• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When to book Orisson??

godslamb

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2014)
I have searched this forum and was unable to find an answer.....

How are in advance do I need to book at Orrison? My friend and I will be starting our Camino at the end of May.

Thanks in advance for your help!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I booked 3 days ago for the night of 25th May, although you might like to be aware it took a week or so to get a reply and I was asked to use Paypal. Although Paypal have acknowledged payment, I still wait to hear again from Orisson.

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank y'all so much! I just didn't want too far in advance, but it looks like doing it now would be a good idea. I will be starting around May 26th, so we just might see each other at some point JohnMcM.

Buen Camino

How are in advance do I need to book at Orrison? My friend and I will be starting our Camino at the end of May.

Hi there - like others, I'd recommend contacting them now. You're in for a wonderful treat! :) My night in Orisson in early September (2013) was a wonderful start to the Camino and to friendships that saw me through to Santiago ... and continue to brighten my days now that I'm home.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Me again :). If you haven't already booked something in St Jean ... I can heartily recommend l'Esprit du Chemin. Again, booking sooner than later is best. The welcome pilgrims receive there is memorable for so many reasons ... hospitality, kindness, excellent meals (dinner and breakfast), the facility itself (which is just across the street from the pilgrim office) ... all excellent.

Thanks for the info. My friend was just asking about maybe staying in Saint Jean the night before starting out!

Orisson isn't actually open at present- it opens again in March- so you won't necessarily receive a quick reply to any e-mails. There's a great photo on their website of the place surrounded by snow. L'Esprit du Chemin is also closed for now- re-opens at the end of March- and the website says that reservations for 2014 will be taken from February.
Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have been in recent contact with Orisson, and they are in fact taking bookings now (they started on November 15 for 2014). If it's really important to you to stay at Orisson, book now. Be aware that you will be required to pay in advance via PayPal in order to confirm your reservation.

Thank y'all so much! I just didn't want too far in advance, but it looks like doing it now would be a good idea. I will be starting around May 26th, so we just might see each other at some point JohnMcM.

Buen Camino

I'll look forward to that. I'm sure the pleasure will be all mine.
Buen Camino

I too booked. I will be staying May 2nd. I had trouble figuring out how to work Pay Pal. My bank card wouldn't Work overseas. I an from U.S.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can configure your PayPal account to withdraw money directly from your U.S. checking account in an amount sufficient to cover the costs, in Euro. So it is like paying a bill online from your bank. Actually, is is more like using a debit card. But in any event, it does work.

That is how I set mine up. I use the credit card as the backup method, should there not be enough money in the checking account. It works fine.

I also use PayPal to move money to myself in Europe, via a second PayPal account linked to a European checking account I maintain as I travel in Europe a lot. It saves on bank fees but not on conversion rates. Fooey! :(

I am still working on a more cost-effective solution, especially on the dollar - Euro conversion costs. It is not the base conversion rate that bothers me. It is the 3 or 4 percent all my U.S. banks seem to tack on, above the current inter-bank exchange rate.

I hope this helps.

Thanks. I wish I was better at this. That transfer idea sounds great. Maybe with a little help from my kids I can figure out how to do that.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Orisson will send you an invoice. You just click on the appropriate button and it will lead you through the payment. Super easy. No Paypal maneuverings required.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In the Brierley guide it says there are only 18 beds in the Orisson albergue. Is this right? It seems like a very small number considering there are no other alternatives closeby.
It would seem booking in advance is necessary but if the weather was bad would this route not be open?
31 eur according to the guide. It says it is half board. Is this the equivalent of BnB or does it include dinner?
Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Half board includes dinner. They have tents that expand the capacity a bit. I do not think you get a refund for bad weather. They offer some shuttle service in that circumstance, I think.

Ho(u)nto an hour earlier has lots more indoor space, and private rooms. Half board is optional, but there is no place else to eat.

On the 30th Jan I booked a night at Orisson and received a confirmation email and a Paypal invoice by the 2nd February, how quick was that :)
I was worried I'd have trouble with the booking or I had left it too late but all is well. Happy days.
Another tick off my list, which is slowing getting shorter as my departure draws nearer, (21st April).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have been in recent contact with Orisson, and they are in fact taking bookings now (they started on November 15 for 2014). If it's really important to you to stay at Orisson, book now. Be aware that you will be required to pay in advance via PayPal in order to confirm your reservation.
I just paid for my bed today! I wasn't expecting such an immediate reponse. It only took 1 day. Now I just have to wait until I leave!!
Hi Godslamb
How did you get hold of them? By email or phone? i have been trying a few times to reach them by phone and no luck. I am getting worried that we wont be able to find beds any more.
Thanks

Orisson will send you an invoice. You just click on the appropriate button and it will lead you through the payment. Super easy. No Paypal maneuverings required.
Hi hi, I need Orisson's contact details plse. Can you help? Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Godslamb
How did you get hold of them? By email or phone? i have been trying a few times to reach them by phone and no luck. I am getting worried that we wont be able to find beds any more.
Thanks

I just emailed them directly from their site. I don't have their site address right off hand, but you can google it and it will pop right up.

