• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wise Pilgrim or Buen Camino or both?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You don't need both. You don't need either, if it comes to that. Many people successfully walk without. I like to have an app with me, and I like to have both so that I can check each against the other. Sometimes the information is different. Sometimes some information will be in one and not the other. They are sufficiently cheap that it isn't a hardship to pay for both (especially in the context of what my Camino is costing me and what they provide) and they are both weightless. But you certainly don't need both.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well you could just leave your “device” at home. The way is well marked. The people who live along it are proud of their heritage and know what’s worth seeing ( as do the staff of the Turismos). Even for accommodation your host on one night can likely point you to the next place to stay. For most of the years I’ve travelled in Spain and on Camino there was no such thing as a device. Never got lost or slept in a ditch- except occasionally 😉

Out of curiosity, which route?

I primarily used Buen Camino on the Primitivo, since I have a distressing habit of getting lost while leaving towns. But when I ran into troubles finding places to stay, Wise Pilgrim was a good backup.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had Buen Camino and primarily used it to get out from a given albergue on that morning.
One going it is somewhat hard to completely get lost...
You can download either (I wouldn't do both) for your own sake of the mind

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You don't need both. You don't need either, if it comes to that. Many people successfully walk without. I like to have an app with me, and I like to have both so that I can check each against the other. Sometimes the information is different. Sometimes some information will be in one and not the other. They are sufficiently cheap that it isn't a hardship to pay for both (especially in the context of what my Camino is costing me and what they provide) and they are both weightless. But you certainly don't need both.
Buen Camino app is free.
They do ask for and one should send a donation as they do provide a great service and have the most number of Caminos. I have both and use Gronze. Mostly because I walk less traveled routes and late in the year. As you said, no one source has all the information a pilgrim may need in terms of albergues. So while I walk I can see what albergues may be available and whether I need to call ahead to see if it is open. Also Gronze does a great job (I am sure you well know), if you need to call a day or two ahead for an albergue to open or where you need to go to get a key to open an albérgue.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The other day I posted about the WhatsApp message maker feature on Wise Pilgrim that you can use to contact albergues. Here's that post with instructions on how to use it:

The Wise Pilgrim app has a feature that will compose a message for you in Spanish (or Portuguese or French, depending on the route), that makes it really easy.

You just long press on WhatsApp number.

View attachment 165850

Then you choose the date, number of people, and type of accommodation you are inquiring about.

View attachment 165851

And the message is created for you.

At this point I save the number to my contacts.

View attachment 165852

Which is really easy because all the information is already filled out.

View attachment 165853

Buen Camino app is free.
They do ask for and one should send a donation as they do provide a great service and have the most number of Caminos. I do have both and use Gronze. Mostly because I walk less traveled routes and late in the year. As you said, no one source has all the information a pilgrim may need in terms of albergues. So while I walk I can see what albergues may be available and whether I need to call ahead to see if it is open. Also Gronze does a great job (I am sure you well know), if you need to call a day or two ahead for an albergue to open or where you need to go to get a key to open an albérgue.
You are absolutely correct. My memory was that the app was free but you needed to pay to download the routes (they just gave you a sample for free). But I went and checked and either that is no longer the case or it never was and my memory was wrong (it wouldn't be the first time).

Last edited:
I hardly ever look at them but my device has all the applicable apps. Cost little and weigh nothing. I also carry the smallest and lightest paper guide book, but only the pages of the route I will walk. I just recently added mapy.cz and found it useful in walking through cities. Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You are absolutely correct. My memory was that the app was free but you needed to pay to download the routes (they just gave you a sample for free). But I went and checked and either that is no longer the case or it never was and my memory was wrong (it wouldn't be the first time).
You are correct. Originally the Buen Camino app came with the Baztan route installed as a sample, and then you had to pay for each route.

A few years ago they went with the donativo model, and I encourage everyone who uses it to donate to support the developer. When I've had issues with the app I have contacted the developer via WhatsApp, and he was very responsive.

@wisepilgrim is equally responsive, and you can contact him via this forum.

Memory fading wouldn't be the first time for me either!

The other day I posted about the WhatsApp message maker feature on Wise Pilgrim that you can use to contact albergues. Here's that post with instructions on how to use it:
Wise Pilgrim of course!

Thanks for this. I missed this feature that was added. I wanted to check it out as walking late in the year I often contact albergues just to make sure they are open. WIll be walking the third leg of my camino this year on the coastal Portugues route. I found the link on Wise Pilgrim and it took me to my whatsapp app. So that definitely makes things easier. I always stay in albergues unless there is none where I want to stop for the day. I have an Iphone and did not see where I had the ability to use the feature of making a reservation. I can see that you use an Android telephone.
Can you or if @wisepilgrim see this can you tell me if this feature is available for IPhones? If it is what am I doing wrong? Thank you @wisepilgrim for adding this great feature to your app.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It is absolutely available on iPhones. The albergues have 3 entries for phone numbers: landline, mobile, and WhatsApp. On most but not all occasions the last two are the same, and having a mobile does not guarantee that WhatsApp works, but if it is in the app it has been tested to work in the last 6 months.

Tapping on the WhatsApp number opens WhatsApp. Long pressing on the WhatsApp number opens the helper… which then opens WhatsApp.

