• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking Poles - leaving them behind...

HE-J

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015, 2022)
Camino Ingles (2023))
I bought a pair of hiking poles when I arrived in Ferrol because I knew I couldn't bring mine on the plane (and as I was only travelling with carry on I didn't want to check them in to the hold)

Along the way a couple of people said they thought I could check them in as hold luggage for free at Santiago Airport on the way home and bring them with me.

When i got to the airport, Ryan Air wanted to charge me €40 to check them in as they consider them to be 'sports equipment'. Had I realised I would have left them at the Pilgrim office, Pilgrim House or my albergue for someone else. As it was I left them in the airport - the girl on the desk said many pilgrims do this. Hopefully another Pilgrim will pick them up and benefit from them.

....just hope they weren't binned...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When i got to the airport, Ryan Air wanted to charge me €40 to check them in as they consider them to be 'sports equipment'.
Unfortunately, RyanAir seems to have abandoned the informal agreement that the airlines had about checking poles for free from Santiago airport.😢

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
IMHO Another reason to dump this rag tag airline
It might be for you, but I'm not contemplating avoiding them for travel in Europe anytime soon. It seems to me calling one of the world's largest airlines 'rag-tag' is denying the efficacy of their operating model. If you know their rules, and play by them, they provide excellent service. I don't expect the same conditions as a full-service airline that I might use for long haul flights from Australia, but for short haul travel around Europe, they are as good a choice as any of the low-cost carriers I have used.

Unfortunately, RyanAir seems to have abandoned the informal agreement that the airlines had about checking poles for free from Santiago airport.😢
...do the other airlines still offer this service then? ...no use to me (for now) but would be good to know for the future (and for others travelling now) Ta

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I arrived in Spain, to start my Camino in 2018, I realized I'd left my hiking poles in the truck of my vehicle when I got out at the airport in Canada. To my surprise and delight, a lady cleaning the washroom at the airport asked if I was a pilgrim about to embark on the Camino. She then offered me hiking poles that were left by a previous prilgrim. There is a saying that the Camino provides what you need, and I felt it that day, profoundly.

I bought a pair of hiking poles when I arrived in Ferrol because I knew I couldn't bring mine on the plane (and as I was only travelling with carry on I didn't want to check them in to the hold)

Along the way a couple of people said they thought I could check them in as hold luggage for free at Santiago Airport on the way home and bring them with me.

When i got to the airport, Ryan Air wanted to charge me €40 to check them in as they consider them to be 'sports equipment'. Had I realised I would have left them at the Pilgrim office, Pilgrim House or my albergue for someone else. As it was I left them in the airport - the girl on the desk said many pilgrims do this. Hopefully another Pilgrim will pick them up and benefit from them.

I flew Ryan air from Barcelona to Santiago de C. I had my poles on my carry-on suitcase.(taken down to three pieces for each pole). I had unscrewed the metal tips and screwed on rubber tips. I had no problems. Maybe luck? I don't know, but did this on the advice from this Forum. Anybody else?

I flew Ryan air from Barcelona to Santiago de C. I had my poles on my carry-on suitcase.(taken down to three pieces for each pole). I had unscrewed the metal tips and screwed on rubber tips. I had no problems. Maybe luck? I don't know, but did this on the advice from this Forum. Anybody else?
It seems many people arrive in SDC from airports where the security staff are less diligent or more flexible about applying restrictions on carrying poles in the cabin than happens at Santiago. The airline has little to do with that, but, as others have noted, some low-cost airlines were allowing passengers departing from Santiago who hadn't booked with a checked bag allowance to have their poles carried in the hold without charge when the security staff stopped them being taken into the departure hall. There have now been a few reports of Ryanair applying its standard rules about charging for checked baggage when it hasn't been purchased at the time of booking a ticket.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My travel companion did the same breakdown of her poles and applied rubber tips and diligently wrapped in plastic wrap, but was made to go all the way back to check them in nearly missing her flight… Iberia at Madrid heading for A Coruna and we had arrived in Madrid via Iberia with poles in our pack no issue. Same trip, my poles never questioned. I’m afraid it’s all a crap shoot… you were lucky ☘️

I brought poles that are shockcorded down to 14”. Flew American to Morocco and used Iberia and Air. Europa. They were accepted in my carryon on all three airlines.

