• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2 days and already broken

yorkshirepilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances september-october 2015
Well im two days into my 2nd camino and feel broken already..i left Lisbon yesterday and thanks to the wet stone block pavements i slipped several times and twisted my not so good knee .so i limped on to Alverca . Today things just got worse first leg cramps in the first 10km ,i never get leg cramps walking. Then toe pain .seems ive hammered one of my toes already the nails a bit off colour..and then the icing on the cake maybe 2 or 3 km from azambuja on a main road i again slipped face first onto the tarmac cutting and bruising what used to be my good knee.
Im rapidly getting the feeling this could be one camino too many for me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Take a big breath and a rest day or two. Indulge and pamper yourself a bit with food and drink and a decent bed/room. Take another big breath, perhaps a careful walk around town. And yes, walking sticks help with stumbling also, at least they help me. Continue slowly as you can and listen to what your body wants to tell you.
All the best and Buen Camino, SY

Well im two days into my 2nd camino and feel broken already..i left Lisbon yesterday and thanks to the wet stone block pavements i slipped several times and twisted my not so good knee .so i limped on to Alverca . Today things just got worse first leg cramps in the first 10km ,i never get leg cramps walking. Then toe pain .seems ive hammered one of my toes already the nails a bit off colour..and then the icing on the cake maybe 2 or 3 km from azambuja on a main road i again slipped face first onto the tarmac cutting and bruising what used to be my good knee.

Sorry to read about this yorkshirepilgrim. I would advice you to go to a doctor or policlinic. Maybe the hospitalero or the person at the hoteldesk can help you out. Or seeing it is a weekend, at least go to a pharmacy. They could give you some help too.
Don't give up too quickly. Take some rest , listen to your body...take public transport if needed....Treat yourself to a private room...

Keep us informed and above all : take good care of yourself!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I do hope things get better for you. I too rely on poles to help keep me upright. I would also consider your shoes to see if they are part of the problem. Maybe you need some with better traction, support, cushioning, or better fit.

Bom Caminho.

Mike

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
ouch - so sorry to hear about those falling events.
and - how to be with the what to do?
noone can counsel - this is between you and yourself: how to properly discriminate between: do i ought to press on? give it a proper and long rest? or maybe this camino was all setting off on the wrong foot to start with? and simply head back home.
maybe it is 'one camino too many' - or maybe it's a fine one - just ill-timed because your body/spirit does not quite cooperate.
does not seem like you are broken, as you put it, or perhaps you are.
who knows? so what is it that needs mending? do you need more 'down time' ? more 'self care'? a gentler pace in life? more feriousness?
Usually a bruised body appreciates rest and care.
life has its way of 'intervening' - pay heed to that. life is a greatest teacher .... listen and watch with care and affection ... and see what will come next.
clearly - i am not ever in the camp of cheering on just because it's a camino and one has to follow it through just because ... etc.
this was in my inbox this morning - like to share it if you don't mind:

Camas Lilies
by Lynn Ungar

Consider the lilies of the field,
the blue banks of camas opening
into acres of sky along the road.
Would the longing to lie down
and be washed by that beauty
abate if you knew their usefulness,
how the native ground their bulbs
for flour, how the settlers’ hogs
uprooted them, grunting in gleeful
oblivion as the flowers fell?

And you—what of your rushed
and useful life? Imagine setting it all down—
papers, plans, appointments, everything—
leaving only a note: “Gone
to the fields to be lovely. Be back
when I’m through blooming.”

Even now, unneeded and uneaten,
the camas lilies gaze out above the grass
from their tender blue eyes.
Even in sleep your life will shine.
Make no mistake. Of course
your work will always matter.
Yet Solomon in all his glory
was not arrayed like one of these.

----
very best wishes to you in heartfel Portogallo -
C

when you fall, you bruise tissue and to protect against the pain when you walk, you inadvertently change your walking pattern, hence some of the cramps. It is hell. When you anticipate the pain at the next step, you will use some other muscles and the strain is telling.
You must, if you can , get some massage and do some stretching, which also a Physioterapist will be able to perform.
Some of these are angels here on earth and the Oxitocine that they will release in your body will ease some of your pains....
And get some walking sticks if you have not gotten them already. They will time your steps and dampen the weight when your feet hit the ground. You can even buy them dead cheap, so you can even dump them again when you leave for home. Or might even get some at the Herbegue you are staying, ask if they have some left behind by others.
And hope for you own little miracle within the next few days.. nobody knows.
It is not over till it´s over....

Last edited:
Chin up - Yorkshire pilgrim - it's only 2 days - and by my new Camino Portugues guide that arrived today - you've already covered 61.7 - are you sticking with the guide? or could you afford to slow down a little ? Also - do you have walking poles - not necessary a yorkshire thing hehe but might take a bit of pressure of your knees - other then that - pressure off and a gentler pace may be helpful for a couple of days at least :)
rooting for you
buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Carry on, it can only get better.

Yorkshirepilgrim- guy, dear fellow pilgrim. Take it easy. Tomorrow will be brighter. First three days aint so nice out off Lisboa but then it gets really beautiful. Hang in there, your guide will guide you. Take care! Gonna check you out tomorrow. Peace!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Yorkshire Pilgrim
Seems like you have the support of many fellow pilgrims. As others have mentioned, treat your injuries, rest up a while and gently ease yourself back into your Camino. It's early days yet - hopefully, good times lie ahead....
Keep your chin up and stay safe.

