• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

WOOT!!!! Final Packing List - please comment!

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
WOOT!!!! 3 more sleeps!
I have attached my final packing list. Please comment as you see fit.
The only two things I question are the H2O-proof phone case (I'm inclined to keep on the list cuz the phone is so extremely important), and the pack cover. In regards to the pack cover, if there is a light rain (not enough to break out the poncho) I thought it might be more convenient.

I cannot find the words to express how grateful I am for all of the excellent advice and heartfelt support I have received on this forum! I will post back!!!
***** and away I go!

(well, shoot, I can't seem to attach the Excel file here)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yea, you need a pack cover. I didn’t bring a waterproof case for my phone but I had a dry bag I put it in when it rained.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The only two things I question are the H2O-proof phone case (I'm inclined to keep on the list cuz the phone is so extremely important), and the pack cover. In regards to the pack cover, if there is a light rain (not enough to break out the poncho) I thought it might be more convenient.
I use a waterproof phone pouch that has a cord so that I can hang it from my neck. Most phone functions can be used without removing the phone from the pouch. I'm not a poncho person, so I have a pack cover that I use. I'm not so sure I would bring that if I were using a poncho, but I can understand your thinking here.

Looks pretty good. I only question a couple of things. A cutting board? Cut on a ziplock bag maybe or buy slices or use the albergue cutting board. Also I question the food you are taking. You can find what you will need in country so unless you are thinking you'll eat this enroute to your start point i might not carry it.

You will usually get some small water bottles on the plane so consider for that CF that you only need a smaller 500 ml bottle as there are only a few places where you'll go any distance for water. Just add a bottle you buy for that day.

Are you flying internationally? I noticed you had a pocket knife. I don't think you can carry that on the plane. Your walking sticks might not be able to carry on. I know from the US trekking poles need to be checked. We take ours but check one of our backpacks.

I noticed you say a cutting board. I am not sure if that is necessary. You could cut cheese or other items at the place you are staying at. I see you have a beanie, do you have a hat you are taking? Maybe I missed it on your list.

I didn't take gaiters, but that is a personal preference.

Buen Camino!

If you are taking a waist bag, why the cross body bag? What is the extra strap for a water bottle? Doesn't your pack have pockets for those?
Are you wearing toe socks or liners? Usually people wear one or the other, not sure how to wear both of them. Rather than those super expensive silk liners, I wear nylons, that cost a fraction of the price and do the exact same thing.
If you are taking a sleeping bag, you don't need a liner. It will be getting cold soon, so keep the sleeping bag. If it is raining hard enough to put a cover on your pack it is raining hard enough to want to wear a poncho. When it slacks off, the poncho hangs off of your pack, where it can dry or be really handy to slip back on. Had so many days where that was the case, on, off, on, off, etc. Glad I had it instead of a rain coat and cover.
Have never needed a cutting board or knife. I just graze all day long from the cafes and bars so I can use their WC.
Have fun. You will leave behind what you find out you don't need within a few days.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm just curious - how do you wear liner socks with toe socks?
I am bringing 2 prs of toe socks that are very thin merino and 1 pr that is thicker. The Liner socks do not fit over the thicker pair, but they slide right over the thin ones. The liner socks are the silk ones that you can buy at REI.

I take 2 pair of liners and 3 pairs of Darn Tough (2) full cushion and 1 medium cushion. I got my silk liners at REI.
I take a sleep liner not a quilt/blanket.

I am bringing 2 prs of toe socks that are very thin merino and 1 pr that is thicker. The Liner socks do not fit over the thicker pair, but they slide right over the thin ones. The liner socks are the silk ones that you can buy at REI.
Okay, so you are wearing the toe socks as liner socks and the liner socks as over socks.😊

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I decided after my walk today that my pack is too heavy. A few more things need to go.
I also have a dilemma regarding necessary medications - I think I'll start a new thread about the issue.

I might ditch the sari- even though very useful it is heavy. I wish it was a little smaller - it wraps around me almost twice, so it's larger than what is needed. If I did away with the sari and the pack cover and carried only 500ml of H2O, it cuts 500gms + 70gms + 173gms = 743gms --- almost a pound. Oh forgot to add in the cutting board.

"If you are taking a waist bag, why the cross body bag? What is the extra strap for a water bottle? Doesn't your pack have pockets for those?"
----The crossbody bag is awkward to carry when also wearing a backpack for sure. The problem it solves is the need have something in which to carry "daily walking stuff" if I need bag transport (which I have already reserved through to Roncevalles). I'm still not happy with the way I'm managing this issue.
----No xtra strap for H20 bottle, its a pouch that attaches to the shoulder strap. Easier to get water in & out. Pack pockets are hard to reach with pack on back!

OK- ditching the cutting board.
Keeping the H2O proof phone case
Ditching the pack cover
Will buy pocket knife and walking sticks in Pamplona so no worries re flights
500ml of H2O rather than 1000ml (there will be exceptions, of course)

I bought a really light bag at one of the China stores and used that to transport my stuff, so I could wear my pack. The hip belt on your pack will take the weight off of your shoulders and back. Keep your meds with you, water, poncho, 1st aid. Send your other stuff ahead if you like.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you are sending your pack forward maybe get a packable backpack. We have a small Columbia one (20L). It's small, packable and light weight. Might be an option or like Jodean mentioned a light bag

I am just curious: I understand that you bring 2 Credit Card, and 1 Debit Card ?
Take care that they can be lost or stolen: why do not take 1 Credit Card and register another in your phone, in order to be able to pay contactless with it ?

