• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What’s going on?

runboyrun

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
What's going on? I walked the Camino for the first time 28 years ago. Badly prepared and only booked a train ticket. Now I worry about everything: my journey, my train connections and my sleeping places. Because of the unrest, also readable on this forum, I'm just reserving sleeping places. The spontaneous and unexpected has disappeared. Is this the new age or am I becoming an old pilgrim?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What's going on? I walked the Camino for the first time 28 years ago. Badly prepared and only booked a train ticket. Now I worry about everything: my journey, my train connections and my sleeping places. Because of the unrest, also readable on this forum, I'm just reserving sleeping places. The spontaneous and unexpected has disappeared. Is this the new age or am I becoming an old pilgrim?
At 67 I’ll be walking my second Camino, this time out of Lisbon. This weekend I was ready to book the hostel out by the park and found it fully booked 6 weeks out. I’m done with planning. I told my wife I’ll sleep in the gutter if needs be.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The spontaneous and unexpected has disappeared. Is this the new age or am I becoming an old pilgrim?
Still possible to be spontaneous provided you are willing to deal with the unexpected when it appears! Of course a lot has changed and in my curmudgeonly old fart mind not all for the better. I think part of the problem now is an excess of information - just far too much stuff about the Camino out there on the interwebs and much of it wildly contradictory. So people "research" for months or even years and attempt to micromanage their journeys while still thousands of km from the starting point. Or "walk" it virtually by drone or bodycam footage in advance. Fine if that's your style but it isn't mine either. I'll be back in SJPDP to walk with a friend next week. Because it is peak season I've booked beds for SJPDP, Roncesvalles and Zubiri. The rest we will play by ear. And a warm summer night in Spain isn't a bad time or place for a night under the stars if it all goes pear-shaped! :cool:

I did walk the Sarria to Santiago stretch again in June. I did not book and stayed at Xunta albergues the first 3 nights. They were never full. Starting the 4th night we began to reserve so my husband could ship his pack ahead (Xunta albergues do not accept transported packs.) I had no trouble getting a bed and nothing seemed full in that stretch despite the large numbers of pilgrims we encountered.

At 67 I’ll be walking my second Camino, this time out of Lisbon. This weekend I was ready to book the hostel out by the park and found it fully booked 6 weeks out. I’m done with planning. I told my wife I’ll sleep in the gutter if needs be.
That is the spirit!! On my Camino Frances last year I developed the same spirit....i would rather sleep rough than worry.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That is the spirit!! On my Camino Frances last year I developed the same spirit....i would rather sleep rough than worry.
When I walk alone this is my thought - unfortunately, when I'm walking with a group or 4-6 pilgrims we have to book and right now I'm booking almost a year ahead!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For some reason when I saw the title of this post I thought it was about the song....
"And I say, hey yeah yeah, hey yeah yeah
I said hey, what's going on?"

lol and then I watched the video for the song again and made a note to myself to add that to my Camino playlist because it's a fun song and a lot of the lines are very appropriate for Camino.

"Twenty-five years and my life is still
Trying to get up that great big hill of hope
For a destination

I realized quickly when I knew I should
That the world was made up of this brotherhood of man
For whatever that means. "

Everything changes. We all do. We get bolder or more nervous. Aspects of Camino will always change and be different every time it's walked. Some things stay the same or mostly the same. But it's still there and you can book accommodation or find it as you go, or a combination of both. Go! Walk!

Buen Camino!

Leave room for the unknown and a bit of discomfort.

This is my motto for the camino. I do love to research and plan, because it gets me excited for what's to come. However, I also love throwing the plan out and going with it. All I really need in set in stone are my flight and train tickets, the first few nights (ie Orrison, Roncesvalles, zubiri etc), then I'm good. However this year I came down with horrible bronchitis on my second day, so I'm very glad I didn't book further out than one night.

I wonder if some of us are clinging to some form of control, seeing as the last three years were all about the unknown. The over-planning, worrying about little things, trying to plan out the "perfect experience"...is some sort of coping mechanism from the pandemic? Just my musings and casual observation of the forum over the last 12 months.

Last edited:
We've all become smartphone-ised since those 1990s Caminos ... o_O

Mind you, even these days I only very exceptionally book somewhere to sleep, nor do I ever pre-book transport ...

For some reason when I saw the title of this post I thought it was about the song....

lol and then I watched the video for the song again and made a note to myself to add that to my Camino playlist because it's a fun song and a lot of the lines are very appropriate for Camino.