Blimey cobber. Two days in and you're at Azambuja already! I think the advice is to rest up for a while mate, then cut your daily distance back a little.
I don't head off til March but the word is that the surface is hard. I'm thinking to take a spare pair of softer spongy innersoles.
Regards and better travelling.
Gerard

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Yorkshirepilgrim:

Is the alternative being at home and going to work everyday?

Slow down, pay attention to where you are walking, drink more electrolytes, bandage your toe and keep walking.

It can only get better.

I am here just waiting for April 11th to arrive so I can be doing what you are doing.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Oh, do not despair. I walked same last September and blistered feet so badly I ended up in emerg in Tomar. Was despondent... But with kindness from my hospitalier, three days rest, and a train ticket forward, I rallied and enjoyed the walk from Porto immensely. You will find good company with more pilgrims there. Also, the Seminario in Porto is near the hospital district. Both good places to be.
Courage!

Oh, do not despair. I walked same last September and blistered feet so badly I ended up in emerg in Tomar. Was despondent... But with kindness from my hospitalier, three days rest, and a train ticket forward, I rallied and enjoyed the walk from Porto immensely. You will find good company with more pilgrims there. Also, the Seminario in Porto is near the hospital district. Both good places to be.
Courage!
Sounds good advice I am hoping to get to Lisbon early September 2017 and taking it easy no rush job

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Take a rest day or two, have someone look at your feet, enjoy clean sheets, a glass of wine, and lots of hot baths. I have found it difficult to convey the overwhelming exhaustion and stress of the first few days, and how helpful a bit of rest and encouragement will be.

Tough start-- I had to go to the emergencia on the Frances and Northe. Once for blisters, the other I broke my little toe , wacked it on corner of bed at night going to toilet. ( yea it bloody hurt )Foot swelled up could hardly get it in my boot. I could hardly walk.
So moral of the story is.. before leaving Camino I'd recommend going to the Emergencia, or hospital on Camino. The Doctors, and entire staffs are wonderful. No doubt they have seen your symptoms before, they know how to treat these injuries. They have extensive experience in treating these injuries.
You'll receive excellent care and instructions. Both times I thought I'd have to stop walking, they knew proper treatment kept me in the game. listen to them follow their instructions,
They are Camino Angels !
Cliff

Very practically, do your shoes have anything to do with the slipping?
And as others have said, if you don't have poles, they're lifesavers--it's like having four legs.

And before you make any decisions, do take care of your heart, take care of the body. After you've taken a few days to chill out and heal, then you can decide what to do.

Not all Caminos are a easy. Those can be the deepest ones, but you have to be able to take on the challenging inner and outer journey wholeheartedly. And the body has to be capable of carrying on. If for any reason those things are not happening, there's no shame in pressing the pause button and coming back later.

You have a great start to an inspirational camino. Take a day off, get a couple of trekking poles, slow down a bit. I did the Portuguese last July, three months after knee surgery, at 60 years old and way overweight. Everybody passed me but my legs told me how slow to go. I'm excited for what is ahead for you and I hope you continue to post your story.
Buen Camino

Hi Yorkshire Pilgrim. Walking poles a real asset to relieve stress & strain on knee and ankle joints. Also magnesium to relieve/avoid cramps and drink plenty of water. Bananas are great as well as electrolytes. Pharmacy will help you with magnesium and also perhaps a cream for the bruising. Take your time and rest when possible. Also the one piece of advice is to stop when you sre going to do anything other than walking. Having a drink, stop. Taking a photo, stop. Someone calls out to you, Stop, before turning. Want to get something from the side of your backpack, Stop. It is so easy to twist a knee, ankle or fall even on smooth surfaces. So remember to Stop. Buen Camino and blessings as you journey along the Way continues.

You have a great start to an inspirational camino. Take a day off, get a couple of trekking poles, slow down a bit. I did the Portuguese last July, three months after knee surgery, at 60 years old and way overweight. Everybody passed me but my legs told me how slow to go. I'm excited for what is ahead for you and I hope you continue to post your story.
Buen Camino
Hi Paintboy2, great advice for the Yorkshire pilgrim, thanks on behalf of all pilgrims. I just had a total knee replacement, last Nov...and just emailed my surgeon to ask him if I was crazy to think of an 800km Camino in May-June. That would be 6 months post op for me. I was intrigued to read that you had knee surgery 3 months prior to your camino. Do you mind me asking what you had done. I'm still awaiting the reply from my surgeon, he'll be back to work on this Tuesday coming (2 days). I've been able to get on my bike and ride a bit and doing lots of walks but only maybe 4km so far. My op[ was 9 weeks ago last Wednesday.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dear Yorkshire Pilgrim/White Rose,

Now is the winter of your discontent...
Your body is worn,
And a little bit bent.

The first days hurt, Camino remorse,
So shout really loud,
"My kingdom for a horse!"

(With humble apologies to The Bard and Richard III, House of York.
PS: Antiinflammatories, vino and a good night's sleep work miracles. Or at least make things tolerable. Ultreya!)

