• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wrong focus?

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
I am sitting here, reflecting upon my upcoming Camino, thinking:

I see so many posts here about equipment issues, foot trouble, bed hunting, bed bugs (I never saw any) etc., and I am wondering if many people have the wrong focus? "This world" problems, instead of spiritual experience and personal reflections on "deeper issues"? I understand time/money issues, but really: Isn't it all about getting going, and see where it leads you?

If time/money is your issue, then divide the walk into sections, or?
If not, just get going? (I am fortunately in this category).

In either case, you will receive many "things". The Camino is not a dangerous place: On the contrary.

Also, the fear of throwing oneself into the unknown: I can understand the fear to some extent, but: If you continue to do the same as you've always done, you will receive the same you have always received. If you are happy with what you receive today, stay at home, perhaps? If not, search for something new. The Camino is probably the best place to find it... And here, I mean mind/mindset, and ideas for new directions in life.

This is just a night's reflections (I am on the "right" (European) side of the Atlantic ;) ), thinking over my plans for my next Camino (may buy us a beer in Moratinos, Rebekah ;) )

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Alex
I catch your drift. I'd just say that I think it's natural to get into all those practical issues and concerns before your first camino adventure. If you get most of those things sorted you'll probably undergo less hassle and be able to focus more on the things that matter.
It's a different story if you return and your obsession becomes getting better boots, rucksack, tablet, bug destroyer etc. But I think that's rare here and different from just sharing one's experiences of what worked for each of us.

PS I finally got round to watching the film 'Within the Way Without' (which was the subject of a thread in 2007 I see
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/within-the-way-without.3364/ )
It's an unusual style of film but it gets the camino in all its weird and wonderful ways. It took my head and heart right back to where and when I was seeing the world so differently at the end of my first camino in 2008. I'd recommend it as a kind of battery recharger to anyone who feels they may have drifted a bit too far away from those first special times.

I have to agree with you, Tom. The fears are real because people are moving out of their comfort zones, and are a bit scared, about a lot of things. Having said that, more experienced people know that as soon as you are on your Way, things are sorting out (after all, you have managed to get there, you're walking, you find new friends, days go by, and life is so much easier than you feared, and you sort of laugh about your worries, as life is good).

Still, I wonder: Why do people want to walk the Way? If it is for sports/fun/holiday: Fine! It will be a great trip. And cheap. If you have more subtle reasons, it will be very rewarding. And remember: "No pain, no gain". And of course: You do not normally walk 800 kms without some physical challenges, perhaps... But that is only about your bodily functions: Stop and heal. Then continue. But I am not a hardliner here: Each to his/her own. I just want to point out that walking the Camino is not as problematic as many want it to be. Go on (Ultreia!) and life will be good. Very good. And the Spanish people and environment is very friendly to you. Just remember to say "Thank you" (Gracias) on your way and learn a few Spanish phrases: It will do you very good.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Alex, you always have a very positive attitude which I appreciate. You also have a spiritual nature which I admire; thank you for all that you bring to this forum.

As a child I often heard the phrase, "Moderation in all things". By this I came to appreciate the value of finding balance in one's life. Some of us are at the very beginning of our Camino; we feel the call to go, but are ignorant of what it means, how to do it, what will be required, the "how" of it? Others of us are waking up and taking our first step on the trail itself and filled with a storm of emotions and thoughts. Still others of us are midway through; we have our legs and feel in fine form, have met great people, been disappointed with one thing or another, and yet found great joy along the Way. Others have caught sight of the Cathedral for the first time or are even entering the plaza and kneeling in gratitude for all that they have experienced, felt, seen, heard, and enjoyed. Still others sit at home with warm hearts reminiscing about their Way with visions fanned and animated by the continuing call of the Camino.

We each are at our own place along life's journey. Some of us are prepared and ready for the spiritual gifts offered us while others are at a different place that is equally good for that individual. Let us not begrudge the place of others, but be ready to extend a hand to support those behind us and humble enough to reach out to grasp the hand offered from those ahead of us.

