• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Route for 10-14 days? (slow and steady Pilgrims)

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Hi Folks.

I'm bouncing around ideas for 'our' next Camino.
This time Pat my wife will be joining me.
Yes, the 'Princess' has agreed to a short joint Camino,
as long as we spend time in Europe doing other things as well!

I mean to say, what else is even worth doing, but there it is. :rolleyes:

I'm considering a couple of routes, but the considerable experience and brain power of this community, will I suspect, throw up some ideas I hadn't considered.

So here are some criteria that I need to consider.

1. No need to end in Santiago.
  2. Not looking at Portugal. (Just doesn't appeal, sorry)
  3. France or Spain preferably. or Germany. (speak a little bit of each)
  4. Max 20 kms days.
  5. Prefer a route with some accomodation / eating options (Pat is not into Albergues and DIY meals)
  6. Not too busy. Don't mind seeing no other Pilgrims.
  7. Not sections of the Frances. She's done that twice already.
  8. Invierno is 'probably' out sadly, not sure she'd cope well with the hills.
  9. No need for intermediate stops like 2nd breakfast, but a bonus if there is.
  10. added later. We both have foot issues and can't do lots of road walking.
I'll prompt the ideas, with those I was considering.

The start of Le Puy. From Le Puy for 10 days or so. (Route and facilities look good)
Camino Madrid, maybe starting at Segovia. (Only just starting to look at route and facilities though)
The Moselle Camino in Germany? Only just found that. Wine country!

Any thoughts most appreciated.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Was to say Mosel Camino, but then i remembered i heard that it is lots of hills. I might remember wrong.
I was told that the Camino from Munich to Lindau is very beautiful.
Also the "Ökumenischer Pilgerweg" (Via Regia) has been praised to me various times. It's 470km, so more than 2 weeks, but you can shorten it.
Also the Primitivo might be an option, but i guess that might be to much for "slow and steady" in 2 weeks?

The Mosel Camino is absolutely wonderful and might double-up as something else to do / see in Europe. You are walking through vineyards, charming traditional villages and there's ample chance to get your culture fix in too (Trier -> Porta Romana, Holy Robe in the Cathedral, birthplace of Karl Marx...).

Accommodation along the route tends to be expensive (in terms of pilgrim standards) but very nice. Food ix excellent and there's obviously great wine to be had. 20km a day is no problem, you'll find accommodation options in all villages along the Mosel. Depending on when you are walking they do sell out fast - so pre-booking will be a must in high season.

There are several great options for side-trips:

- Eltz Castle -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eltz_Castle

- Germanys longest suspension bridge -> https://geierlay.de/

- Bernkastel (lots of wine fests) -> https://en.bernkastel.de/

- a small (but spectacular) via feratta contouring Europe's steepest vineyard -> https://mosel-zweinull.de/calmont-klettersteig/

I haven't walked the whole way but the sections that I've seen are fantastic. There are some up and downs but nothing crazy. Plus - at least during high season - there will be small hats in the middle of the vineyards selling wine by the glass.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Was to say Mosel Camino, but then i remembered i heard that it is lots of hills. I might remember wrong.
I was told that the Camino from Munich to Lindau is very beautiful.
Also the "Ökumenischer Pilgerweg" (Via Regia) has been praised to me various times. It's 470km, so more than 2 weeks, but you can shorten it.
Also the Primitivo might be an option, but i guess that might be to much for "slow and steady" in 2 weeks?
Thanks, will take a look at those

The Mosel Camino is absolutely wonderful and might double-up as something else to do / see in Europe. You are walking through vineyards, charming traditional villages and there's ample chance to get your culture fix in too (Trier -> Porta Romana, Holy Robe in the Cathedral, birthplace of Karl Marx...).

Accommodation along the route tends to be expensive (in terms of pilgrim standards) but very nice. Food ix excellent and there's obviously great wine to be had. 20km a day is no problem, you'll find accommodation options in all villages along the Mosel. Depending on when you are walking they do sell out fast - so pre-booking will be a must in high season.

