• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wise card/app

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Wise card is a card like any other. If cards are accepted at a certain establishment, there’s no reason why a Wise card in particular would not be. I use Wise for all my card transactions in Spain.

That said, there are places along the camino that don’t accept cards, so it is ‘wise’ to have cash on you.

I echo Nick (@jungleboy ) on this. I've used mine on both the Primitivo and the Inglès this year, anywhere they accepted cards. As do numerous other pilgrims on the forum - it's come up in several other threads.
Following the number of posts I've read about carrying cash on this forum, I was actually surprised at how little I used. ( I think around €200 in two weeks, and that included giving my share of a meal etc to others so they could pay with card). I started off with €350, I never carry more.
There will always be places that only accept cash ( although, for any purchase over €30 they are obliged BY LAW to offer alternatives - card, direct credit). Plus those that set a minimum limit - often €10, occasionally €30. - for the reason above.
As the Wise card functions predominantly as a debit card, the cost to the retailer is very low, unlike a credit card. But, of course, a second advantage of the Wise card is that you can use it as a Visa card on websites such as booking.com.
Another advantage is that you can block the card at anytime using the app on your phone should you lose it - and unblock it again, when you find it 19 minutes later!
In short, great choice.

Carry a credit card (separately, with the bulk of your cash) as a backup ( and to make it easy to transfer funds across - takes seconds) and your sorted!
Please excuse me if I'm teaching you to suck egg's, sometimes I get a little carried away......

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I echo Nick (@jungleboy ) on this. I've used mine on both the Primitivo and the Inglès this year, anywhere they accepted cards. As do numerous other pilgrims on the forum - it's come up in several other threads.
Following the number of posts I've read about carrying cash on this forum, I was actually surprised at how little I used. ( I think around €200 in two weeks, and that included giving my share of a meal etc to others so they could pay with card). I started off with €350, I never carry more.
There will always be places that only accept cash ( although, for any purchase over €30 they are obliged BY LAW to offer alternatives - card, direct credit). Plus those that set a minimum limit - often €10, occasionally €30. - for the reason above.
As the Wise card functions predominantly as a debit card, the cost to the retailer is very low, unlike a credit card. But, of course, a second advantage of the Wise card is that you can use it as a Visa card on websites such as booking.com.
Another advantage is that you can block the card at anytime using the app on your phone should you lose it - and unblock it again, when you find it 19 minutes later!
In short, great choice.

Carry a credit card (separately, with the bulk of your cash) as a backup ( and to make it easy to transfer funds across - takes seconds) and your sorted!
Please excuse me if I'm teaching you to suck egg's, sometimes I get a little carried away......
Thank you mate!

The Wise card is a card like any other. If cards are accepted at a certain establishment, there’s no reason why a Wise card in particular would not be. I use Wise for all my card transactions in Spain.

That said, there are places along the camino that don’t accept cards, so it is ‘wise’ to have cash on you.
Thank you, I will carry some money with me, just want to make sure about my options!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In short, great choice.

Thanku. I see these cards advertised all the time on Facebook and wondered if they are worth the bother but after the horrendous bank charges this year in Spain and Portugal by using my eftpos and credit cards I'll look into getting one for next year.

Hi, I thought I would post this question here:

Is a Wise card linked to Visa or MC? Or is it only a debit card? And do you think it’s worth having one on the CF? Thank you

Is a Wise card linked to Visa or MC? Or is it only a debit card? And do you think it’s worth having one on the CF? Thank you
The Wise card comes with the app (if you request one) and it is a debit card and functions as a credit card as well. Wise is well-accepted in all of Europe as detailed by @Peterexpatkiwi . The card is MC.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for your quick response.

Is it worth getting? I understand that it offers cheaper foreign transaction fees than other cards? Any other advantages?

Is it worth getting? I understand that it offers cheaper foreign transaction fees than other cards? Any other advantages?
From what I've read, it's well worth it. At least here in Brazil, the rates on purchases abroad are much lower (from 6.5% to 1.1%), and the exchange rate is also lower.

Yes, definitely. For security alone if nothing else. As I posted above, it’s extremely easy to load, and you can block it/ unblock it at will. Unless making a major purchase, I only ever have around €500 at most on the card. If I need more, I load it up using the Wise app directly from my credit card. It takes less than a minute. It also counts as a purchase, not a cash advance, and it’s charged in the country of origin (home) not Spain, so no costly fees.
I use it predominantly as a debit card, so zero fees. And when used online as a credit card you also don’t pay fees. You get two free cash withdrawals a month, after that you pay. But I’ve never needed to- because I predominantly pay with the card.
Also, as you mention the exchange rate has always been very competitive.
Incidentally, mine is linked to Visa, not Mastercard. Perhaps that varies depending on where you buy it?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey guys! Do you know the Wise card/app (https://wise.com/) is acceptable along the Camiño?