There is an art to accepting ourselves for who and what we are while always maintaining a desire to take another step forward. It is true that we will fall, get scrapped up and battered by all of life's trials, but it is the desire to get up, to step out in faith, and know that we each have a place in this great world; we are each needed and wanted; we are each appreciated and loved beyond measure. This knowledge, this awareness is there for each that is willing to open their heart to Him who has always been there. He waits at the door of our souls and knocks, patiently waiting for us to open the door to our hearts and invite him in.

Yes, for those who fear, we all encourage them to overcome this anxiety and just go. Never stop taking a step forward and you will know the joy of having fought the good fight and finished the race. In that day all pilgrims will embrace you as the Master's voice rings out, "Well done, you good and faithful servant".

Last edited:

I see so many posts here about equipment issues, foot trouble, bed hunting, bed bugs (I never saw any) etc., and I am wondering if many people have the wrong focus? "This world" problems, instead of spiritual experience and personal reflections on "deeper issues"? I understand time/money issues, but really: Isn't it all about getting going, and see where it leads you?

In either case, you will receive many "things". The Camino is not a dangerous place: On the contrary.

Also, the fear of throwing oneself into the unknown: I can understand the fear to some extent, but: If you continue to do the same as you've always done, you will receive the same you have always received. If you are happy with what you receive today, stay at home, perhaps? If not, search for something new. The Camino is probably the best place to find it... And here, I mean mind/mindset, and ideas for new directions in life.

This is just a night's reflections (I am on the "right" (European) side of the Atlantic ;) ), thinking over my plans for my next Camino (may buy us a beer in Moratinos, Rebekah ;) )
From Jenny, on the WRONG side of the Atlantic: Right on Alex! Too much stress and worry about the how and wherefores and not enough emphasis on WHY.

As someone walking the Camino for the first time in sept 2014, talking about the logistics gives me something to do now. I'm so excited about the actual experience, both physical and spiritual, that planning my pack is actually fun! And it's something I have total control of. When I walk the Camino, I will have no control, rather I will be going with the flow, taking what comes my way and being open to anything and everything. So maybe that's why so many of us want to talk shoes, packs and socks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Alex, you always have a very positive attitude which I appreciate. You also have a spiritual nature of which I admire; thank you for all that you bring to this forum.
I am humbled, my friend. Thank you so much. I only try. It's my nature, I guess. And having brought children (and a granddaughter) into this world, for whom I wish all the best, gives me a broader perspective, I suppose. I guess it leaks over to the rest of mankind, hopefully :)

"Some of us are at the very beginning of our own Camino; we feel the call to go, but are ignorant of what it means, how to do it, what will be required, the "how" of it.
Indeed. There is a BIG correlation between our own caminos in life and The Camino. I have come to hold the full respect of The Camino as something that is actually real and powerful. In a spiritual matter, and I am quite sure you know what I mean,:cool: For me, at least, I came out at the other end as a different human being. And it was all good and for the better.

Last edited:
When I walk the Camino, I will have no control, rather I will be going with the flow, taking what comes my way and being open to anything and everything.
Judging by your attitude, you will have the walk of your lifetime. I suspect you will return home and become one of the disciples on this forum! :) And that is good, for you as well as for the forum,:D

Last edited:
I was worried until yesterday - until I got the go ahead - I will be walking again in May! Now I am calm and letting go already and cannot wait for this wonderful experience.
I am ready to go with the flow!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Experience of the unknown turns it into the known. For many people the Camino may be a huge uncertainty and the more you hammer down the "trivial" unknowns the more in control of it you feel. Everyone was new to it at one point.

I'm a great believer in just doing it, I'm naturally adventurous but a lot of the people I met had never walked anywhere. I can empathise with their worries and I also know for many (me included) the uncertainty of the Camino itself was a massive metaphor for the uncertainties of life we faced at the time of walking. I hope for most the mundane questions are simply a way of reducing the number of things that "need" to be worried about to leave room for the more important stuff.

To paraphrase Churchill, very few things are fatal.

