• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wine fountain

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I missed it in May 2014 as I think the route splits and I followed the alternative arrows.

I didn't notice the split in the route before the fountain, when we reached Irache we followed the arrows to the left and there it was. About 100mts after the fountain there was an alternative higher route but we stuck to the lower route.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I didn't notice the split in the route before the fountain, when we reached Irache we followed the arrows to the left and there it was. About 100mts after the fountain there was an alternative higher route but we stuck to the lower route.
So keep left...

So keep left...
This is what the guide said and we followed that and the arrows.

Walk through suburban Estella, past the turning to the Oncineda albergue then climb uphill to Ayegui. Turn left just before the playground and head towards the Monasterio de Irache. In a few hundred metres reach the Fuente del Vino. Follow the gravel road lined with vines to Irache.

So the fountain is after Ayegui and before Irache and not as I said before. (senior moment)

This is what the guide said and we followed that and the arrows.

Walk through suburban Estella, past the turning to the Oncineda albergue then climb uphill to Ayegui. Turn left just before the playground and head towards the Monasterio de Irache. In a few hundred metres reach the Fuente del Vino. Follow the gravel road lined with vines to Irache.

So the fountain is after Ayegui and before Irache.
Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Don't worry. After turning left into the park by the petrol station and then walking the long uphill (passing a fuente about 2/3rds of the way up) you are taken downhill to the main road. There is a pedestrian crossing about 10 metres along it to your right. The arrows clearly point for you to cross the road, walk some few metres along and take the first road to left (again clearly marked). After this it is impossible to miss the fountain.

Camino de Santiago 2012 147.jpg

Camino is at the left of the photo. The wine fountain is inside the fence to the right of the photo. As you can see it is well indicated and located on the camino.

The wine is good. My pack felt much lighter for several kilometers.

My thanks to Bodegas Irache.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
That's what I thought! So how do I NOT miss it?!
Hola travellingpen

I'd say you 'could' miss it - if you had your head down .

It's not exactly the romantic or quaint image I had conjured in my mind when I had been told about the wine fountain.

It is in a wall of the bodegas winery behind a fenced area. See pics below. The reality I guess is all it could be, it has to come via a winery., but I guess I was expecting a fairy tale.
It's quite a bit of fun really., but it didn't taste the best. Most people I've spoken with come upon it in the AM and are not feeling like sipping wine in the morning. Wine is so cheap to buy at mealtime , you won't want to take any with you in a bottle and have the extra weight either.

Enjoy your turn though, it's a nice break

Buen Camino, Annie

. ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1403703821.520670.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1403703870.932670.jpg

When I passed (in the rather early morning having slept in Irache) I saw quite some pilgrims (and non-pilgrims) hanging around - disappointed that the taps had not been opened yet! - Later - at a resting place - some pilgrims (which I had formerly met) came happily up to me saying "Now it is open". Well, at that time of day, I chose not to go back, though. I love wine but at that early time of day I opted to have wine with my evening meal instead - not that I am particularly abstinent, mind you.

annelise

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The fountain is before the split, right goes down to the highway by the Monjardin albergue which despite the name has all the emenities of a petrol station-to the left goes through the mountains well largish hills covered with lavender in season and should one sit for a minute break out a bit of cheese, jamon or chorizo, and the 250 grams of godawful wine brought fro the fountain, it almost tastes good!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The fountain is before the split, right goes down to the highway by the Monjardin albergue which despite the name has all the emenities of a petrol station-to the left goes through the mountains well largish hills covered with lavender in season and should one sit for a minute break out a bit of cheese, jamon or chorizo, and the 250 grams of godawful wine brought fro the fountain, it almost tastes good!

We thought it was good wine. Some people filled a few liter bottles to carry with them saw a lot of people empty their water bottles or buy new water bottles to empty to fill with wine, but then along comes Ginny who just pulls out her Camino shell and drinks out of it. Smarter than the rest of us!

Having walked along the country road until the A12 bridge the split is quite soon (just a few meters) after you go under the bridge and turn right. The track to the left (signposted taking you through a gap in the trees) takes you onto a strenuous uphill trek. There are beautiful views, but you earn every one of them. Staying on the uphill road parallel to the main road takes you to Monjardin.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was there last Friday, I didn´t drink wine from the fountain because I had bad memories about the wine from a previous visit.I drank water.
After that, I took the track to the left that surrounds Montejurra . It was a good choice because it was very hot and on that path you walk under the oaks. I think that most pilgrims chose that option because the heat.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is good for people to know that the taps are only open at certain hours and if you stay in Estella and start out before 7:30, you will likely have quite a wait if you really want the wine. We walked up on a Saturday morning and the local teenagers were all coming down the hill at 6:30am having obviously been enjoying themselves on something. When we got there and the tap was dry, we assumed they had spent the night drinking all the remains. Then we realized the bodega actually shut it off at night.
Rambler

Enjoyed the vintage quite well. Here is my bicycle just last week. Couldnt get the folks back home to watch my shenanigans on the webcam!Bodegas Irache.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
upload_2014-7-5_7-29-46.pngupload_2014-7-5_7-29-46.png upload_2014-7-5_7-29-46.png Its behind the building. On the Camino the route approaches from Ayegui.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My recommendation: have a nice picture of yourself in front of the fountain, wave to the webcam, skip the wine.
But I actually wanted to note that apparently you can ask for a sello (a stamp) in the adjacent Museo del Vino, just around the corner.

