• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OK guys, what underwear?

falconbrother

Time of past OR future Camino
June - July 2024
As we are avid hikers and walk several miles a day, I have tried various kinds of underwear. I just can't find anything as comfortable and regular old cotton briefs. But, 5 weeks on the Camino means cotton might be not awesome at all. Do tell... What should I be looking for. I tried "Smart Wool" and no bueno... The cut is useless. I tried moisture wicking from Adidas. They are OK, not bad. But, not as comfortable as cotton.

What's your trusted brand, etc.. for mens underwear on the Camino? I'm tired of spending money for items that aren't good.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
TBH I’ve generally stuck to plain cotton briefs, I don’t walk in the warmer months and if I get a sweat on, I’m going too fast.

Having recently robbed a bank I invested in a pair of ex-officio’s finest. They’re quick dry, but I can’t really say they’re worth the price.

Most of my Camino-clothing is one-step from the recycling bin and uniformly black. I’ve convinced myself it dries quicker.

I am a long-retired economist, not a textile-scientist, so don’t go confusing my belief with facts.

Nothing very special for me. Not cotton - gets too damp from sweat and then chafes. Not small briefs or thongs - something like trunks which run a few inches down the thigh and therefore avoid a hem chafing in the groin. And I go for a tight fit rather than loose boxers to prevent the contents from bouncing about and becoming uncomfortable. I am long past worrying about any problems that tight underwear might have for fertility! :cool:

As we are avid hikers and walk several miles a day, I have tried various kinds of underwear. I just can't find anything as comfortable and regular old cotton briefs. But, 5 weeks on the Camino means cotton might be not awesome at all. Do tell... What should I be looking for. I tried "Smart Wool" and no bueno... The cut is useless. I tried moisture wicking from Adidas. They are OK, not bad. But, not as comfortable as cotton.

What's your trusted brand, etc.. for mens underwear on the Camino? I'm tired of spending money for items that aren't good.
Patagonia and Saxx Boxer Briefs

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had some expensive merino boxers. On hot days it resulted in them itching in wrong places.
I switched them out after a week on camino for the cheapest synthetic running boxer Decathlon is selling (iirc 3-4€) and they have been working fine to this day.

Having recently robbed a bank I invested in a pair of ex-officio’s finest. They’re quick dry, but I can’t really say they’re worth the price.
My son wears quick dry underwear when hiking the Camino and other long distance trails. Like you, he also invested in a few pairs of ex-officio's, due to stellar reviews. They are not his favorite, and prefers a similar, but the much less expensive Joe Boxer brand with boy cut legs.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Regular old cotton briefs work very well for me. Only downside is they can take quite a long time drying after washing, so I pin them to my backpack in the morning and proudly let them fly for the first few hours of walking :D
Turga, I hope you bring three pairs in case it's a rainy day.😁

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm an Ex Officio fan. Pricey but comfortable and the quickest to dry of any I've used. The Give-N-Go 2.0 is about as close a model as you can get to the model (can't recall the name) that worked well for me in the mid-2010's. No problem with chafing, excellent breathability. The briefs provide great support without that, uh, claustrophobic or steamy feeling you get from the various brands of 'boxer briefs.'

Unrelated note: If your underwear are wet from the rain, then it is not the performance of the underwear that should be your main concern.

I tried ex-officio boxers, merino wool boxers, merino wool briefs not for me!
Anhalter had mentioned Decathlon running briefs on his pack list but first i brought Kalenji boxers then the briefs i wore the briefs last year from Leon using them again in May (lightweight, cheap and quick dry worked for me)
It must be me every pair of boxers i have ever worn always end kinda rolled/slid up instead of staying where their meant to be like a front wedgie!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Marks and Spencers Lycra Trunks. Discard when crusty.

Seriously? There is a case that can be made for using high-wicking, easy dry, odour reducing etc etc... And there is also a case to be made that a camino is just a walk from village to village through a very civilised country and that worrying about your underwear is simply a way of avoiding the things you really should be thinking about.

In my youth we "washed" socks and underpants by banging them on a tree until they softened a bit. Not recommended for modern fabrics, they wouldn't last a week ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pourquoi, not one mention of "going commando." It works rain or shine except in co-ed sleeping facilities.
I like the support of fairly tight underwear. Otherwise there is a lot of wobbling up and down and side to side with the risk of chafing and just occasionally a small varicocele which can take weeks to settle down. Not much fun.