A bit of planning always helps, but overthinking almost always ruins an adventure. It's sensible to have direction, and make plans, but overthinking and worry can become an obsession, and IMO, is about control. We can't know everything. We can't anticipate everything. We can't determine every outcome. Once we realize control is an illlusion, we can let go of the illusion, relax and enjoy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree. I see people getting high centered on issues that are minor distractions at best. The reality is that there is very little you can do to prepare for the Camino other than get a properly fitted for boots and a backpack and break in the boots. Some of my best memories of the Camino are things that occurred out of my control. For example, when I arrived in Hornillos del Camino I found out there were no more beds in town. Instead of getting high centered over the issue, I sat down on the bench just outside of the bodega and waited for the Camino to provide. Within a few minutes, the woman who runs the Bodega told me that I could get a room at a nearby rural Casa. I smiled at her, and she phoned the proprietors. Within ten minutes I was being driven to "El Molino" a gorgeous rural casa that plays a cameo role in the movie The Way. I met three pilgrims there from Hawaii who turned out to be some of my favorite people on the Camino. If you have faith, the Camino will provide.

Last edited:
As someone walking the Camino for the first time in sept 2014, talking about the logistics gives me something to do now. I'm so excited about the actual experience, both physical and spiritual, that planning my pack is actually fun! And it's something I have total control of. When I walk the Camino, I will have no control, rather I will be going with the flow, taking what comes my way and being open to anything and everything. So maybe that's why so many of us want to talk shoes, packs and socks!

Get properly fitted for your backpack, get properly fitted for your boots, break in the boots, throw a change of clothes and your toothbrush into your backpack and go. The Camino will provide anything else you need, but didn't bring.

Last edited:
Get properly fitted for your backpack, get properly fitted for your boots, break in the boots, throw a change of clothes and your toothbrush into your backpack and go.
You are absolutely right. Most people do not know. It is much easier than one thinks. It is also funny that people think they need to bring everything with them...
The Camino will provide anything you need but didn't bring.
There are very good shops in Spain, actually (! :)), where you can buy all you need/forgot, and for a better price... Also, some of your newfound Camino friends will provide. Having said that, many people find that they brought with them too much, and must throw some stuff away...

Last edited:
I agree. I see people getting high centered on issues that are minor distractions at best. The reality is that there is very little you can do to prepare for the Camino other than get a properly fitted for boots and a backpack and break in the boots. Some of my best memories of the Camino are things that occurred out of my control. For example, when I arrived in Hornillos del Camino I found out there were no more beds in town. Instead of getting high centered over the issue, I sat down on the bench just outside of the bodega waited for the Camino to provide. Within a few minutes, the woman who runs the Bodega told me that I could get a room at a nearby rural Casa. I smiled at her, and she phoned the proprietors. Within ten minutes I was being driven to "El Molino" a gorgeous rural casa that plays a cameo role in the movie The Way. I met three pilgrims there from Hawaii who turned out to be some of my favorite people on the Camino. If you have faith, the Camino will provide.

Well described Robert! My anxieties melted away on the Camino, and the rewards were unplanned and unexpected. El Molino and meeting you there, as well as at O'Cebreiro and then finally at Santiago, were some highlights of the walk for me. It seemed to me that when I rolled with the experience and left the anxiety and planning behind, the experience magnified and became more significant for me.

Maybe I'm overly sensitive because of a tongue lashing I just got on the Spanish forum when I asked for information about public transportation on the Camino Olvidado, but come on people, I don't know why we need to take a side on what's the right focus or wrong focus for the forum and for people asking qustions. I am soon heading out on a Camino where there are one or two pilgrims a month, where there are no albergues, and where there are very few places to stay. I want to have some information so that if and when I need to go to Plan B, I will have the ability to do that. What I was told on the Spanish forum was that this is not the way to do a pilgrimage, that I should sleep in the church portals, and let the camino provide. I have had enough "incidents" on different Caminos involving men that I do not particularly think that's good advice for women walking alone through parts of Spain where pilgrims are not an everyday occurrence.

For those starting out on their first camino, maybe never having left their country before, even the Camino Frances might look threatening and overwhelming. I don't think we make those people feel comfortable by telling them to throw on their backpack and start to walk and forget about all the things they are worrying about or have questions about.

Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was an experienced long-distance hiker long before I encountered the Camino and this forum. I learnt much and gained more from this forum than I ever would have previously expected because it brought to me the spiritual perspective with which so many walk and post.