There are several great options for side-trips:

- Eltz Castle -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eltz_Castle

- Germanys longest suspension bridge -> https://geierlay.de/

- Bernkastel (lots of wine fests) -> https://en.bernkastel.de/

- a small (but spectacular) via feratta contouring Europe's steepest vineyard -> https://mosel-zweinull.de/calmont-klettersteig/

I haven't walked the whole way but the sections that I've seen are fantastic. There are some up and downs but nothing crazy. Plus - at least during high season - there will be small hats in the middle of the vineyards selling wine by the glass.
Sounds great. Pity there isn't a Gronze style website for those routes.
Though I did find this https://camino-europe.eu/en/eu/deutschland-en-US/

How about Somport to Puente la Reina (or Pamplona) on the Aragones with a little side trip to the old and new monasteries at San Juan de la Pena (you can stay two nights at Santa Cilia to allow for this)???
Somport to Canfranc (special albergue - if this is such a quiet route, could your princess consider an albergue?) 11.8km
Canfranc to Jaca (beautiful town) 20.2km
Jaca to Santa Cilia 15.2km
Santa Cilia to La Pena 11.4km one way - need to return - use taxi?
Santa Cilia to Arres (another special albergue) 10.2 km
Arres to Artieda 18.2km
Artieda to Ruesta 10.2km
Ruesta to Undues de Lerda 11.4km
Undues de Lerda to Sanguesa 10.6km
Sanguesa to Lumbier 12.9km
Lumbier to Abinzano 15km
Abinzano to Tiebas 19.8km
Tiebas to Puente la Reina 17.6km OR to Pamplona on NA-6001 and N-121 = 15km

Just an idea

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Folks.

I'm considering a couple of routes, but the considerable experience and brain power of this community, will I suspect, throw up some ideas I hadn't considered.

4. Max 20 kms days.
  5. Prefer a route with some accomodation / eating options (Pat is not into Albergues and DIY meals)

The start of Le Puy. From Le Puy for 10 days or so. (Route and facilities look good)
Camino Madrid, maybe starting at Segovia. (Only just starting to look at route and facilities though)

I note you have left out Muxia you probably have already done , I have the same feeling about the Portuguese don't no why? .
I did Finisterre Muxia this August fairly easy plenty of accommodation personally I would avoid Finisterre very disappointed in the tourist vibe and I felt was rundown and dirty.
Ireland wild Atlantic way an option.

What time of the year do you plan on going? Personally, I don't think the Mosel region is very pretty until June - before it's very brown and it can get quite cold. It's stays nice until November.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Folks.

4. Max 20 kms days.

Hello,
I'm Spanish and I have never done the Camino (my first time will be Easter 2024 doing el Camino Portugues). However, I live in The Netherlands and to train for the Camino I'm going to be doing this trail https://www.globetrottingbooklovers.com/blog/hiking-the-dutch-camino-the-pieterpad . Each weekend we'll drive to one town and do the walking for 2 days and then on Sunday night drive back home. And then so on until it is finished and I'm ready to do the full Camino. The beauty of the Netherlands is that it is almost flat, you are in the middle of Europe and almost everyone speaks English. I have not done this route, and I can't recommend it from self experience. Just one thing, Dutch food and culture is nothing like the Spanish one. So any previous experience in the Camino may be of no use here (other than the experience of walking). Just a thought

You could also have a look at the chemin from Cluny to Le Puy.

Much more quiet than the first half of the podiensis, enough infrastructure, different kinds of landscape (woods, open fields/hills, Loire Valley...), not too difficult to walk but not boring, some beautiful towns/villages.

Some pictures below.

