• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Zubiri or Larrasoana?

FourSeasons

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2016, 2019, 2024
Hola me amigo/a’s 😁 I’ve stayed at Albergue Zaldiko in Zubiri. I’d like to stay someplace else my next go around. Any suggestions in Zubiri? Places to eat?

Also, I’m looking at San Nicolas Albergue in Larrasoana, any reviews from fellow pilgrims who have experienced this place would be much appreciated.
😎👣🌻

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Why stay at the same villages and towns this time around?
On my first Camino, I ventured off-stage, meaning quieter villages etc.
Worth consideration??
I’ve never stayed in Larrasoana. I ventured off stage on my first, second and third Camino. My question was very well thought out. I’ve read many reviews and did my research but still want opinions from my fellow pilgrims here.

Funny, people can post about socks and get miles and miles of individual responses on this forum. I don’t understand why I’m receiving pushback. (Not from you per sey).

As a matter of fact, I was a little hesitant to post my question here. What a shame. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've never stayed there, but how about splitting the difference and stay at Hostel Acá y Allá in Urdániz?

Hola me amigo/a’s 😁 I’ve stayed at Albergue Zaldiko in Zubiri. I’d like to stay someplace else my next go around. Any suggestions in Zubiri? Places to eat?

Also, I’m looking at San Nicolas Albergue in Larrasoana, any reviews from fellow pilgrims who have experienced this place would be much appreciated.
😎👣🌻
I stayed at San Nicolas in 2016 and it was nice back then!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks, I’m asking for direct opinions from fellow pilgrims on this forum.
If you look at the albergue on the gronze.com site, you will not only see photos, but read many detailed opinions from fellow pilgrims who have stayed there. I am not sure how requesting detailed information from fellow pilgrims who happen to be on the forum is more valuable?

If you look at the albergue on the gronze.com site, you will not only see photos, but read many detailed opinions from fellow pilgrims who have stayed there. I am not sure how requesting detailed information from fellow pilgrims who happen to be on the forum is more valuable?
You’re coming off a bit snarky and have added nothing to my thread. I have looked at Gronze and other sites as I stated in one of my comments.

I asked the question on this forum because the opinions of some members is valuable to me as I have been a part of this community for many years. Perhaps I’m looking for a positive dialogue amoung familiar faces. Some comradery.

If this is any indication as to how the Camino has changed, as if me asking a question is such a bother. I may just say to heck with it all.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Zubiri for me…stayed here April 24th 2023.

http://www.alberguesuseia.com/

Amazing homemade super flavourful meal cooked and hosted by Sara. What a lovely and sweet person. Definitely would go back. Will cook vegetarian also. Super clean and great backyard. ❤️
Awe, thank you for your reply. I’ve spoken with Sara and she doesn’t cook during the time I’d be staying. I’m glad to know she’s such a wonderful host. Perhaps I’ll stay with her another time. 😎👣 Buen Camino.

You’re coming off a bit snarky and have added nothing to my thread. I have looked at Gronze and other sites as I stated in one of my comments.

I asked the question on this forum because the opinions of some members is valuable to me as I have been a part of this community for many years. Perhaps I’m looking for a positive dialogue amoung familiar faces. Some comradery.

If this is any indication as to how the Camino has changed, as if me asking a question is such a bother. I may just say to heck with it all.
It is my experience that when you put your head above the parapet you need to take the brickbats with the bouquets!
I am not surprised at your response, because you did not ask for alternative suggestions, you were quite clear about the term of your question.
You can of course say to heck with it all, or maybe you can wonder if the other points of view have merit.
I am sorry I cannot offer any opinion re accommodation in either of the places you mention. I do think your reaction to @Walkerooni is a bit harsh, though. Camaraderie is not just one way. I hope you find the information you seek.
ps: I too have put my head above the parapet and am ready for the brickbats! 😈

It is my experience that when you put your head above the parapet you need to take the brickbats with the bouquets!
I am not surprised at your response, because you did not ask for alternative suggestions, you were quite clear about the term of your question.
You can of course say to heck with it all, or maybe you can wonder if the other points of view have merit.
I am sorry I cannot offer any opinion re accommodation in either of the places you mention. I do think your reaction to @Walkerooni is a bit harsh, though. Camaraderie is not just one way. I hope you find the information you seek.
ps: I too have put my head above the parapet and am ready for the brickbats! 😈
We are all entitled to our opinions.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Another vote here for Suseia in Zubiri although it looks like you have already decided against this one? I stayed in 2023 and Sara is an exceptional host as well as a wonderful cook and I’ll go back there if I get the opportunity. I have also stayed at San Nicholas in Larrasoana back in 2016 and it was also very good - only four beds in my room, a great bar and shop next door, and a good communal meal for dinner. Don’t remember if I ate breakfast there or on the road. May be greatly changed since 2016. Larrasoana makes for a really short walk into Pamplona and more time to site see if that interests you. Buen Camino.

