• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Work Commitments

christy p

Time of past OR future Camino
camino france april (2013)
Hi, I'll be starting the Camino France on Saturday 30th March, I have less then 4 weeks to complete the walk to Santiago. I was thnking of doubling up on some of the walks yet trying to see as much as I can, I want to see all of the larger towns. Which sections should I try to double the milage :?:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Depending on your level of physical fitness, you may be better off taking a bus or tax on certain stretches rather than doubling up the distance. The doubling idea can lead to stress injuries, such as tendonitis, even if you are doing well on the regular distances.

Flat parts, such as the meseta, Burgos to Leon, are most suitable for walking longer distances and days.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Daylights hours in March are limited and doubling up would mean leaving early in the dark and walking at the end of the day in the dark. If you plan to also do sightseeing then you will have to take days off as you will not arrive on time to the bigger cities to do the sightseeing proper (winter closing times). In a synopsis, your plan to walk the Camino Frances in march in less than 4 weeks with sightseeing the bigger cities included needs to be recalibrated.

I would start in Pamplona and take the bus Burgos-Leon....

Or you could just start and walk to wherever you reach in your time frame and pick the Camino up again from the point next year. In my experience putting yourself under "time pressure" is really not fun and affects the whole experience negatively. As for starting point, in the "good old times" all pilgrims started before there own door and walked also back to it. Today that is different, few people have the possibility to do so, so ANY other starting point is a compromise. Which gives you the freedom to start from wherever you want and how your time allows, SY

Or you could just start and walk to wherever you reach in your time frame and pick the Camino up again from the point next year

If you do that, does it still count for completion and the certificate? In otherwords, can you complete the camino legally without doing it in one walk?

Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If you want to get your compostela , you have to walk the last 100 km ie from Sarria. But if you just want to walk it in your own time and in stages that fit in with your time frame then you can do that too, and not get the compostela until you complete the camino at a later date. :D
Buen camino

You have to resume where you stopped (in the last 100 km), and show it by stamps. You do not have to do the last 100 km all in the same walk.

When I first planned on doing the Camino I quickly realised I wouldn't be able to take enough time off work to do all 33 stages plus a day to travel over and a day to travel home. The most I could realistically take was about two weeks. I then wasn't sure where to start or if I should skip sections so I could make it to Santiago or if I should start close enough to Santiago so I could walk there in the time I had. I even thought about cycling. In the end I decided to start in SJPDP and walk for 15 days which got me as far as Fromista where I finished walking. From there I could get the train to Santander and fly home. That was last year.

Today I booked my flights to return and complete my Camino. Taking the opposite journey I fly back to Santander, will take the train back to Fromista to pick up where I left off and walk the rest of the way to Santiago where I will fly home from.

Although I wasn't too happy to be leaving halfway last year I think walking the Camino over two years like I'm doing will work out pretty well.

This might be worth considering.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you fortview, nc6000 and falcon269. Now I understand. I would love to do the whole thing, but I doubt I'll ever have that much time. Only The Lord knows. As long as I can eventually get the compostella, I'll be happy. Anyway, thank you for the help!!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back