IMG20220606123704.jpgIMG20220611134407.jpgIMG20220612074639.jpgIMG20220606123704.jpgIMG20220611134407.jpgIMG20220612074639.jpgIMG20220612135247.jpgIMG20220612135837.jpgIMG20220616063420.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20220618092014.jpg
    IMG20220618092014.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG20220606174713.jpg
    IMG20220606174713.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
How about Somport to Puente la Reina (or Pamplona) on the Aragones with a little side trip to the old and new monasteries at San Juan de la Pena (you can stay two nights at Santa Cilia to allow for this)???
Somport to Canfranc (special albergue - if this is such a quiet route, could your princess consider an albergue?) 11.8km
Arres to Artieda 18.2km
Artieda to Ruesta 10.2km
Lumbier to Abinzano 15km

Just an idea
Hmm. Nice option. thanks. I'll look at that?
Though don't think I'll ever get her into a dorm room. :rolleyes:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I note you have left out Muxia you probably have already done , I have the same feeling about the Portuguese don't no why? .
I did Finisterre Muxia this August fairly easy plenty of accommodation personally I would avoid Finisterre very disappointed in the tourist vibe and I felt was rundown and dirty.
Ireland wild Atlantic way an option.
I enjoyed Santiago-Fisterra-Muxia this year. Could be an option.
Like you I found Muxia much nicer than Fisterra.
Though walking along the beach into town was cool.

You could also have a look at the chemin from Cluny to Le Puy.

Much more quiet than the first half of the podiensis, enough infrastructure, different kinds of landscape (woods, open fields/hills, Loire Valley...), not too difficult to walk but not boring, some beautiful towns/villages.
Sounds ideal. thanks. I'll have a look.
Is there a lot of road walking?

Last edited:
What time of the year do you plan on going? Personally, I don't think the Mosel region is very pretty until June - before it's very brown and it can get quite cold. It's stays nice until November.
Haven't really decided on a time of year yet, but as we'll do some tourist stuff after, it would probably have to be May/June to get nice weather

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,
I'm Spanish and I have never done the Camino (my first time will be Easter 2024 doing el Camino Portugues). However, I live in The Netherlands and to train for the Camino I'm going to be doing this trail https://www.globetrottingbooklovers.com/blog/hiking-the-dutch-camino-the-pieterpad . Each weekend we'll drive to one town and do the walking for 2 days and then on Sunday night drive back home. And then so on until it is finished and I'm ready to do the full Camino. The beauty of the Netherlands is that it is almost flat, you are in the middle of Europe and almost everyone speaks English. I have not done this route, and I can't recommend it from self experience. Just one thing, Dutch food and culture is nothing like the Spanish one. So any previous experience in the Camino may be of no use here (other than the experience of walking). Just a thought
I'll certainly look at it, thanks.

Sounds ideal. thanks. I'll have a look.
Is there a lot of road walking?

Seemed like a good mix between trails and small country roads to me. But then again, I took a lot of shortcuts via roads and don't mind asphalt that much. Usually the french hiking paths tend to be more on trails.

Last picture that looks like the inside of a castle is a gite by the way. Cost was ~40€ back then including what felt like an eight course dinner and a room that looked like something straight out of "Downton Abbey". It's the gite in Ouroux.

Vasco.
The best food I've had on any camino so far. Begins in Irun, within the influence zone of San Sébastien - and ends up in Haro, also a foodie place. Or the Via de Bayona, which is the same route much of the way, but goes to Burgos instead. One big hill, but really worth it, going through a tunnel built (some say) by the Romans. Even if it wasn't them, it's seriously old.
A really wonderful walk.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Le Puy - Conques sounds like a great option. I found it very beautiful, well-marked, good/enough facilities and I don't recall a lot of road walk. There are a few things you might want to take into account:

1. There is quite a bit of elevation (that's also why it is beautiful).
2. If I recall well in many gîtes you can only book demi pension (so dinner included), this is also because of lack of options to eat out.
3. The French book ahead.

This link will give you a good impression of stages and elevation gain:

Some options for private rooms all along the Aragones. Even in Ares where we were at the albergue, there was a Casa Rural with lovely views.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Robo:
You did not mentioned Italy. How about the Way of St. Francis? Begin in Florence(Firenze) (you can obtain a Pilgrim’s Credenzial at the Chiesa di Santa Croce in Florence) and visit cities like Siena, Pisa, Arezzo (La Dolce Vita was filmed there). Maybe just go directly to Umbria and begin at La Verna and end in Assisi (184 kms). You can even walk from Assisi to Rome. Just an idea of a “Way” in another country. Hope you find your best for both to enjoy a time together.