I was and will ever be grateful to those who helped me begin to understand the nature of Camino. OK, so lots of questions are just the uninitiated hoping for reassurance or for a bucket lists of Albergues and bars to hit on their holiday. Respond, don't respond. Our way through life is determined by our own choices. Mine got radically diverted by a choice to "do" the Camino. Ever so glad it did.

Alex, you are among the contributors who helped shift my head, and I thank you for that. Let us both keep on answering questions, whatever their focus. The Camino will change the focus of much that they do for many.

Allow me to put in a few words in support of planning.

1. I very much enjoyed the many months of planning we did for our Camino last fall (much of which consisted of reading every posting on this forum), which let me enjoy my Camino for a long time before I actually left.

2. As a result of what I think was pretty good planning, we had everything we needed (although I did wish I'd brought a 2nd sink stopper when I left mine in Orrison), didn't have anything we didn't use, had a pretty good idea of the route, and had little to worry about (other than blisters, for which we planned, prepared, and equipped ourselves, but to little avail). I feel this freed up my mind and helped let me focus on the very spiritual experience that the Camino was for us.

3. I'm currently planning my next pilgrimage for this fall (about 200 miles in the Apennines, arriving in Assisi on the Feast of St. Francis) and even my next Camino de Santiago (hope to start in Le Puy or perhaps Mont St. Michel after I retire). I am finding that planning future pilgrimages nourishes the spirit of the Camino in me.

Karl

Planning has its place. I'd have struggled a bit on the Salvador without a decent amount of planning.

On the Frances I did none, didnt even have a guide and ended up in Spain pretty much in the clothes I stood up in about 24hrs after making the decision to go.

Everyone walks different and for different reasons. Every way is the right way... for you. People go on about the authentic pilgrim experience. Did mediaeval pilgrims set out without gaining as much info as they could? I doubt it. Many arent even walking as a pilgrimage, most of the Aussies and Americans I met were just having an extended holiday (though I suspect many had deeper reasons that they werent saying).

The important thing is the point where you put one foot in front of the other. The rest is just waiting.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As someone walking the Camino for the first time in sept 2014, talking about the logistics gives me something to do now.

YES!!! This is exactly where I am right now. We will be walking in June, which is getting closer, but it isn't here yet.

I am also of the philosophy that good planning begets freedom. If the basics are reasonably well covered, then it frees the mind and the spirit. I am hoping that the pre-Camino planning (physical conditioning, research, thoughtful selection of gear) will mean that when we actually GET to the Camino, we are free to let things happen as they will.

For those starting out on their first camino, maybe never having left their country before, even the Camino Frances might look threatening and overwhelming. I don't think we make those people feel comfortable by telling them to throw on their backpack and start to walk and forget about all the things they are worrying about or have questions about.

I apologize if my comments were offensive. I was honestly trying to be supportive. The irony of the Camino is the more you try to control it, the more you lose control. It's meant to be a leap of faith. Spain in general, and the Caminos specifically, are very safe places. The people who live along the Caminos will go out of their way to help you--even if you don't speak Spanish. Planning your Camino for the most part is novocain for your fears. The things that are absolutely necessary before you go are (1) get fitted by a knowledgeable salesperson for your backpack (buying one because you like the color or because a friend has one are absolutely the wrong reasons; (2) get fitted for boots by somebody who knows hiking; (4) break in your boots; and (5) invest in a guidebook. Then enjoy. The Camino will provide.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I apologize if my comments were offensive. I was honestly trying to be supportive. The irony of the Camino is the more you try to control it, the more you lose control. It's meant to be a leap of faith. Spain in general, and the Caminos specifically, are very safe places. The people who live along the Caminos will go out of their way to help you--even if you don't speak Spanish. Planning your Camino for the most part is novocain for your fears. The things that are absolutely necessary before you go are (1) get fitted by a knowledgeable salesperson for your backpack (buying one because you like the color or because a friend has one are absolutely the wrong reasons; (2) get fitted for boots by somebody who knows hiking; (4) break in your boots; and (5) invest in a guidebook. Then enjoy. The Camino will provide.

