• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to pack for Monday?

Amanda Surbey

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Nov 2014
Ah, the months of provisioning and planning are behind me. Monday is it. And I'm going back and forth about so many things -- all clothing-related. At home I just keep all my gear in the back of my car and I always offer to drive my fellow hikers so I can make my final decisions about what to wear as I'm putting on my boots. I rarely carry more than tissues and water for short hikes (2 hours) adding lunch and a first aid kit for longer hikes (up to 6-7 hours).

So now I'm looking at what to pack. Veterans tell me 3 sets of clothes, but what about rain? How cold are the albergues at night?

I hate my rain pants -- I always overheat in them (and they have zip open sides). They are bulky to pack. Will gaiters and my good, long poncho be enough? I have a good Goretex jacket for top layer (but also bulky to pack if the day turns warm).

Hat, check. Light gloves, check. Scarf?

For warmth, how much polar fleece and which ones? I have that nice Icebreaker Merino 200 for top and bottom. Was thinking to bring two pairs of the bottoms as I could sleep in one. Or maybe yoga pants instead to wear after shower/during dinner? What do you wear when you are done for the day? At this time of year, what are you sleeping in? If it were summer I'd wear/sleep in tomorrow's kit -- any reason to change that in November?

Fleece hoodie (keeps neck warm -- could supplement a hat at night)? Or fleece without hood? Thick one is warmer, but if I have to take it off during the day, it's bulky to carry, stash. Sleeveless fleece hoodie? Very thin down jacket (packs into its own tiny carrying bag -- super light, but will I wear it)? I tend to be warm as long as I'm moving -- plenty of body fat for now.

Just writing this now is helpful. Thanks for listening to me fret. I was originally going to head out in October and had my head around the weather then. Now I don't know. I'd love to hear from the veteran winter pilgrims on this.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Of course I'm not sure. I'm always like this before a big adventure. I've been an expat now for some 15 years, and before each move I think "WHY am I doing this? Things are good as they are." And, of course, it all turns out well.

Because I have always wanted to. For years and years. It just seems like the logical extension of all the hiking I've done. I would regret it terribly if I didn't do it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Its highly unlikely you will need yaktrax on the Frances even if it snows, forget them. Relax, don't second guess yourself. If your rain pants are bulky take lightweight ones, like golfers use, they roll up very small. Stick to the basics and if you need more pick it up on the way.
Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.

I think it's only natural to be a bit anxious before you start. Once you step out you'll leave those cares behind. I can't imagine you'll need the yaxtrax.
Buen Camino!

Ah, the months of provisioning and planning are behind me. Monday is it. And I'm going back and forth about so many things -- all clothing-related. At home I just keep all my gear in the back of my car and I always offer to drive my fellow hikers so I can make my final decisions about what to wear as I'm putting on my boots. I rarely carry more than tissues and water for short hikes (2 hours) adding lunch and a first aid kit for longer hikes (up to 6-7 hours).

So now I'm looking at what to pack. Veterans tell me 3 sets of clothes, but what about rain? How cold are the albergues at night?

I hate my rain pants -- I always overheat in them (and they have zip open sides). They are bulky to pack. Will gaiters and my good, long poncho be enough? I have a good Goretex jacket for top layer (but also bulky to pack if the day turns warm).

For warmth, how much polar fleece and which ones? I have that nice Icebreaker Merino 200 for top and bottom. Was thinking to bring two pairs of the bottoms as I could sleep in one. Or maybe yoga pants instead to wear after shower/during dinner? What do you wear when you are done for the day? At this time of year, what are you sleeping in? If it were summer I'd wear/sleep in tomorrow's kit -- any reason to change that in November?

Fleece hoodie (keeps neck warm -- could supplement a hat at night)? Or fleece without hood? Thick one is warmer, but if I have to take it off during the day, it's bulky to carry, stash. Sleeveless fleece hoodie? Very thin down jacket (packs into its own tiny carrying bag -- super light, but will I wear it)? I tend to be warm as long as I'm moving -- plenty of body fat for now.