I'm an Ex Officio fan. Pricey but comfortable and the quickest to dry of any I've used. The Give-N-Go 2.0 is about as close a model as you can get to the model (can't recall the name) that worked well for me in the mid-2010's. No problem with chafing, excellent breathability. The briefs provide great support without that, uh, claustrophobic or steamy feeling you get from the various brands of 'boxer briefs.'
Agree. I brought 2 pair of Ex Officio briefs on camino #1. Bought a three pack of their Give-N-Go boxer briefs for camino #2 on hiking in the mountains. I bought the three pack from Costco for just a hair more than one of the briefs from an outdoor store. I looked for more a few days ago in the store and online but had no luck. Got some really nice cheese though including Manchego.

In my youth we "washed" socks and underpants by banging them on a tree until they softened a bit. Not recommended for modern fabrics, they wouldn't last a week ;)
A graduate from a US military academy told me they had a saying there: "You may run out of clean underwear but you never run out of underwear."

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ex Officio give n go work great for me. They are wicking and comfortable and don’t get too stinky. I’ve gone to silver infused socks liners to help with stinky feet, and Jockey and others make silver infused underwear which I’m trying this April in addition to the Ex Officio’s.
Wool is really the best material for all categories but my skin breaks out no matter how fine/good the wool, but if it doesn’t bother you it’s the best.

@Jarrad

Unrelated note: If your underwear are wet from the rain, then it is not the performance of the underwear that should be your main concern.

On the Portuguese last year ( on ‘Find Penguins’ so as not to trouble the esteemed moderators) I commented: (profanity deleted)

“Breakfast time. It’s pouring down, even more than expected. I’m not very metric other than for distance and 5 litres per square meter per hour of precipitation might as well be in code; but I now know that to translate to ‘Dear God, look at that!’ in imperial units. I’m keen to get on with it though.

(A few hours later …)

Whilst I detest waterproof trousers with a passion I’m not so stupid as to not pack a pair at this time of year, although despite the assurances of Messers Gore and Co my ex-officios are currently carrying a good half-pint of what you’ll join me in hoping is rain-water. There is only so wet you can get before it really doesn’t matter any more.”

@Tincatinker, we can always count on you for an unexpected viewpoint, and often a good laugh.😃
It’s amazing the abuse that wool can take though some of the modern Merino stuff seems like the manufacturers have followed the principles of designed obsolescence. As a very small boy I mostly wore “silk”, probably because two of my aunties had worked in a factory making parachutes for the latter part of the 2nd world war (I forget what the current number is).

Bloody uncomfortable stuff, but free 😎

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I took 3 pairs of AQS boxer briefs (fast drying moisture wicking). Worked for my 6 weeks of walking...

Good luck

I've been wearing Saxx boxer briefs. But after my experience on my last Camino with the merino tees, I'm ready to try merino underwear for my next Camino.

Has anyone walked in just running shorts? I know I can go many miles with no chafing, and they wash and dry quickly.

Has anyone walked in just running shorts? I know I can go many miles with no chafing, and they wash and dry quickly.
You're bound to hear from someone who tells you this is a recipe for chafing and accompanying disasters. What really matters is if it works for you, it works for you...and maybe someone else will try it out after reading this thread.
Quite frankly I'm hoping I forget everything I've read on this thread in case I meet any of these esteemed gentlemen on the path!!

You're bound to hear from someone who tells you this is a recipe for chafing and accompanying disasters. What really matters is if it works for you, it works for you...and maybe someone else will try it out after reading this thread.
Quite frankly I'm hoping I forget everything I've read on this thread in case I meet any of these esteemed gentlemen on the path!!
Well, if you will read an article headed 'Ok guys, what underwear.....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Under Armour 6" long inseam boxers (synthetic) , or more recently Icebreaker Merino long inseam boxers.
Both work well for me.
Pat wears the same.
Comfortable, no chafing, quick drying......

I have Icebreaker merino briefs (women's) and love them. Comfortable and quick drying, also seamless to prevent chafing points. My sister brought her thinnest cotton underwear and they took more than 24 hours to dry.

