• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1,000 Miles in a Lumbar Pack: Ultralight Camino de Santiago Packing List

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are Camino veterans.

This is Shawn's lumbar pack list, fully explained - why and what .. is fascinating... one thing I would say is that he obviously has excellent homeostasis as he doesn't seem to get cold.

Thinking of packing superlight and still having fun? Watch this - Enjoy!

(Copyright Shawn and Lainey, Days we Spend)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, I'll have to watch this tonight. It seems plenty interesting.

However it might not be that relevant to myself. Yes, i also like to pack ultralight for camino, but my conclusion is that you get diminishing returns after some point.
While my pack weight in 2022 for the CF was 3,6kg, this years primitivo i'll likely start with a 4kg pack. Because in all honesty, add a liter of water and a bottle of wine and those 400g don't really matter all that much anymore. Or differently put, i'd rather carry a 4kg pack with a super comfortable all purpose loadout than a 2,5kg one with a loadout that works - but just so - and at the cost of personal comfort.

However it might not be that relevant to myself. Yes, i also like to pack ultralight for camino, but my conclusion is that you get diminishing returns after some point.
While my pack weight in 2022 for the CF was 3,6kg, this years primitivo i'll likely start with a 4kg pack. Because in all honesty, add a liter of water and a bottle of wine and those 400g don't really matter all that much anymore. Or differently put, i'd rather carry a 4kg pack with a super comfortable all purpose loadout than a 2,5kg one with a loadout that works - but just so - and at the cost of personal comfort.
You’re correct when you pack a regular backpack. But this video show how to pack for a lumbar pack which is only around your hip. Adding a bottle of wine isn’t possible there.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I loved this idea and researched a little those lumbar packs. I found a mountainsmith day lumbar which has more volume with 13l.
Has anyone experience with that model?
Yes- when you use the day, I would recommend their shoulder harness (Strapettes) about $28 USD. The day can get a little top heavy so you have to pack it a certain way- the challenge with the lumbars is water- at 8.34 pounds per gallon, If you are somewhere you need to carry more water then it can be a challenge- know someone who mountain bikes with the day and uses a back bladder pack for water- also if you use trekking poles the smaller folding ones would fit on pack better instead of collapsing style.

His wife does the USWE- I will be doing my Primativo with one- I love it- here is her video she has a good packing list also

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I traveled for 3 1/2 weeks through Germany and Italy with the largest Mountainsmith hip pack available then (2007) along with a much smaller daypack that I wore in front or in back as it suited me. This was not a walk/hike, like the Camino, as we took trains mostly from one city to another. But my packing list was similar to what I plan to take on the Camino. I'm not able to access this pack for another two weeks, but I've very curious to see if it might work for me for the Camino. It was very comfortable for my 2007 trip and so easy to use compared with a back pack. I'm a small woman, so my clothes were smaller, too, which must have helped.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
His wife does the USWE- I will be doing my Primativo with one- I love it- here is her video she has a good packing list also
What do you like about the USWE as there is little information on the web about it as a backpacking choice other than Lainey’s video and another review I found…other than the weight?

Yes- when you use the day, I would recommend their shoulder harness (Strapettes) about $28 USD. The day can get a little top heavy so you have to pack it a certain way- the challenge with the lumbars is water- at 8.34 pounds per gallon, If you are somewhere you need to carry more water then it can be a challenge- know someone who mountain bikes with the day and uses a back bladder pack for water- also if you use trekking poles the smaller folding ones would fit on pack better instead of collapsing style.
I considered it mostly for the Caminos where there’s plenty of water for refilling.
As for the shoulder harness: I liked the lumbar pack because of muscular issues with the back. doesn’t the harness invert the whole idea? I mean, it sounds like a backpack, then.

I posted it as I really like the concept. Though is probably too minimalist for me. I like to carry food, a proper waterproof poncho, a down jacket, etc. and he wore that shirt for 56 days without washing it, so carried no spare.

Thing is, to travel so light means that water isn't a problem (to him). He fills himself to the brim at water sources and then camels it in between.

I guess that if you are so light, and he looks pretty athletic too, then the need to carry water disappears? London marathon runners do their 26 miles without water, apart from the grab some on the go?
I watch Wimbledon and the players burn vast amounts of energy in mid summer heat for hours but only sip small amounts of water now and then. Same with football. Is this an athlete thing?

Begs the question, do we always need to carry so much water? We always say only carry what you need but we ignore that with water, we always carry what we think we might need.

Might be worth a new thread to discuss this?

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Wow! Will you look at that!! Outstanding! .. and I can see that there is still room to carry, say, a long sleeved thermal vest or even a compression bag packed light down jacket (chilly nights) and lunch, couple of filled bocadillos.
And, Paul, I see that with water you use the concept of fill yourself to the brim at water points and then only need to carry a small bottle.

so - lime green is sleep liner? Blue is waterproof top? What is the shiny orange thing? and no razor ... you beard up and then shave off when you get home?
and is that a light thin shoulder harness at the back?

Last edited:
Wow! Will you look at that!! Outstanding! .. and I can see that there is still room to carry, say, a long sleeved thermal vest or even a compression bag packed light down jacket (chilly nights) and lunch, couple of filled bocadillos.
And, Paul, I see that with water you use the concept of fill yourself to the brim at water points and then only need to carry a small bottle.

so - lime green is sleep liner? Blue is waterproof top? What is the shiny orange thing? and no razor ... you beard up and then shave off when you get home?
and is that a light thin shoulder harness at the back?
Lime green is micro fibre towel blue is sleeping bag liner, stored on top in a dry bag 👍 second dry bag for spare clothing. I take a paramo smock which is also stored on top and yes shoulder straps which can take a pouch…for food I normally buy when I stop for a coffee and carry a basic emergency chocolate bar and nuts…and yes beard up 👍

Attachments

• IMG_3247.jpeg
    IMG_3247.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 18
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are Camino veterans.