Hi YorkShire Pilgrim,

It's sad to hear what happened to you.

Listen to your body and the sage advice of the forum members who have posted on your thread. It's easy to be put off by the difficulties you have been through. What you have been through IS difficult. Once you have recovered, you will find that it is much easier to push on and finish what you have set out to do. Take one step at a time and don't forget to smell the roses, so to speak.

I wish you a Buen Camino. A "modified" STOP sign on my way in 2015 on one of the intersections on the Camino Portugues says: Don't STOP walking. It made sense to me after being sideswiped by a speeding car (uninjured) on one of my Camino stages in 2015.

Ultreya!

Last edited:
Hi Paintboy2, great advice for the Yorkshire pilgrim, thanks on behalf of all pilgrims. I just had a total knee replacement, last Nov...and just emailed my surgeon to ask him if I was crazy to think of an 800km Camino in May-June. That would be 6 months post op for me. I was intrigued to read that you had knee surgery 3 months prior to your camino. Do you mind me asking what you had done. I'm still awaiting the reply from my surgeon, he'll be back to work on this Tuesday coming (2 days). I've been able to get on my bike and ride a bit and doing lots of walks but only maybe 4km so far. My op[ was 9 weeks ago last Wednesday.

Hi Peter,

G'day!.

Try and have physiotherapy/Rehab to restrengthen your lower limb muscles. You can then do the prescribed exercises to reverse any limb muscle weakness and atrophy brought on by osteoarthirtis. You have plenty of time before your next Camino.

All the best!

Angelo

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Peter,

G'day!.

Try and have physiotherapy/Rehab to restrengthen your lower limb muscles. You can then do the prescribed exercises to reverse any limb muscle weakness and atrophy brought on by osteoarthirtis. You have plenty of time before your next Camino.

All the best!

Angelo
Thank you so much, Angelo....My surgeon (who has done over 5000 total knee replacements) said I've done enough physio...and its now time to do some serious cycling and walking. I'm almost getting to that stage of jumping out of my skin again...I've been doing spin classes at the gym and beach walking here at home in NSW. I'm just waiting for the word form the professor (surgeon)...I'm retired, so have some active exercise planned each day...cycling, walking or gym. I'd be surprised if the doc says that 6 months is too soon...but I will wait patiently to hear from him some time after Tuesday...I hope. It seems we are both a bit bitten by El camino de Santiago, both being Australian and so far away from that romantic country of Spain. Rarely a day goes by that I don't think about Spain, and I regularly consult my diary or leaf thru my well worn Brierly guide. I am a bit addicted to the Cf, but I notice you have walked the Camino Portugese...was that an equally enjoyable experience for you as the camino frances???

Thanks Peter! Yeah you should be on your way then. Your motivation will make you recover soon..

Yes I did enjoy the CP Coastal route. Less busy than CF for sure but equally enjoyable although walking on the roadside was tough. Imagine speeding cars coming right at you!

I look forward to my Camino de Madrid and Salvador in April. I don't believe there will be enough time to do the Primitivo this year as I only have 4 weeks of leave including the long flights to and from beautiful Spain. I might do the shorter Camino Ingles after Salvador instead then walk the Primitivo next year.

Good luck on your next adventure.

Last edited:
Hi, Yorkshire Pilgrim,

Though we can't give you medical advice, we can send you lots of cyber support and encouragement. Like everyone else, I think your best bet now is to stop and rest for a while. You can either take the commuter train back to Lisbon (it's quick, convenient, and cheap) and enjoy that lovely city for a while, or stay put in Azambuja. Not much to see or do there, but if the point is bed rest, you can probably do it more cheaply and with fewer distractions in Azambuja. Once you're feeling better, you can decide whether to stop now or continue on. As someone on the forum always says to people in your situation, the camino will be there when you return, no need to rush now. Wishing you a good recovery, both mentally and physically!

And one last thing -- I think walking sticks are essential, in which case returning to Lisbon makes sense. There's an inexpensive, in-city Decathlon in Lisbon right next to the Corte Inglés department store, metro Sao Sebastiao. Get thee to a sports store if you are going to continue!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi YorkshirePilgrim, I'm wondering about so many falls in such a short period of time. While walking sticks are an obvious help in general walking circumstances, I'm wondering if there is something else going on with your body. Have there been recent changes in your medications? Is there some sudden dizziness or vertigo, that you haven't experienced before? Are you more easily distracted, and trip while you are looking around rather than watching the roadway?
We have all experienced difficult days on our walks, and the first few days are often a painful grind until we adapt to long days of walking. But I'm wondering if there's something else going on here.

Everyone thank you so much for your support :) . I think i just pushed myself to much,apart from my rambling back home i had spent 3 weeks walking the hills and backrounds at my brothers in spain then straight from his i came across to portugal.. so tired and wet portugues s footpaths wasnt a good combination . But today i woke in a better frame of mind my knee is bruised and cut but nothing requiring amputation .. but still it and its arthritic twin is still sore so today i have sort of taken a rest day and taken the train to Tomar (cant believe how cheap rail travel is in portugal) and looking at the hills out of here for the next few days i may just do the same tomorrow .Its not what i wanted to do but i just need to step back look at things realisticly and i think this is the best thing for me for the next day or two, its a bit different from my last camino but the goal is still the same..Santiago by any means
Again thank you everyone you and this forum.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Tough luck. As an old guy who is still hiking, I feel your pain. Him

Tough luck. As an old guy who is still hiking, I feel your pain. Bom Camino.

