• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which jacket?

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
You all have contributed so much to my plans for walking the CF! Won't be too terribly long and I'll be in Spain (SJPDP to CDC beginning 9/24/23). I live in the US, for reference.

Once again, I have a clothing question. I'm wondering about the type of jacket I will need - the final outer layer.

I will have a LS merino shirt, a SS merino shirt, a 1/4 zip lightweight merino "sweater" and a fleece to layer underneath the jacket as needed. I also have the Altrus poncho.

I am thinking a light-weight synthetic insulated jacket might do the trick. I've been "shopping" today and there are a ton of them, unfortunately just not in my size (petite large). In fact, I found zero in a petite large. So, I also looked at regular size large. Prices are high! I've combed the internet sales items with no luck. I really dont want to spend over, say, $125.00. And of course it must be very light weight as it will live in my backpack for the firts 2-3 weeks.

I've looked at Backcountry, REI, North Face, Marmot, eBay, Mountain Hardware, Garage Grown Gear, Moosejaw, etc., etc.

Also- hood or no hood (i'm thinking no hood)? Hard shell, soft shell, wind shell, synthetic, down (down will get wet so likely synthetic).

Suggestions / recommendations appreciated!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You do not need the additional jacket. I walked in Oct-Nov and I had a fleece and a rain jacket. That was enough. You should be fine especially since you have a merino sweater and a fleece. Honestly you could bring just the fleece and not the e merino sweater since you have another long sleeve.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I first walked (for 2 weeks) in October, leaving SJPP 10/9/15. I had an unlined gortex rain shell with hood and a fleece. That was all the outer layer I ever needed. I also had a short-sleeve, very light-weight merino tee, and a long-sleeve medium-weight merino shirt. I usually started with all 4 layers and worked down to the short sleeve by mid walk. For reference, I live in southeast Pennsylvania and do NOT like to be cold. 😄

FWIW, I had a baseball-type cap for when it drizzled and pulled the jacket hood up over it when it rained. Worked well.

Edited to put in time frame.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
light-weight synthetic insulated jacket
Light-weight synthetic - yes. But you do not need another insulation layer, especially one that is attached to the outer layer! If you needed more insulation, it would be better to take a separate layer, which would be more versatile.

I would look for the lightest weight shell that can provide some wind and water resistance (if not waterproofing). Regarding the hood - what hat/buff would you have for cold days, and would you find yourself needing to put on your poncho to cover your head even if the rain is extremely light?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the Camino Frances in Sept-Oct 2022, and had with me a micro fleece shirt and a down vest and a rain poncho. But what I wore over and over and over and grew to absolutely love was my Patagonia Houdini jacket (https://www.patagonia.com/product/w...aker-jacket/24147.html?dwvar_24147_color=STME). When I bought it, I wondered why such a flimsy jacket could cost so much, and I reluctantly bought it as a windbreaker/light layer.

It was a lifesaver. My body runs hot, and most days I’d get by with a wool short sleeve shirt, my shorts, and this windbreaker. In the cold mornings, it would trap the heat in close to my body and keep me pretty cozy. I’d usually take it off late morning or mid-day. Over the windy mountains, it was great—kept me warm despite cool breezes. I wore my down vest once. The microfleece ended up being a soft night shirt at the end of the day after I’d showered. But the Houdini was my go-to. Love that thing.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
You all have contributed so much to my plans for walking the CF! Won't be too terribly long and I'll be in Spain (SJPDP to CDC beginning 9/24/23). I live in the US, for reference.

Once again, I have a clothing question. I'm wondering about the type of jacket I will need - the final outer layer.

I will have a LS merino shirt, a SS merino shirt, a 1/4 zip lightweight merino "sweater" and a fleece to layer underneath the jacket as needed. I also have the Altrus poncho.

I am thinking a light-weight synthetic insulated jacket might do the trick. I've been "shopping" today and there are a ton of them, unfortunately just not in my size (petite large). In fact, I found zero in a petite large. So, I also looked at regular size large. Prices are high! I've combed the internet sales items with no luck. I really dont want to spend over, say, $125.00. And of course it must be very light weight as it will live in my backpack for the firts 2-3 weeks.

I've looked at Backcountry, REI, North Face, Marmot, eBay, Mountain Hardware, Garage Grown Gear, Moosejaw, etc., etc.

Also- hood or no hood (i'm thinking no hood)? Hard shell, soft shell, wind shell, synthetic, down (down will get wet so likely synthetic).

I recommend a rain jacket & rain pants over poncho, provided you have a rain cover for your pack. Wind will do havoc with a poncho when you are trying to walk & stay dry. Rain jacket over fleece & long sleeve shirt is plenty. You will be stripping after a while. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the Camino Frances in Sept-Oct 2022, and had with me a micro fleece shirt and a down vest and a rain poncho. But what I wore over and over and over and grew to absolutely love was my Patagonia Houdini jacket
I bought one on sale from REI with a gift card that my husband gave me for Christmas. If it wasn't a "gift" I'm not sure that I could have justified the cost. 😉

I also have this one from Uniqlo - it weighs an ounce more, but is much less expensive.

If you’ve a lot of merino wool, you might consider dropping the fleece.
I am not a huge fan of Gucci gear, so to speak. Don’t get me wrong, I truly covet good design and materials but a) I expect my stuff to get a little trashed, so why buy top of the line? b) the extra money could be spent on wine and c) top notch gear is the stuff that gets pinched off the washing line. By getting cheaper stuff, like Amazon essential or Uniqlo, I have a lower stress time as my stuff is less likely to be expropriated and if it is, meh, I’ll just go to Decathlon in the next town.