Well-said again, Robert! You describe your experience and what you learned on the Camino -- that's honest and therefore valid. My hope is that your comments might assure some of the more anxious out there that they will be fine on the Camino, or at least will be able to cope with adversity when it arises on the Camino. If people don't think that is valid for them and they prefer to plan it all out before hand and during the walk itself, they are free to disregard your point of view. In sum, no apology needed from my point of view.

I think that here on the forum the focus appears often to be on practicalities - boots; packs; clothes etc because that these are issues which are easy to share publicly. Spiritual issues are often more private or shared with known friends/advisors, their non-appearance here does not mean that they are not important to individuals. There are threads about Spiritual preparation/prayer etc, and some have sadly become controversial. This means that maybe some of us are cautious about posting about spiritual issues as much as we might like and keep instead to the practical ones.

Walking the Camino IMHO is a leap of faith, practical preparation is a move forward in taking that leap :)

I think that here on the forum the focus appears often to be on practicalities - boots; packs; clothes etc because that these are issues which are easy to share publicly. Spiritual issues are often more private or shared with known friends/advisors, their non-appearance here does not mean that they are not important to individuals. There are threads about Spiritual preparation/prayer etc, and some have sadly become controversial. This means that maybe some of us are cautious about posting about spiritual issues as much as we might like and keep instead to the practical ones.

Walking the Camino IMHO is a leap of faith, practical preparation is a move forward in taking that leap :)

I suggest that the "focus" for walking a Camino shifts over time, both as we prepare for a coming Camino or reflect on multiple Caminos already walked. Initially, one is seeking basic information to frame their understanding of the Camino de Santiago, what it is all about and the various routes involved. I believe this, initial stage of learning is followed by a more or less practical stage of realizing that most people cannot just pick up the rucksack and boots behind their front door and head out.

Advance thought, planning, budgeting, preparation and training is required for most people. I submit that is a normal thing. Those of us who have "been there and done that" should not judge those who follow. Even those who have done it before and plan to do it again will, logically, seek to "improve" the next experience. The improvement can be physical (equipment issues), personal (preparation, training, and conditioning), or emotional (finding a "better" motivation, or mental place from which to start and experience the next Camino).

The evident focus on gear, boots, rucksacks, weight issues, what works best, etc. is part of this preparation process. It helps new pilgrims to better understand the coming challenge by enabling them to focus on issues they CAN control. What seems to some as an obsession over "stuff" is IMHO individual people trying to wrap their brains around this effort and what they should do to have a relatively stress-free pilgrimage.

The forum is invaluable in providing that information, help and encouragement of thousands of intending pilgrims. I continue to believe this is one of the primary reasons for this forum to exist.

Those among us who have been fortunate to do several pilgrimages have sorted out the gear and preparation issues. Sometimes it took several trips for some of us to come to a steady state where we can effectively leave our rucksacks packed until the next urge comes.

Also, to many of the forum members, these issues are rote, routine, and dare I suggest boring. I even recall reading among the many conversation threads that several of the more veteran peregrinos have their rucksacks packed and ready to go at nearly a moments notice. THAT is the future state I am seeking to attain.

In the meanwhile, coming off my first Camino and now preparing for my second, I am seeking to revisit the issues that caused stress or anxiety of any kind in my first adventure. Whether it was packing or weight issues, which item worked better than another, what medical problems can be better foreseen and avoided, which logistical choice worked "better," etc., I like so many others used the "down-time" between Caminos to refine my packing, weight distribution, overall approach to daily walking and so forth.

However, my focus on these issues is for the sole purpose of ensuring that the coming Camino will be an even better experience than the last. I seek to learn from my experiences and improve future efforts, for me and for those I meet along The Way.

Preparing to walk the Camino de Santiago is like a pyramid. The base is built on learning, preparation, planning, and seeking knowledge generally. This foundation is followed by additional study and learning about the history and culture of the Camino. Finally, at its pinnacle, the peregrino walks the Camino and experiences the awesomeness first-hand, with ALL their senses.

Following a first Camino, there is a 'feedback loop." The lessons learned, combined with additional information gathered along the way and afterwards, serve as inputs to preparation to the next pilgrimage, and so forth.

Sorry for being long winded, as usual. I hope this helps someone.

