• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

10 things to know before visiting or moving to Spain....

• Thread starter Deleted member 43780
  • Start date
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
:D:D:D:D
Tip 4: You will wait nine hours to get served at a restaurant, another nine hours for the food to arrive, plus two or three more before you get fed up waiting for the bill and do a 'sinpa' (ie. a runner, from sin pagar – without paying).

Oh I laughed out loud at that one!! Yes, I sometimes skipped having a coffee or a beer because I could not handle waiting 30mins to get my order in... then another half hour to pay for it. :p And that was not even in August... just regular "Spain speed." (Or maybe Euro speed? I had the same experience in France too! 45 mins to get served an espresso o_O)

We speedy North Americans can go a little batty trying to adjust to the slower European timing. Even though we could probably benefit from slowing down. It doesn't mean we enjoy it! Lolololololol.

Waiting two hours to be given a menu then another two and a half hours to get served all of our supper nearly drove my companion nutty. In Vancouver restaurants, my partner and I are usually in and out again in half an hour. Vive la difference!!

yep, the more you want it...the slower you get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The best part of travel is learning there are other ways of doing things than the way we were brought up. ...and maybe incorporating some aspects into our new, expanded lifestyle. ;)

In a far and very distant past I have lived four years in Spain, and since then I have re-visited regularly. Saying that, I agree on the children, language and birthday points, but sorry and excuse my French, the other points are simply rubbish and untrue in my time limited experience. Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
SY between the two of us, your french is awfull:D
JenCamino: you must agree that the tapas in Spain are unique and the service rapidisimo.;) "speedy Northamericans" should slow down and discern Spain's qualities.:p Iced water hasn't replaced a glass of good red (yet) TG:) The "coffeemakers" you're used to produce Abwaschwasser.:mad: Excuse my German.:cool:

Chill, it's all mañana.

Whilst walking the Camino Ingles recently my Spanish companion and I gave up waiting to be served in a restaurant in Betanzos, but he laughed at me for the rest of the camino for going up to the restauranteur and saying "yo hambre" in a very pleading voice.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My husband and I wound up making up a song (in Spanish) about the wait for the check. We can make each other laugh simply by crooning the first line: "Lo siento, la cuenta Se deseparacido...."

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
Or do you prefer Cromwell's attitude? Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry. I am starting to get tired of the attitude that it isn't necessary to take reasonable care and thought...
I struggle with social anxiety and I was wandering if anybody with the same issue had a positive experience on the Camino walking alone. I saw lots of posts and videos people talking about forming...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Money stolen from bag on bed while sleeping. Estelle municipal hostel. Not a big inconvenience as my passport and credit cards were left.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back