• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to leave behind...

clearskiescamino

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many to mention...
I have packed my 35l for my trip on Sunday but I'm having a little difficulty as its a little too full. I'd like to leave a few things behind. Quick question : what toiletries & blister kit would you leave behind? I'm thinking of leaving all my toiletries behind and buying there.

I'm aware it's a Sunday when I start and most shops will be closed
Thanks guys! .

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
When you buy them where will they fit? If they don't fit today, they won't fit on Monday! I'm wondering if you've got too much of something else perhaps. Too big a sleeping bag? would a fleece blanket do? Too many shirts? No more than two or three surely. Or could you hang your post-walking shoes on the outside of your pack? Although with a 35l pack, this should not be necessary.
Blister care - a roll of plaster or duct tape. It doesn't take so much room.
Toiletries - small portions of whatever you need. Could you decant shampoo into a smaller bottle?

Hi Kiwi,
I have my sleeping bad places at the bottom of the bag, it is compressed and taking up quite a bit of the bag. I'm bringing the bare minimum of clothes, gadgets. My blister kit has a few more items than what you mention as I had bad feet last year. It's strange though as I used the same bag last yr.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do you need a blister kit because you already have blisters? If not, the vaseline+liner+wool sock combo worked wonders for me, never got a blister with that. Have you got a spare pair of shoes? Can you tie them on the outside of the pack? Or have you got anything that only has one purpose, which you can change for something that does two things - like cotton scarf/towel, trousers and shorts/zipoff trousers etc? I'm sure you will have thooght about all this already, but sometimes we do get a bit 'pack blind', like me taking the heavy mobile phone with the heavy charger which needed a converter plug as well, instead of the lighter, older one with a better battery and a little plug with a USB cable. What have you brought this time that wasn't there last time?

Buen Camino

nidarosa said:
Do you need a blister kit because you already have blisters? If not, the vaseline+liner+wool sock combo worked wonders for me, never got a blister with that. Have you got a spare pair of shoes? Can you tie them on the outside of the pack? Or have you got anything that only has one purpose, which you can change for something that does two things - like cotton scarf/towel, trousers and shorts/zipoff trousers etc? I'm sure you will have thooght about all this already, but sometimes we do get a bit 'pack blind', like me taking the heavy mobile phone with the heavy charger which needed a converter plug as well, instead of the lighter, older one with a better battery and a little plug with a USB cable. What have you brought this time that wasn't there last time?

Buen Camino

My feet are fine now but I guess I'd like to have the kit just in case. It is mainly plaster, iodine, needle and body glide chafe stick. I have my walking shoes and sandals. The only thing I'm doing differently this time is using dry bags for clothes and a compression sack for my sleeping bag. What I might do is go back to ziplock bags for my clothes and see if that makes a difference. I have one pair of zip off trousers along with shorts.

Ok after much work I have managed to find a little extra space :) I got rid of the dry bags and used ziplock bags instead. Happy with it now. 6.5kg, less than I expected but that doesn't include a full water bottle
Thanks for your help :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Kiwi-family said:
following-the-arrows said:
General rule - evereything you pack should have 2 purposes!!

Well I guess I could whip my bra off and use it as a slingshot if I meet a bear on the path :wink:

Perhaps not a slingshot but very useful as emergency tie rope when husbands's pack broke a strap!

My flight is on Friday, my stuff is all on my bedroom floor! Not looking forward to packing it ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Gerard
Since I've written the original post, I've been and returned. I've took a lot of people's advice and left a lot at home. Including blister kit, toilitries. Plenty of shops there when I arrived. The only thing I was grateful in bringing was two pairs of long trousers, they came in real handy when I got covered in muck during the first few days :)

gerardcarey said:
clearskies said:
nidarosa said:
just in case
Those three words give seasoned caminoers the heebiejeebies. :roll:
Carry NOTHING "just in case".
You can buy anything you need along the way, if and when you need it.
Buen Camino

Yes that is true, if you plan to hike around El Corte Ingles, when it's open.

Hi Gerard
Since I've written the original post, I've been and returned. I've took a lot of people's advice and left a lot at home. Including blister kit, toilitries. Plenty of shops there when I arrived. The only thing I was grateful in bringing was two pairs of long trousers, they came in real handy when I got covered in muck during the first few days :)
Thanks for writing this! I've been going back and forth about whether to take one or two pairs of trousers...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have packed my 35l for my trip on Sunday but I'm having a little difficulty as its a little too full. I'd like to leave a few things behind. Quick question : what toiletries & blister kit would you leave behind? I'm thinking of leaving all my toiletries behind and buying there.

