need to try out to see what works. In USA, CVS brand has worked best for her. The only issues for her now is 1) be diligent to use the padding and 2) getting socks on without moving the pads. Good luck.

Just from her experience, make sure your shoes are large enough. Consider ½ to full size larger shoes.

Callouses are an indicator of your shoe not fitting properly. I would guess not enough support under your arch. Maybe see another Pediatrist who can suggest a different shoe or insole. But also go and enjoy a nice pedicure. Beware if your feet are ticklish however 😊
I saw the podiatrist as soon as I decided to do the Camino, to make sure there wasn’t anything urgent (like needing surgery, for example), before buying shoes for the Camino. I’ve been wearing running shoes for the last year or so, and she pointed out the craters in my insoles, and shaved off some of the calluses on the right foot, and she told me to go ahead and buy new shoes, and that it was OK to try out insoles. So the next day I bought my trail runners Hokas, 1/2 size bigger than my size, as well as Keen sandals that might be suitable for hiking if needed (if I get swollen feet, for example) and for the evenings. So I’m breaking in my new Hokas, I bought insoles for arch support, and I’ve also been using double socks, Darn Tough and some thinner dress socks (which should go inside, which should go outside?). I haven’t tried the Vaseline thing yet, but that’s next.
Maybe it’s my imagination, but after a couple of weeks, I think the calluses are starting to thin out, but we’ll see. So much to learn! Thanks!

My wife experienced a lot of foot issues. She could barely walk a mile without getting blisters. She now uses a donut pad on her calluses with good success. Podiatrist recommended cushioned sleeves to slide over toes that tend to cross over. Beware that not all of these sleeves have the same cushioning so need to try out to see what works. In USA, CVS brand has worked best for her. The only issues for her now is 1) be diligent to use the padding and 2) getting socks on without moving the pads. Good luck.

Just from her experience, make sure your shoes are large enough. Consider ½ to full size larger shoes.
Thanks, will check these out. I did buy Hokas 1/2 size bigger a couple of weeks ago, so far they seem to be working out OK.
Thanks!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I basically file my callouses down twice a day when I stop for breaks and let my feet out of the shoes and socks... if I don't, they get very rough and start "catching" the socks and causing friction.

Last walk I just used a lightweight flexible disposable nail file for this, and it lasted the whole month.

I saw the podiatrist as soon as I decided to do the Camino, to make sure there wasn’t anything urgent (like needing surgery, for example), before buying shoes for the Camino. I’ve been wearing running shoes for the last year or so, and she pointed out the craters in my insoles, and shaved off some of the calluses on the right foot, and she told me to go ahead and buy new shoes, and that it was OK to try out insoles. So the next day I bought my trail runners Hokas, 1/2 size bigger than my size, as well as Keen sandals that might be suitable for hiking if needed (if I get swollen feet, for example) and for the evenings. So I’m breaking in my new Hokas, I bought insoles for arch support, and I’ve also been using double socks, Darn Tough and some thinner dress socks (which should go inside, which should go outside?). I haven’t tried the Vaseline thing yet, but that’s next.
Maybe it’s my imagination, but after a couple of weeks, I think the calluses are starting to thin out, but we’ll see. So much to learn! Thanks!
First time, I used vaseline, inner liner socks and outer thick socks. Other points nor relevant here, but I finally gave up the liner socks. The vaseline does its own job of minimising friction. For me. Maybe not for anybody else. Also, evry 2 hours, sit, off with shoes and socks and air for 20 mins. Pin socks to bag, wear dry socks, repeat every two hours. As before, worked for me.
I only wear wool socks now, whenever I do wear socks. Don't wash the living daylights out of them, wool is forgiving, like curly hair - spoken as a dead straight haired person!

....So... last week, on a training hike of 28K, I developed two small blisters -- roughly 3mm square on my toe pad (no callus there, but the blister was far inside the pad) and side of my first toe *under a callus*. I had used Foot Glide and had wrapped my problem toes with lamb's wool, but forgot about my first toes and about how hard I push off from my left...

I've never had a blister under a callus before, but I'd read that they are a nightmare. Are they *always* a nightmare? I cannot see the blisters at all now. Things feel good. But I'm worried that there is something that I cannot see, just waiting to ruin my plans...

I reduced my walking for much of the week... and no backpack, obviously. I think my longest day for the week after I developed the blisters was 10K with lots of breaks in the day. I used Compeed style bandages from the Bandaid brand for a few days and was otherwise barefoot. I did not feel the blisters as I went through ordinary daily life.

I leave on May 1 for a set of 4 different camino trails.

My first walking day will be only 14K on the Baztán, the second will be 21K, the third is when I hit 28K.
Questions:

1) Any nursing folk out there with camino experience? Do I need to see a podiatrist? It's probably a 6-month wait around here... I could imagine being more easily able to find one on camino but I don't want to waste their time with things that are not visible now. I arrive in France and I could also imagine it being easier there to see a pharmacist before I hit the trail... have their advice in person? What is sufficient?

2) Any Baztán walkers... can I ship my pack on that trail? I'd like to avoid development of new blisters.

3) I've ordered more hiker's wool... enough for 1200 km of days... and I have a fresh stick of foot glide... and I plan not to neglect the first toes in future.

or I could

4) put a fresh compeed on before I hit the trail... prevent the development of anything new that way?? (I have been known to do this with dress shoes and my boney heel at the ankle -- has never failed me).

But is there anything I should know going forward?

Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
put a fresh compeed on before I hit the trail... prevent the development of anything new that way??
Compared is meant to be put on an open wound. It's kind of expensive to use for prevention when something like hiker's wool, two layers of socks or moleskin work just as well or better.

I can highly recommend @RebeccaRushton's excellent website for extensive information about what causes blisters, how to avoid them, and how to treat them if your avoidance tactics didn't work. I recently gave a presentation about blisters to my local pilgrim group, and learned a lot from reading Rebecca's site and watching her videos.

Compared is meant to be put on an open wound. It's kind of expensive to use for prevention when something like hiker's wool, two layers of socks or moleskin work just as well or better.

I can highly recommend @RebeccaRushton's excellent website for extensive information about what causes blisters, how to avoid them, and how to treat them if your avoidance tactics didn't work. I recently gave a presentation about blisters to my local pilgrim group, and learned a lot from reading Rebecca's site and watching her videos.

Oh, I know what Compeed is *meant* for... but I've also found that if I am stuck in a situation and have a spot I want to protect, that the squishy cushion has always been brilliant and the other methods have been almost but not quite unfailing.
Thanks for the recommendation.
It would be nice if I had not gained 20 pounds this past year, but I did -- and I've never doe that before in my life... and that's part of the problem.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.