• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why?

Ajda

Why is so hard? I just can't believe i posted some post about not to be afraid of walking Camino. But now - it is just the same as it was before my first camino:

I was afraid of flight.
I was afraid of being alone.
I was afraid I'll go to the wrong
I was afraid not to find yellow arrows.
I was afraid not to find albergue.
I was afraid of people (What if somebody hurt me? Who will help me?)
I was afraid of sun.
I was afraid of bulls.
I was afraid of pain.
I was afraid I will not reach Santiago.
I was afraid of Meseta (i didnt sleep two days before Meseta, it was night mare for me - but now - its the most beautiful place on Camino)
Acctually, i was afraid of everything.

Sometimes it was really horrible before my Camino. I think i didn't sleep for a month. It seemed to me like I jumped into the abyss and i'll die.

But i didn't. I made it all the way to Santiago.

I'm afraid. A lot. Sometimes i think i should stay at home. But i know i'll be sorry for rest of my life.

I think its better just forgot that i'm going to camino in 9 days, then ask someone to put me on the plane and... Camino will provide.

Ah...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You are a brave person.

You undertook the Camino when you were afraid and even though still afraid you are coming back.

Every Camino is different but you now know so much more about yourself, what you will encounter and you will have developed coping strategies.

May this Camino break some of the fears you carry and may you discover just how brave you are.

Peace and blessing.

I meet lots of very fearful pilgrims when I am out walking my friendly dogs. People brave enough to walk across Spain will shout at me to tie up my dogs while they pass by, because they are Afraid of Dogs. Such people make me think:
The more I think about fear, the more it resembles an abusive spouse.
Both will rob you of your time, your health, your self-respect, and a million opportunities. It keeps you locked up inside, while the rest of the world enjoys the sunshine. If you continue to live with it, it will cripple you, and maybe even drive you insane.
The saddest thing is, so many people think being afraid is what they ARE, that "scared" defines their very character. They are so dedicated to their fears that they cannot imagine life without them. Even when offered an escape, they prefer to stay wrapped up in their fear and in themselves, comfortable with what is most familiar. They make excuses for their fear. They cling tightly to it, and expect others to make accommodations for it, too. Even as it steals away their lives, they insist somehow fear is good for them.

Healthy fear is a survival mechanism. Unhealthy fear is an addiction -- and ultimately, a delusion. And happily, there are ways out of those.
Or so I think.
Reb.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I know about fear. And I think my trip to Spain (first time overseas) and walking the Camino has helped me a whole lot in dealing with fear. I was so freaked out the night before starting my Camino that I had to tell myself out loud, over and over again, "You´re all right. You´re going to be OK ... " And I was OK. Reb is right -- fear is a crippler, and it´s usually about imaginary things. What if? I think and I hope that I´m better now ...

Or perhaps fear of loose dogs can be a survival mechanism and not crippling for those of us who have been bitten by "friendly" dogs....

Reb, well said. I tell people who ask me am I afraid to walk alone, I tell them that I leave fear at home, it weighs too much, but I take my common sense and caution with me :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Security is mostly a superstition.
It does not exist in nature,
nor do the children of men as
a whole experience it
. Avoiding danger is not safer in the long run
than outright exposure.
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.

~~Helen Keller

I hope you have a wonderful experience (maybe a little challenging, difficult, lonely, too hot, too cold, painful, exasperating, thirsty, hungry, sleepless, tired, worn out...)

Life is all of these things, plus a multitude of wonderful experiences.

Enjoy your second Camino.
David, Victoria, Canada.

I saw a book one time called "Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway". I picked it up to buy it, and then I realized that I didn't need to read the book, just the title alone was enough. I thought, yeah, what a concept. So what if you're afraid, Annie, just do it anyway. There was nothing more to say. Whenever I get anxious about something, I think of that book title and feel better, just knowing that it's ok to have some fears, as long as I can manage to get on with things. Fear is natural, it's how you deal with it that counts.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you all for answers.
Yes,it is true. Fear is a crippler. And its too much over me last year. I think this is the reason i decided to walk Camino again.

Tomorrow is the day for flight to Bilbao and than bus to Pamplona. And the day after tomorow i'll start walking.

"Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway".

Yes, i'll do it any way.
And i'll try to write something on the forum while my camino!

Buen camino to all of you (and of course to me too :) ).