I can’t give an opinion on the hostel (I went posh and stayed in a pension 😁) in Larassona but the cafe/bar/store there is run by a wonderful and welcoming couple and has a great pilgrim feel as the afternoon and evening goes on with everyone mixing and meeting for that reason alone I would go back to Larrossona

I had to think about answering due to the less than polite responses from OP (honestly, think about how you react to people trying to help you...) but on the other hand, it might help someone else as well.

I can relate to not wanting to stay at Zaldiko a second time. Felt run down and roomes were a tight fit. Not horrible, but not good either.
In 2019 i stayed at Rio Arga, which was brand new at that time. Was a very nice stay and i have good memories of the showers. They did offer breakfeast, but this might have changed.
In 2022 i had dinner at Palo de Avellano, and if they are as good an albergue as they are with dinner i think it might be worth a try.
No idea about Larrasoana, never stayed there but might do so next time.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've stayed at San Nicholas in Larrasoana twice over the years, and it's always a lovely and welcoming stay. There's also a little shop/cafe directly across the albergue run by a nice man and his (Russian?) wife.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've never stayed there, but how about splitting the difference and stay at Hostel Acá y Allá in Urdániz?

I stayed there in late August this year. Comfortable. Excellent meal. Would stay there again if passing that way.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thumbs up from me for this place, we stayed here instead of Zubiri (although I would love to stay in Zubiri one day). Wonderful facilities and great pilgrim meal, and as others have mentioned a little shop around the corner. Nice place by the river to go and dangle those pilgrim feet in also.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I did and loved it.
Great place with pool, washer and dryer, awesome meals.
Nice comfy bunks
And (as the joke goes) this is the place where you meet Jesus 😉😇
Good luck and Buen Camino

I have stayed at Hostel Aca y Alla in Urdaniz, too, and loved it. As @CWBuff says, the dinner was outstanding. I thought it was a nice alternative instead of staying in Larrasoana or Zubiri and I did pre-book it. I noticed a huge busload of pilgrims picked up in Zubiri and assume taken to Pamplona because no albergue or rooms were left in that bottleneck town.
I stayed at San Nicolas two years earlier and it was quite nice.

Last edited:

😎👣🌻
IMHO avoid the albergue in Larrasoana. When I last stayed there it was a rainy day. There was no heat, no covered place to do hand laundry or to try washed items.

I contracted serious bronchitis from one night there.. this caused a two-day recuperation stop in a hotel at Pamplona while I sweated the infection out, with the assistance of a local pharmacist.

At the albergue, there was obvious condensation running down the sleeping room walls. Nothing could dry.

Many pilgrims prefer Zubiri. I agree with this.

Hope this helps,

Tom

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

😎👣🌻
I stayed at San Nicolas albegue, but it was a while ago (2017). It is very clean, the rooms were good size, the shower/bathrooms were good. We arrived too late for the dinner at the albergue, but the hospitalero arranged a group dinner at a local restaurant for those of us who couldn't eat at the albergue. I remember that was good and they had a prilgrim menu. We did arrive early enough to sit outside at the tables at the albergue and have some wine and snacks. It's a cute little town. I'd definitely go back again.

I also stayed there as I couldn't find a place in Zubiri. Aca Y All has a friendly owner/manager and very good evening meal

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

😎👣🌻
I do love a bit of Zubiri, especially in the summer when you can take a dip in the river.

Albergue El Palo De Avellano was nice when I stayed there in 2022, I remember it being a little bit more expensive, but it was clean and the communal meal was great for meeting other pilgrims.

Albergue Rio Arga Ibaia is another nice one, it's on the bridge, and the inclusive basic breakfast brings everyone together in the morning.

I've heard good things about Albergue Suseia from a friend who stayed there, food is meant to be good and the host very friendly.

Buen Camino

I stayed here in 2021. Loved it because —hosts were awesome, clean, modern, large inside communal area to sit, do laundry, outside covered area for eating, small pool, small yard with grass, two fantastic meals (dinner& breakfast). Off the Camino path about 600 meters but worth the extra steps. I don’t think there was a place to eat or shop for food in the town, but could be wrong. I would definitely stay here again.