In my experience the direct e-mail worked better than clicking on the website link.

I'm all booked up for 24th April.

I contacted them at lunchtime today using the contact form on the website and had a reply within a few hours. I have now paid via paypal for the 3rd July :) Really impressive fast response.....

I have just completed a reservation to stay at Orrison with extreme ease. I have completed the booking & paid the fee 36 Euros all within 3 days. Just follow there info by filling in the E-Mail.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Itsjann--Great question! From reading various forums and travel sites, I find that most people keep on walking over the mountain rather than stopping. I'm finding a lot of people saying that doing the hike in one day is a confidence builder. Pilgrims keep saying that whenever things became difficult, they looked back on the start and thought that if they made it to Roncevalle, they could make it anywhere else on the Camino. But I'm still not sure what I'll do!

I hope to walk the Camino Frances for what will be the second time later this year, hopefully starting in mid-July. I say 'hopefully' because of circumstances here at home which prevent me from planning too far ahead, basically an obligation which will hopefully be dealt with by early July, but I won't know for sure until around mid-May whether that timeline is going to work out.

So, I feel like I won't know for sure whether I'll be able to fly out for mid-July until around mid-May. That being the case, I'm wondering whether people think that looking to book Orrison in May for July is likely to work out, or will it be booked out at that stage?

I stayed at Orisson in 2012 and enjoyed it very much. I chose to break the walk over the mountain over two days for many reasons, but the best outcome of staying in Orrison is that I met people who I ended up becoming very friendly with and with whom I ended up spending a lot of time with all the way to Santiago and on to the coast. While it certainly won't be the end of the world if I end up walking from St Jean to Roncesvalles in one day (an experience in itself, no doubt!), my preference would be to stay at Orisson, partly to look after my body, but also with a view towards making those human connections that form such a part of the Camino experience.

I've heard that before, that making friends in Orrison was the best reason for stopping and that making the first day a little easier was just a bonus to that end! But I think I may NEED to stop...that first full day sounds a little scary!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have reserved for my first day out (Sept 15th). Probably will feel like going much further, but due to the incline and the fact that there are no accommodations for another 17.1 km, I decided to just book it and rest up for the next day.

Janet....maybe we will see you there or somewhere along the way.....flying into Paris the 11th of Sept. Staying there a few days to get over jet lag then on to SJPP.
Buen Camino!

I am stopping in Orrison in 2 weeks+ time, for a simple reason: I do NOT want my first day to be the toughest on the Way: We should all think about preserving and "walking in" our most valuable tools for reaching Santiago: Our feet. I want my feet to get "warmed up" in a civilised way, and it sounds like Roncesvalles is a target that needs top capacity, which I don't have on the very first day. My previous CF was from Pamplona, so no troubles, but I have seen what excessive startouts have done to other pilgrim's feet. Not good...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
How right you are Alex! Just because so many pilgrims have been successful does not guarantee that all will be. Anybody any moment can fall or pull or break anything.

The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much! Don't let it happen to you!!

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

I made an enquiry via the contact form on the Refuge Orisson website on March 27 regarding making a booking for September 21. Here's the link to the contact form:
http://www.refuge-orisson.com/auberge_compostelle_pays_basque_contact.php

I thought they might tell me that it was too early to make a booking, but they didn't. I got an email back two days later advising that they had a place free on September 21 and advising that they would send me an invoice for the fee via PayPal. Two days after that, I received an email advising that I had received a PayPal invoice from 'SARL APATHIA' (an alternative business name for Refuge Orisson) and asked me to pay within 24 hours. I made the payment immediately via my PayPal account, and another two days later I received another email to say that my payment had been received and that they would see me in September.

Based on this experience, I would suggest booking as soon as possible.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello friends,

I am helping out a friend preparing for her first walk.

Am I understanding correctly?

Contact via email ( refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr ) or the link listed above (http://www.refuge-orisson.com/auberge_compostelle_pays_basque_contact.php) and let them know the date of arrival in Orisson.

Wait a couple of days for notification if bed is available or not.

If bed is available, they will send link to pay via PayPal.

After paying via PayPal, wait a couple of more days for confirmation.

Am I close?

¡Salud!
Simeon

Hello friends,

Contact via email ( refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr ) or the link listed above (http://www.refuge-orisson.com/auberge_compostelle_pays_basque_contact.php) and let them know the date of arrival in Orisson.

Am I close?

¡Salud!
Simeon

That was pretty much how it worked for me Simeon.
Buen Camino

Hello friends,

Am I close?

¡Salud!
Simeon

Hi Simeon - yes, that was how my experience went when I booked a night at Orisson. I used the contact form to contact Orisson initially rather than an email - you have to provide your email on the contact form anyway.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back