May I ask where in Ferrol you bought your sticks?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I read the title 'Hiking Poles - leaving them behind...' and thought, 'Yes! Someone who agrees with me.' But I read on and was disillusioned. I expect some will disagree, but poles were unnecessary (for me) on all the caminos I've been on (Francés from SJPdP, Portugués from Porto, Aragonés from Lescar and Lourdes, del Norte from Bayonne). I was 55 on my first and 74 on my most recent. IMO they are a blithering nuisance. They get in the way, they fall down when you lean them hopefully against anything, they are a trip hazard, people post here (frequently) about how annoying is the tap-tap-tap behind them. I see people carrying them for hours, and wonder, 'Why?' And some people find them so essential they forget that they left them at the last bar and come running back for them. If they are used correctly, they may help spread the load to your arms, but most people don't use them correctly, and who wants tired arms?

Whoa! How about some consideration for those of us who walk and feel differently than you…? I thought the Camino was for us all. I find them very helpful in going uphill. Never left one in a bar, tripped over one, and it wasn’t my arms that were tired at the end of the day. I’m certainly not the veteran you are, and I’m certainly grateful for my pole (I generally use one, and largely because I’ve broken both wrists due to falls when hiking. They’re a safety issue for me).

I read the title 'Hiking Poles - leaving them behind...' and thought, 'Yes! Someone who agrees with me.' But I read on and was disillusioned. I expect some will disagree, but poles were unnecessary (for me) on all the caminos I've been on (Francés from SJPdP, Portugués from Porto, Aragonés from Lescar and Lourdes, del Norte from Bayonne). I was 55 on my first and 74 on my most recent. IMO they are a blithering nuisance. They get in the way, they fall down when you lean them hopefully against anything, they are a trip hazard, people post here (frequently) about how annoying is the tap-tap-tap behind them. I see people carrying them for hours, and wonder, 'Why?' And some people find them so essential they forget that they left them at the last bar and come running back for them. If they are used correctly, they may help spread the load to your arms, but most people don't use them correctly, and who wants tired arms?
I have used hiking poles on all of my Caminos (CF twice, VdLP, Portuguese and Rota Vincentina). I am now 75 and plan to walk the Le Puy this fall. The hiking poles are incredibly helpful if used correctly. Unfortunately many pilgrims and hikers do not know the correct techniques. I strongly recommend looking up YouTube videos if one plans to buy and use hiking poles. In my younger years I could have walked the Caminos without them. However, at 75 and with Achilles tendon problems on both the right and left, I would not be able to walk the Le Puy without them. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I never had any problems carrying mine, maybe just lucky. on my last walk earlier this year I decided to leave them behind and get a cheap pair at Decathlon, worked out pretty well, a bit heavier when I did carry them.

Leaving the Madrid airport a month ago for home, we totally disassembled our cheap Decathlon hiking poles into three individual sections each, complete with rubber tips, and they fit perfectly in our backpacks.
They were still removed at security and the agent grabbed one section and showed howeven one piece could be used as a weapon...I give up. 🤷
We left them behind as usual. I wasn't about to go back to check them. Thankfully they were the cheapest one Decathlon carries; totally sufficient for any Camino.

