• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When should I get my Compostela?

alxis

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for Camino Frances May-June 2019
I will be walking from SJPDP to Santiago, but if I have enough time I want to walk to Finisterre and Muxia then take a bus back to Santiago. So, do I get my compostela before leaving to walk to Finisterre and Muxia or when I get back to Santiago after walking to Finisterre and Muxia?

Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Before you walk to the coast. The pilgrim's office is a very short distance from the cathedral and plaza. If the queue there is short, or relatively so, go get it.

If you arrive in Santiago in June, July or August, the Pilgrim Office is VERY crowded. Each morning a huge wave of pilgrims arrives, mostly off the Camino Frances. They typically arrive starting at 09:30. This causes a 60 - 90 minute queue for getting Compostelas to form. Most all of these folks are intent on getting their Compostela and making the Pilgrim Mass at noon. Only the first arriving folks are likely to succeed.

During the summer months, the Pilgrim Office opens at 8:00. Those waiting at the opening time are likely in and out in 30 minutes or so. So, if you can't get there first thing in the morning, you should plan to make a full day of it, and stay overnight before departing, at least IMHO. Make reservations EARLY. Santiago is frequently full to the brim during the summer months.

Too many of these mid-morning arriving pilgrims think they can come to the office, get their Compostelas quickly, attend the noon Pilgrim Mass, then catch a bus, train or plane out of town. Big mistake! Besides, Santiago has so much to offer.

IMHO, you are really short changing yourself if you rush through the arrival activities and get out of town fast. Especially if walking on to Finisterre and Muxia, consider sleeping overnight and then pressing onward.

Consider an albergue or hostal on the West side of Santiago. Rua Hortas is the direct route to the coast and Finisterre / Muxia. If you say on the west side and are leaving the following morning, you have marginally less distance to walk. There a quite a few lodging options in that direction.

My advice, based on long experience, is to choose ONE accomplishment on the arrival day. Either wait in line for your Compostela OR attend the noon Mass. It is near-impossible to do both in the first order, Compostela then Mass.

N.B. There is a second large surge of pilgrims after the Mass, at about 13:00. This surge usually causes the lines to grow to more than a two-hour wait...just sayin...

But, if you persist, the optimal way to accomplish attending the Mass, and get the Compostela the same day is to arrive in Santiago, place your rucksack in daily consignment (consigna) or at your night's lodgings, attend the Mass, then stand in line for your Compostela, then retrieve your rucksack. By then it will be about 15:00 or so.

There is a convenient consigna in the Campus Stellae shop at the top of the Plaza de Praterias stairs, immediately to the right, on the corner. It costs €2 for the day, until close of business.

Good alternatives for daily consigna include: the main post office (Correos) on rua Franco, and the Pilgrim House at #19 Rua Nova. €2 is the standard daily charge around town. At the Pilgrim House, this is a suggested donativo amount - JUST DO IT!

You can also place your bag into temporary consignment storage at the Pilgrim Office for the same amount. But, in my experience, and IMHO, the process to check the bag, and to retrieve it takes too long. If you are in a rush, this might prove a hindrance. Consider which consignment location best fits your day's activities.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You can get your Compostela either before or after you walk to the coast. Whichever is more convenient for you. One year in August I went to the Pilgrims Office after I returned from Finisterre. I got there about 20 minutes before they closed. There were only three people ahead of me!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
When you do go to get your Compostela, go before the office opens in the morning (30-45 minutes early). The first ten pilgrims in line get a certificate for a lunch at the Parador. You sit at a table with the first ten as a group, so a great way to make new Camino friends.
My wife and I did this after both our Portuguese and Primitivo Camino's. We will try again this year after our latest Francis walk.
Even if you are not in the first ten, mornings are much quicker than lining up in the afternoon where you could wait for hours.
In the morning, once the doors open we are in and out in ten minutes.5308953090

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When you do go to get your Compostela, go before the office opens in the morning (30-45 minutes early). The first ten pilgrims in line get a certificate for a lunch at the Parador. You sit at a table with the first ten as a group, so a great way to make new Camino friends.
My wife and I did this after both our Portuguese and Primitivo Camino's. We will try again this year after our latest Francis walk.

The old system for these was better, though AFAIK the food nowadays is greatly improved, and certainly the seating arrangements far more comfortable -- but as I understand it, that old system was destroyed by some actual fake pilgrims ruining it for everyone with two compostelas a week and free food for 6 days.

The present system sadly is of less benefit than before to the genuinely impoverished pilgrims that these meals had been set up for in the first place.

But I'll always remember that one particular year when after arriving in Santiago very late and completely penniless they let me be the 11th pilgrim.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back