• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which route? Best walking surfaces

Kanga

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Like @Kiwi-family, I am not planning a route next year, just idly researching.....

I decided after this year's Portuguese, that the actual surface of my walk is important to me. I don't like rolly pebbles or shaley surfaces (difficult with my poor balance and eyesight), nor did I like the hard cobbles and stone sets on the Portuguese.

I do not mind a bit of road walking if it is not too hot.

Of all the walks I have done so far, the best surface by far, was the Madrid.

So, my question for you intrepid, walked many different caminoists - any ideas? Which paths have the best surfaces? Excluding those I've already done (CF, Norte, Portuguese, Madrid, VdlP, Le Puy, Tours, Arles).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I loved the San Salvador / Primitivo combination!

Good luck with your ‘research’ 😉

My hypothetical research into the Ruta de la Lana makes me wonder if it might fit the bill. Or Levante?
Salvador/Primitivo is surely a must-walk too, although it can get a bit pebbly (although more path-ish)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Like @Kiwi-family, Which paths have the best surfaces? Excluding those I've already done (CF, Norte, Portuguese, Madrid, VdlP, Le Puy, Tours, Arles).
The one we have been working on the last couple of years is the Vezelay. We've done about 200 miles of it. It is mostly country roads like the Norte, only easier ups and downs. Very quiet. You might see another walker maybe once every 3 or 4 days, except in the evening in the albergues. The people you see have started in the Netherlands, Germany or other distant places and have been already walking a month or more, so they are fast.

@backpack45scb yes, it’s on my list. It’s a few years since I walked a French route, and the ones I’ve done all had lovely surfaces.

If you liked Madrid the most then I suggest Levante (or Sureste which overlapse on few stretches). Apart from first 3-4 days there is not much tarmac but mostly light gravel service/AG roads or paths. Very nice, solitary and contemplative Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Have to add this for Levante. You have some pretty nice castles (some in ruins) and small villages on the way not to mention towns like Valencia, Toledo, Avila and Zamora with amazing architecture and history.

And self-proclaimed garlic capital of the world Las Pedroneras :D

Have to add this for Levante. You have some pretty nice castles (some in ruins) and small villages on the way not to mention towns like Valencia, Toledo, Avila and Zamora with amazing architecture and history.

And I thought ir was Gilroy!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Would super-like that @LesBrass - it is a very lovely part of the world.

All plans now in storage until after the New Year!

Totally agree with Kinky, except for the first 3-4 days out of Valencia with only asphalt (especially hard in the summer when I did it), the rest is a mixed bag. It certainly is nothing like the Norte (especially in Cantabria) or the Portuguese, the last being IMHO the worst as far as hard surfaces.

My favorite part is actually the Toledo-Zamora section with a few mountain passes but both very doable.

I'm contemplating the Lana which I hope will also be kind to the feet and joints.

I walked the Primitivo last fall and loved it! I am 74 and just in average shape and had no trouble. Those who say it is difficult must live in Kansas! I walked the hospitalis route and was a bit disappointed. If I were to walk it again,I would take the other route. I took the Camino Verde from Lugo to Sobrado and really liked it. It was well-marked and pretty easy. I walked on to Lavacola and Santiago,completely avoiding the Frances. It was also easy to follow,in spite of what has been said about it. The primitivo has plenty to keep a 12 year old interested! Also,the walk on to Muxia is relatively easy,very pretty,and well worth the trip. I did it in 3 days,which was very dooable as there is not much up and down. Whatever you choose,BUEN CAMINO

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back