For a destination

Everything changes. We all do. We get bolder or more nervous. Aspects of Camino will always change and be different every time it's walked. Some things stay the same or mostly the same. But it's still there and you can book accommodation or find it as you go, or a combination of both. Go! Walk!

Buen Camino!

😊🙏

You may be becoming an old pilgrim. Many people still do the Camino in a spontaneous fashion, often successfully.

Certainly, there are more people booking ahead, using various supportive services (up to and including fully packaged tours), and worrying than when we first did our Caminos. The Camino has opened itself up to a much wider range of pilgrims, including these pilgrims. But it is still open to those who want to do it in the fashion of yesteryear.

You need to decide what kind of pilgrim you want to be and pursue that route: spontaneous and surprised and accepting risks (which were there 28 years ago) or worried and trying to avoid risks and surprised (there will always be surprises, that's life).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've walked the CF in 2019 and booked only 1 single accomodation ahead (Puente de la Reina).

I've walked the CP 4 weeks ago and booked nothing ahead. But had to replan my walking because the Albergues I wanted to stay in from Caminha on were booked out on the coastal. So I walked via Tui (packed with pilgrims and had to call several Albergues to find accomodation).

If you are open for changing plans and changing accomodation, the magic is still happening!
The days after I left Tui were the best 3 days of my whole CP!

Still possible to be spontaneous provided you are willing to deal with the unexpected when it appears! Of course a lot has changed and in my curmudgeonly old fart mind not all for the better. I think part of the problem now is an excess of information - just far too much stuff about the Camino out there on the interwebs and much of it wildly contradictory. So people "research" for months or even years and attempt to micromanage their journeys while still thousands of km from the starting point. Or "walk" it virtually by drone or bodycam footage in advance. Fine if that's your style but it isn't mine either. I'll be back in SJPDP to walk with a friend next week. Because it is peak season I've booked beds for SJPDP, Roncesvalles and Zubiri. The rest we will play by ear. And a warm summer night in Spain isn't a bad time or place for a night under the stars if it all goes pear-shaped! :cool:
It seems the, "unexpected," is becoming the norm.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ah spontaneity, ... be careful what you wish for. 2 nights ago my wife and I hit a deer in Northern Michigan. Survived totalling the car with barely a scratch. I'm in the life is amazing,enjoy every second and hug your kids phase right now! Also back home and enjoying the predictability of life right now...lol.

You may be becoming an old pilgrim. Many people still do the Camino in a spontaneous fashion, often successfully.

Certainly, there are more people booking ahead, using various supportive services (up to and including fully packaged tours), and worrying than when we first did our Caminos. The Camino has opened itself up to a much wider range of pilgrims, including these pilgrims. But it is still open to those who want to do it in the fashion of yesteryear.

You need to decide what kind of pilgrim you want to be and pursue that route: spontaneous and surprised and accepting risks (which were there 28 years ago) or worried and trying to avoid risks and surprised (there will always be surprises, that's life).
Well said

For a destination

Buen Camino!

Hope you haven't started a trend to post music videos,I have enough trouble tearing myself away from the site as it is

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm heading out in a few weeks to walk the Francés (to Léon)/Salvador/Primitivo, and I'm going to wing it, because I haven't had time to plan and I didn't decide where I was going to walk until this past wknd! I'll book sthg for SJPP and that's about it. Orisson is already way booked up, so it looks like I'm going all the way the first day...maybe to Burguete? That's the way she rolls. Lots of us out here still walking on a wing and a prayer.

I will admit it makes it easier if you have a little extra cash in the budget - means you can always get accommodation if the rare albergue here and there is full.

Ah spontaneity, ... be careful what you wish for. 2 nights ago my wife and I hit a deer in Northern Michigan. Survived totalling the car with barely a scratch. I'm in the life is amazing,enjoy every second and hug your kids phase right now! Also back home and enjoying the predictability of life right now...lol.
What was the deer’s take on the situation?
Seriously, glad you came out okay.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’m on the Camino now and there has been plenty of walk in accommodation available. Our problem areas were Pamplona (San Fermin) and Portomarin was pretty crazy but we did prebook there. Stay off the main towns from Sarria. At Cee now and still plenty on offer.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good sense of balance. I am doing my first from SJPDP in 3 weeks. I reserved albergues thru Roncevilles...I will call 24 hours in advance for others ;) Buen camino

Others might consider that I spend almost ALL day EVERY day planning my next Camino. It's really me just longing for it & it being constantly in my mind, & I love it. It's just trying to use up my anticipation energy. I have all my gear, but I still visit every outdoor store & website.
The actual getting to SJPP is the only concrete planning (& some walking, all the while pretending I'm already there). Then it's just launch off & take each day as it comes & see how far I get, soaking in every little rock, flower, cloud & cafe con leche. 😊

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
When I walk alone this is my thought - unfortunately, when I'm walking with a group or 4-6 pilgrims we have to book and right now I'm booking almost a year ahead!
Six weeks ago I walked the Inglis camino with my family group of 6. We never booked ahead and never had a problem finding a bed in either the municipal albergues or private pensions.