This is Shawn's lumbar pack list, fully explained - why and what .. is fascinating... one thing I would say is that he obviously has excellent homeostasis as he doesn't seem to get cold.

...a cautionary thought: SKIN CANCERS. There is NO SUNSCREEN in the kit.

* whilst the topless hat would be a pleasure to sport, cancer of the scalp is not. Thick hair does'nt protect from UV rays.

* short sleeves and shorts are cooling but exposing skin without sunscreen invites sunburn, moles, melanomas and other dangerous cancers to form on bare skin.

* where is the SPF 30+ Lipbalm?

CHeers.
Ps I walk lite too. Since 2012 I have roamed Europe and other places carrying a Mountainsmith day pack. It is by my side as I write...20240412_094648.jpg

Pps I really enjoyed the video. There is always more to learn. Thanks for posting it

Last edited:
...a cautionary thought: SKIN CANCERS. There is NO SUNSCREEN in the kit.

* whilst the topless hat would be a pleasure to sport, cancer of the scalp is not. Thick hair does'nt protect from UV rays.

* short sleeves and shorts are cooling but exposing skin without sunscreen invites sunburn, moles, melenomas and other dangerous cancers to form on bare skin.

* where is the SPF 30+ Lipbalm?

CHeers.
Ps I walk lite too. Since 2012 I have roamed Europe and other places carrying a Mountainsmith day pack. It is by my side as I write...View attachment 167695

Pps I really enjoyed the video. There is always more to learn. Thanks for posting it
You’ll notice on my pack the 2nd bottle holder is empty that’s where I keep my factor 50 suncream (I’m Scottish I burn in a strong moonlight 🤣) and as I’m bald I always have a full floppy hat but I totally agree with protecting yourself from the sun 👍

I posted it as I really like the concept. Though is probably too minimalist for me. I like to carry food, a proper waterproof poncho, a down jacket, etc. and he wore that shirt for 56 days without washing it, so carried no spare.

Thing is, to travel so light means that water isn't a problem (to him). He fills himself to the brim at water sources and then camels it in between.

I guess that if you are so light, and he looks pretty athletic too, then the need to carry water disappears? London marathon runners do their 26 miles without water, apart from the grab some on the go?
I watch Wimbledon and the players burn vast amounts of energy in mid summer heat for hours but only sip small amounts of water now and then. Same with football. Is this an athlete thing?

Begs the question, do we always need to carry so much water? We always say only carry what you need but we ignore that with water, we always carry what we think we might need.

David I have considered the water/food issue also when setting up my kit and on a trial walk I teamed this up with a basic running bladder which would easily take enough water, food and a poncho while still keeping the whole set up lightweight it also works as a day pack if you want to leave the lumber pack behind in your hostel when you go out later in the evening 👍

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

You’re on to something.
I personally have done long, exhausting hikes with only tiny amounts of water. I simply don’t need liters of water for a day’s hike.
But all the reminders of “stay hydrated” teached people a fear.

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

There is zero chance on the Camino that you can’t drink. Fountains, bars, your camel-pack, your hydrated body from yesterday’s beer and wine.
One really can go without suckling constantly off the backpack’s water system.

In the past I have been a lone voice in the Camino wilderness questioning the need to carry so much water (except for perhaps two or three partial stages) given that water is available pretty much every 3-8 kms. But this is a topic fraught with contention and controversy. So, I have tended to leave it alone.

What do you like about the USWE as there is little information on the web about it as a backpacking choice other than Lainey’s video and another review I found…other than the weight?
I love the harness- the straps are actually stretchable- they call it no dancing monkey- it hugs you so it disperses the weight- the pack is not rigid (but is padded) so you can twist and stretch your back/body while you wear it. I think it is the future of pack harnesses as there are a few now that offer similar harnesses. The hip belt is also removable and can use as a hip pack alone. The whole thing is waterproof so no pack raincover needed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A very interesting video. A little too minimalist for me in some areas like first aid equipment and lack of sleeping bag, however it is a workable system.

Thanks and it’s food for thought. I’m soon starting the Via Francigena and my goal is 3.5kg total pack weight in my gossamer gear Kumo.

I agree about the Strapettes - a worthwhile investment. You can use the provided single strap across the body (like a courier bag) but the Strapettes hold the load closer in to the small of your back.
I've used the daypack for long weekend hostelling and had no problems with it although is on the heavy side.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I have watched so many of their videos and enjoy the heck out of them! I emailed them a question and heard back the next day.

I traveled for 3 1/2 weeks through Germany and Italy with the largest Mountainsmith hip pack available then (2007) along with a much smaller daypack that I wore in front or in back as it suited me. This was not a walk/hike, like the Camino, as we took trains mostly from one city to another. But my packing list was similar to what I plan to take on the Camino. I'm not able to access this pack for another two weeks, but I've very curious to see if it might work for me for the Camino. It was very comfortable for my 2007 trip and so easy to use compared with a back pack. I'm a small woman, so my clothes were smaller, too, which must have helped.
If it wasn't for the sleeping bag, I could have fit everything into the lumbar pack. I tried strapping the sleeping bag on top, but it just felt too awkward. I decided to go with a lightweight backpack.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.