I bought a really light bag at one of the China stores and used that to transport my stuff, so I could wear my pack. The hip belt on your pack will take the weight off of your shoulders and back. Keep your meds with you, water, poncho, 1st aid. Send your other stuff ahead if you like.
I had not thought of that. Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you are sending your pack forward maybe get a packable backpack. We have a small Columbia one (20L). It's small, packable and light weight. Might be an option or like Jodean mentioned a light bag
How lightweight is it? I have a small Matador but it weighs 170gms. I was hoping for something lighter.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How lightweight is it? I have a small Matador but it weighs 170gms. I was hoping for something lighter.
You could off-load a lot of weight into this 20 liter dry bag that weighs 50 grams and send it forward.

The 30 liter size weighs 60 grams.

Then wear your well fitted backpack with hip belt.

Last edited:
You could off-load a lot of weight into this 20 liter dry bag that weigh 50 grams and send it forward.

The 30 liter size weighs 60 grams.

Then wear your well fitted backpack with hip belt.
Great idea! It wont arrive at me house before I leave but I'll get one in Spain or France.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
WOOT!!!! 3 more sleeps!
I have attached my final packing list. Please comment as you see fit.

I cannot find the words to express how grateful I am for all of the excellent advice and heartfelt support I have received on this forum! I will post back!!!
***** and away I go!

(well, shoot, I can't seem to attach the Excel file here)
It really seems like a lot. Have you walked several hours with your pack fully full to see how the weight feels? You really feel the heavy pack on your feet! Most everything is available at shops on the way. You really can buy anything you need as you go.

I decided after my walk today that my pack is too heavy. A few more things need to go.
I also have a dilemma regarding necessary medications - I think I'll start a new thread about the issue.

I might ditch the sari- even though very useful it is heavy. I wish it was a little smaller - it wraps around me almost twice, so it's larger than what is needed. If I did away with the sari and the pack cover and carried only 500ml of H2O, it cuts 500gms + 70gms + 173gms = 743gms --- almost a pound. Oh forgot to add in the cutting board.

"If you are taking a waist bag, why the cross body bag? What is the extra strap for a water bottle? Doesn't your pack have pockets for those?"
----The crossbody bag is awkward to carry when also wearing a backpack for sure. The problem it solves is the need have something in which to carry "daily walking stuff" if I need bag transport (which I have already reserved through to Roncevalles). I'm still not happy with the way I'm managing this issue.
----No xtra strap for H20 bottle, its a pouch that attaches to the shoulder strap. Easier to get water in & out. Pack pockets are hard to reach with pack on back!

OK- ditching the cutting board.
Keeping the H2O proof phone case
Ditching the pack cover
Will buy pocket knife and walking sticks in Pamplona so no worries re flights
500ml of H2O rather than 1000ml (there will be exceptions, of course)
I use 1 liter camel pac water bottle with a long tube like one used with water bladder but because it sits in the pouch on side of pack it's easier to keep eye on water left and with tube I can suck it up as needed and not get bottle in and out of pouch all the time.

Ok, you really got me wondering on this one. Liner socks are specifically designed as a base layer not an outer layer. The whole point of liner socks is to minimise friction and wick away sweat. Which, in turn, helps prevent blisters. They can't do that if you're wearing them as an outside layer. Also if they're in direct contact with your shoes I suspect that they may wear rather quickly.
As to your overall base weight I think you've done really well, even with the pack cover, the pocket knife and the chopping board included!
I personally leave my pack cover on because when it's just drizzling lightly I prefer to guarantee that my pack will stay dry. Plus it's great as a visual aid for drivers behind me on any road stretches, but I accept that it's not necessary. It's often too warm to wear my poncho in very light drizzle and my Merino more than copes with it.
I also carry a chopping board and a knife however my chopping board is only 28 grams. Goodness only knows where I got it I've had it for many years. I used to always carry my Swiss Army knife however for camino I simply buy a sharp knife at the first supermarket I come to - saves me having to check my bag. I find it extremely useful however it is certainly not essential.

I hope you're going to be as prolific posting about your journey as you have been about the preparation!!
I have to say it's been kind of interesting....

Keep the pack cover. It's been raining around 3 days out of 4 a late and the weather shows no indication of it improving. Right now it's drizzling in Ourense. Yesterday morning it rained in Sarria and a few days back we had cloud burst level thunderstorms. Also be aware the nights are getting cooler and not all albergue have blankets. Ensure your sleeping arrangements meet the needs of warmth.

I saw your comment on nylons for liners… You recommend that? I leave in a few days and still sorting the last of my gear… thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, I have been wearing knee high nylons for all 5 of my Caminos, along with what ever socks you like. I turn the nylons and the socks inside out so that the seams do not rub. So far, have been blister free and I don't have to attempt to hand wash vaseline out of my socks each night. Nylons are cheap and easy to wash.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.