Now I worry about everything: my journey, my train connections and my sleeping places. Because of the unrest, also readable on this forum, I'm just reserving sleeping places.
The unrest is everywhere. This will be my first Camino and according to many on this (and some other) forums, I'm woefully underprepared (apparently because I haven't trekked with a full payload every day for six months prior), I won't find a place to lay my head (cue video of the Band playing 'The Weight' here) and I'm committing pack suicide by being 100 grams over my 10% body weight. I do have tickets; flying into Paris from Adelaide South Australia, night train to Bayonne then commuter train to SJPDP. Because I know I'll need to stop at Orisson and reassure my titanium knee that we've got this, I've booked there and at Roncevalles. Then - nothing. No bed bookings, no sending packs ahead, no ticket home. Just coming in on a wing and a prayer.

The unrest is everywhere. This will be my first Camino and according to many on this (and some other) forums, I'm woefully underprepared (apparently because I haven't trekked with a full payload every day for six months prior), I won't find a place to lay my head (cue video of the Band playing 'The Weight' here) and I'm committing pack suicide by being 100 grams over my 10% body weight. I do have tickets; flying into Paris from Adelaide South Australia, night train to Bayonne then commuter train to SJPDP. Because I know I'll need to stop at Orisson and reassure my titanium knee that we've got this, I've booked there and at Roncevalles. Then - nothing. No bed bookings, no sending packs ahead, no ticket home. Just coming in on a wing and a prayer.
With a attitude like this , you’ll do fine

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
according to many on this (and some other) forums, I'm woefully underprepared (apparently because I haven't trekked with a full payload every day for six months prior), I won't find a place to lay my head (cue video of the Band playing 'The Weight' here) and I'm committing pack suicide by being 100 grams over my 10% body weight.
I realize you are playing with a bit of hyperbole here, but I need to come to the defense of this forum. I don't think you will find a single thread on this forum that lets that sort of silly statement go uncontested.

It sounds like you are well enough prepared, and will have a great time. Buen Camino.

Thank you C clearly - as I said, this and 'some other forums' contain comments such as these. Yes, negative or silly comments are contested, but for newbies like me, this often just adds to the angst - who is right and who says so? We will only know when we go, and trust that common sense prevails.
Thanks for your support. I have learned a lot here.

For a destination

Buen Camino!

👍

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked just five years ago and it was vastly different this year. Too much time utilizing electronics to arrange the experience. Not enough time with others.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
What's going on? Tempus fugit - and with the flight of time, so everything has changed.
In 1994 there were less than 150 albergues on the Camino Frances.
There was no Google, Wifi, mobile phones, GPS or Apps.
Only 15 863 pilgrims claimed a Compostela that year.
Last year 438 182 Compostelas were issued.
Estimates are that only 1 in 5 pilgrims walking parts of the Caminos each year will arrive in Santiago and claim a Compostela. If you do the math that's an enormous number of people walking sections on the Camino or not claiming a certificate if they reach Santiago.
(PS: I've walked to Santiago 13 times since 2002 and have 2 Compostelas and a Welcome certificate.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is my motto for the camino. I do love to research and plan, because it gets me excited for what's to come....

I wonder if some of us are clinging to some form of control, seeing as the last three years were all about the unknown. The over-planning, worrying about little things, trying to plan out the "perfect experience"...is some sort of coping mechanism from the pandemic? Just my musings and casual observation of the forum over the last 12 months.
Well put. For some, research, anticipation, planning, training, are ways of extending the experience, as much as being present during and reflecting on after.

And it's a great observation that perhaps it's sort of compensating for the wild ride of the Pandemic.