Here's a Google Maps satellite view of the Irache Bodega, where the dropped pin marks to the location of the fountain, and another view in relation to Ayegui.

image.jpg image.jpg

nothing wrong with a palmful of wine as the sun's rising...sc0009334801.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The split between higher and lower is just after the fountain (I highly recommend the higher, it is better views and, I actually think potentially less work)

That said, there is an unmarked shortcut to get to the lower route that splits off about 200 meters before the fountain. My guess is that those who miss it have followed the locals on this shortcut without realizing it

Any updates from the wine fountain on?
Hi Falcon
I stopped with the blog, as I was finding it difficult to do while on the camino - not for lack of internet, but more because I was finding the words difficult at the time. I ended up having an amazing experience and met wonderful people. I finished in Santiago on 9 August, on a day when 2,709 pilgrims received their compostelas, luckily we arrived at 8:30am, so the queue wasn't too bad. I still intend writing a piece on the camino and will post it when I do. But, here is a link to all the photos from my trip if anyone is interested. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.334404353394526&type=1
I raised money for dogs rescued from the dog meat trade (stolen from Thailand, and taken across the border to Vietnam to be slaughtered) and when I got back I actually adopted one of these dogs -- the sweetest little thing, hard to believe she was hours away from being soup!
Anyway, thanks so much for asking. I'm still walking 10km at least 4 times a week, keeping fit, and will do the camino again in a few years time with my husband this time. I was lucky in that he looked after my daughter this time so I could go away for a month, so we need to wait for her to finish school (she's 11 now) so we can both get away for that amount of time.
Buen Camino everyone!

Just to note that there is not an unlimited amount of wine each day. I would encourage people to be considerate to other pilgrims, taking a drink but not filling their bottles so as to leave some for others later.
Agreed. I filled a small bottle 1/5 full instead of drinking straight from the fountain, but only because there was a line behind me and i didn't want to rush through my drink. I don't think I took hardly any more than one good swig straight from the fountain would have equaled. So I agree with your general point......filling up a bottle for the road is not cool.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wine is wine, and free wine is good wine. ;)
Just being a New Orleanian whereever you are ;)

be-1393524285.png

€46,-
Hi Falcon
I stopped with the blog, as I was finding it difficult to do while on the camino - not for lack of internet, but more because I was finding the words difficult at the time. I ended up having an amazing experience and met wonderful people. I finished in Santiago on 9 August, on a day when 2,709 pilgrims received their compostelas, luckily we arrived at 8:30am, so the queue wasn't too bad. I still intend writing a piece on the camino and will post it when I do. But, here is a link to all the photos from my trip if anyone is interested. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.334404353394526&type=1
I raised money for dogs rescued from the dog meat trade (stolen from Thailand, and taken across the border to Vietnam to be slaughtered) and when I got back I actually adopted one of these dogs -- the sweetest little thing, hard to believe she was hours away from being soup!
Anyway, thanks so much for asking. I'm still walking 10km at least 4 times a week, keeping fit, and will do the camino again in a few years time with my husband this time. I was lucky in that he looked after my daughter this time so I could go away for a month, so we need to wait for her to finish school (she's 11 now) so we can both get away for that amount of time.
Buen Camino everyone!
I've traveled a bit through Thailand, Cambodia and the Philippines and ate a lot of street and village food. Wonder if I've ever consumed "old fido" unknowingly. :eek:

Just to note that there is not an unlimited amount of wine each day. I would encourage people to be considerate to other pilgrims, taking a drink but not filling their bottles so as to leave some for others later.

Good point. The woman in front of me in line for a sample of wine used the wine spigot as her personal bath, running it all over her hands, front and back, and then splashing a bunch of wine over her face. At one point she gargled with it, leaving the spigot running. On one hand I was reminding myself that "everybody walks their own camino," but on the other hand I felt like telling her, "Hey, lady, there are more people in the world than just you!" I wonder if that wine spigot is there to have us ponder the nature of giving, receiving, and sharing. I'm pretty sure the gift to me was more than a sip of wine. It took me right back to my childhood with lots of siblings and that feeling of "I might not get my share."

I stayed in Ayegui in September and missed the turn off that brings you to the fountain.
Ten minutes later, we turned back to find the turn off and the free wine :)
It's not the best tasting wine however ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hmm, Fountain of Youth, if only. The wine dispensed at Irache is a "joven"; un-matured, immature, un-seasoned. Full of youthful vigour and enthusiasm; lacking age or experience it has had no opportunity to breathe slowly, watch the seasons roll and relax. If this stage of life echoes that of the pilgrim at the fountain then Pan/Bachus will grant them their wishes - suck hard, drink deep, fill again the brimming bowl. Let chaos reign and the world be full.

Others, passing, may take a grateful sup of a gift freely given and walk on...

It was not the best wine on the Camino, but it's just something I had to do. The Camino is full of experiences like this. Enjoy it, take it for what it is and move on to the next one. We loved the whole journey.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The wine was fair enough but I would not recommend emptying your water to fill up with wine. A friend of ours did so and when we met him later in Monjardin he was regretting it. On a hot day, water is definitely best

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back