Wear whatever is most comfortable for you. Handwash all your garments and let them hang dry in the coolest, least airy location in your home to see how quickly they dry in less than ideal conditions.

Nothing is going to be as comfortable as cotton, imo. That said, for my Camino's I wear Under Armor synthetic underwear. Faster drying, breathable etc.. I believe the main purpose is it dries quicker. Less than a decade ago we all washed our under garments in a sink and hoped they were dry in the morning. Today, especially on the well traveled routes, washers and dryers are plentiful.

Therefore, if you are traveling on the CF, CP or CN, you can probably safely bring your cotton underwear and be comfortable. That said, you will have to pay for the use of these machines.

For what it’s worth, I wear Buck Naked brand from Duluth Trading Co. They’re highly breathable with ample room down there. They’re NOT made of cotton, which is good. You don’t want to get all sweaty and start chafing!!
Vaseline takes care of that. ;-)

I go with "body glide." I'll assume that this product goes by many names depending on where you are from. But it is applied to areas that often chafe and it comes in a container much like an underarm deodorant. It works very well.

Well, if you will read an article headed 'Ok guys, what underwear.....
Expat, you've been gone too long!! We use the term guys to mean "group of people" now, it's no longer reserved for non-gals!! (gal being a term you will be aware kiwis have never really used at all, but the Americanisation of the world means we understand it)
My husband went through a stage of calling "Fred" when he wanted one of the kids (four boys, four girls, none called Fred) - they were all supposed to answer!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I like the support of fairly tight underwear. Otherwise there is a lot of wobbling up and down and side to side with the risk of chafing and just occasionally a small varicocele which can take weeks to settle down. Not much fun.
Learned a new word. Can not think of when I might ever use it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Therefore, if you are traveling on the CF, CP or CN, you can probably safely bring your cotton underwear and be comfortable. That said, you will have to pay for the use of these machines.

Of course if you get together with some Camno Amigos, you can share a machine :oops:
I often do that as many people do I think.

I was sitting in a Lavanderia in Ponferrada with two Amigos doing just that.
All of our stuff in one machine and it wasn't even half full.

Thankfully there were 4 machines.
The other 3 were being taken up by three Pilgrims (friends) each doing there own individual washing and drying.
Never quite figured that out :rolleyes:

I’ve been using Step One for a few years now and have never looked back they are a bit more expensive but I think they are worth every penny 👍

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Icebreaker.....Camino tough, will be wearing the same two pair on my 3rd Camino and they look like they just came out of the box. Comfy too.

For what it’s worth, I wear Buck Naked brand from Duluth Trading Co. They’re highly breathable with ample room down there. They’re NOT made of cotton, which is good. You don’t want to get all sweaty and start chafing!!
The synthetic fiber boxers and boxer briefs from Duluth Trading Co. (US) are very good.

My personal choice for several decades of global traveling, including six Caminos is Exofficio boxers. They are lightweight, very comfortable in hot weather, wash out well in a sink and DRY FAST. The synthetic fabric is durable and repels odors too.

I usually wear one pair and pack two. This way I always have a fully clean and dry pair. They fold/roll up small and I store them in one quart / liter zip lock bags.

Find them at exofficio.com or Amazon.

I usually get black or navy blue. In a pinch, they can double as a swim suit - careful about diving though - LOL.

Hope this helps,

Tom

€60,-
Years ago I gave up on synthetic fabrics, particularly underwear. My perspiration reacts with synthetic fabric to create a less them pleasing miasma surrounding me.
After experimentation I have found that for normal use, good old cotton briefs work stupendously well and they seem to outlast the synthetic fabics. The one downside is they dry quite slowly.
When that is an issue, I switch to Merino wool. Its pricey, but has all the advantages of synthetics, but minus the odor. Oh, and merino wool briefs do not cause any itching at least to me!😎

Ahhh. Here's a topic I haven't read about on the forum for a while. I was also a longtime (many decades) cotton brief user. When I was researching the Camino for the first time, the recommendation I followed was boxer briefs - poly, silk, but not cotton. This is to avoid chafing, if nothing else. I don't know if brand is that important, but mine were Jockey.