Just writing this now is helpful. Thanks for listening to me fret. I was originally going to head out in October and had my head around the weather then. Now I don't know. I'd love to hear from the veteran winter pilgrims on this.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For clothes I would suggest the following:-
One complete change of clothes from the skin out, plus extra undies and socks. Poncho and lightweight waterproof trousers and a pair of crocs/sandals for inside wear.
For me that means vest, longsleeve shirt, fleece and trousers. Also longjohns and longsleeve vest (2 sets) to sleep in - not to walk in and useful in the evening under my light dress/nightdress as leggings etc.
One of my fleeces is reversible for extra warmth and also windproof so I don't carry another jacket but can wear both fleeces and at this time of year might actually wear the vest-longjohns combination for walking, although I usually have worn my waterproof trousers to keep the chill off as it is easy to remove them once warmed up.
This all worked well in a very cold May, but November forward might need a jacket etc too, it all depends on how you feel the cold and the actual weather. Hat and gloves and maybe a scarf....

Hope this helps,
Buen Camino

Thanks all.

I'm on other forums and inevitably some new person comes along who seems such a hopeless mess. I'm afraid on this forum that's me. Humbling.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks all.

I'm on other forums and inevitably some new person comes along who seems such a hopeless mess. I'm afraid on this forum that me. Humbling.
Seems to me like sensible questions. We are starting to think through lists for next year and even with past experience will still have last minute thoughts.
Buen Camino

Hi Amanda - the biggest decision is the start and you've made that :) Whatever you decide to carry it should be no more than 10kg max (usually 10% of your weight) - if in doubt travel light and have a small piece of plastic in your purse - buy it if you really need it. Bien Camino

I sure can sense your excitement Amanda! Take what you think is best and the Camino will provide.

You will be in our thoughts and prayers. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Because I have always wanted to. For years and years. It just seems like the logical extension of all the hiking I've done. I would regret it terribly if I didn't do it.
Yes. Bring them. Why not? I need them to shovel my flat driveway. If you find you don't need them, fine - but it sounds like it will reassure you so I say yes. Things can always be mailed ahead. I am personally a big fan of washable merino wool and I would never bring more than one spare set of clothes (too heavy). In April, I brought Gortex ski jacket and pants. It wasn't overkill (some snow on top Napoleon but nothing to write home about). I only hike in my rowing pants so I brought 2 of those, sleeping in next days clothes. I'd rather bring several thin tops and layer. Keep in mind that there are shops along the way for anything forgotten or unplanned for. It's not like you can't find anything you want en route. I didn't bring anything to dress up in - it's extra weight and who cares. ;-)

They are very small and light (the Yaxtrax). It was just a thought.

I took the advice about golf rain pants and had a little adventure. Found a really nice pair, but the best part was the guy in the shop had also done the Camino (years ago he said), but he started from here (Luxembourg). Also, he had the NICEST dog in the shop. Some sort of setter. We took pictures. Anyhow, the rain pants can be worn alone or over something, very light, slightly stretchy, breathable, shouldn't rip if caught on a twig. I had been debating my second pair, and I think these are the answer because they can be layered over longjohns.

What a day: leaves raked, pants sorted, now on to the mountain of ironing I want to do (for the family) before I leave. I'm thinking that walk out of SJPdP is going to be relaxing after the lead up.

I didn't bring anything to dress up in - it's extra weight and who cares. ;-)

When I was planning to leave in early Oct, I had a dress I was going to bring for evenings and maybe for looking nicer in the cathedral in Santiago. The sort of thing one could wad up and shove in a bag. But too cold for it now.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Amanda - the biggest decision is the start and you've made that :) Whatever you decide to carry it should be no more than 10kg max (usually 10% of your weight) - if in doubt travel light and have a small piece of plastic in your purse - buy it if you really need it. Bien Camino

When I loaded up the backpack the first time, it was exactly 6 kg. Might be more now, but also I figure I'll be wearing the heavier items most days.

And, it's true, there will be more civilization along the way than I'm used to.