I did take this, not pricey…stretchy, wind proof light shower resistant and…you can zip off the hood AND the arms, leaving just a vest. I’m a total sucker for multifunction gear. Mornings and in October I’d wear it complete, by mid-morning I’d be down to the vest, allowing me to dump heat that I was building up. YMMV

Little Donkey Andy Men's Quick-Dry Running Jacket UPF 50+ Cycling Jacket with Detachable Sleeves https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B091CJ5GZ5?tag=santiagodec0b-20

Plus…it comes in some high visibility colours, I know I’m a bit of a kook on the issue. But every year (I read in some Spanish tourist study, don’t ask for the citation) some # of pilgrims get hit by cars. It just makes sense, if you have X # of people walking on roadsides and Y # of cars…eventually some will meet. Travel light, travel bright!

Last edited:

I would suggest you think of it as a layering system. I usually do T shirt, then long sleeve shirt, next fleece jacket then finally a rain jacket, if needed. I agree that you should be able to do without the merino sweater, as long as your fleece is not a thin, flimsy fleece jacket.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you’ve a lot of merino wool, you might consider dropping the fleece.
I am not a huge fan of Gucci gear, so to speak. Don’t get me wrong, I truly covet good design and materials but a) I expect my stuff to get a little trashed, so why buy top of the line? b) the extra money could be spent on wine and c) top notch gear is the stuff that gets pinched off the washing line. By getting cheaper stuff, like Amazon essential or Uniqlo, I have a lower stress time as my stuff is less likely to be expropriated and if it is, meh, I’ll just go to Decathlon in the next town.

I did take this, not pricey…stretchy, wind proof light shower resistant and…you can zip off the hood AND the arms, leaving just a vest. I’m a total sucker for multifunction gear. Mornings and in October I’d wear it complete, by mid-morning I’d be down to the vest, allowing me to dump heat that I was building up. YMMV

Little Donkey Andy Men's Quick-Dry Running Jacket UPF 50+ Cycling Jacket with Detachable Sleeves https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B091CJ5GZ5?tag=santiagodec0b-20

Plus…it comes in some high visibility colours, I know I’m a bit of a kook on the issue. But every year (I read in some Spanish tourist study, don’t ask for the citation) some # of pilgrims get hit by cars. It just makes sense, if you have X # of people walking on roadsides and Y # of cars…eventually some will meet. Travel light, travel bright!
I looked this up on Amazon - $80.
I found a Patagonia Nano Puff for that price (in a color that isnt selling well).

Light-weight synthetic - yes. But you do not need another insulation layer, especially one that is attached to the outer layer! If you needed more insulation, it would be better to take a separate layer, which would be more versatile.

I would look for the lightest weight shell that can provide some wind and water resistance (if not waterproofing). Regarding the hood - what hat/buff would you have for cold days, and would you find yourself needing to put on your poncho to cover your head even if the rain is extremely light?
I do have a light weight rain jacket from Lightheart. I thought their products were supposed to be good, but I'm very unhappy with this rain jacket. I wore it earlier this year during a summer drizzle it collected much condensation on the inside. I was soaked from the inside out!
https://lightheartgear.com/collections/rain-gear/products/rain-jackets-new

Good thought about the hood vs hat. Thanks.

I do have a light weight rain jacket from Lightheart. I thought their products were supposed to be good, but I'm very unhappy with this rain jacket. I wore it earlier this year during a summer drizzle it collected much condensation on the inside. I was soaked from the inside out!
https://lightheartgear.com/collections/rain-gear/products/rain-jackets-new
That's definitely not surprising. Any garment that will keep the water out will also keep moisture in.

I was in REI today, and saw that they have their own version of the Patagonia Houdini jacket, plus the REI version has a hand pocket which the Houdini lacks.

REI Flash Jacket

I found a Patagonia Nano Puff for that price (in a color that isnt selling well).
With the layers that you already have I don't think that you need a jacket like this - it will add more than half a pound to your pack weight.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My cheap-as-chips hooded windbreaker is from Columbia Sportswear. I use it on cool/windy mornings and quickly stow it as I warm up. It has some light drizzle resistance, but isn't intended for wet weather trekking - that's what my poncho is for.

It's primarily use is apres-walk as I explore my daily destination. It there is rain at that time I supplement with my light-weight Montbell umbrella.

That's definitely not surprising. Any garment that will keep the water out will also keep moisture in.

I was in REI today, and saw that they have their own version of the Patagonia Houdini jacket, plus the REI version has a hand pocket which the Houdini lacks.

REI Flash Jacket

With the layers that you already have I don't think that you need a jacket like this - it will add more than half a pound to your pack weight.
Shoot! REI is out of my size. Darn.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Why would a practical demonstration that the product works perfectly change your opinion about their products? The product is advertised as being waterproof and not breathable. One might reasonably expect that if you actively sweat, that won't be allowed through the fabric any more than rain will be let in. It appears you experienced exactly the result that would be expected.

You have plenty to keep yourself warm. I've walked in the early spring and the fall. -- fyi, I took a warm base layer, a vest with primaloft, a jacket with primaloft and a rain jacket. All LLBean gear. For the bottom half I took a pair of hiking pants with micro fleece lining and changed to my hiking pants without micro fleece lining in the late morning. The one time the wind picked up, I pulled on my rain pants. It never really got cold on the camino... I live in Ithaca, NY, and go winter camping-- where, yes it does get below 0 F sometimes. On the camino there was ice sometimes on the puddles, and crossing the Napoleon's Pass there was fog, rain, sleet and little snow. But that was about it. And as other posters have mentioned, you can buy something if you need it. :) Unless of course, it's Semana santa. ;)

Seems like you already have enough. You can buy a light down jacket at Decathelon in Madrid when you land for 40-65 €. Across the street from the many train station. Decathelon’s are always far in the cities along the Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.