• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Silly Stuff that you have Worn on Camino - Pics

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Let's see who has worn the most silly looking gear on Camino!

I'll start with the knotted handkerchief hat!

It was a rainy day and I had my rain pants and jacket on.
But the feeling of the jacket hood was a bit cold/wet/clammy.
It really needed a liner.

Hence the knotted Hanky!

It worked great.

2023-05-12 11.06.19.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I hadn’t yet ‘invented’ this neckwarmer but if I go on camino again I will certainly take something like this. I wear it when I set off hiking on cold days. As soon as I warm up I slip it off; no need to remove my hat. It is so small it is easily stowed in a pocket or can be wrapped around a pack strap. Made from an old T-shirt.
IMG_1193.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My turning-eight-year-old-daughter grumblingly consented to one balloon being tied to her pack on her birthday, but two was too many, so her sister rescued the other we had carried from home in preparation to celebrate! Walking with the kids in the photo is just one of many pilgrims, who wished her a happy birthday that day. And some gave her chocolate, which stopped the grumbles!!

IMG_1142.JPG
Now that I look closely one of the kids is wearing a scarf under her hat on what is clearly a warm day - not sure what's with that!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
About 2006 I think, standing in line for a shower at Redecilla, holding my "pajama top" that I got in the free box at the albergue the day before, the lady next to me realized she had picked up the bottoms!

I didn't get the PJ top to wear to bed though. I wore it to keep the hot sun off me. I slit the arms along the bottom seam - as you can see in the photo where I simply laid down on the trail to rest!

Attachments

• IMG_1030 Redicilla del Camino.JPG
    IMG_1030 Redicilla del Camino.JPG
    923.3 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0820.JPG
    IMG_0820.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Let's see who has worn the most silly looking gear on Camino!

I'll start with the knotted handkerchief hat!

It was a rainy day and I had my rain pants and jacket on.
But the feeling of the jacket hood was a bit cold/wet/clammy.
It really needed a liner.

Hence the knotted Hanky!

It worked great.

View attachment 164535
Will we see a photo of you wearing your rice cooker?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not quite the Camino but it is in Spain. Mis seis chicas.

IMG-20230809-WA0078.jpg

I am very conscious of the sun because I have had surgery for skin cancer three times and especially so in Aotearoa New Zealand because of the hole in the ozone layer above ANZ and so I usually cover up well.

Obviously in this case the gorgeous local Spanish ladies didn't have the same concerns and so I look very much out of place in this photo 😕

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It certainly looked silly, but it was 100% intentional and worked perfectly.

The theory: Stuff on the drying racks gets mixed up all the time and you might end up losing your socks because all those dark grey things pretty much look the same.

The solution: Get stuff in colours you'll be able to identify instantly even on a cloudy morning being hung over. With socks, if possible, get two different designs and mix them. It will look weird but you won't lose your socks. And its a good conversation starter.

(unfortunately i have no foto of the result on my feet, but you should get the idea...)

1708418564554.png1708418594983.png

Although my pack has a pocket on the side for a water bottle, it was cumbersome to use. Thankfully I realized this before leaving for Europe. I found a net pouch designed to hold a water bottle. It has a string at the top to secure smaller bottles but it held my reusable stainless steel one easily. It clipped to the front of my pack with a carabiner. In and of itself, perhaps not so silly. But my overall appearance made up for it. : )

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kid you not, I was wearing nearly every piece of clothing that I had. Cap & rain hat, gaiter, multiple layers, poncho with string to complete the Friar Tuck look. I have never been so cold before or since. Por Hospitales on a “walking in the freezing clouds” day, May 2019. Going back for seconds soon.😂

IMG_4234.jpeg

Green, tan and black pack, blue lumbar pack with yellow reflective strip used as the pack's brain, yellow microfiber cloth for a towel and driver visibility and a found bright orange nylon shopping bag used for holding food and more driver visibility. Not seen in this picture is a red hiking pole usually strapped to the side.

Not much color in my clothes though.

img_20191028_142954-01-jpeg.118169

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino 1 on the Frances I had a terrible time with feet and vanity out the window I wore whatever boot or sandal would work best....

Same here. Terrible blister on left heel.
Luckily the soles were the same height, so my gait stayed unaffected.
I did get a few strange and a few knowing, compassionate looks.

IMG_0701.jpeg

Camino 1 on the Frances I had a terrible time with feet and vanity out the window I wore whatever boot or sandal would work best....
Same here. Terrible blister on left heel.
Luckily the soles were the same height, so my gait stayed unaffected.
I did get a few strange and a few knowing, compassionate looks.

View attachment 164617

That is hilarious. We would have been the perfect walking (or limping?) group of "silly sandals".

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not exactly a Camino but certainly a long distance walk. My wife and I spent New Year of 1989/90 in Nepal. While in Kathmandu I bought a hideously garish suit of multicoloured cotton - all the rage at the time. I've only ever worn it once. In about 1994 or 1995 I made a 24 hour sponsored walk across central Scotland. Ended up being about 108km in total. I chose to wear the suit because I wanted to attract attention for the charitable cause and also to avoid being run over! Worked on both counts :)

Attachments

• century-lodge.jpg
    century-lodge.jpg
    665 KB · Views: 94
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Roland49 - Robo was asking for "silly stuff," not what every pilgrim is wearing. 😄

I was reminded of my Camino 'Clown' Gear.
I felt very self conscious wearing these water bottles at first!
It doesn't matter what you look like..... ;)

It was on the VdlP so I needed more water.
On the Frances I would have 2 x 600 ml bottles.

Last edited:
@Roland49 - Robo was asking for "silly stuff," not what every pilgrim is wearing. 😄
It's more than 50 years I'm around and you never see me wearing a hat or buff, I'm definetly not a hat person.
My son (age 18), as he replied to the posted IG story, had a good laugh, not knowing how I look like with a covered head.
Since then he makes fun of it...

Last summer on the Sanabres I had a day of walking in clouds of little gnats/bugs (the worst I've ever experienced!). During the walk I passed an older Spanish couple out for a stroll, and they gave me a bunch of leaves to fan the bugs away from my face as I walked. At one point I had it tucked into my hip belt and I looked down at myself and just had to laugh.
IMG_6165.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.