Sorry to hear about this yorkshirepilgrim. As the others have said we are thinking of you. Maybe rest a day or more and try walking some shorter days. If you think the situation warrants medical attention then do not delay.
Hope all gets better
Duncan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Everyone thank you so much for your support :) . I think i just pushed myself to much,apart from my rambling back home i had spent 3 weeks walking the hills and backrounds at my brothers in spain then straight from his i came across to portugal.. so tired and wet portugues s footpaths wasnt a good combination . But today i woke in a better frame of mind my knee is bruised and cut but nothing requiring amputation .. but still it and its arthritic twin is still sore so today i have sort of taken a rest day and taken the train to Tomar (cant believe how cheap rail travel is in portugal) and looking at the hills out of here for the next few days i may just do the same tomorrow .Its not what i wanted to do but i just need to step back look at things realisticly and i think this is the best thing for me for the next day or two, its a bit different from my last camino but the goal is still the same..Santiago by any means
Just read your post, what a bad luck. Good to read that things are going better. Take care of your self, your body, take Some rest and you Will go on. Wish you all the best, good luck, and Bom Camino!

Stop. Rest. Take a deep breath. Continue carefully. Stop worrying about it and just do what you can. ENJOY YOURSELF. #YorkshireGrit

I loved the walk from Lisbon but regret not spending an extra day in each town so take your time and enjoy the sights, the people and the food. Tomar was beautiful and I should have spent some time there.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I walked and ended up sick and injured, I contacted the forum about how to know I was done.
Wise people said to wait, rest, take care, address getting help.

I KNEW a day off would not be of ANY benefit and they were just saying that.

however even another over night in the Albergue made a huge difference. Getting help at Centro de Salud (spelling?) set me on the road to recovery, modification by shipping my pack ahead for 4 days and asking for a lower bunk and letting go of pride made enormous difference
you could not have convinced me before that that 3 or four days could do that
best of luck in your healing and choices
Nanc

So true, Nanc...letting go of pride. The body has a wonderful mechanism for repair with some rest

When we felt we could not continue we caught a bus to the nearest big town and just found some comfortable accommodation and rested until we felt better. Take your time, hopefully it will all settle down, but if not, ther is always another time, another year.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Take a big breath and a rest day or two. Indulge and pamper yourself a bit with food and drink and a decent bed/room. Take another big breath, perhaps a careful walk around town. And yes, walking sticks help with stumbling also, at least they help me. Continue slowly as you can and listen to what your body wants to tell you.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Tonic water is often prescribed for patients suffering from Multiple sclerosis, the cramps they suffer are truly agonising . Try it , it works with rapid effectiveness and has lasting residual properties . It must be the ' real ' stuff with Quinine as its active ingredient .
A stiff gin and tonic or two every now and then might be the double whammy you need, protection and relief from cramps as well as a muscle relaxant and confidence booster . A magic potion with no down side , how rare is that ?
Did the flight affect your middle ear structures ? Are you a little deaf after the flight ? Perhaps your balance has been affected which may explain the falls .

Hi Peter
When I walked across Europe I met and walked with a Belgian who had walked out his front door in Belgium AND he had had a knee replacement just a couple of months before he started. So obviously every person is different and we do have to listen to our medicos but perhaps that can be your inspiration. Although from the sound of it you are just as 'addicted' as I am.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Everyone here has good advice although I must strongly advice never to mix alcohol with painkillers!
The over the counter painkillers in Spain are much stronger in grams than in many other countries.
Beware of this.

wow am sorry to hear that why not take a few days to rest and see how it goes.

Hi Nathaneal - rest up if you can, get healed and warm and dry. Good luck, Bon Camino.

Hello again everyone..sorry to say i have called it a day . It was a tough decision but for me now it is for the best.. i just couldnt face struggling along hurting and maybe make things worse which would ruin it even more..so as i type my sticks and boots are now parked up outside my brothers in valencia..
I will give it a few months back home then if alls well im sure i will be thinking about when to return .
So until NEXT TIME
Thank you everyone

Hello again everyone..sorry to say i have called it a day . It was a tough decision but for me now it is for the best.. i just couldnt face struggling along hurting and maybe make things worse which would ruin it even more..so as i type my sticks and boots are now parked up outside my brothers in valencia..
I will give it a few months back home then if alls well im sure i will be thinking about when to return .
So until NEXT TIME
Thank you everyone
Makes good sense. Time now to enjoy other things and look forward to future opportunities!

Wishing your boots and poles a nice stay in Valencia. Sounds like Yorkshire Pilgrim may be walking the Camino de Levante yet.

I walked the Camino Portuguese September, 2016. There is a lot of walking on pavement and cobblestones for sure. Take time to heal, it's not much fun to walk in pain. You didn't say if you have trekking poles (sticks) or not. If you don't have them you can buy them.If used properly they can add a lot of stability on the uneven cobblestones and slick pavement. Ask some fellow pilgrims to show you how to use them if you don't know. There is a right and wrong way to using them.

