• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which UK insurance?

SaraB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues (April 2016)
Camino Ingles (April 2017)
Hi everyone, my departure date is getting nearer and nearer! Less than 2 weeks to go. Time to finalise the last few details, one of which is: can anyone recommend a good health insurance?
Reading this forum in the past I recall some people mentioned that certain policies do not cover the "camino" due to all the walking etc. I don't mind which company to go with, as long as I'm covered.
Any tips on how to make sure that the policy chosen is suitable for a pilgrimage?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Insure and Go offer good deals. They were the only company who offered me insurance last year when I couldn't give a definite date to say when I would end my Camino. It is worth speaking to them on the 'phone as they will advise you and consider all details you may have queries about. I had the added 'problem' of being an older traveller - 65 last year. Now I am 66 other companies tend to charge a lot for policies but the quote from this company was under £40. Buen Camino!

Cant imagine there is a travel insurance out there that does not cover walking. It isnt an extreme sport, it is just walking.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A side issue to consider. If you opt for an annual travel insurance policy do check the maximum period of travel covered for any one journey. Many policies have a limit of 31 days or similar. Worth noting if you expect to be walking for more than one month.

World Nomads seemed switched on to the idea that backpacking isn't a
high risk sport.

Hi everyone, my departure date is getting nearer and nearer! Less than 2 weeks to go. Time to finalise the last few details, one of which is: can anyone recommend a good health insurance?
Reading this forum in the past I recall some people mentioned that certain policies do not cover the "camino" due to all the walking etc. I don't mind which company to go with, as long as I'm covered.
Any tips on how to make sure that the policy chosen is suitable for a pilgrimage?
Just don't use the term "trekking"! Gives the wrong idea of what's involved.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We got ours from sainsburys. A yearly policy as we also do hiking in France and Italy and they cover you up to quite a lot of height. Some companies do not cover for Spain I learned as they are not very good at accepting the European card which should give reciprocal cover. Mind you, I never even mentioned long distance walking!!! Let us know how you get on Annette

Have a look at Insure and Go SaraB. Best one I could find after getting a nudge from Al the Optimist a couple of years ago.
Buen(insurance-filled)Camino

Might be worth you looking at the British Mountaineering Council and Austrian Alpine Club UK websites (Google them). Both offer insurance to members which covers walking etc.
Ultreïa

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Im just gonna say this again, there is not a single travel insurance out there that does not cover walking.

Walking the camino is just walking from one town to the next on mostly manmade well prepared foothpaths.
Its not mountaineering, not skiing, not rockclimbing, not basejumping or paragliding, it is just walking.

If they stopped covering walking, that would be a black day for all citytrips.

I expect you've already got it but if not, EU citizens are entitled to a European Health Insurance Card, which will get you the equivalent of UK NHS treatment in Spain. I've always relied on it, and never bought extra private insurance. Www.nhs.UK/healthcareabroad Even if you do buy extra cover, the EHIC is free and can do no harm.

Yes, but not if you need to be repatriated.That would cost a bomb, I should imagine.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I suggest searching the web for 'backpacker' insurance as this is pretty much guaranteed to cover you for an extended period away from home. By its very nature, it should cover walking as an activity, although I tend to agree with @Dutch, who questions why this would carry a level of risk needing an increased premium.

In the end I bought a normal travel insurance, and thank goodness I didn't need it at all, although it did make me feel a lot safer.
Yes of course I had already packed my EHIC card with me, again, luckily I had no need for it. ;-)

Reading this forum in the past I recall some people mentioned that certain policies do not cover the "camino" due to all the walking etc. I don't mind which company to go

with, as long as I'm covered.
Are you an EU citizen? If so, you're EHIC card will more than suffice. I had to use Spanish healthcare system on a number of occasions from my Great Aunt's broken foot to my non asthmatic son taking an asthma attack. Spanish healthcare is fantastic and free with your EHIC card.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am due to commence my Camino next Sunday, (Sarria to Santiago), but a month ago developed my first ever case of plantar fasciitis. I have consulted with a podiatrist and diligently performed the...
I've just finished the walk about a week ago, and hope my experience/mistake can be of some help to future pilgrims. I spent a day or two in Madrid before and after walking the last 100 km to...
I’m leaving in 11 days for my CP. I live in California and would not drink tap water unless it’s filtered however I remember drinking from plenty of fountains in Spain. Is it the same in Portugal...
I was walking the Via the la Plata. After about 10 days I developed first signs of a blister. I put a plaster on it. When arriving in Valdesalor I saw that the blister was "open" I am a diabetic...
Hi all, It's been a while since I posted here, but happy to be back. I hiked about 100 miles in 2015, loved it, and the Camino got into me and became part of me. That pilgrimage resulted in a...
Hi guys, thanks for all your help so far. I tried to search this topic in past threads but couldn’t find much. So apologies if this is a repetitive question Basically I need to see a doctor to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.