If you go with boxer briefs, perhaps something to consider are features. Inseam length - I think mine were 6". I've since bought others with a longer inseam - maybe 10" or longer. I find the longer legs to be a little constrictive on my lower thighs. Another feature I now consider is the front opening - none, pouch, fly. I own some of each. Personally, I prefer a fly.

I concluded fit and comfort to be important since I had 2 sets of clothes for an 8 week trip. Another important topic that is frequently on this forum is shoe/boot fit and comfort, but that's another topic for which there is a wealth of experience and suggestions on this forum.

Buen Camino!

My choices so far are Wranglers from Walmart. 92% Nylon, 8% Spandex boxer brief a size larger than normal worked for me. Should last and dry Quick, or REI Wool and Tencel boxers or boxer briefs. Smartwool didn't fit well. I'll be hiking in cooler weather. I've been trying different kinds for a while. Ex Officio work good too.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wore on my CF and my CP seamless sport-briefs, pure synthetics. Very easy in washing, fast drying.
Nylon and Modal/Lycra in differing mixtures (85/15 or 60/40). Absolutely no issues.

My choices so far are Wranglers from Walmart. 92% Nylon, 8% Spandex boxer brief a size larger than normal worked for me. Should last and dry Quick, or REI Wool and Tencel boxers or boxer briefs. Smartwool didn't fit well. I'll be hiking in cooler weather. I've been trying different kinds for a while. Ex Officio work good too.
I found that I lost weight on both of my Caminos and appreciated a size smaller than my what usual sedentary lifestyle warranted.

For the CF last year I wore Saxx and Under Armour. The UA were the most comfortable, had the best support and wicking. Both brands were easily washable and dried quickly.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Saxx. Non chafing and great wicking.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Check out All Citizens brand. I use the Apex 2 boxer briefs. They are comfy, don’t ride up, quick dry, don’t stink after a long days hike, and they have a “ball pouch” so the boys aren’t rubbing anywhere. They aren’t cheap but I think they are worth it.

What's your trusted brand, etc.. for mens underwear on the Camino? I'm tired of spending money for items that aren't goo

Reebok runner boxer briefs worked for me. I brought 3 pairs for my camino. Wicking, quick dry, prevents chaffing on my thighs.

After my walk, I bought a bunch more and tossed all my cotten underwear. They are now my every day underwear shorts.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Many opinions on underwear :)

Female weighing in here . . . I bought Patagonia underwear for my Camino. I like them so much that I've been replacing all of my old underwear with Patagonia whenever I can find them on sale. Great fit, quick drying, don't hold the stink.

Silk. Silk. Silk. Not as expensive as one might think and with all the positive characteristics associated with this natural fiber. On my Camino in 2017, I endeavored as much as possible to have everything I wore or slept in made of silk. REI was my source. My sock liners, too, were made of silk. Zero blisters.

I wore Saxx Boxers with the ballpark pouch that keeps your man parts away from your legs. These work really good to prevent friction down there. I would never wear a brief because they run right along your friction area.

Years back purchased every type of underwear style sold. I was adamant that I would find something supportive and that breaths. I tried every one in a field test ( clothing over top ). I have not looked back.
....jock-strap....

32 degree COOL can be purchased at COSTCO or online. They are inexpensive, light-weight, fast drying, and very comfortable! I prefer over Ex-Officio.
image.jpg

On the lighter side, this reminded me of a scene from Seinfeld. Elaine comments, "I don't know how you guys walk around with those things." See at 1:38
The issue of what underwear to choose is definitely one of those times when we ladies do not have "p**** envy". ;)

I can appreciate your frustration with buying (often over priced) items and they not work out, then just getting shoved to the back of your drawer.

Saxx underwear are good, I’d recommend their ‘cool mesh’ that help with air circulation, hopefully reducing one’s “swamp *ss” at the end of the day. The have the additional benefit of having a pouch that keeps your “kit” separate, reducing chaffing. If inclined, bringing along a small powder can help with chaffing or (if medicated) jock itch.

Currently on the Levante. Walked 41km on Monday, 35km yesterday, and 25 today (not trying to walk long - those are just the normal stage lengths per vieiragrino.com). I only bring exofficio. Both brief and boxer brief. Light, quick dry, and work for multiple days if necessary.

Of course if you get together with some Camno Amigos, you can share a machine :oops:
I often do that as many people do I think.