Different people have different experiences. I really did not want to use poles on my 2016 Camino. When I started developing knee problems after the descent to Zubiri and from Alto de Perdon, I resisted getting pokes. I got knee sleeves, and then a knee brace to support my knees, as well as taking lots of ibuprofen. It wasn't enough. Then I tried a walking staff. Still not enough. Finally, in Viana, I caved in and got poles. They saved my Camino. Poles were unnecessary for you. I wouldn't generalize to others.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
May I ask where in Ferrol you bought your sticks?
Hi Rachel...I got them in a Chinese bazar/home stuff shop ...sold all sorts of stuff...not a walking/equipment shop. It was quite near the start point ...can't remember exactly where sorry. There were a number of shops selling them. I saw one place asking €12 per stick...got mine for €7.50 per stick. The rubbers/ferrules wore out before SdC...but I expected that for the money tbh. There's also a decathlon store in Ferrol...if you want to walk to it...
Buen Camino

Living in the UK I fly Easyjet from Gatwick. One important difference between them and Ryanair, the Easyjet cabin-free allowance is 50% bigger than Ryanair. This means I get all of my camping gear in my officially recognised £10 Easyjet bag, (from Amazon), the rest I wear and then put it all together for hiking and camping properly when I land. I've never had a problem taking my hiking sticks inside the plane, they are the foldable type, maybe this is why they are never queried.

Living in the UK I fly Easyjet from Gatwick. One important difference between them and Ryanair, the Easyjet cabin-free allowance is 50% bigger than Ryanair. This means I get all of my camping gear in my officially recognised £10 Easyjet bag, (from Amazon), the rest I wear and then put it all together for hiking and camping properly when I land. I've never had a problem taking my hiking sticks inside the plane, they are the foldable type, maybe this is why they are never queried.
I am glad that they let you carry on your hiking poles. Mine are foldable also. I used to be able to put them inside my backpack as carry-on. A few years ago I had to put them in the "trash bin" at security. The issue was not airline specific nor size. The poles were collapsed and inside my carry-on size backpack. It was airport security that made the determination in my case. I will buy a cheap pair in Le Puy when I walk in the fall and leave them behind at the pilgrim office at SJPdP when I leave. Bon Chemin.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
ahh.. why has no Spanish or French come up with the buisness idea; sell at start places, buy at stop places.. or, best of all, in environmental considerations, transport and rent out used poles, (and then top quality types).. or, for all I know - maybe someone has..

On my first Camino, I met an Irish man who coached people on the first week of their Camino and was their trainer. After the first week, they were on their own. So needless to say, being a rookie, I gleaned from him as much information as possible. While we were walking he gave me some pointers on how to properly use my poles. It was a game changer for me. I have used poles on all four caminos.

I have alway checked my backpack with my folded poles inside.

Last edited:
The issue was not airline specific nor size. The poles were collapsed and inside my carry-on size backpack. It was airport security that made the determination in my case
I believe that it always is airport security, and not the airline that determines what is allowed in carry on bags.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have alway checked my backpack with my folded poles inside.
I used to do this also. However, with the no frill tickets I've been buying, it's cheaper to buy inexpensive poles and carry on my backpack than to pay to check it in. Additionally, once my checked in backpack was lost. My Camino was delayed. From then on, I've been buying cheap tickets and take my backpack on the plane with me. Buen Camino.

I believe that it always is airport security, and not the airline that determines what is allowed in carry on bags.
If that is the case, why do the rules seem to be different for Ryanair than for other airlines in the Santiago airport, as reported numerous times regarding poles recently in various threads?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If that is the case, why do the rules seem to be different for Ryanair than for other airlines in the Santiago airport, as reported numerous times regarding poles recently in various threads?
That's not how I have been reading the issue. The common element is the security staff, well known for not allowing trekking poles in carry on baggage. The change is that where once Ryanair and other airlines that charge extra for hold luggage would carry trekking poles in the hold without charging for that, ie allow them to be handled as checked luggage for free, now Ryanair is charging for that. This is not about any one airline being treated differently by the security staff, but about one airline choosing not waive charges for checking luggage when it had in the past.

That's not how I have been reading the issue. The common element is the security staff, well known for not allowing trekking poles in carry on baggage. The change is that where once Ryanair and other airlines that charge extra for hold luggage would carry trekking poles in the hold, ie allow them to be handled as checked luggage, now Ryanair is charging for that. This is not about any one airline being treated differently by the security staff, but about one airline choosing not waive charges for checking luggage when it had in the past.
Ah, thanks for the correction.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.