Good luck Adja and Buen Camino! I look forward to reading your postings on the Forum while you are ont the Way. Anne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh, there are an abundance of "Fear" quotes!
I rather like this one:

"Fear is that little darkroom where negatives are developed."
-Michael Pritchard

Keep taking risks and stepping out...
Buen Camino, Ajda!

The best quote I ever on fear was out of the book Dune:

"Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Each of us must learn to face our fears for we all have them. In my life my faith in God has been a rock upon which to stand that has allowed me to move forward. It is my sure ground that allows me to let go and let pass all my fears. As long as I wrap myself in my faith in God I cannot fail when the winds of doubt, tribulations, and pain assail me.

Hearing how others face their fears strengthens me and teaches me that we all can go on.

Being bitten is no fun, some people have had their lives blighted by a dog attack. To choose to intimidate those in fear is arrogant and antisocial.

Please put your dogs on a lead.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Michael B.

Well done!

The Litany of Fear - Wow!! A gift from the sands of Arrakis. Without question, something very formative from my early youth! My college roommate was an avid rock-climber. I followed him up many a cliff with those words on my lips - "Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings destruction. I will face my fear....."

Hey, I am still here!

Why give this thing called "fear" so much power, what is fear? A thought, who does the thought belongs too? You, you created right? Who owns that thought? You again right? So you don’t wanted anymore? GET RID OF IT, discard it, burn it, leave it on the side of the road, it’s your thought you do whatever you want with it use your imagination, here is a suggestion replace it with “FAITH”.

Buen Camino
Zo

Fears often are conditioned like Pavlov's dogs, so just telling yourself not to be afraid rarely works. There are a lot of cognitive therapy techniques that work well, if you are paralyzed by fear that has no rational basis. If just telling yourself to do something worked, Dianetics would not be expensive (or be a cult), and many of us would be at our ideal weight!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Being brave is not being without fear. Being brave is having the fear and still doing it (as a local saying goes loosely translated)

And actually I have the same experience as Annie,saw the book and thought the title was sufficient, no need to elaborate in a few hundred pages...

P - by no means a fearless peregrina

falcon269 said:
Fears often are conditioned like Pavlov's dogs, so just telling yourself not to be afraid rarely works. There are a lot of cognitive therapy techniques that work well, if you are paralyzed by fear that has no rational basis. If just telling yourself to do something worked, Dianetics would not be expensive (or be a cult), and many of us would be at our ideal weight!

I have to disagree to certain extent when you said “so just telling yourself not to be afraid rarely works" just as cognition is a part us, as you know part of the cognitive process is "problem solving" fear, worry, anxiety and other negative mental thoughts it’s just another problem that our human mind has to solve (all solution starts with a thought) and you are right when you said fear is a "condition" well use your brain to "Unconditioned" it’s a little saying that goes something like this “Large streams from little fountains flow, Tall oaks from little acorns grow” as long as you “feed” those negative thoughts the bigger they will grow and stronger they will be, they roots will wrap around you like a BOA (that’s a snake) so I say as long is not associated with a more destructive form of a psychological disease, one does not need a pill, or expensive and lengthy psychotherapy, if you are really serious,have strong faith you can do it you have the power within you to overcome people do all the time I could give you a list (but I'm not) you can do the research. Again I’m talking about negative thoughts.

Warning: Don't stop your meds without first consulting with you Dr. This comments does not constitute treatment. :lol:

When do the "blues" become depression? When does negative thinking become a paralysing fear?

I have walked with people in pastoral need by listening to them and praying with them. I have taken them communion.

But I have also recognised that some were beyond my care and have encouraged them to seek professional psychiatric help.

Between our efforts and by the healing presence of Christ they have found a safe harbour and they have found healing.

Sometimes healing comes because you hear the right words spoken at the right moment and it brings healing. It might be that an image or a song or something on a film speaks to the soul and healing comes. For others there is a process that has to be walked through before it finally comes.

Some fears we can face and they can flow through us and around us and not touch our soul. Others need proper treatment.

We can help those who are brave enough - a contradiction that so often occurs - by listening to what they say, encouraging, supporting and praying for them; but they may need professional help, yet unless I know that person in the flesh I could not urge them to seek it for fear of being wrong in the diagnosis.

I simply stand in admiration of those who face their fears and are willing to travel the Camino in spite of them.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back