I'm enjoying the planning. I was on a business trip to the UK last week and grabbed the opportunity to pick up a few items from the equipment shops there which would be harder to find where I live in Russia (an elastic washing line, a whistle and a sink plug). I am grateful to contributors to this forum for helping me to identify these things which I might find useful. My recent preparations have also included downloading Bach's St John Passion and some audio books on to my ipod nano. I am learning the chorales from the Passion with my early music group and since the first week of my Camino will be Holy Week it seems an appropriate musical accompaniment for moments of solitude. The audio books range from Pope Benedict's Jesus of Nazareth to some Father Brown stories. The great thing about audio files is they don't add weight but I hope they will enhance the spiritual experience.

I would like to clarify a piece of this thread. In no way have I advocated for "no planning", and "just go and let the camino provide". I have advocated for a reasonable amount of planning, just as you would for any journey, with a closer look at footwear, pack weight, etc. I do not judge anyone who enjoys planning for the camino - I am one of those people! What I did say was that an inordinate amount of planning can increase one's anxiety - not reduce it...there are always more questions; more unknowns and you just can't know everything before you leave. So buen camino to all, happy planning, and keep an open mind and heart on your camino.

Before I left in 2008 I had many basic, practical questions, and I was given answers very patiently by a number of people- often by PM or Private Conservation as it's now called. I remain very grateful to all those who helped me get the knowledge I wanted, and who eased my fears. I was especially grateful to be given so much practical help about the Le Puy route, as it was hard to find much info in English about it. And 'behind the scenes' I was also thinking about the purpose for my walk in personal terms that I didn't want to share publicly on the forum. As a lapsed Catholic I have been somewhat surprised to find that in the end, I consider I was actually a pilgrim.
I don't think there is a wrong focus on the Forum. We start from where we are 'at'.
Margaret

PS oh, and since she is here in this thread, I have to say 'thank you' to Lynnejohn, who wrote something on the forum in 2008 about taking each step, each hill at a time, and not to think too much about how far there was to walk to the end. I took her words with me- along with a collection of helpful written quotes/readings/songs I thought might be useful- and there were days when I repeated her words to myself as I struggled with sore feet. Thanks Lynne.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
.... I am wondering if many people have the wrong focus? "This world" problems, instead of spiritual experience and personal reflections on "deeper issues"?
Hola Alex,
Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to discuss "spiritual" and/or "deeper" issues, in an amicable way on a public forum.
But from my perspective, it should be the primary "focus" of any pilgrimage.
Buen Camino
Colin

Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to discuss "spiritual" and/or "deeper" issues, in an amicable way on a public forum.

And not only on a public forum!

If I want to send him apoplectic, I initiate such a conversation with my friend of 40 years, a staunch Catholic.

I've really enjoyed reading this thread - so much Camino wisdom!

My mantra has always been 'prepare more than plan', by which I mean set yourself up to do the Camino safely and reasonably comfortably, but not having to know exactly where you'll stay (or not stay) each night etc.

A couple of the posts here touch on our relationship with 'things', and it's one of the biggest (ongoing) lessons to have come out of my Caminos. Many pilgrims comment on how it exposes how little we really need, and how 'less is more' etc. I agree with that, and the Camino provides plenty of opportunity for us to reflect upon how much we concerned ourselves with getting/taking a certain item that turns out to be useless or unimportant. It also allows us to see other pilgrims who may not have a bang up-to-date backpack or less than ideal clothes, and question our reaction to that. Do we see them as badly prepared, or achieving the same as us with less advantage?

I'm currently furnishing my house pretty much from scratch, and it will end up being a very Camino-inspired one. There won't be any bunk beds, but the balance between cost, utility, quality, quantity and aesthetics comes straight from there.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

My mantra has always been 'prepare more than plan', by which I mean set yourself up to do the Camino safely and reasonably comfortably, but not having to know exactly where you'll stay (or not stay) each night etc.

A couple of the posts here touch on our relationship with 'things', and it's one of the biggest (ongoing) lessons to have come out of my Caminos. Many pilgrims comment on how it exposes how little we really need, and how 'less is more' etc. I agree with that, and the Camino provides plenty of opportunity for us to reflect upon how much we concerned ourselves with getting/taking a certain item that turns out to be useless or unimportant. It also allows us to see other pilgrims who may not have a bang up-to-date backpack or less than ideal clothes, and question our reaction to that. Do we see them as badly prepared, or achieving the same as us with less advantage?