I don't know what type of shoe you are wearing but suggest you consider a pair of New Balance Trail Shoes or other tennis shoes with good flexible soles that grip and have plenty of cushion. Mine cost less than $40.00 US and I didn't even get a blister on the Camino. To be honest I did lost two toenails but I expected that.

I ran into numerous people on the trail with serious blisters and foot ailments who wore traditional hiking boots, I felt so sorry for them. Hiking boots are overkill for the Camino Portuguese terrain.You won't be climbing mountains.

Lastly don't rush, especially in the first few days you are walking. Take your time, look at the length of step you take, consider lightening your load if possible, I noticed my pack did throw my balance off and perhaps that is happening for you too. Make sure your pack is adjusted properly to sit on your hips and practice your balance.

You've had a rough start but it is just that, a start. Regroup, give yourself permission to go slow, and take it literally a step at a time. There is a lot of beauty in front of you on the Camino, wonderful people, beautiful countryside, and an adventure you'll remember for a life time. Best Wishes for a speedy recovery and an amazing Camino.

Last edited:
Injuries and the slips that cause them are never fun. I sit here now with an injury I sustained after 3 days out from SJPP. I blew the IT band on my laft leg. It has not healed. Now starting 6th month.

If you have pain in the toenails, your footwear is likely too small.

The knees, you likely know to ice them but now that it has been 48+ hours, switch from heat to ice, heat to ice. This can speed up the healing process. But before taking anyone's suggestions, get a doctor to check everything out.

Not sure the tip type on the poles but it sounds as though they are not rubber tipped. Wet or dry, rubber usually works.

Eat, pray, heal.

Oh no! You poor thing! Don't give up though, take a train to Porto and rest up for a bit to recover and then set out from there. The walk from Porto to Santiago de Compostela is amazing. I walked the Portuguese Camino from Porto last April and I met a few people who had started in Lisbon and had a miserable time until they abandoned the walk and made their way to Porto and recommenced from there. It is supposed to be the most beautiful part anyway. You can come back another time and do another Camino next year and/or the year after! Good luck :)

I agree with all the other posts. Take couple of days rest, and look after your self. The first few days are tiring anyway without all this trauma so a rest won't go amiss. then get a pole or two. Try doing something as basic as stretches at least during and after the dasys walking - even if you are super fit it definitely does help with the cramping. Finally I agree also that there is no rule about taking public transport, I bet there were very many of the original pilgrims only to happy to sit on the back of a donkey cart when the need arose. Good Luck. Don't give up, give it another try

What are the weather conditions and did those conditions play a big part?

er Aulbury, post: 478093, member: 31811"]Hi Paintboy2, great advice for the Yorkshire pilgrim, thanks on behalf of all pilgrims. I just had a total knee replacement, last Nov...and just emailed my surgeon to ask him if I was crazy to think of an 800km Camino in May-June. That would be 6 months post op for me. I was intrigued to read that you had knee surgery 3 months prior to your camino. Do you mind me asking what you had done. I'm still awaiting the reply from my surgeon, he'll be back to work on this Tuesday coming (2 days). I've been able to get on my bike and ride a bit and doing lots of walks but only maybe 4km so far. My op[ was 9 weeks ago last Wednesday.[/QUOTE]
Hi Peter, I had arthroscopic surgery on my left knee. I took it slow and had no problems that couldn't be well managed with anti iinflamitory medication. I didn'tmention that my right knee has almost no ccartilage and no ACL. it'sa 40 year old injury that I live with. TAKE IT SLOW. STEP CAREFULLY. You will know best if your up to it.

I sorry to hear about your mishaps, as been said take a little break and enjoy the moment a little, as you do that check out your shoes and maybe think about replacing it, short of you having balance issues if your shoes is that slippery on wet stone find one that has more grip, some hiking shoes are notorious for wet stone mishaps most running shoes fits this category but all of then
Zzotte

Last year I was about a third of the way into my first Camino (CF). I was suffering from sever knee pain; it was like a giant tooth ache. By chance, I switched from boots to hiking sandals, and my knee pain went away. This year, my primary foot wear will be the same hiking sandals I used last year. I will also wear my boots, mostly in the evenings (which is ironic since I brought the sandals thinking I would use them in the evenings). When you think about it, many ancient people used sandals. Wishing you well, Buen Camino.

Walking sticks? Maybe reeval your shoes? Take a couple days off to really heal and regroup mentally, meditate, fill your mind with peace and talk to others. A Camino is YOUR journey. A day at a time.

Dig deep.....the rewards ahead will banish all 'I can't continue' thoughts and feelings......I walked Lisbon to Santiago in 2015...... I will walk it again.

Hi Yorkshire Pilgrim. Walking poles a real asset to relieve stress & strain on knee and ankle joints. Also magnesium to relieve/avoid cramps and drink plenty of water. Bananas are great as well as electrolytes. Pharmacy will help you with magnesium and also perhaps a cream for the bruising. Take your time and rest when possible. Also the one piece of advice is to stop when you sre going to do anything other than walking. Having a drink, stop. Taking a photo, stop. Someone calls out to you, Stop, before turning. Want to get something from the side of your backpack, Stop. It is so easy to twist a knee, ankle or fall even on smooth surfaces. So remember to Stop. Buen Camino and blessings as you journey along the Way continues.
Bravo! Well said.

