• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to look forward to?

Mananath

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances July 2022
Hi- I am about 2 weeks into the Norte -- just arrived in Comillas -- and I am wondering if there are things I should be looking forward to coming up?

On the Frances there were milestones to look forward to, ex: finishing the meseta, Cruz de ferro, o ceberieo etc that helped with motivation. Are there similar milestones on the Norte?

Thanks!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Annoying road walking? What's wrong with a little unpleasantness? You might learn something from it - like where it's really coming from. (Hint. It's not the road walking)

Like annoyance, motivation comes from inside.

Sorry, I know this isn't the answer you wanted. But the Norte's clearly showing you something, if you care to look.

Annoying road walking? What's wrong with a little unpleasantness? You might learn something from it - like where it's really coming from. (Hint. It's not the road walking)

Like annoyance, motivation comes from inside.

Sorry, I know this isn't the answer you wanted. But the Norte's clearly showing you something, if you care to look.
I have removed the reference to road walking. Hopefully this clears up confusion for others who might want to answer. Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ooohhh, I loved the old city in Santillana and the Gaudi house in Colmillas!

You are very close to arriving in San Vicente de la Barquera, that has an interesting fortress+church at the top of a mount by the water, worth visiting! (I think it's the Castle of saint Vincent, but but may be wrong).
That is also the starting point of the Camino Lebaniego, that goes to Sto Toribio and continues to Leon instead of santiago. A very beautiful route.
And in the tiny pueblo of Munoroderro I ate my first Fabada Asturiana and became a fan since then!

Like, those are more like interesting points than milestones, but maybe they help. I usually just marvel at everything on the journey anyway, like a happy puppy looking at butterflies 😄

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Next, I think, would be the bufones before Llanes. Then there's the bridge into Ribadeo.
Yes the deviation on the GR65 to the Bufones was lovely even though the tide was such that there was no water shooting through the holes. Good mention.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Those who know the Norte will surely have some places and things to look out for. My response is a bit different.
What to look forward to? Nothing
Practice being in the moment, be delighted by the unexpected surprises, revel in that sense of timelessness that arises at particular moments.
Enjoy the enjoyable and the unenjoyable.
Blessings and Buen Camino

I think that there's just a lot more "mythology" associated with the Francés. i.e. the Meseta, O Cebreiro, etc. On the Norte just ENJOY. There are so many beautiful beaches and quaint towns to enjoy.
Agree 100%, Trecile. Don't forget to look for the bufones!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Are there similar milestones on the Norte?
First, a disclaimer - I have not walked the Francés, so I can't compare the two routes.
But to offer my experience from the Norte:
For me, crossing the border from one municipality to another always felt like an accomplishment (wow, I really managed to walk through the whole Cantabria, for example). Not that the places where it happened were stunning or extraordinary, I think it was a simple bridge in a small town, but it felt important for some reason :)
Then there are the bigger cities, that are roughly a week from each other - Bilbao, Santander, Gijón - these felt like an important place on the camino, too, even though I did not enjoy the cities too much and was always looking forward to being on the road/beach ASAP again :)
Another significant place for me was Ribadeo, where you say goodbye to the sea after several weeks, and head inland.
Then there is Baamonde (unremarkable little town, but the 100 km sign is there - felt important, too)
Then Sobrado de Monxes - a very interesting albergue in a convent, and the last stop before joining the Francés in Arzúa, beware of the shock :)
Michal.don

Next, I think, would be the bufones before Llanes. Then there's the bridge into Ribadeo.
I walked past this today though they were not bufoning. However I walked the coast from la franca to llanes and it was one of my favorite walking days. So beautiful. I don't understand why the alternative isn't the official path.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You can now continue on the Norte until Lavacoalla.

Here's the description on the Wise Pilgrim app.

View attachment 153246

And here's the map - it's the blue line.

View attachment 153248
Thanks for the tip! Have you done this section?

I do think I will stay in Arzua as there is a hotel there I liked and if I am short on time I know I can make it from Arzua to Santiago in one day.

I do think I will stay in Arzua as there is a hotel there I liked and if I am short on time I know I can make it from Arzua to Santiago in one day.
We have. It's not isolated, more like walking through suburban/rural neighborhoods, but no services until Brea.

I did. I walked from Sobrado dos Montes to Orxal where I stayed at the Twin Pines B&B, then to Lavacoalla the next day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi- I am about 2 weeks into the Norte -- just arrived in Comillas -- and I am wondering if there are things I should be looking forward to coming up?

On the Frances there were milestones to look forward to, ex: finishing the meseta, Cruz de ferro, o ceberieo etc that helped with motivation. Are there similar milestones on the Norte?

Thanks!
There is a Gaudi house right after Comillas or in Camillas. A must see.

I did. I walked from Sobrado dos Montes to Orxal where I stayed at the Twin Pines B&B, then to Lavacoalla the next day.
In the end I decided to skip Arzua and walked the Norte until the Breas connection with the Frances and then continued on to Lavacolla. It was a very long day but glad I got a bit on the Frances as I ran into a Norte pilgrim I hadn't seen in a few weeks.

In the end I decided to skip Arzua and walked the Norte until the Breas connection with the Frances and then continued on to Lavacolla. It was a very long day but glad I got a bit on the Frances as I ran into a Norte pilgrim I hadn't seen in a few weeks.
Norte is fabulous. My favorite Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.