I'm aware it's a Sunday when I start and most shops will be closed
Thanks guys! .
I am about to embark on my 2nd camino - camino mozarabe! Malaga to santiago! 1st time around i was overly organised- all gear laid out! Blueprint for my backpack! Place for all! Now - i think i will bring my toothbrush and a change of clothes! Thats it ! Buen camino!!

On a more serious note ( now that this thread has been resurrected), if you don't take toiletries and then buy them in Spain, they will take no less room in your pack than if you took them from home.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On a more serious note ( now that this thread has been resurrected), if you don't take toiletries and then buy them in Spain, they will take no less room in your pack than if you took them from home.

Or they could take far more space. If you buy wherever you can, you are stuck with whatever container size is available.

Thanks for writing this! I've been going back and forth about whether to take one or two pairs of trousers...
Alyssa. I only take two pairs of trousers. Both zip offs. One I wear and the other spare. Same with tops and only one warm jacket, spare socks something light to sleep in, underwear toiletries, map and that's basically it. When I get to the end I always go into a shop and buy myself something nice to wear. I figure I deserve it after the long walk. I forgot also my sleeping bag and liner, iPod for blocking out snorers.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Michryan and GerardCarey. Like I said, I've been going back and forth about one vs. two trousers so appreciate the info.

I figured on my usual tramping gear of microfibre knee-length shorts (216g) unless it's a howling gale, in which case I put on overtrousers (258g) as well. If it were to be high windchill factor when setting out, I might wear 100 micron long johns (172g) under the other items until I warmed up, but that sounds most unlikely unless it's in the depths of winter. So I'll keep the long johns for sitting around after a shower on a cold day. And for feeling more civilised, I have quick-drying longs (211g).

I see the following as essentials in my pack:-
One complete change of clothes from the skin out - with zip off trousers and a light fleece. One or two extra pairs undies, and also thin liner socks. Trek towel, piece of soap, travel size shampoo, a few pegs and an elastic clothes line. Waterproofs (poncho and trousers). A lightweight dress - can also be worn at night. Any prescribed medication. Crocs - or similar - for post walking/showers etc. A comb and a few sticking plasters, toothbrush and a mini pot of toothpaste, nail clippers and a nail file. Water bottles.
I usually take an extra very lightweight shirt and due to time of year vest and longjohns which double as pyjamas.
Wearing one full set of clothes (zip-offs), a mid weight fleece and my boots.
No sleeping bag as we used private albergues/hostales etc but we took light ones the first time and no liners.

Anything else comes under 'might need' and whether it goes or not depends on my pack weight. I aim at 6.5kgs including water and the pack itself, but excluding my camera.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I see the following as essentials in my pack:-
One complete change of clothes from the skin out - with zip off trousers and a light fleece. One or two extra pairs undies, and also thin liner socks. Trek towel, piece of soap, travel size shampoo, a few pegs and an elastic clothes line. Waterproofs (poncho and trousers). A lightweight dress - can also be worn at night. Any prescribed medication. Crocs - or similar - for post walking/showers etc. A comb and a few sticking plasters, toothbrush and a mini pot of toothpaste, nail clippers and a nail file. Water bottles.
I usually take an extra very lightweight shirt and due to time of year vest and longjohns which double as pyjamas.
Wearing one full set of clothes (zip-offs), a mid weight fleece and my boots.
No sleeping bag as we used private albergues/hostales etc but we took light ones the first time and no liners.

Anything else comes under 'might need' and whether it goes or not depends on my pack weight. I aim at 6.5kgs including water and the pack itself, but excluding my camera.
Do you take any art materials as part of your 'might need'? Thinking stubs of watercolour pencils here...

Do you take any art materials as part of your 'might need'? Thinking stubs of watercolour pencils here...
Out of Ourense I met thirty architecture students from Norway with 40# packs of art supplies for course work. They could barely move! A couple of stubs, of course, would be much lighter. Take whatever makes your walk pleasant, whether art materials, an iPod, a book, or a flask (within reason).:)

I thought about the pencil type but finally opted for 7 half pans of watercolour and a short handled (cut down) brush, with paper cut to approx 4"x5" to fit in my pocket (protected by a thin plastic envelope). The paints, a pencil, piece of rubber and brush went in a mini zip lock type bag either in my trouser pocket too or pack - minimal weight. I used an old style film spool tube for a waterpot but any thing will do that takes a very small amount of water. The only disadvantage is that I can sketch and paint, but with pencils I could have sketched and painted later. The advantage was that the paints actually weighed less, didn't need sharpening etc. I think for me they probably are in the 'Do need' and I would only leave them if I really had a serious pack weight problem.
Go for it

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.