I'm new to the forum, but so far in all that I've read online I've seen no mention of finding cold laser treatments along the way. They're cheap, safe and I'm hoping are available somewhere along the way. They make a profound difference in my knee. Have you sought out this possibility?

Have not walked the Camino yet, dream trip. However, I do a lot of hiking and I would heartily recommend that you get your knee(s) looked at by a specialist. If they are injured and you continue to walk on them, you may be a candidate for a knee replacement. Not a fun event. I have had 4, all on the same knee. First one the glue stopped working...

You may not have a problem, and if so rest and follow the docs advice as you walk. But, better to be safe than sorry and do some real damage. Sorry to sound negative but been there and had that done!

Good luck and I hope all turns out well.

What were you drinking.mmm

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

So until NEXT TIME
Thank you everyone

I think that you made the right decision. My recommendation for the next time is to rest the day (or more for others who will fly across multiple time zones ---aka jet lag) before you start. Then for the first day to travel far less than you have trained for. Focus on sports recovery as you are effectively training for either a marathon or half marathon but a walking one with many days of long distance training.

The key to training recovery is stretching, massage, rest, and proper nutrition. At each major break you should do some stretching and take a recovery (protein/carb mix) meal. If you do that eat well, stay hydrated with lots of mineral salts and electrolytes your next Camino will probably be much easier.

https://run.mcmillanrunning.com/the-runners-ultimate-nutritional-recovery-routine-runrr/

P.S. Depending on your age, you will need different amount of "rest days" and light exercise days. Most long distance master runners require 2 rest days a week to keep going week after week. Some younger runners can get by with a rest day and a light exercise day a week. Pacing yourself for the entire Camino is important.

Good luck.

I think that you made the right decision. My recommendation for the next time is to rest the day (or more for others who will fly across multiple time zones ---aka jet lag) before you start. Then for the first day to travel far less than you have trained for. Focus on sports recovery as you are effectively training for either a marathon or half marathon but a walking one with many days of long distance training.

The key to training recovery is stretching, massage, rest, and proper nutrition. At each major break you should do some stretching and take a recovery (protein/carb mix) meal. If you do that eat well, stay hydrated with lots of mineral salts and electrolytes your next Camino will probably be much easier.

https://run.mcmillanrunning.com/the-runners-ultimate-nutritional-recovery-routine-runrr/

P.S. Depending on your age, you will need different amount of "rest days" and light exercise days. Most long distance master runners require 2 rest days a week to keep going week after week. Some younger runners can get by with a rest day and a light exercise day a week. Pacing yourself for the entire Camino is important.

Good luck.
Apart from my humor previous.
I am sitting here feeling very sad for you.please have another go some time.
This affects me as I am 68 and never done much walking but am training for the camino 16th August this year and this story could easily be me .
Good luck and God bless.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I remember my 2nd Camino back in 2013, aches, pains and injuries that i had never experienced the first time..And all within the first week as well! I still look back on that experience as a most challenging time for me.. I think i was looking to re-capture or continue on from my first Camino but it wasnt to be..
Good news was Camino 3 on the Portuguese was injury free, mentally, emotionally and physically a whole different experience...
Each Camino is different , we are different , always changing , each time starting again ...The camino welcomes us back and gives us exactly what we need .. Buen Camino, Rob..

Maybe you need to take a rest even for a day in a nice comfortable Albergue. Have you thought of using walking sticks? They do help esp when it's raining and slippery. Good luck and Buen Camino.

I remember my 2nd Camino back in 2013, aches, pains and injuries that i had never experienced the first time..And all within the first week as well! I still look back on that experience as a most challenging time for me.. I think i was looking to re-capture or continue on from my first Camino but it wasnt to be..
Good news was Camino 3 on the Portuguese was injury free, mentally, emotionally and physically a whole different experience...
Each Camino is different , we are different , always changing , each time starting again ...The camino welcomes us back and gives us exactly what we need .. Buen Camino, Rob..
Hi Rob, after doing 2 x CF's, I'm considering walking the Portugese, I understand there is a standard route and a lonelier coastal route, and a short and long version (starting either Lisbon or Porto). Can you recommend any route? I really liked the Cf, and am worried that pilgrims and infrastructure will be sparse on the Portugese, do you have any comments about that?...thanks...Peter

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
...Also Rob, someone said that the Portugese consists of a lot of highway walking, is that true, in your experience?

Sounds to me like you are not prepared for the camino. many for sure will tell you to rest , drink this, drink that, etc. My take on this is that you SHOULD GO TO A DR., and get evaluated. The desire to do El Camino should not come before your health. The cramps seem like excessive sweating that makes you lose potassium. I am not a Dr. but there is a beverage similar to Gatorade called Acuario. However, please see the Doctor.