I was sitting in a Lavanderia in Ponferrada with two Amigos doing just that.
All of our stuff in one machine and it wasn't even half full.

Thankfully there were 4 machines.
The other 3 were being taken up by three Pilgrims (friends) each doing there own individual washing and drying.
Never quite figured that out :rolleyes:
Has anyone else used the launderette in Lalin which is fully automatic including the addition of detergent and fabric softener and even has free Wi-Fi?

I have tried several different brands/type, I have now decided that the Uniqlo AIRism Ultra Seamless Boxer Briefs work the best for me.

I have tried them over the last month, usually dry in the morning if they are washed the night before.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Old School, Fruit of the Loom, Boxer-Briefs, 50% Cotton-50% Polyester.
The only ones I've used the last 2 Caminos, and for all the hiking I do at home.
(Did the Camino Madrid in August, can't imagine it gets much hotter or chafe-er ;))
I highly recommend. Bob

Has anyone else used the launderette in Lalin which is fully automatic including the addition of detergent and fabric softener and even has free Wi-Fi?

Not sure about that one, (it looks familiar) but most I used are are like that.

I've had best luck with the knee to almost knee length compression type underwear. Gusseted, support pouch and 100% synthetic. The term compression is a bit misleading because they're not that tight.
I've worn different brands like under armour and jockey.

I wore Patagonia boxers and most of the time wasn't aware that I was wearing them. Very importantly, they dry quickly after washing - either overnight on the Albergue washing line or on the back of your backpack during the day.

I wear Skins compression tights. No chafing, very breathable, quick drying and reduce leg fatigue. Works for me. Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nothing very special for me. Not cotton - gets too damp from sweat and then chafes. Not small briefs or thongs - something like trunks which run a few inches down the thigh and therefore avoid a hem chafing in the groin. And I go for a tight fit rather than loose boxers to prevent the contents from bouncing about and becoming uncomfortable. I am long past worrying about any problems that tight underwear might have for fertility! :cool:
I am on Bradypus;' side... well said.

Being in Australia, my choice is Tradies 3/4 leg trunk - intially wore cotton/lyca version, and more recentlyfully synthetic versions. All dried readily overnight, did not result in chafing (to which I was prone) and kept everything in its place...

Attachments

• mj1621sk_red_side.jpg
    mj1621sk_red_side.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 2
All dried readily overnight, did not result in chafing (to which I was prone) and kept everything in its place...
I have never considered ending a long-distance walk early because of blisters on my feet but at least one Camino almost finished prematurely because of chafing in the groin. Extremely painful. And a shade more embarrassing to discuss with a female Spanish pharmacist using my minimal language skills and some carefully edited gestures....

I have never considered ending a long-distance walk early because of blisters on my feet but at least one Camino almost finished prematurely because of chafing in the groin. Extremely painful. And a shade more embarrassing to discuss with a female Spanish pharmacist using my minimal language skills and some carefully edited gestures....
The mind boggles...

Agree. I brought 2 pair of Ex Officio briefs on camino #1. Bought a three pack of their Give-N-Go boxer briefs for camino #2 on hiking in the mountains. I bought the three pack from Costco for just a hair more than one of the briefs from an outdoor store. I looked for more a few days ago in the store and online but had no luck. Got some really nice cheese though including Manchego.

A graduate from a US military academy told me they had a saying there: "You may run out of clean underwear but you never run out of underwear."
Amazon has exofficio that is all my husband wears. And they come in
Many colors if you don’t like white.

Icebreaker boxer briefs…comfortable and quick drying! Took 2 on my Frances journey last year..

My son wears quick dry underwear when hiking the Camino and other long distance trails. Like you, he also invested in a few pairs of ex-officio's, due to stellar reviews. They are not his favorite, and prefers a similar, but the much less expensive Joe Boxer brand with boy cut legs.
Depends on the season. Just like the other clothes and footwear. If hot and sweaty the golden rule is to have a fabric that doesn’t retain sweat. There is plenty to choose from for summer/ hot weather. My preference is merino or synthetic. You need to find out yourself. If cold weather then sweating less likely. Cotton can also dry slowly after washing. The pharmacist along the Camino will help if like me a crutch rash develops
Remember we are all different. Some people hardly sweat, others can sweat a cup full of liquid through their feet and need to change socks during the day.

