• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What's to like about the Vdlp?

peregrina2000

Staff member
I just read this post on the Spanish forum, here to be exact:
http://fsvr1.ibdinternet.com/read.php?6,332394

I think it does a great job of explaining why I love the Vdlp, so I thought I'd translate it and share it with you. I've taken some license to omit some of the phrases and I probably didn't fully capture all the nuances, but since I'm not lyrical in any way I thought this did a great job of saying what I would say if I were! It's written by a Spaniard from the north of Spain, but it resonates with a non-Spaniard like me as well.

"The Vdlp gives us in springtime, the dehesas (meadows, pastures) -- a real luxury, a delight for the senses, and when you lift your eyes and take in all that surrounds you, it is emotional and enriching. The castillian plains, intimate friends of the harvest; those mountains of Zamora, entryway to the meseta for the gallegos, and then Galicia.

The Vdlp give us history, as do all Caminos, but this is a rich history, varied and spiced with many details. Sevilla, Mérida, Cáceres, Salamanca, Zamora, Ourense and even the city of Santiago, to mention famous cities. But we can't forget the towns, the hallmark vessels of our history, such as Zafra and Galisteo. The common denominator of all Caminos, romanesque, gothic, barroque styles, incredible popular architecture, with its perfect expression in Caceres. And as if that were not enough, we can't forget Italica and Caparra, important references in our history.

It also gives us emotion and gastronomy -- emotion with the bulls and their raising. And I won't even mention the ham and all its goodness.

And what to say of its people? Happiness is emited in Andalucia, and it's consolidated in Extremadura. And so as to remind us that life is a compendium of many experiences and ways of life, there is the austere, inland Castile. It allows us to focus on our inner selves. And then, arriving in Galicia, it reminds us that in addition to happiness, the harvest, and art, there are our ancesters, all our memories, and our emblematic "morrina" (yearning homesickness is about as close as I can get).

What does the Vdlp take from us? It takes something, all the Caminos impose their taxes and their tolls, but in distinction to many other Caminos, the Plata takes our sweat, much more sweat than the rest of them, and I'm speaking of springtime, so think carefully before going in summer or beginning of fall.

Those of us from the north, for some reasons or others, go to the Plata maybe to be different, maybe for the people we will meet, or maybe because the variety strikes our fancy. But as many examples in the forum can attest, we keep going back, and it just has to be that way."

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That is all so very true - and he doesn't even mention the mudejar in his paragraph on architecture, or the brief and rare remains of the visigothic (which some argue may, in architecture if not in culture, have left us with the gothic - and where would any caminista/o be without gothic?).

Having made the trip twice in late autumn/early winter, I sometime think of returning in spring. But, with limited time, leaving Andalucia in late summer, moving through Extremadura in autumn and passing into Galicia with a powdering of snow or more on the passes means having three seasons in one month, which is pretty amazing.

I have heard that spring moves northwards at roughly walking pace - so would it perhaps be possible to leave Seville on the day the almonds burst out into flower (which, from when I worked in southern France, I think of as the real first day of spring), and then set out for the tomb, so one would have a whole miraculous month and more of the first day of spring?

Hi, Alan,

I am enjoying your reports, keep on writing. As far as your question about the first day of spring lasting for a month, I'd say that's pretty much what happened to me. I started walking on May 1, and it was just one carpet of wildflowers after another, until I arrived in Galicia. At that point it turned into beautiful green tunnels with little flowers peeping out all over. I went back to corroborate this with my pictures, and I think you'll agree:

https://picasaweb.google.com/laurie.rey ... ToCaceres#
https://picasaweb.google.com/laurie.rey ... sToZamora#
https://picasaweb.google.com/laurie.rey ... oSantiago#

(Since you like the visigothic you might want to consider visiting San Pedro de la Nave from Zamora -- it's a marked path, 24 km, on the route to Braganca. I got a ride out and walked back, and it is un-missable if you like that type of architecture). I'd also suggest Santa Lucia del Trampal, but I believe you're beyond Alcuescar based on your posts. If not, it's a short 3 km walk from Alcuescar to this beautiful little place.

I am pretty sure I'll walk the Vdlp again someday, and there's no doubt in my mind that it will be early enough so I can follow the spring in a northerly direction. But your experience seems pretty nice, too! Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, John,

I actually remembered that post but was unable to find it on your blog. Thanks so much for posting it! Are you tempted to walk again? I find that looking at the pictures and remembering the cities and the stages just really makes me wonder why I decided to walk from Valencia this year?!

Laurie

Laurie and others -
I couldn't agree more with this article and your observations.. VDLP remains my favorite camino and I really do dream quite often of walking under its endless sky. Thanks for sharing it with us. We have very tentative plans for this spring.
lynne

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Lynne,

So good to hear your voice again! And glad to see you've got camino plans in your future. Maybe this is the year that we'll coincide in Santiago. I'm hoping to get there in mid June, so let's keep in touch.

Buen camino, Laurie

''...I think it does a great job of explaining why I love the Vdlp...
...The Vdlp gives us in springtime, the dehesas (meadows, pastures)...
...The Vdlp give us history...
...It also gives us emotion and gastronomy...
...And what to say of its people? Happiness is emited in Andalucia, and it's consolidated in Extremadura....

What does the Vdlp take from us? It takes something, all the Camino impose their taxes and their tolls, but in distinction to many other Caminos, the Plata takes our sweat, much more sweat than the rest of them, and I'm speaking of springtime, so think carefully before going in summer or beginning of fall
''

Yes, to all the above and much more. Thanks for the translation, Laurie.
Cheers,

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back