I'm currently furnishing my house pretty much from scratch, and it will end up being a very Camino-inspired one. There won't be any bunk beds, but the balance between cost, utility, quality, quantity and aesthetics comes straight from there.

I think thats fantastic tyrrek, but O dear I have so far to go. I have been saving for a rainy day for more the 25 years (having had very little up until we were well into our Fourties by UK standards). Then the Camino and the very "few real needs exposure". Which has left us needing to seriously down size and the courage to take it on (rather than a bit here and a little there) I commend you for your bravery and Faith with this new venture into simplicity of living.
Buen Camino on your journey.

Indeed!
When I first saw the title of this thread I thought, why "wrong"? Just different. Because we are at different stages of our own personal Camino. Our needs evolve as we do, and it is wonderful that we can help each other along the way no matter how "trivial" it may seem to us at this point in time. I am personally thankful to the veterans that took the time to answer my very practical questions back in 2010.

And here I am about to start my 6th Camino. I may not agonize about what to pack or which shoes to take but I still appreciate the help and advice I receive from my fellow forum members.

The Camino takes place on many levels - that's what makes it so powerful and why I return. But don't ask me to explain it, let alone discuss it here because I will fail miserably.

Buen Camino to all.

Alex, you always have a very positive attitude which I appreciate. You also have a spiritual nature which I admire; thank you for all that you bring to this forum

We each are at our own place along life's journey. Some of us are prepared and ready for the spiritual gifts offered us while others are at a different place that is equally good for that individual. Let us not begrudge the place of others, but be ready to extend a hand to support those behind us and humble enough to reach out to grasp the hand offered from those ahead of us.

There is an art to accepting ourselves for who and what we are while always maintaining a desire to take another step forward. ......... to open the door to our hearts and invite him in..

I could read and re-read your post...but these few lines, picked and cobbled together, could easily become my "mantra" or prayer focus for my next Camino. Thanks so much to both Alex & MichaelB for their posts on this thread! Truly food for thought! Of course I have had time to work out all those other kinks on two previous Caminos!! ;-)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Love all the replies, thoughts, discussions here. In many ways the essence of the Camino seeds are here. Love all the positions, really I do.

I'd like to insert, because reasons, links to perhaps the greatest Peregrina of all time, without comment or desire to weigh in on this discussion one way or the other: I just think about her all the time, I love this woman so much, and find her perspective and her life immensely valuable.

Can everyone walk with only the clothes they are wearing in perfect trust? Probably not: I know not I. She never even had a coat: she walked the south in winter and the north in summer wearing simple sneakers (replacing them every 1500 miles or so when they were literally falling apart after they had been repaired with tape etc). She had pockets in her tunic, instead of a backpack. She carried a comb, a pencil and maybe a toothbrush? I forget...

Anyway, with all my heart, Peace Pilgrim.
Some have called her the only true American saint.
Below is her website plus two biographical videos.

Enjoy, fellow pilgrims!
Much love and peace to all of you.

http://www.peacepilgrim.com/
http://www.peacepilgrim.com/htmfiles/sagevideo.htm

Another beautiful video about Peace
There is another more recent one as well on Youtube, but i'll let you find that if you wish.

Hola Alex,

That's really sad but unfortunately I think you may be right. It's a real shame that we can't all come to realise that everything from a long, pleasant walk in some nice country to a full blown pilgrimage in hair shirt and 800km of chanting and contemplation is the right way to do it. The magic on the Camino is the people on the trail, there's no hocus-pocus in dirt or tarmac or Roman paving stones on their own.

That's really sad but unfortunately I think you may be right. It's a real shame that we can't all come to realise that everything from a long, pleasant walk in some nice country to a full blown pilgrimage in hair shirt and 800km of chanting and contemplation is the right way to do it. The magic on the Camino is the people on the trail, there's no hocus-pocus in dirt or tarmac or Roman paving stones on their own.