Hi Rob, after doing 2 x CF's, I'm considering walking the Portugese, I understand there is a standard route and a lonelier coastal route, and a short and long version (starting either Lisbon or Porto). Can you recommend any route? I really liked the Cf, and am worried that pilgrims and infrastructure will be sparse on the Portugese, do you have any comments about that?...thanks...Peter
Hey Peter, Porto to Santiago for me was about 12 days.. I took the central (traditional route) which for me was fantastic , loved it! Plenty of infrastructure towns/Albergues etc.. Stay close to the Cathedral in Porto as its quite a winding steep trek out of the city then suburbs which turn into industry.. However hitting the rural outskirts is a welcome relief before arriving in the little hamlet of Monstiero de Vairo..( About 23 km) Formerly a Benedictine Convent and a huge one at that, now serves Pilgrims as an Albergue.. Well at least part of it.. About 50 beds on 3 floors.. Great atmosphere and character.. The thing is if you opt to take the alternative coastal route out of Porto you will miss this Gem!
Lisbon to Porto i attempted 2 years ago as retired hurt due to a nasty bee sting reaction.. However my observations on parts of the route i did walk was, its quiet , less infrastructure and lots of road walking! Leaving Lisbon it was at least 2 days before i saw another Pilgrim..

...Also Rob, someone said that the Portugese consists of a lot of highway walking, is that true, in your experience?
Hi peter , Lisbon to Porto yes a lot of hard tarmac walking... However Porto to Santiago much less so.. For me i prefer the standard route out of Porto.. I have actually walked both and much prefer the standard /traditional route.. Of course if you are desperate to see a beach and dont mind walking along miles and miles of beach-side boulevard with high rise apartments to your right and colourful umbrellas to your left then go for it ..

Stick with it Brother. I did Lisbon to SDC last May and June. The first few days are the worst. It improves after Tomar. I know the distances in the first week nearly beat me. I know your pain. We are with you. Larry Terrance

This is what the OP has said:

i have sort of taken a rest day and taken the train to Tomar (cant believe how cheap rail travel is in portugal) and looking at the hills out of here for the next few days i may just do the same tomorrow .Its not what i wanted to do but i just need to step back look at things realisticly and i think this is the best thing for me for the next day or two

So it seems she has taken the train to Tomar and may continue that way.

My mom always said: "have a nice cup of tea, rest a bit and carry on with a calm spirit. You'll see the sun coming up again tomorrow. Try some extra salt on your food for the cramps and if you have sandals rather wear them with thicker, or 2 pairs, of socks instead of boots. Soak your feet in salt water when you arrive at your next stop. Hope your face is OK.

Awe sorry to hear you're having it rough.my Portuguese camino was my worst and unluckiest to date.Lol but I'm still alive.plug on you will be proud of yourself at the end. Better days ahead.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As others have said, a good pair of trekking poles can make a big difference. take some rest and then reassess. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello everyone
,i have been hiding away literally embarrassed at failing this journey,and think its only fair that i let you know what else happened.
As per my previous posts i made the decision to call it a day ,which was the right thing for me,my knee was cut and badly bruised even "with" sticks it was too much and after took a few weeks to heal up .
For financial reasons i decided to head back to my brothers in Valencia Spain before heading back home to the uk,but things didnt get any better on the trip to his.
I got to oporto using the cheap portuguese trains and then my luck went downhill again,first i found a coach station and the only affordable way i could get to valencia was by coach via Madrid so i found the coach station and booked a ticket ,the first available was the next morning,so i went into the city to find the cheapest bed i could but those i could afford were full ,even the bomberos had no room so i had to spend a cold wet night on the streets eventually finding a bus shelter to sit down in and rest,i couldnt sleep to be honest i was too scared . The next morning i got on the coach to madrid which took about 8 or 9 hours ,it was about 8.30pm when i got there at least the coach was warm and comfortable.At madrid coach station i then had to quickly get a coach to Valencia which left about 9 oclock and was due to arrive at 1 am .To avoid my brother having to come out and pick me up at silly oclock in the morning i got him to find me an hostal that was open 24hrs ,which he did and the advertised price was 11 euros which i could just manage,Needlesss to say i slept most of the journey waking about 1 am no sign of valencia it was thick fog and the coach was delayed,finally arriving at about 2.30am i set about trying to find the hostal,now i'm quite familiar with Valencia but only in the daytime and at 2.30am in the dark and fog its a totally different place nothing looked familiar,
It took me another hour to find the place .But it didnt end there they wanted 15 euros ,maybe its because im a yorkshire man but i wasnt prepared to pay that just for a few hours sleep, The train to my brothers town started running at 05.50 so once again the streets became my home ,i bumped into an american student on his way home from a night on the town who very kindly took me to a 24 hour bakers/cafe where we spent an hour or so before i finally got the metro to my brothers arriving just as he and the family were waking up. A few cups of coffee later i finally got to lay in a comfey bed not waking until 6pm..
It was an experience/adventure but not one i would like to repeat.
Will i consider doing another camino YES
But unlike when i did the camino Frances in 2015 when something inside was telling me it was something i had to do the Portuguese way obviously was not meant to be .

So glad to hear you are safe and sound. Thank you for letting us know. Remember though this was not a failure. You did what you could do. You had/have nothing to prove to anyone. Stay positive. Life will bring you back to the Camino when you are ready. Buen Camino and pilgrim blessings for a full recovery.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So glad to hear you are safe and sound. Thank you for letting us know. Remember though this was not a failure. You did what you could do. You had/have nothing to prove to anyone. Stay positive. Life will bring you back to the Camino when you are ready. Buen Camino and pilgrim blessings for a full recovery.
You Yorkshiremen are tough. I love it.Never beaten. You will be back.Well done for overcoming.

