• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will Camino Frances be Busy in December?!?!

vlebe

Walker Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2001; 2004; 2009; 2013, 2016.....
Hi Everyone! Sorry if my thread seems bizarre or even ridiculous!

But, being a holy year and with all the threads about lack of beds, tsunami-waves of pilgrims and even the "900 kept in SJPP" :); I`m starting to have second thoughts about going for the Camino Frances next winter.

The current official plant is to start the Aragones in mid november and arrive in Puente la Reina to continue in the Camino Frances around the 22nd of november and from there up to Finisterra. Planning to arrive in finisterra on the 23rd of december.

I chose to go in the winter as a personal opinion as I have done it in other seasons and I don`t want all the crazy pilgrim traffic jam during my holidays. I live in a 25 million people city... So I already got deal with too many traffic jams daily...

Should I be worried? I`ll be buying my flights for me and my girl this week and there is still time to change my mind and try the VdlP for instance.... VdlP was my first option but then I was driven by the Aragones... and it`ll end up in puente la reina anyways so... Why not keep going??

Also it`ll be my girl`s first camino and for winter time I thought the Frances would be a better first Camino Experience. I want a calm Camino but maybe not a completely desert Camino ( I know it looks like Im being too picky :D:rolleyes::oops:)

By camino experience I don`t want to include queues, lack of beds and specially the "call ahead for reservation" shenanigans! This for me ( IMHO) takes away most of the spontaneity of a pilgrimage... The day I have to do that is the day I`ll move away from the Frances for good....

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Actually that should be the case in most of them. I have experienced more cold albergues on the Plata in spring then ever on the CF in winter ;-) You might want to be careful on the Camino Aragones regarding open/closed albergues as there is little information available about that. BUT I have survived walking the CA backwards in 2000 on my way to Assisi, so "it should" be a piece of cake 16 years later. Buen Camino, SY

Actually that should be the case in most of them. I have experienced more cold albergues on the Plata in spring then ever on the CF in winter ;-) You might want to be careful on the Camino Aragones regarding open/closed albergues as there is little information available about that. BUT I have survived walking the CA backwards in 2000 on my way to Assisi, so "it should" be a piece of cake 16 years later. Buen Camino, SY

I`m glad to know that SY ! I`m a bit concerned about the CA leg but I guess the unknown makes it a very interesting experience!
I also promised Gerald Kelly to send him updated information so he can update his Aragones guide...

Hope all goes well!

Thanks once again :)

You are from Brazil, so I guess you can make yourself understood in Spanish which will be a huge advantage when phoning ahead to ask about open/closed albergues. Also consider to detour to Leyre monastery and Xavier castle, two very special places that many pilgrims miss. Just having a big envy Aragones attack, oh, and the Foz de Lumbier, but not sure how feasible that one will be in winter ... Buen Camino, sigh, I wish I could ... SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The exstraordinary holy year ends up 20. November, I think, at least I read that the holy door is open until then. So may be the crowd slows down in December. There might be snow around Somport

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.