• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Way, My Way - the movie

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
I just saw the trailer for the movie The Way, My Way, and it looks great. Trailer says it will be in theatres May 16. Hoping it makes it to a theatre where I live. I’d love the opportunity to see a Camino movie on the big screen.
The movie also uses the song Somewhere Along the Way that I have linked in my signature, which is great for me because that song is so intrinsically linked to the Camino in my mind.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just saw the trailer for the movie The Way, My Way, and it looks great. Trailer says it will be in theatres May 16. Hoping it makes it to a theatre where I live. I’d love the opportunity to see a Camino movie on the big screen.
The movie also uses the song Somewhere Along the Way that I have linked in my signature, which is great for me because that song is so intrinsically linked to the Camino in my mind.

Looks amazing!! I’ll have just finished my own Camino when it comes out!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wow, I was training yesterday and listening to My Camino the podcast with Dan Mullins who interviewed Bill Bennett, the writer, director, producer of this movie. Incidentally, the podcast host, Dan Mullins sings the song you hear on the trailer. Great, hour-long interview about the movie…and more. Trailer looks great! I’ll be smack dab in the middle of the Frances when it comes out. Can’t wait!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Looks a bit like the other film. As a film (and entertainment) to maintain interest, it needs to include a range of events that would probably not happen to ordinary mortals (like me). imo this will be its downfall. I enjoyed doing the camino ( a very personsl experience) though I don't think my experience would warrant a film?

What theatres will show it? Interesting that Emilio Estevez is releasing the original “The Way” for limited showings on that same date.

What theatres will show it? Interesting that Emilio Estevez is releasing the original “The Way” for limited showings on that same date.
I have been following the release of information about the film on Facebook. So far the only dates I have seen for cinema screenings have been in Australia.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I look forward to watching the movie. More for it but i hope it doesn't congest the Camino Frances too much more than it already is.
Unless it is a runaway success I think that it will not make a lot of difference. For all the hype about that Martin Sheen film in 2010 there is little evidence of it having a major effect on numbers outside our fairly small Anglophone Camino bubble. The trend on the Caminos is pretty steadily upwards in any case.

Unless it is a runaway success I think that it will not make a lot of difference. For all the hype about that Martin Sheen film in 2010 there is little evidence of it having a major effect on numbers outside our fairly small Anglophone Camino bubble. The trend on the Caminos is pretty steadily upwards in any case.
Too funny, since the movie THE WAY introduced the Camino to hordes of us US folks in that decade. For awhile, nearly everyone you asked had seen it and been inspired to walk. That’s tapered off as the dim has aged, but to suggest otherwise is ludicrous

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Too funny, since the movie THE WAY introduced the Camino to hordes of us US folks in that decade. For awhile, nearly everyone you asked had seen it and been inspired to walk. That’s tapered off as the dim has aged, but to suggest otherwise is ludicrous
To hordes of US folks perhaps. The US made up a little over 7% of the total number of pilgrims last year. Adding in all the other English-speaking nations would put it a bit over 10%. On the Caminos "nearly everyone" is far wider than one country. I wonder how many of the 200,000 Spanish pilgrims who received a Compostela last year would credit that movie as their inspiration if you had asked them instead of your compatriots? As an English language forum our view of the Camino world is often lopsided.

The people who made the movie are friends of Dan Mullins, and have been on his podcast several times, so no surprise that his music is in there.

I understand that it is premiering May 16 in Australia and NZ. I'm not sure how long it will take to get to North America or if there are plans to release it on DVD or Blu-Ray.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I was fortunate to view this movie before it went into the post production stage, and I can say with no exaggeration that this is the best I’ve viewed. It has real pilgrims, a warm story about a man finding himself, and the photography lends a background that rivals any other. I would say it’s better than The Way as it is a genuine reflection of one man’s journey. Don’t miss it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wow, I was training yesterday and listening to My Camino the podcast with Dan Mullins who interviewed Bill Bennett, the writer, director, producer of this movie. Incidentally, the podcast host, Dan Mullins sings the song you hear on the trailer. Great, hour-long interview about the movie…and more. Trailer looks great! I’ll be smack dab in the middle of the Frances when it comes out. Can’t wait!
I just listened to the POD while on my training walk today. I can't wait to see this movie in a cinema.

OK so it is an Australian film about the Camino so it will be interesting to see if it becomes another Crocodile Dundee type cult movie for people like you in Canada

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is it my imagination or did Johnnie Walker make his film debut?
Hi Don and Bradypus - yes, John does have a role in the film. I won’t be a spoiler - all I will say is that everyone who sees the film will LOVE the scenes he’s in and will also love the film itself.

Like @SteveSherry, I saw the final cut of the movie late last year, plus a previous rough cut and didn’t want to leave the screening on each occasion. The reel could have been run again straight away and I would still have been transfixed at the end of the second run. It’s a most authentic dose of the Camino.

While writing, I rang Bill Bennett this morning to ask about the international distribution of the film, telling him Forum members are interested to know about this. He told me that discussions are under way. He’ll let me have information on this as soon as it’s all set in place.

