• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Xmas has come early

Qwertyberty

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - Santiago 2016
St Olav's - 2017??
Just been to local supermercado ( no names....) and got the bargain of the year: 6.5kg, yes, 6.5, serrano jamon, with stand, carving knife and sharpening steel - £24-99.
How do they do it? Better price even than the ones I've seen in Spain.
So, all pilgs on here are invited to share, otherwise we'll never eat it all!!
Edit, it was actually £27-99, reduced from £35-99......but who's counting at that price.
The whole thing in the box weighed about twice as much as my camino pack!!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Aldi!!!!

I decided it would be too much for me, so bought the smaller joint at £12,99 (including stand and knife), and also several more for gifts.

We all know the knife will be rubbish, but it's still good value.

Just hope it tastes reasonable, otherwise it's bacon!

Kaufland has the same deal in my neck of the woods ;-) Buen Approvecho, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Aldi!!!!

I decided it would be too much for me, so bought the smaller joint at £12,99 (including stand and knife), and also several more for gifts.

We all know the knife will be rubbish, but it's still good value.

Just hope it tastes reasonable, otherwise it's bacon!

Well, we will test it for lunch today, so watch this space.....

Test completed.
Usual disclaimer - I have no connection with the supplier....
The knife is actually quite good: flexible and sharp, easy to carve thin slices.
And the jamon is superb:D, tasty and succulent - lunches/dinners/teas/blahblah for the next month, at least:rolleyes:, for all our friends and neighbours as well.

I am so tempted to get one, what is the recommendation about storing them? I mean for the few days there is some left? :rolleyes: SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I do have mixed feelings about those sharp pricing of any kind of food ( luxury or not ) . Of course it is a good thing that these offers are available. And I will take into account that the festive period is a special moment.
Also big retailers like Aldi and Lidl have the power to make deals with the big international foodplayers.
It is the local ( in this case Spanish ) farmer I feel sorry for. I can't help thinking it is him, on the other side of the food / commerce chain, that suffers the most.

I do not eat meat every day and if I buy it I will always go to a local butcher for local sourced produce. And in view of the climate conference in Paris I try to keep my ecological footprint as low as possible.

Again just my very humble opinion.

I am so tempted to get one, what is the recommendation about storing them? I mean for the few days there is some left? :rolleyes: SY

For storing ham :
Just any colder place will do, but no fridge. Always cover with a cotton towel, never tinfoil.
Cover the meat with leftover fatty parts of the meat to keep the ham moist.
OH brought a ham back from his worktrip in Germany.:)

Last edited:
Oh dear - here I was, thinking to help Spanish farmers by buying their produce...but instead lining the pockets of the nasty German discounters.
Over the past 5 years I have spent thousands of euros in northern Spain, walking the camino, some of which surely filtered down to the local food producers.
Regarding my ecological footprint, I suspect the thousands of kms flying to and from Biarritz, Madrid and Santiago have done far more harm to the environment than eating a bit of meat now and then.

Last edited:
Also to bear in mind, sometimes the big discounters offer such items at a loss to them, i.e. cheaper/the same price than they bought it for to entice happy customers to the shop and buy more stuff ;-) Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.