• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What were your impressions of the Section Logroño-Burgos?

Olivares

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
May 1997 (Leon to Santiago); Sections Camino Frances: May 2011, May 2012, May 2013, October 2013, June-July 2014 (Sahagun to Santiago).
Let me tell you why I ask: I have one of those jobs where I cannot take a month off, at most 2 weeks at a time :cry: ). I am determined to do the Camino de Santiago (Frances) sooner rather than later. Consequently, so far I have walked as far as Logroño. I am planning another couple of weeks. A very (very!) dear nephew wants to accompany me (he can only go for 9-10 days). This young man is an amazing person, this would be his first time in Europe.

My dilema is: should I do the last 7 days (Sarria-SdC) or should I continue the route? The dilema stems from wanting my nephew to really get a great feel for the Camino and I think the last 7 days would be better (scenic, experience, etc...) than the Logroño-Burgos section. I am not totally opposed to either one.

What are your thoughts?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Let your dear Nephew join you on your steady journey and walk with him from Logrono ( in the heart of Rioja and a wonderful part of Spain ). He will experience all that the Camino can offer and, more importantly, will have the opportunity to return and complete what will become his Camino as his life unfolds.

I remember Logrono to Burgos with real affection and Burgos is a beautiful city and a fitting climax to a stage of The Way. Hopefully he will take memories that will spur his return.

I love the part up to Logrono from Pamplona, but less the part afterwards. There are some nice places such as Najera, Azofra and Santo Domingo, but it's not the most inspiring part of the Camino for me. As always it depends on the time of year, company etc of course.

For your nephew's sake I'd say start in Sarria. You don't say what time of year you're planning, but other than high summer it should be good fun, sociable, not stressful for either of you and leave a sense of achievement when you arrive in Santiago.

Depending on your experiences and priorities there are other options such as the Camino Ingles. That is more difficult in the sense that there aren't albergues in every other village so you have to be more rigid in your planning, and more than likely stay in hostals at least part of the time. It's also much quieter, so you'd meet fewer pilgrims. It would certainly be an authentic first trip to Spain, though. It would also leave both you and your nephew having completed a full Camino together and got a Compostela to show for it (if you start in Ferrol rather than A Coruna).

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
WOW! Both made good arguments! The trip is planned for Early Summer (late May) 2013. I rather stay with the Camino Frances; the Camino Ingles will be next! :wink:

Tincatinker said:
Let your dear Nephew join you on your steady journey and walk with him from Logrono ( in the heart of Rioja and a wonderful part of Spain ). He will experience all that the Camino can offer and, more importantly, will have the opportunity to return and complete what will become his Camino as his life unfolds.

I second this. While walking from Sarria to Santiago provides a more finished or complete feeling to the Camino, it also has a very different energy than the rest of the Camino. If you yourself plan to walk the whole way eventually, I'd recommend keeping the continuity by carrying on where you left off.

The thing about the last 100km...this is a personal judgement, I admit. The pilgrim who walks from SJPP or Roncesvalles to Santiago has taken on and accomplished something very different from what a Sarria-Santiago pilgrim has. Not better, just different. I'd let your nephew be a part of that bigger journey.

The Camino is more about the journey, more about who you are no matter where you are on the trail, than it is about the destination or walking through the most beautiful scenery. The Camino happens more on the 'inner landscape', as someone on another post so eloquently put it.

And from experience, I'd say it's more satisfying to receive the Compostela after walking 800 kms than it is after walking 100 kms.

I must agree with tyrrek on this one, Pamplona to Logrono is wonderful later well, Navaregtte is cute, Najera has the wonderful Monasterio Santa Maria de la Real it also has the far less then wondcerful (please note I didn't say awful) albergue, after Azofra you don't have the time for San Millan Yuso and the Suso monasteries but do take the detour through Canas, Santo Domingo de Calzada is fun if you like chickens the albergue there is large modern a bit souless, San Juan de Ortega can be freezingly cold stop admire but go on to Ages to stay. The exit from Logrono is less than exciting the lake is nice and do find the river entrence to Burgos-why suffer,
S

I've done 7 Caminos and I think that starting at the beginning and continuing on is best. I feel that anyone who starts in Sarria is unlikely to ever come back and don another section!
Logrono to Burgos is stunning and part of the overall tapestry of the Way.
I say bring him to Logrono - he will love it and I bet he will want to come back and then start in Burgos sometime in the future.

Very strong arguments to continue on the path Logroño-Burgos. My nephew has no preference, he is looking forward to the experience. The posts above have really made me sit back and think on why am I doing the Camino and how this decision connects with that. I am inclined to continue on Logroño-Burgos-- I have started a journey and whoever jumps in is along for the ride .

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back