Just did a great route after the Frances to Leon

We started in Pontevedra and did the Variante Espiritual, Santiago was in the middle where we took a rest day, then continued on to Finnesterre then to Muxia. I can give you our stages and accommodation if you want more details, but we took it slow. Good accommodations, nice wooded paths for the most part, and quite un crowded.

Hi Folks.

4. Max 20 kms days.

You would not regret the Podiensis from le Puy. 12 - 14 days would get you to Conques. It offers good infrastructure of gites as well as chambres d’hautes (although needing to book a couple of days in advance). A great variety of terrain and plenty of lonesome space between historically preserved medieval villages and towns. I walked Portugal in spring and from le Puy in September. Much preferred the latter.
Buen Camino. C

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I second this suggestion. It is lovely, has good variety, not many pilgrims but it feels like a Camino, and you can keep stages down to the low 20s. I walked the route to Burgos, but the alternative to Santo Domingo is shorter in total, so you might prefer that if you are taking extra days to shorten stages.
One big hill, but really worth it, going through a tunnel built (some say) by the Romans.
That hill, like all other hills, is not so bad if you go really really slowly! The stage of 21.9 km from Zegama to Salvatierra/Agurain is one of my all-time top-3 favourite Camino stages. You can shorten it by 6 km by staying in a casa rural in Zalduondo. (There are more casas rurales than you see listed on Gronze.)

The commuter train gives you quite a lot of flexibility near the beginning - you can stay in one place and shuttle back and forth without heavy packs. This schematic map may help you find points of contact between the train route and Camino.

Sounds great. Pity there isn't a Gronze style website for those routes.
Though I did find this https://camino-europe.eu/en/eu/deutschland-en-US/

here you go:

https://en.visitmosel.de/hiking/moselsteig-trail-stages

for routes in Germany, always start your search in German (Deutsch), so in this case Mosel and Deutschland.

if you like, the tourist office can plan your trip for you and arrange luggage transport. and why wouldn't you treat yourself to some peace of mind? ;)

I know several repeat camino types who are now considering the Via Francigena. Good guidebooks by Sandy Brown (I’ve been told they’re very good, I haven’t seen them). There are plenty of segments to pick and choose from, and you should take a look at this current live thread.

Not to be confused with the Via de Francesco, which @jungleboy recently walked and wrote up one of his typically wonderful live threads.

So maybe Italy will appeal.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Consider any section of the Chemin du Piemont Pyreneen (sorry, there are a lot of accent marks in there that my keyboard of the moment cannot handle). If history/culture/romance are priorities, Narbonne could be a good starting point (maybe spend an extra day to visit the canal, vineyards, Roman ruins, and cathedral). You could take in Carcassonne (impressive walled fortress, if a bit touristy -- take a taxi to avoid the uphill climb) and Lourdes. You could end at or near SJPdP depending on where you choose to start.

Lodging varies. There are hotel options at several points, but gites d'etape and the ambiguously-named "halte jacquaire" are inevitable for several stretches. There is no English language guidebook that I'm aware of, but several in French that you could likely glean the key info from. I would start at this page on the Confraternity site as a starting point.

Copied and pasted from elsewhere on the forum about the albergue at Canfranc:
"There are separate shower and toilet facilities for men and women. Each bunk has a privacy screen, outlet, light and ample storage spaces."
That's hardly a dorm room;-) In fact there are only a total of 19 beds, spread over five rooms according to Gronze.

Hi Folks.

4. Max 20 kms days.

Haha..Moselle sounds good! I may need to look into that!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Via di Francesco in Italy has been mentioned a couple of times upthread, and while I loved it, I don’t think it’s the best option here, because of this:

Invierno is 'probably' out sadly, not sure she'd cope well with the hills.
The VdF is very hilly. I don’t have the elevation numbers at hand but IIRC there were at least five stages with ~1000m ascent and descent.