Well, I am going to, once again, disagree, even though I think Stuart and I have the same attitude about all of this bru-ha-ha. I think that it's very much possible for us to discuss all of the options and everyone can express his/her opinion, recognize that what's good for you isn't necessarily good for me, and realize that we are all pilgrims in one way or another, all of us on our way to those pearly gates. I just think we need to hold the judgment, and then everyone gets to explore the whole range of possibilities.

I just think we need to hold the judgment, and then everyone gets to explore the whole range of possibilities.

I think you're saying what I meant a lot better than I said it :D I love reading (and occasionally taking part in) the more philosophical discussions, I wish there were more of them.

....I love reading (and occasionally taking part in) the more philosophical discussions, I wish there were more of them.
Hola Stuart,
Yes, I find it interesting also, but it rarely ends well.
If people can get overheated discussing boots v shoes, the tone rarely improves when discussing Philosophy, Religion, and the Meaning Life. (lol)
Buen Camino
Colin

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am also in the planning stages for my Camino in September 2014.
I like to learn and read about it everyday- it makes it real until I get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

Hola all,
How many wise replies here. I didn't mean to come down on anyone: I just wanted to say: Do not be too afraid; go on; things will sort out; the important thing is that you start your journey. For the change in you. Your decision to walk the Camino is in itself a fantastic decision in your own favour, and you will most likely get a reward you didn't quite expect. And appreciate it.

I clearly see the good in getting good practical information, but the purpose of the Way, and what you may reap, is far more important, IMHO. If you lack in equipment, you can buy up on your way. But if you do not know why you're really there, you have a learning experience ahead of you. But that may also be a good lesson? ;)

More than once I have been tought lessons on the Camino; lessons in receiving what you really need; thought-changing events; change of perspective (I come from a really money-driven industry); and so many times it has boiled down to doing what you really need to do (walk the Way), and things will sort out as you go.

Some say that the spiritual issues are hard to describe; But: We can maybe share some of them here anyway? There are wonderful experiences to be found in unexpected places and everyday life on the Camino.

Last edited:
Just to follow up: I have frequently been asked on the Camino (You know, when people get philosophical, deep into a bottle of red): "Alex, do you believe in a higher power?". I usually answer by going to the nearest bush, tear off a leaf, and ask them: "Show me a man who can create this, and I will stop believing in a higher power. Not the whole bush, just one leaf, thank you: that will do."

So yes, I do believe in a higher power than ourselves. Not that that means believing in an old bearded man sitting on a cloud and judging people. Too stupid. But something more powerful than ourself? Yes. It's for you to find out for yourself. Not to mention: I have been married to two of those "higher powers" :D

1459813_10153443400580416_469678399_n.jpg

Last edited:
I want to join this thread and I am ready to go with the flow of The Way too. I'm on my way this 12th of February.....although just doing the last 100kms from Sarria! Include me in your prayers please! It's my first time in the Camino and a bit anxious on how the weather will be like!!!!....but ready to dive in there!!!

I want to join this thread and I am ready to go with the flow of The Way too. I'm on my way this 12th of February.....although just doing the last 100kms from Sarria! Include me in your prayers please! It's my first time in the Camino and a bit anxious on how the weather will be like!!!!....but ready to dive in there!!!

Have a great Camino. Keep us posted.
Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
having skipped all but the original post, so apologies if I repeat what has allready been said.

Wrong focus or not, who is to judge?

It is all about trying to control what is uncontrollable, a very human need and maybe, it just is what it is and we should let it be just that, untill one gets going and it becomes something else which also just is what it is but is usually different...

I hope I meet someone like you to converse with on my Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Happy birthday and Buen Camino! :)

I see so many posts here about equipment issues, foot trouble, bed hunting, bed bugs (I never saw any) etc., and I am wondering if many people have the wrong focus?
I think people worry about those NOW so that when they are finally completing their Camino there will be little else to worry about. As far as the bed hunting, etc... completely in agreement. Many that embark on the Camino who look down on those who transfer bags or do private lodging seem to be the same ones obsessed with getting the "right" bed at the "right" albergue. Well, since I don't have to worry about neither, then I'll just go on and enjoy the Camino.....ahhhhh!!

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back