I have sent a WhatsApp message inquiring about a bed. It definitely sounds promising with great reviews and a pool in mid August. Now that’s a pilgrims dream.
😎👣🌻
If you like a swimming pool, Zubiri has a large municipal pool open to the public - over the bridge to the main road, turn right and walk for about 5 minus and you'll see it

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

😎👣🌻
I stayed at Albergue Suseia in Zubiri (June '23) and it was one of my favorite Albergues on the Camino Frances. Sara, the owner, was our host and made us feel so at home. She greeted us with homemade lemonade, and had rolled up newspaper for our wet shoes (it had rained over the Pyrenees). The home was lovely with a wonderful yard (garden) outside to rest as well as a living room inside. The community meal was a highlight. She cooked us some of the local specialties using her grandmother's recipes. I felt like I got a great taste of the region! It was such a wonderful night with a few other pilgrims as opposed to the zoo I'd experienced in Roncesvelles the night before! I would definitely recommend her place and would return there again myself.

[edit: went back and saw others had suggested this but it won't work for you this time. Sorry for repeating info you already had. Maybe next time!]

Last edited:

I stayed here in 2022. The swimming pool was a godsend and the communal meal was excellent!

I met most of my eventual 'camino family' here ❤️

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Amazing homemade super flavourful meal cooked and hosted by Sara. What a lovely and sweet person. Definitely would go back. Will cook vegetarian also. Super clean and great backyard. ❤️
We stayed here too in 2022, our second time. A lovely warm welcome, a private room and a delicious evening meal and a help yourself breakfast.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I also stayed at HOSTEL RIO ARGA IBAIA - 2X - it had a large kitchen, lots of utensils to make your own meal, private rooms, and dorms with two or three bunkbeds in each room. It was clean and had a nice bath and a fair price. And Zubiri was my favorite little town on the Camino.

Last edited:

😎👣🌻
I stayed at San Nicolas in April 2022. Excellent communal meal. Cozy and elegant dining room. Beds good. But beware! Overnight the hospitaleros moved all the trekking poles inside unbeknownst to me. In the morning I left early at 7 am. Door locked behind me and where are the poles? I waited an hour to find out. Nobody answered the door. Some lessons here, one being patience and acceptance.

I can’t give an opinion on the hostel (I went posh and stayed in a pension 😁) in Larassona but the cafe/bar/store there is run by a wonderful and welcoming couple and has a great pilgrim feel as the afternoon and evening goes on with everyone mixing and meeting for that reason alone I would go back to Larrossona
I, too, stayed at Pension el Peregrino In Larrasoana. It was a lovely place and the fellows who run it were very nice. I had a private room, and shared a bathroom. The cafe/bar/store across is run by a very nice man, though to be honest, the food choices are, as I recall from September 2022, very limited in Larrasoana.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

😎👣🌻
My husband and I stayed at Albergue San Nicolas in Larrasoana in 2016 and 2018, and we loved it both times. It's a small, clean albergue with a nice communal meal and a sunny patio area. We enjoyed talking with everyone staying there with us, and both times, we made good friends that we still keep in touch with. Smaller places are always my favourites.

Across the road from the Albergue is a little store where you can pick up something for a light lunch upon your arrival. The owner is a real character, and everyone we know who has stopped there enjoyed the experience. The afternoon my husband and I spent, sitting in the garden behind the store, sipping wine, talking to the owner and eating the excellent tomato salad he made us for lunch, was one of our fondest memories of our first Camino. The shopkeeper has a collection of flags hanging on his walls and around the garden that visitors from all over the world have left for him, so if you are visiting, consider bringing a flag to leave.

My daughter and I stayed at Albergue San Nicolas in September, 2023. We would rate it 'Excellent'. At 17-euros, a little on the high side, but well worth it and the slight detour off the designated path. Spacious 2-bunk rooms with lots of room for backpacks, etc. Nice showers/toilet across the hall. We arrived late and missed the communal meal, but the friendly host arranged a nice meal for us, with wine, from the pantry. A bagged breakfast was also available. Washer and dryer were available off the kitchen. Overall, very pleasant experience.

😎👣🌻
I stayed at San Nicolas 3 times in the last 3 years. I like it. Seems to be family run with very friendly staff and a homey atmosphere. They have a nice communal dinner, and will pack breakfast in a bag if you so desire. It makes a nice stopping point if you stayed at Orisson or Valcarlos the night before.

IMHO avoid the albergue in Larrasoana. When I last stayed there it was a rainy day. There was no heat, no covered place to do hand laundry or to try washed items.

I contracted serious bronchitis from one night there.. this caused a two-day recuperation stop in a hotel at Pamplona while I sweated the infection out, with the assistance of a local pharmacist.