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Jenny, thanks for your comments. hope you are doing well!
In the trailer it looks like he is offering up a shot of Oruja or is there possibly a scene where they are consuming the mysterious Queimada?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For all the hype about that Martin Sheen film in 2010 there is little evidence of it having a major effect on numbers outside our fairly small Anglophone Camino bubble.
How very true. I remember being very perplexed at the top of Alto del Perdon that the Korean chap who later became a friend had no idea what I was talking about in my naivety when I told him that this was one of the famous scenes from the movie 🤣

The director made it clear in his interview with Dan Mullins that this is a film that needs to be seen on the big screen. I just hope I have the opportunity, as getting distribution in cinemas is not easy. I think it does have the potential to be the best camino film (that I've seen).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The director made it clear in his interview with Dan Mullins that this is a film that needs to be seen on the big screen. I just hope I have the opportunity, as getting distribution in cinemas is not easy. I think it does have the potential to be the best camino film (that I've seen).
I agree.

He is a Camino veteran, Forum member, blogger and writer of various guides, who is bigger than life, living and breathing in Santiago. He periodically does organ recitals at St. Augustin near the Marche.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
He periodically does organ recitals at St. Augustin near the Marche.
When he is in Santiago he is the regular organist there and plays for many services. He migrates south for part of the winter and is currently avoiding the Galician rain and snow in Málaga. :) Where he also acts as a church organist.

When he is in Santiago he is the regular organist there and plays for many services. He migrates south for part of the winter and is currently avoiding the Galician rain and snow in Málaga. :) Where he also acts as a church organist.
I really appreciated his appearance in Bill Bennett's film. A small but oh-so-moving contribution to the excellent production. I'm sure I would appreciate his skills as an organist, too, if I had the opportunity to hear him.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The people who made the movie are friends of Dan Mullins, and have been on his podcast several times, so no surprise that his music is in there.

I understand that it is premiering May 16 in Australia and NZ. I'm not sure how long it will take to get to North America or if there are plans to release it on DVD or Blu-Ray.edon
This will be a great movie, based on his blog post of 2013, when he walked. I was on the blog and we have been friends ever since. The blog turned into his book and now into the film. Many of the pilgrims he walked with, actually are in the movie and some actors. For me it will be interesting to see the evolution in artistic license. My hope is that it reflects his blog which was an daily accounting of a life changing journey.

There's a great "Behind the Scenes" video :

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I checked in a pilgrim from United Arab Emirates who came because he had seen a DVD of The Way.

He said he had shared it with several friends and was disappointed that none of them would go with him.

Said he was muslim, but he bought beer from us.

There's a great "Behind the Scenes" video :

Ty you JabbaPapa I hadn't seen this before.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've not seen the film yet, but Bill did most kindly give me an early access to the trailer in its work-in-progress state some months ago -- I absolutely love that final shot of the "Top of the World" as it ends, Lord knows how long that shot must have taken to set up !!

I've been up there twice in that circumstance of perfect pure solitude and silence -- not one other pilgrim as far as you can see. And that is humbling and amazing.

Bill has captured what that feels like at close to perfection -- big screen would clearly be best, but it looks bloody amazing on my own ultra-widescreen 5K2K monitor in fullscreen mode ...

You can hear two of Dan's songs in that trailer: "The Camino Song (Somewhere Along the Way)" and "Duende".

Jenny, thanks for your comments. hope you are doing well!
In the trailer it looks like he is offering up a shot of Oruja or is there possibly a scene where they are consuming the mysterious Queimada?
Hi Don -

I checked with Bill - now this will disappoint but it’s water … apparently producers don’t allow alcohol on set/on location etc.

What a shame for Bill and John that it wasn’t the most delicious Queimada! That’s special!

Best wishes from Oz -
Jenny

Hi Don -

I checked with Bill - now this will disappoint but it’s water … apparently producers don’t allow alcohol on set/on location etc.

What a shame for Bill and John that it wasn’t the most delicious Queimada! That’s special!

Best wishes from Oz -
Jenny
What is the queimada spell?

Conxuro da Queimada on the Camino - Andaspain Walking Adventures

The Conxuro da Queimada is the reading of an ancient “spell” from the Galician tradition. Some say this dates back to Celtic times. It is believed to have begun when Paganism was widely practiced in Galicia (the final state along the Camino de Santiago to the remains of St. James).9 Apr 2019

Seems if Bill drew the line with beer this may be a tad too adventurous

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What is the queimada spell?

Conxuro da Queimada on the Camino - Andaspain Walking Adventures

The Conxuro da Queimada is the reading of an ancient “spell” from the Galician tradition. Some say this dates back to Celtic times. It is believed to have begun when Paganism was widely practiced in Galicia
Various ancient words translated as "spell" into modern languages really just mean "recipe", except in particular contexts.

I also have met many non-USA pilgrims who had seen and been influenced by The Way. Well said Vacajoe!

I went to the preview last night. It's an enjoyable movie. A little like The Way, they have stitched a narrative story into the journey. It's beautifully shot and entertaining but only for Camino nerds. I listened to people around me saying it was just OK. I suspect the audience of this forum will enjoy it.

I went to the preview last night. It's an enjoyable movie. A little like The Way, they have stitched a narrative story into the journey. It's beautifully shot and entertaining but only for Camino nerds. I listened to people around me saying it was just OK. I suspect the audience of this forum will enjoy it.
Thanks for sharing. I’m looking forward to seeing it.
The person that wrote the song Somewhere Along the Way will be on the CF next month making another Camino documentary, called Somewhere Along the Way. Two new films to look forward to.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back