Vasco.
The best food I've had on any camino so far. Begins in Irun, within the influence zone of San Sébastien - and ends up in Haro, also a foodie place. Or the Via de Bayona, which is the same route much of the way, but goes to Burgos instead. One big hill, but really worth it, going through a tunnel built (some say) by the Romans. Even if it wasn't them, it's seriously old.
A really wonderful walk.
Hmm. Definitely on the short list! Many thanks

Hello Robo:
You did not mentioned Italy. How about the Way of St. Francis? Begin in Florence(Firenze) (you can obtain a Pilgrim’s Credenzial at the Chiesa di Santa Croce in Florence) and visit cities like Siena, Pisa, Arezzo (La Dolce Vita was filmed there). Maybe just go directly to Umbria and begin at La Verna and end in Assisi (184 kms). You can even walk from Assisi to Rome. Just an idea of a “Way” in another country. Hope you find your best for both to enjoy a time together.
Probably a generalisation, but I have read the routes in Italy have a lot of road walking.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Consider any section of the Chemin du Piemont Pyreneen (sorry, there are a lot of accent marks in there that my keyboard of the moment cannot handle). If history/culture/romance are priorities, Narbonne could be a good starting point (maybe spend an extra day to visit the canal, vineyards, Roman ruins, and cathedral). You could take in Carcassonne (impressive walled fortress, if a bit touristy -- take a taxi to avoid the uphill climb) and Lourdes. You could end at or near SJPdP depending on where you choose to start.

Lodging varies. There are hotel options at several points, but gites d'etape and the ambiguously-named "halte jacquaire" are inevitable for several stretches. There is no English language guidebook that I'm aware of, but several in French that you could likely glean the key info from. I would start at this page on the Confraternity site as a starting point.
Looks like a great option, thanks

If it doesn't have to be a 'camino' (as in the word in the title), perhaps also look into King Ludwig's Way in Bavaria, Germany.
I did it in 2014; thoroughly enjoyed it & very scenic.
Would suit most, if not all of both yours & Pat's requirements.
Happy deciding!
👣🌏

If it doesn't have to be a 'camino' (as in the word in the title), perhaps also look into King Ludwig's Way in Bavaria, Germany.
I did it in 2014; thoroughly enjoyed it & very scenic.
Would suit most, if not all of both yours & Pat's requirements.
Happy deciding!
👣🌏
It kind of needs to be a Camino.
It's the spiritual element that I seek.
I find that a 'traditional' Pilgrimage route seems to have it's own unique energy in that regard!

I'm not a hiker by any means. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am currently researching walking from Barcelona to Zaragoza next March/April on the Camino de Barcelona to Montserrat and the the Camino Catalan to Zaragoza. Not sure about the hills for Pat though! Can anyone who has walked these routes recommend it?

The start of Le Puy. From Le Puy for 10 days or so.

You got my vote for this section. When I first walked it I was expecting the vibe of the Frances route. It took me a week or so to adjust, but let's just say when I arrived in SJPdP I found myself absolutely hooked on the Podiensis. Lovely villages, cows peacefully munching grass with huge bells, lovely gîtes, open churches to sit out the rain or heat..

...and of course, the food!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It kind of needs to be a Camino.
It's the spiritual element that I seek.
I find that a 'traditional' Pilgrimage route seems to have it's own unique energy in that regard!

I'm not a hiker by any means. :rolleyes:
Then I would discard the Pieterpad in the Netherlands, to be honest. That is definitely more a long distance hike.

2015-05-12 15.07.22.jpg2015-05-12 15.13.52.jpg

If you decide to walk from Le Puy to Conques convince your wife to stay in the pilgrims albergue in Le Puy the first night for the real Camino feeling. Yes, you still hear the snoring, but it is lots of privacy. You'll meet your Camino family (mostly French) and in the morning at breakfast the hospitaleros sing the ultreia song (at least that is how it was in 2015). The next morning you can go to the cathedral for a short service and pilgrims blessing and then you start walking feeling 100% pilgrim. A good start, because you won't always feel that way as the Via Podiensis is also a GR with lots of (French) hikers.