What's going on? Tempus fugit - and with the flight of time, so everything has changed.
Estimates are that only 1 in 5 pilgrims walking parts of the Caminos each year will arrive in Santiago and claim a Compostela. If you do the math that's an enormous number of people walking sections on the Camino or not claiming a certificate if they reach Santiago.
(PS: I've walked to Santiago 13 times since 2002 and have 2 Compostelas and a Welcome certificate.)
sed tempus fugit amor manet in aeternum

Six weeks ago I walked the Inglis camino with my family group of 6. We never booked ahead and never had a problem finding a bed in either the municipal albergues or private pensions.
Timing is everything on the Inglés.
A public holiday near a weekend, Bruma is full. As is everything within easy reach- Hotels etc. An additional 10km Walk , or a Taxi required.
Twice this year to my personal knowledge, how many more I can’t say. The first time was Easter. (Yes, I appreciate, no suprise to experienced pilgrim’s!). I was in the private Albergue , the Hospitalero advised that had been the case the entire week. Turning away between 20-30 people a day. There was a long queue in front of the public Albergue from 11.00. People were still walking in at 21.00 hoping for a bed. The nearby hotels were full from 14.00….
A week later neither was even close to full. People were posting here that they were seeing 10 -15 pilgrims each night.
Second time was the end of July. Again the area was completely full , my friend had to walk on- having already pulled a double (she’d walked in from Pontedeume.)
Same Story, holiday’s…
Sometimes we get lucky, at others a little bit of planning/ foreknowledge helps!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
sed tempus fugit amor manet in aeternum
Yes - love of the Camino doesn't change, and the Camino doesn't really change either. Only the people change.

according to many on this (and some other) forums, I'm woefully underprepared (apparently because I haven't trekked with a full payload every day for six months prior),
I set out at age 61 with no preparation¹ and my only discomfort was blisters—and those were from walking around Cardiff, not Camino. So I just sort of ignore all the warnings I get about costs, bookings, training.

¹Some would say that I did have training, because for the previous five years, my main transportation was bicycle.

Is that you Uncle Tom?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We walked the Camino in June with a group of twelve. We did just fine without planning everything out ..

What's going on? A pilgrimage was a once in a lifetime experience. It's now become an 18 times and more, holiday. Not judging, just stating facts.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for your informative post. When I was 75 I walked, with pack and alone for 670ks of the CF and loved every minute of it, even though I had to literally crawl up one rocky incline on hands and knees at one time and became so ill I had to return to Australia twice.
Now 82 I have always dreamed of returning to this place I love and complete my journey, but ever so slowly I am beginning to realise this becomes more and more unlikely as I have been challenged with cancer, heart disease and a total hip replacement in the last three years.
Now it seems that I will have to rely on memories and photographs for company?
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!!!!!!
Your post has inspired me! I did not know I could "walk" the Camino by drone.
This is an inspiration to complete my Camino from my home and in some small way allow my mind to rest in peace.
Thank you. You are a Saviour!
PS. I would love to hear of your present journey.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
PS. I would love to hear of your present journey.
In a bar in Cirauqui at the moment. Hiding from a thunderstorm and monsoon-like rain! Just as well we have a short day in mind. Lightning flashing, thunder shaking the place and streets you could almost canoe in just now! :) And that's an improvement on last night's spectacular storm which dropped the temperature from 33C to a more comfortable 19C.

In a bar in Cirauqui at the moment. Hiding from a thunderstorm and monsoon-like rain! Just as well we have a short day in mind. Lightning flashing, thunder shaking the place and streets you could almost canoe in just now! :) And that's an improvement on last night's spectacular storm which dropped the temperature from 33C to a more comfortable 19C.
I will go and check my records so I can see where you are, your weather sounds horrific. We, here in Australia are just venturing into spring but our winters are mild here on the Gold Coast. Thanks for your reply. Buen Camino

I will go and check my records so I can see where you are, your weather sounds horrific.
Just walked from Cirauqui to Lorca in almost continuous rain. Flowing water on the paths in many places over boot depth. Field ditches, arroyos and rivers all full of fast-flowing brown run-off. Not one of the better weather days!

Any chance of a Live from the Camino thread --- or do you prefer playing this one closer to the chest this time ?

Just walked from Cirauqui to Lorca in almost continuous rain. Flowing water on the paths in many places over boot depth. Field ditches, arroyos and rivers all full of fast-flowing brown run-off. Not one of the better weather days!
I hope for better weather for you. I have just put feelers out for may 2024 as both occasions past I walked then and it was considerably better weather. Of course I am older now but living the dream of completion. Buen Camino.

On the Portuguese, sleeping rough is not likely to be much of a risk. There are an awful lot of small, friendly, but non-advertising places around in the smaller towns. Someone will find you a bed!

On the Portuguese, sleeping rough is not likely to be much of a risk.
Except potentially in Porto, Vigo, or Redondela. Only Porto of those three for me last year, but Redondela was a close call !!

Slept rough in a few other places, but that's from never reserving by principle. Reservist pilgrims will have far fewer problems.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.