Advice: wear really old clothes and underwear in transit, including if you spend a day in Saint Jean. Two outfits of such if necessary. Then throw them away. That way you start with 100% clean clothes.

When I was planning to leave in early Oct, I had a dress I was going to bring for evenings and maybe for looking nicer in the cathedral in Santiago. The sort of thing one could wad up and shove in a bag. But too cold for it now.
This. A dress is a great thing to take on camino (even though most don't). If you get a quick dry one they are lightweight, give you something to wear in evenings (and not stand out so much around Spaniards), and can also double as something to wear to and from the showers. But this time of year...... you'd freeze your heinie off. My wife and mother each took one in May/June of '13 and, because it was historically cold that year, didn't wear one until the final 10 days......then they finally remembered why they had thought it a good idea......but not sure it was worth packing it the first 20 days when it was cold (and I was the one carrying them lol)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This. A dress is a great thing to take on camino (even though most don't). If you get a quick dry one they are lightweight, give you something to wear in evenings (and not stand out so much around Spaniards), and can also double as something to wear to and from the showers. But this time of year...... you'd freeze your heinie off. My wife and mother each took one in May/June of '13 and, because it was historically cold that year, didn't wear one until the final 10 days......then they finally remembered why they had thought it a good idea......but not sure it was worth packing it the first 20 days when it was cold (and I was the one carrying them lol)

That's what I thought . . . . I thought I could even wear my black longjohns under it as they'd look like leggings. But, yeah, not now.

I even have hiking skirts, which are great because they are cool, have pockets, look modest and a teeny bit tidier . . . but not in November.

Don't think about it too much, just go do it. That's what I did on my first Camino and yeah, looking back on it there are certainly things I should have done differently equipment wise, etc, but oh well. It was still pretty damn cool.
Besides, you are only travelling from Luxembourg. If it turns out that the Camino sucks and just ain't your thing, get on a train and go home.
Either way, buen Camino and happy trails.

Don't think about it too much, just go do it. That's what I did on my first Camino and yeah, looking back on it there are certainly things I should have done differently equipment wise, etc, but oh well. It was still pretty damn cool.
Besides, you are only travelling from Luxembourg. If it turns out that the Camino sucks and just ain't your thing, get on a train and go home.
Either way, buen Camino and happy trails.
I like the spirit of your post, and there certainly is a LOT to be said about the camino experience for those who "just do it." That said, completion rates are much higher for those who plan the most. You should plan with flexibility (not locking yourself into a preset idea of how it is going to be and what you are going to do). But planning and preparation can go a long way toward success.

Also the approach you recommend is one thing in late spring summer (when we did our camino and you did both of yours). Whole other world in winter.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Take the down jacket to wear in the evening, after the walk. I had a light puffer jacket in September/October and it was ideal.

So exciting Amanda!! What to pack? Don't forget your earplugs and wow you are doing well at 6kg. I got by with only 3 tshirts and wore one longsleeve everyday. I just put together a free printable pdf Camino de Santiago packing checklist you can find here which may be helpful. I hiked a couple of months ago so can't offer too much advice on the cooler days you are facing but either way good luck! Oh and my wife brought sleeping eye cover which she found very valuable when lights were being shined around in the albergues. Buen camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I wore shorts and gaiters. My rain pants went the whole trip unused. I wore my thermal long pants under shorts one day only ... there was snow. If there is a next time I won't bring either.

Scarf is a good idea. It adds a lot of warmth draped over shoulders. You can wrap it around your head if its cold at night.

I carried 3 sets of clothing including one pair shorts plus t shirt and gym shorts for sleep gear. I would rotate the shirts day use, night use. The clean one went into service when the day use shirt got washed and the night use shirt got promoted to day use.

You need a wind proof jacket ... the goretex raincoat works for that. A poncho goes over pack and is more comfortable in light rain. The raincoat under the poncho works to deal with condensation in heavy rain.

A light fleece tuque can be worn at night so its more functional than a hoodie.

I carried a 100 weight and a 300 weight fleece. The 3oo weight was used only for evening wear. I have used that combination while camping in cold weather.