Well said!
Buen (next) Camino, pilgrim! :)

Dear @yorkshirepilgrim glad to hear you are OK now. I beg you please bring more of a contingency fund next time you do a camino! It's really not safe to sleep on the streets in major cities. People go on about 'the camino provides' - it does, to a point. I like your style in trying the fire station though! I must remember that one ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I feel for you, mate!. What you have been through is emotionally and physically daunting! It's good to see that you remained positive throughout your experience. It's a bit scary, just thinking about what you have been through. I feel small when I compare my trivial experiences and inconvenience on the Camino and the world in general to the difficulties you encountered. You are a true pilgrim who should be praised and admired. You are an inspiration. I will think of your experience and resolve as I prepare to leave for my third Camino in 4 days time.
The Camino will always be there for us all... and it will be waiting once you have made a full recovery. Always, always ask for assistance whenever possible. So many people will always be happy to help someone in need. I am just one of millions!
Buen Camino, Peregrino!

the Portuguese way obviously was not meant to be .

I am really sorry, yorkshirepilgrim. I only just saw the other day your old post back in December asking where to buy walking poles in Lisbon, so it is not like you went unprepared. All I can say is, maybe that's fate, which is another way of saying what you said - maybe the Portugues really was not meant to be for you, at least this time... Best of luck with your next Camino!

There is no failure here, just experience. Duncan

I feel for you, mate!. What you have been through is emotionally and physically daunting! It's good to see that you remained positive throughout your experience. It's a bit scary, just thinking about what you have been through. I feel small when I compare my trivial experiences and inconvenience on the Camino and the world in general to the difficulties you encountered. You are a true pilgrim who should be praised and admired. You are an inspiration. I will think of your experience and resolve as I prepare to leave for my third Camino in 4 days time.
The Camino will always be there for us all... and it will be waiting once you have made a full recovery. Always, always ask for assistance whenever possible. So many people will always be happy to help someone in need. I am just one of millions!
Buen Camino, Peregrino!
Hi Angelo, Nice response! I see you're still walking! We started our first Camino together but you were long gone before I finished. I see you are hooked like me because, like you, I am looking forward to my third Camino in July. Buen Camino

Thanks Chris! I sent you a PM. Fancy hearing from you again after 2014! Cheers!

Apologies to the Moderators.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello everyone
,i have been hiding away literally embarrassed at failing this journey,and think its only fair that i let you know what else happened.
As per my previous posts i made the decision to call it a day ,which was the right thing for me,my knee was cut and badly bruised even "with" sticks it was too much and after took a few weeks to heal up .
For financial reasons i decided to head back to my brothers in Valencia Spain before heading back home to the uk,but things didnt get any better on the trip to his.
I got to oporto using the cheap portuguese trains and then my luck went downhill again,first i found a coach station and the only affordable way i could get to valencia was by coach via Madrid so i found the coach station and booked a ticket ,the first available was the next morning,so i went into the city to find the cheapest bed i could but those i could afford were full ,even the bomberos had no room so i had to spend a cold wet night on the streets eventually finding a bus shelter to sit down in and rest,i couldnt sleep to be honest i was too scared . The next morning i got on the coach to madrid which took about 8 or 9 hours ,it was about 8.30pm when i got there at least the coach was warm and comfortable.At madrid coach station i then had to quickly get a coach to Valencia which left about 9 oclock and was due to arrive at 1 am .To avoid my brother having to come out and pick me up at silly oclock in the morning i got him to find me an hostal that was open 24hrs ,which he did and the advertised price was 11 euros which i could just manage,Needlesss to say i slept most of the journey waking about 1 am no sign of valencia it was thick fog and the coach was delayed,finally arriving at about 2.30am i set about trying to find the hostal,now i'm quite familiar with Valencia but only in the daytime and at 2.30am in the dark and fog its a totally different place nothing looked familiar,
It took me another hour to find the place .But it didnt end there they wanted 15 euros ,maybe its because im a yorkshire man but i wasnt prepared to pay that just for a few hours sleep, The train to my brothers town started running at 05.50 so once again the streets became my home ,i bumped into an american student on his way home from a night on the town who very kindly took me to a 24 hour bakers/cafe where we spent an hour or so before i finally got the metro to my brothers arriving just as he and the family were waking up. A few cups of coffee later i finally got to lay in a comfey bed not waking until 6pm..
It was an experience/adventure but not one i would like to repeat.
Will i consider doing another camino YES
But unlike when i did the camino Frances in 2015 when something inside was telling me it was something i had to do the Portuguese way obviously was not meant to be .
Why do you think you failed? You didn't fail!
You overcame so much to get to your brother's place, you faced down cold, fog, darkness, and comfort.
You met kindness in the student who took you to the café.
You were scared, tired, in pain, and you kept going.
Santiago de Compestela was not your final destination on this Camino, but it may be on the next.
I say "BRAVO!" You did it! Buen Camino, little brother.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back