• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter Camino- will I need to use a phone a lot to find open places?

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning from SJPdP 2015-16 winter
My husband and I are planning to do a Camino from St Jean to Santiago and possibly Finnesterre starting in mid December 2015. (We know about Napoleon route being closed and plan to go Valcarlos route).

My question is: Based on how many things will be closed at this time of year, do you think it's necessary for us to carry a Spanish phone? We will have our US iphones with us and in an emergency we'll pay the higher rates to make a call. We also plan to use wifi based calling for calls home or to make calls when we're in towns and places that offer wifi. We'll also call ahead from each albergue to make sure we know what is open ahead (to confirm the gronze and list is accurate.). But, given that it's winter and with limited things open, how often do you think we'll want/need to make calls when we aren't by wifi? I'm imagining the situations such as "arrive at a locked albergue door and the sign says to call ## to have the key brought"? Or, if we plan to hike 25km and know that albergue is open, but upon arriving feel like it's a beautiful day so we'd like to call 10km ahead to see if the next one is open (if the 25km albergue is closed or doesn't have wifi nearby?)...

Thank you in advance for you suggestions! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
...We will have our US iphones with us and in an emergency we'll pay the higher rates... :)
Your cell service provider will have available an International package, covering network data and reduced call rates. (At least ATT does, and I assume the others have something similar.) It's a great way to avoid those $800 end-of-trip phone bills.

My husband and I are planning to do a Camino from St Jean to Santiago and possibly Finnesterre starting in mid December 2015. (We know about Napoleon route being closed and plan to go Valcarlos route).

My question is: Based on how many things will be closed at this time of year, do you think it's necessary for us to carry a Spanish phone? We will have our US iphones with us and in an emergency we'll pay the higher rates to make a call. We also plan to use wifi based calling for calls home or to make calls when we're in towns and places that offer wifi. We'll also call ahead from each albergue to make sure we know what is open ahead (to confirm the gronze and list is accurate.). But, given that it's winter and with limited things open, how often do you think we'll want/need to make calls when we aren't by wifi? I'm imagining the situations such as "arrive at a locked albergue door and the sign says to call ## to have the key brought"? Or, if we plan to hike 25km and know that albergue is open, but upon arriving feel like it's a beautiful day so we'd like to call 10km ahead to see if the next one is open (if the 25km albergue is closed or doesn't have wifi nearby?)...

I would suggest that you either use you cel carriers international plan (cheaper) or if your phone is 'unlocked' you can buy a Spanish SIM card (we have used Orange and it was fine) in Pamplona for around 20 euros and that will be cheaper still. My wife and I walked the CF at that same time of year and found places to stay in all the larger towns. However, many albergues in the smaller villages will be closed. Calling ahead is the best plan as even albergues listed as being open all year can sometimes be closed. It worked for us. You will have a wonderful time and Christmas on the Camino is always memorable. Buen Camino.

John

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Hola
You are in for a fantastic experience with a winter camino which is a bit different than in other seasons.
My experience is that once you get to Saint Jean you will meet other pilgrims and you may walk with them for days, weeks or even a month.
Because there are few pilgrims on route everyone are sharing informations (or a phone) as well as the locals are very alert that pilgrims do not strand somewhere without a bed.
There will be plenty of help on your way.

The pilgrim office or the albergue in Saint Jean probably has a photocopied list of the albergues that are open.
This list is given the pilgrims so some planning is possible. The list is probably not 100% accurate but it will allow some planning.
Most, if not all, albergues you will stay at know which ones are open a few days ahead, so ask the hospitalero/a about news.
In fact, do ask them about weather forecasts, local directions, etc etc. They are very helpful.

If you need to make a local call in Spain you can also use a phone booth, which are available in most towns or as you write, use the wifi along the way.

In short, once you get walking things will solve themselves and you will have people to share and plan with.

If you are taking your US phone I'd say unlock it.
That way you have the option to use a Spanish SIM card if you choose to do so.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Hello Happy-Walker,

The radio frequencies used by cellular phone networks are not the same in North America and in Europe.
If your phone is a little old, check if it is compatible with the European networks...

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

The winter is very hard, in León.

In the villages Rabanal del Camino, Foncebadón, holly, Pedrafita, there may be problems for a lot of snow.

Last year the police had to rescue a Japanese pilgrim trapped by snow
The weather information is important

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

What model iPhone and what carrier do you use? You could just buy a Spanish SIM card and use what you already own for a lot less than paying a US phone carrier for their expensive "international plan."