Arres to Artieda 18.2km
Artieda to Ruesta 10.2km
Lumbier to Abinzano 15km

Just an idea
This is a fantastic walk--I just did it in September when it is busier as it is a less frequented Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
View attachment 158566View attachment 158567

If you decide to walk from Le Puy to Conques convince your wife to stay in the pilgrims albergue in Le Puy the first night for the real Camino feeling. Yes, you still hear the snoring, but it is lots of privacy. You'll meet your Camino family (mostly French) and in the morning at breakfast the hospitaleros sing the ultreia song (at least that is how it was in 2015). The next morning you can go to the cathedral for a short service and pilgrims blessing and then you start walking feeling 100% pilgrim. A good start, because you won't always feel that way as the Via Podiensis is also a GR with lots of (French) hikers.
Thanks @Luka . Looks great. Though I think in my wife's case it's a fairly embedded cultural sense of privacy / modesty. The idea of sharing a room with 'strangers' just doesn't add up. But who knows, maybe one day when there is no other option..... :rolleyes:

Where did you stay in Lumbier and Abinzano?
Arres to Artieda 18.2km
Artieda to Ruesta 10.2km
Lumbier to Abinzano 15km

Just an idea

I'm actually being drawn to the Sanabres, from Ourense.
Oh, so many routes, decisions are hard...... :oops:

Just been looking at some YT videos and the Brierley guide.

I think I've been spoiled with the VdlP! Walking the VdlP from Seville to Astorga I loved the walking surface.
There are only a couple of days that stick in my mind with lots of road walking. OK, maybe four days.
But the overall memory is of lovely dirt tracks. Very easy on the feet.
Few long stretches of road walking.

Looking at the Sanabres guide, it seems like 50% or so it on asphalt / hard top. For those who have walked it, would that seem right?

Might sway me towards other routes like the Madrid?

Pat is like me. A day spent on a road and her feet are wrecked :( Like Camino stopping wrecked.
(we both have chronic foot issues)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Pat is like me. A day spent on a road and her feet are wrecked :( Like Camino stopping wrecked.
(we both have chronic foot issues)
Oh, wow. Then sadly scratch off the Vasco. Lots of asphalt,, especially on the 2nd-4th days.

fairly embedded cultural sense of privacy / modesty.
Especially in a mixed-gender setting? She's not alone. I have to say as a woman more used to Asian monastic settings it really shocked me at first - and I still really feel uncomfortable with the (usually) mixed-gender aspect of albergue life.

One good thing about lonely caminos is that there's little chance of getting stuck in a albergue room full of members of the opposite sex. :oops:

The Camino de Madrid is on my list for May 2024, so no experience yet. But if I recall well some people here said it is about the least roadwalk of all Caminos, because it doesn't follow ancient tracks.

Where did you stay in Lumbier and Abinzano?
I haven’t actually done this walk - just researched it closely earlier this year. There are not albergues in those places but I believe RoboPrince and his princess are happy with private accommodation - there are options on Gronze.

@Robo I’ve done both the Madrid and the Sanabres but I do not remember about asphalt (I do remember the sand in the forests on the Madrid) - possibly because I don’t have trouble with my feet.
You mentioned hills - definitely more on the Sanabres. Which makes for gorgeous views of course!
One handy little trick I sometimes use is to make my decision and then be curious about whether there are any regrets!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Camino de Madrid is on my list for May 2024, so no experience yet. But if I recall well some people here said it is about the least roadwalk of all Caminos, because it doesn't follow ancient tracks.
If you balance using the Camino markers, the Buen Camino app, and google maps you can even trim out some of the small amount of road walking on the Camino Madrid. A few times before following the arrows or the app I’d look at google map and there’d be a dirt path following the pavement route the arrows or app indicated.

Camino de Madrid is glorious - and you can choose between empty albergues and cheap hotels in most places.

Via Augusta (Cadiz-Sevilla) is nice and flat, and goes mostly through bird sanctuaries. No albergues, just hotels.

You could also walk the most touristic part of the Mozarabe, Granada - Cordoba. No albergues, nice little hotels, plus you get the two tourist destinations.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back