At the albergue, there was obvious condensation running down the sleeping room walls. Nothing could dry.

Many pilgrims prefer Zubiri. I agree with this.

Hope this helps,

Tom

t2andreo, I assume you are talking about the municipal albergue in Larrasoana. I checked it out in June 2021 shortly after Spain started allowing US to enter. I found it chilly and with bad vibes, so I sought out San Nicolas. Had a great experience there, and stayed there twice more since.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

t2andreo, I assume you are talking about the municipal albergue in Larrasoana. I checked it out in June 2021 shortly after Spain started allowing US to enter. I found it chilly and with bad vibes, so I sought out San Nicolas. Had a great experience there, and stayed there twice more since.

Yes, it was the municipal albergue. Thank you for clarifying.

I also had the same very positive experience at Suseia. Sara also did my laundry, 4 Euros each to wash and dry

Another vote here for Suseia in Zubiri although it looks like you have already decided against this one? I stayed in 2023 and Sara is an exceptional host as well as a wonderful cook and I’ll go back there if I get the opportunity
I had booked for May 23 but had to cancel my Camino!
Opened for bookings January 15th this year; my booking conformation email was sent 9.04 am!
I hope it lives up to expectation:)
Woody

I have stayed at San Nicholas twice; in 2021 and 2023. I believe the ownership changed during this time and I found the new owners to be extremely kind and engaged. It was a great place to stay both times.

I echo that both times I had amazing experiences at the market/bar right across the street. The bar owner has walked the camino many times and has a very interesting backstory. He has a great sense of humor, cooks a fantastic meal and fosters a vibe that encourages pilgrims there to meet and converse with seeming strangers.

My night at the bar, communicating with people from Brazil and Italy with my broken Spanish (sister language to Italian and Portuguese) and their broken English, along with lots of gestures and smiles, was a highlight of my entire Camino. My Camino Family for that trip began in earnest that night.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

😎👣🌻
I don’t like Larrasoana , just a personal opinion from a decade plus ago.
Zubiri better vibe especially if hard day prior .
When we got washed out the first two days ( Valcarlos as Mt was closed & Burguette , a beautiful Hotel in Akerreta was a blessing.
And the short cut to Pamplona from there restored the aching bones.

Avoid that coffee for a week spend up & enjoy ……you’re getting older 🤭👍

My favourite stop along the CF. Only 12 beds, beautiful home cooked, five course meal, breakfast option, very clean, washing/drying, Sara has just started taking bookings for this year. Highly recommended.

I stayed there on my second night. A thoroughly enyoble stay. A small room for women and a room with a sitting/kitchen area and 4 bunks off. We had a communal meal/wine all laid on by the hostess with breakfast in the morning. A good introduction to meet fellow pilgrims. We saw a few in Santiago. A small swimming pool if you fancy a dip.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’ve never stayed in Larrasoana. I ventured off stage on my first, second and third Camino. My question was very well thought out. I’ve read many reviews and did my research but still want opinions from my fellow pilgrims here.

Funny, people can post about socks and get miles and miles of individual responses on this forum. I don’t understand why I’m receiving pushback. (Not from you per sey).

As a matter of fact, I was a little hesitant to post my question here. What a shame. 🤷🏻‍♀️
In Larrasoana there’s a small grocery around the corner from the Nicolas albergue. The fellow that runs that place is a sweet, generous character. I’d stop there, but make sure you bring him a CD.

I stayed there in Sept 2022. It's located in the small hamlet of Urdaniz just west of the magnesium mine. Less than 1/2 mile off the trail and across a highway. Run by a nice couple (wife speaks Engligh) who live on 2nd floor. Stocked honor bar, good communal meal and breakfast. I took advantage of their small swimming pool to cool down my feet after that day's descent into Zubriri.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I stayed there in Sept 2022. It's located in the small hamlet of Urdaniz just west of the magnesium mine. Less than 1/2 mile off the trail and across a highway. Run by a nice couple (wife speaks Engligh) who live on 2nd floor. Stocked honor bar, good communal meal and breakfast. I took advantage of their small swimming pool to cool down my feet after that day's descent into Zubriri.
Thank you! Yes, I've decided this will be the place. I'm really looking forward to the meal and that pool, oh the pool. :)

Why stay at the same villages and towns this time around?
On my first Camino, I ventured off-stage, meaning quieter villages etc.
Worth consideration??
It's always worth going 'off-stage' in my experience.
My mantra is normally, 'never stay at the bottom of the page in the guide book'
Better prices, avoid accommodation pinch-points etc etc ( keep it to yourself though, or everyone will be doing it 😉)

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back