The cheapest and easiest way is to use a Spanish SIM card.
What carrier do you use? We can give better advice if we know what you are using for a phone in the USA.
I am planning to walk the CF again in January.

The AT&T international service can get expensive, and the charges will sneak up with you. I, too, recommend getting a Spanish SIM chip (it won't work while you are in France). I have had satisfactory experiences with Vodafone.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A phone is useful.
Local knowledge is better.
The hospitalero will always tell you the next albergue that is open. Be prepared to walk up to 25/30 k occasionally eg out of Burgos.
If u have a smartphone / digital camera take a photo of a local taxi card. In reality taxi distances are short and drivers will "know" where you are if you have overstretched!
U can buy a Spanish mobile for €20 and credit for €10 for calls - allow a little time in eg Pamplona to purchase.

Just some ideas!

We walked January and the first week of February and never booked accommodation, but at that time (2007) most albergues were closed anyway. We just walked into the town or village and using our Brierley looked for what might be open, or if nothing was open, then (this was the most common) we went into a bar or cafe and asked about rooms for rent in the locality. Never went without a bed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is a dedicated website for this, updated daily from November through March by camino pioneer Lourdes Lluch. To learn which albergue is open during that time, look on www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno.

This is great advice from Rebekah. I used this list last year when I walked in January/February and it was a valuable resource. Also, as others mentioned, keeping your eyes and ears open and finding out what is open along the way and what the weather is like from hospitaleros and bar/restaurant owners is also very, very helpful. I was hit by very inclement weather last winter a couple of days, but was never at a loss in trying to find a place to spend the night. I am a very busy priest, and find that the winter is the only time I can get time off to go on the Camino, so I will be going back again this upcoming January. As this Camino forum shows, the support we get from fellow pilgrims and others along the way is incredible.

Thank you all for the responses. I finally got some information about my At&t options. Varying monthly rates with a charge per minute (higher monthly fee gives lower price per minute). I don't think I'd be making a lot of calls- I plan to call from albergues/bars in advance to check what is open for most nights, ask local bars, etc. I think my Spanish is good enough to do this, if my accent doesn't get in the way too much ( or I should say accents: an American speaking school-learned Spanish that has been practiced mostly only in South America or with Mexicans)
But I want to be prepared for days when we decide to walk less or more than we planned, or where the albergue the night before did not have an option to use their phone to call ahead.... I just wish I knew how many calls that may end up being....

Like others have said, if your phone is unlocked just buy a Spanish SIM card - problem solved ;-) I would count with one call per day to check if an albergue is open. Buen Camino! SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you all for the responses. I finally got some information about my At&t options. Varying monthly rates with a charge per minute (higher monthly fee gives lower price per minute). I don't think I'd be making a lot of calls- I plan to call from albergues/bars in advance to check what is open for most nights, ask local bars, etc. I think my Spanish is good enough to do this, if my accent doesn't get in the way too much ( or I should say accents: an American speaking school-learned Spanish that has been practiced mostly only in South America or with Mexicans)
But I want to be prepared for days when we decide to walk less or more than we planned, or where the albergue the night before did not have an option to use their phone to call ahead.... I just wish I knew how many calls that may end up being....

I'm on AT&T with my unlocked iPhone, I realize it's easier to buy the "international plan" but it is such a big ripoff for so little in return. If you want to use your iPhone like you would at home with all the bells and whistles and without fear of an astronomical phone bill when you get home, a prepaid Spanish SIM card is the most inexpensive option.
Submit an unlock request to AT&T and get your iPhone unlocked (it may require paying off the phone itself.) If the iPhone is out of contract, it will be easily approved for an unlock, then follow the instructions to complete the unlock. Once your device is unlocked, purchase and install a prepaid Spanish SIM card with data when you get to Spain.

Here is a link to various prepaid Spanish SIM cards. http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Spain
Vodafone has the Tourist SIM for €15 which includes 1.5GB of data and 60 min of international calling back to the US, just stop by a tabac store or phone store to add store to add more calling credit as needed, it also automatically renews plan after 30 days provided you have €15 on the account.
It's better to have a local number, do you think an albergue wants to make an international call to reach you?

Last edited:
Thank you all for the suggestions, I'm going in tomorrow to try to sort it out. Unfortunately I think that since I need to keep texting available to my US phone number (for work reasons, unfortunately), I may just have to do ATT's international plan.... I have an old iphone 4 i could unlock and also carry that, but carrying two phones (and charging cords) seems like added weight for questionable value, unless I'll be needing to make a lot of calls in areas where I won't have wifi.... ?

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back