I like the spirit of your post, and there certainly is a LOT to be said about the camino experience for those who "just do it." That said, completion rates are much higher for those who plan the most. You should plan with flexibility (not locking yourself into a preset idea of how it is going to be and what you are going to do). But planning and preparation can go a long way toward success.

Also the approach you recommend is one thing in late spring summer (when we did our camino and you did both of yours). Whole other world in winter.
How is that known? Is there some Camino bureaucrat bean counter that crunches the numbers on that type of thing?

How is that known? Is there some Camino bureaucrat bean counter that crunches the numbers on that type of thing?
Fair enough that it's anecdotal. But it's anecdotal based on a large pool of peregrinos I talked to both on the camino and on this site I'd say 90% of the people who had to abandon, either because of not enjoying it enough, injury, or hardship, had been people who admitted they did little to no planning. That doesn't mean that more planning would have saved all of them, or that accidents didn't happen to people who planned, or that people who didn't plan didn't end up having a great time. But it seemed to me clear that not planning upped the risk a good bit.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Fair enough that it's anecdotal. But it's anecdotal based on a large pool of peregrinos I talked to both on the camino and on this site I'd say 90% of the people who had to abandon, either because of not enjoying it enough, injury, or hardship, had been people who admitted they did little to no planning. That doesn't mean that more planning would have saved all of them, or that accidents didn't happen to people who planned, or that people who didn't plan didn't end up having a great time. But it seemed to me clear that not planning upped the risk a good bit.
Thank goodness.
I was afraid there was some Camino techno-geek that actually spent time crunching numbers on that sort of thing. I already shake my head enough times when I see people who know the weight in grams of a single page from the Brierley bible....
:D

One thought I had on the OP. Yoga pants could be a good idea. My wife took a pair as part of her to-be-thrown-out-in-SJPDP group of clothes. Instead they made it to Santiago. With the incredibly cold May we got, she found them great for evenings (the shorts she had brought were not nearly enough) and could also wear them under hiking pants/hiking skirt during the day if she wanted extra layers.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Amanda - I'm on the Frances right now.
Wearing one set of clothes during the day,
Yoga pants and long sleeved tech shirt after arriving
at alberque, and long johns with tech shirt for sleeping.
Fleece jacket and outer waterproof jacket (both Columbia) are working quite well. Gloves, 2 pairs injinji socks
and 2 pairs wool socks, 2 sets of underclothes...and that's it. All working out fine. Haven't needed anything else. But there are stores in the larger towns if you need something. A previous post mentioned Caminoteca in Pamplona - when I walked by there several days ago, it seems that it is closed for the season.
Buen Camino, Amanda. All will be well!
Kathryn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The weather for tomorrow looks fantastic. Yay!

In other news, my backpack is weighing in at 9 kg. I can't seem to find anything else to cull. Ditched the gaiters. Ditched a fleece. Got very serious about my toiletries (tiny! Single servings at best!) and that's not counting water.

Better than Cheryl Strayed's Monster at least.
Amanda - I'm on the Frances right now.
Wearing one set of clothes during the day,
Yoga pants and long sleeved tech shirt after arriving
at alberque, and long johns with tech shirt for sleeping.
Fleece jacket and outer waterproof jacket (both Columbia) are working quite well. Gloves, 2 pairs injinji socks
and 2 pairs wool socks, 2 sets of underclothes...and that's it. All working out fine. Haven't needed anything else. But there are stores in the larger towns if you need something. A previous post mentioned Caminoteca in Pamplona - when I walked by there several days ago, it seems that it is closed for the season.
Buen Camino, Amanda. All will be well!
Kathryn

I have similar. With a sleeping bag.

Thanks for the tips and support!

A very buen Camino to you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Several local news websites are reporting that in very bad weather a few days ago a pilgrim was found lost and confused walking the shoulder of the AP-1 highway near Burgos. Aiming for Burgos but...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...
Hi guys, thinking about doing the Camino Frances in September. What experiences have people had with weather and crowds and accommodation during this time? I would plan for about 30 days which...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back