Yes me too! I sometimes worry there are folks out there buying loads of new stuff for Camino.
I wear the same clothes at home as on Camino. I am quite selective about underpants when I am walking though because I usually average about 30km per day with the odd 40+km day occasionally. That is a lot more repetitive movement than I would normally make in a day at home and so a much greater potential for sweat and friction.

Yes me too! I sometimes worry there are folks out there buying loads of new stuff for Camino. I bought some new walking boots, but shorts, T shirts, socks, underwear, hat were all straight out of the cupboards! I know a few ladies enquired about sports bras to be told ‘no need’ so would suggest men may see what they have already that does the job!
Been there, tried that, didn’t work, b. painful, so I’m definitely in the let’s explore options camp!

Not just me, then! I had the same experience on the Puy route, in Condom of all places. And, yes, it had to be a young, female pharmacist. I think she must have had similar encounters previously as she cottoned on quickly and gave me the appropriate ointment and wished me a "bon chemin."

I use Merino in everything year round, so also on Camino.
Icebreaker wear out too fast, now it is Woolpower Lite briefs..
They do not get hot in the summer and the heat and in winter a godsend...

I use merino wool underwear.

I've learned I need 'long' underwear due to chaffing and heat rash, briefs are good for 5 or 6 km but anything longer...long underwear!

I have tried several different brands/type, I have now decided that the Uniqlo AIRism Ultra Seamless Boxer Briefs work the best for me.
One more vote for Uniqlo AIRism boxer briefs (and under layers in general). Comfortable, breathable, supportive, odor resistant, quick drying, durable, and inexpensive. What more could you ask for?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Another thumbs up for Buck Naked from Duluth. Comfortable, quick drying and pack small. They wear well and last a long time as well.

TC

I've been pleased with Quick dri briefs from Exoficio or TravelSmith. I believe REI sells quick dry breads.

Simple generic black running shorts. No underwear. When it is cold I use hiking pants over.

During my Camino France, I wore compression shorts that ran long to my knees. After several days of mountains, hills and maybe an elevator at my hotel, I bought a second knee brace. I just purchased a pair of Bracelayer tight which are compression pants with knee braces combine. If the Bracelayers work out, I will buy two more pairs for next year Camino Portugues.

I’m wearing gym shark as they are not cotton and easier to dry when washed

Ex officio...dry quickly and the long work well for getting up in the night in albergue

In the interests of research I have invested in a couple of pairs of Saxx briefs.

Positives: Comfortable. Relatively quick dry. Sufficiently snug; everything feels well organised.

Negatives: expensive (although cheaper than ex-officio). Look like something your grandad would wear: basically synthetic y-fronts. Aesthetics are not my major concern however and the days when I could appear in my underwear without causing howls of laughter are long gone.

Note that they are Canadian / US sizes; so dial down one for Europe.

Last edited:
Same here. The “bull pen” variety are most comfortable.

I am a highly experienced long-distance through hiker. I tried several brands of hiking underwear but I always come back to ExOfficio Give-n-go Sport 2.0 Brief. I mean the regular brief, not the boxer brief, though some do prefer a boxer brief, I'm not one of those guys. They make a low rise version of the brief that I haven't tried but I'm not sure why I would want to try it.

The ExOfficio Give-n-go Sport 2.0 Brief is very comfortable since they restyled it (the 2.0 version) with a larger pouch so things aren't as crunched up and makes fly access much easier. They are 100% synthetic (no wool or cotton) and they dry in a flash.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am a highly experienced long-distance through hiker. I tried several brands of hiking underwear but I always come back to ExOfficio Give-n-go Sport 2.0 Brief. I mean the regular brief, not the boxer brief, though some do prefer a boxer brief, I'm not one of those guys. They make a low rise version of the brief that I haven't tried but I'm not sure why I would want to try it.

The ExOfficio Give-n-go Sport 2.0 Brief is very comfortable since they restyled it (the 2.0 version) with a larger pouch so things aren't as crunched up and makes fly access much easier. They are 100% synthetic (no wool or cotton) and they dry in a flash.
How do you find the sizing? You look fairly trim (at least from the neck up on your photo). I’m fairly heavily built 200lbs, bought a pair of XL and I could have got a close friend in there with me!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.