Best regards,
Diogo
I did the Norte in July with my Wise card (and my husband ;-) and it was great. Not sure if it's been mentioned above but highly recommend only getting cash out from an ATM machine at a bank during working hours. That way if something goes wrong with the transaction, you are able to approach the bank directly and hopefully won't be stranded somewhere waiting for the bank to open to retrieve your card. Buen camino.

My first Wise card was Mastercard but my new one (which arrived last month) and my digital one are Visa, so I guess they switched.

I love Wise and I definitely think it's worth having. If you're coming from outside the euro zone, you can open a balance in euros in your Wise account, transfer into that instantly from your main currency at a good rate, and then you don't have to pay conversion fees every time you use the card while in Europe.

. If you're coming from outside the euro zone, you can open a balance in euros in your Wise account, transfer into that instantly from your main currency at a good rate, and then you don't have to pay conversion fees every time you use the card while in Europe.
Thanks Nick, it's just become second nature, I forgot to mention that part!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey guys! Do you know the Wise card/app (https://wise.com/) is acceptable along the Camiño?

Best regards,
Diogo
I used it exclusively as my debit card of choice during my three months in Spain that (unfortunately) just ended. I even used it on busses in Valladolid and Valencia.

No issues, worked perfectly and I had (almost) complete control of how and when I converted my NZD to Euro.

My only issue, that was nothing to do with Wise, was when a busy restaurant chose (for me and without my permission) for my meal to be paid for in NZD rather than Euros. 😩

The Wise card is a card like any other. If cards are accepted at a certain establishment, there’s no reason why a Wise card in particular would not be.
So it would seem. But ask anyone with an American Express, or even more so, a Diner's Club card whether all cards are equal. I think it was a reasonable question.

It looks like it is connected to widely accepted networks (VISA, MC, and presumably the Plus or Cirrus networks for debit). But perhaps OP wasn't aware of that.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My first Wise card was Mastercard but my new one (which arrived last month) and my digital one are Visa, so I guess they switched.

I love Wise and I definitely think it's worth having. If you're coming from outside the euro zone, you can open a balance in euros in your Wise account, transfer into that instantly from your main currency at a good rate, and then you don't have to pay conversion fees every time you use the card while in Europe.
Very much agree. And both the website and app are excellent and easy to use. I have never had a problem with my card either withdrawing at ATMs or using as a VISA card to pay for purchases. You can have multiple currencies on the same account.

It’s also excellent for transferring money overseas, i.e. to ‘other currency’ accounts, where traditional bank fees can be very high 😎

I don't think that it technically functions as a credit card - you can only spend what's in your account.
You are correct here, It is a debit card. What happened in my case using it was it deducted the charged amount in my other currency. I have multiple currency with Wise btw.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You are correct here, It is a debit card. What happened in my case using it was it deducted the charged amount in my other currency. I have multiple currency with Wise btw.
That’s odd, because the restaurant can’t access that function. On the Wise website it says that the card automatically deducts the funds from the appropriate account - unless you have insufficient funds, in which case as I understand it, the funds will be deduct from an alternative account.
I, too have multiple currencies, the only time that happened was when I had insufficient euros, so it deducted the funds from my Norwegian account. With appropriate exchange rate etc

Yes @Peterexpatkiwi , if the debit card has insufficient funds in one currency, in my case its CHF (my main currency) and I use the debit card in EUR, it will deduct the amount to my main currency if funds get low under my EUR account.
I have never looked at the Wise card (I am UK card holder who doesn’t pay ATM fees or fees from my bank) for EU transactions, but interested that folks from NO/DE/CH are using Wise in EU countries. Am I missing out? I tend to be a card customer rather than cash.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have never looked at the Wise card (I am UK card holder who doesn’t pay ATM fees or fees from my bank) for EU transactions, but interested that folks from NO/DE/CH are using Wise in EU countries. Am I missing out? I tend to be a card customer rather than cash.
I normally use my Wise app or card whenever I cross the border, rate have been exceptionally good for the past 2 years using Wise.

I'm based in Germany, with a German bank account (so euro, also no ATM fees,) originally got the card for ease of use in Norway. Then realised how useful it was, and carry/ use it for reasons of security as detailed above. As there's only ever a few hundred in it, that's all a potential scammer / thief can access ! I've actually used it at home to purchase things from online websites.
My teenage son has also borrowed it a couple of times ( trip's to Norway and England) , gave both of us an added feeling of security - if the s**t hit the fan, I could almost instantly send him fund's, he could then take a Taxi,/book flights/hotel etc as required.
I always have to remember to get it back! I'm quite looking forward to him turning 18 so I can get him his own. Not as much as he is though - at the moment I know within seconds when he's ordered takeaways, because the app sends me a notification,!
The first time I messaged him with 'Guten Appetit' shortly after he'd ordered he was more than a little bemused.....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.