Wise Pilgrim great app easy to use!
Thank you, this is the one I plan to use starting my Portuguese from Lisbon next Sunday. Mid April, a friend will join me in Porto and she'll be using Wise Pilgrim ... we shall be able to compare. Buen Camino

Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
Two SJPDP to Santiago, 2013 and 2023, 30+ days each. Pilgrim's that weren't using apps seem to be doing well. Encountered a handful of pilgrims that felt lost and they were all dependent on apps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Buen Camino app is free.
They do ask for and one should send a donation as they do provide a great service and have the most number of Caminos.
As I mentioned above I will be using BC and as per your suggestion, I will donate

Two SJPDP to Santiago, 2013 and 2023, 30+ days each. Pilgrim's that weren't using apps seem to be doing well. Encountered a handful of pilgrims that felt lost and they were all dependent on apps.
I did the Frances in September 2022 with no apps, only armed with Brierly guide book and materials given to me by the Pilgrims Office in SJPDP and did fine -- this Camino has very good infrastructure, it is well marked and it's nearly impossible to get lost.

Thank you, this is the one I plan to use starting my Portuguese from Lisbon next Sunday. Mid April, a friend will join me in Porto and she'll be using Wise Pilgrim ... we shall be able to compare. Buen Camino
Hi AidaYYc!
I used Wise Pilgrim for( my Portuguese Coastal, Senda Littoral from Porto and on the Frances from Leon to Muxia September 23. Simple layout (for simple me;plus my assistive tech works with it without issue)
Will use it again from SJPP in May! Got me sorted more than once :)
Have a wonderful walk
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I did the Frances in September 2022 with no apps, only armed with Brierly guide book and materials given to me by the Pilgrims Office in SJPDP and did fine -- this Camino has very good infrastructure, it is well marked and it's nearly impossible to get lost.
A lot of people seem to think that a Camino app is some alternate way of experiencing the Camino.

It is really just an electronic version of a guidebook. Almost everybody carries a guidebook, or did at one time. Most apps are just the same, with more or less content and more practical maps.

I hardly ever look at them but my device has all the applicable apps. Cost little and weigh nothing. I also carry the smallest and lightest paper guide book, but only the pages of the route I will walk. I just recently added mapy.cz and found it useful in walking through cities. Buen Camino
I have both Buen Camino and Wisepilgrim app along with google maps. Also use Gronze at the start of each day to decide if there are any variants that day I want to walk and were they start. Its not like it takes a long time to look at an app.

Let’s throw something else into the pile. I use Camino Ninja and Gronze. While I have other Camino apps on my phone this combination suits my particular skill set and visual preferences.
As mentioned they are all really just different versions of guidebooks.
Use the one that seems / feels the most user friendly to you.
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I suppose it depends on which Camino you are walking. I found it necessary on the Camino Portuguese as signage can be spotty.. although a guidebook would work too. If you’re walking the Camino Frances, you won’t need an app at all.

I have been using Wise Pilgrim for various Caminos since 2018, but on del Norte last fall, it was very lacking on accurate info regarding variants, and not up to date on newer reroutes. About 1/2 way through I downloaded Buen Camino, and found it to be a very welcomed supplement.

I have been using Wise Pilgrim for various Caminos since 2018, but on del Norte last fall, it was very lacking on accurate info regarding variants, and not up to date on newer reroutes. About 1/2 way through I downloaded Buen Camino, and found it to be a very welcomed supplement.
A bit late for your camino last fall, but for anyone coming up behind you I can say that the Norte app has been updated (it is trudging its way through the approval process) with 123km worth of alternative routes today. They are mostly road/mud alternatives as all of the hiker variations were already included, save one.

It is part of the big Spring/Semana Santa push to get all of the content updated.

This is the time of year when the most last minute changes come in, and I am kicking them out the door as quickly as possible.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A bit late for your camino last fall, but for anyone coming up behind you I can say that the Norte app has been updated (it is trudging its way through the approval process) with 123km worth of alternative routes today. They are mostly road/mud alternatives as all of the hiker variations were already included, save one.

It is part of the big Spring/Semana Santa push to get all of the content updated.

This is the time of year when the most last minute changes come in, and I am kicking them out the door as quickly as possible.

Wonderful to know! I am starting the Norte in a months time, and have used your apps an all my previous ones (Frances and Portuguese). Really appreciate the work you do!

I have only used Gronze so far, but notice how Gerald of @wisepilgrim had responded to a few Sanabres questions I and others have had. I now see he is working on updates for the Norte and commenting about it. Should I add in another Camino app, it will be this one as I like his connection to the forum.

I have only used Gronze so far, but notice how Gerald of @wisepilgrim had responded to a few Sanabres questions
@wisepilgrim is Michael. Are you thinking of Gerald Kelly who has written the VdlP guide and has an app for the route?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I used Forwalk App (it's free). It is a great tool with maps, information about the different stages with markets, services and a list of accommodation. It will tell you how far off the Camino an accommodation is. You can also check reviews and book your accommodation in advance https://app.forwalk.org/2/1/en/

I used Buen Camino on the Frances and loved it. I did not book ahead so I used this in the afternoon to easily decide should I keep walking to the next town or stay where I was. The app will track you real-time and easily gives the distance to the next town and it gives a list of accommodations in that village. I would also check the satisfaction ratings and start with the best when I walked up to ask about a bed for the night. On the Coastal I used both but felt Buen Camino was my main go to. Final answer load both they weigh nothing and can help avoid frustration as the day ends.

I am currently walking the Frances and use both Wise Pilgrim and Gronze. The former has offline maps which have come in very handy for ensuring I haven’t strayed off the Camino. Gronze has been more accurate in terms of albergue hours and availability, which seems especially important in the early season. By the way, is there a way to suggest corrections in Wise Pilgrim?

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.