• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A few drops of rain won't harm you!

John Finn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances - Sarria to Santiago (2013), Burgos to Leon (2014), St Jean Pied de Port to Logrono (2015), Logrono to Burgos (2016), Leon to Sarria (May 2017).
Walking from Logrono to Najera today I came across several walkers in full poncho mode. One guy even had a rainproof overtrousers on. Torrential rain? Not at all. The weather was overcast and blustery and there were a few drops of rain but nothing serious. Why do some people break out all their rain gear at the merest hint of precipitation? Are they afraid they might melt? Or are they doing it to amuse the rest of us? Anyway, it was a very enjoyable trek on this my first day of my short Logrono to Burgos stage. Great respect as usual to everyone doing the full Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had a similar experience last fall on the Camino and just enjoyed the drizzle and the moment. It was very liberating to just embrace it. My quick drying tee was all I needed! Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Maybe for the same reason that some people keep their umbrella opened even when rain stopped more than 5 minutes ago...
Sometimes when you are under an umbrella, you don't immediately realize that the rain has stopped!

Last edited:
I had a similar experience last year when walking from Santiago to Negreira. I met a group of men in expensive and new-looking gear - ponchos, waterproof trousers, day packs and very clean hiking boots. Yes it was raining, but not disastrously so. This was funny enough, but the icing on the cake was when they insisted on huddling in a bus shelter to stay dry. I bid them farewell at that stage!

To be fair, I suppose it depends to some extent on background. Some of us are very used to rain, and even like it. In anything less than torrential rain, I very happily wear a light jacket and shorts - which others have found amusing.

Buen Camino John, hope you have an enjoyable and not too rainy walk!

Sometimes when you are under an umbrella, you don't immediately realize that the rain gas stopped!

Yes but looking around you and seeing you are the only one who keeps the umbrella opened should give you a hint...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked in cold, wind-driven rain today for 4 hours to Carrión. It didn't start out that way. .... cloudy, but dry, then a few drops, then the downpour. So at some point you have to make the decision as to when to put on the gear. I'd rather have it on and then realize it was not needed than the other way around.

I live in the mountains at 1500 mtrs (5000 ft) when it starts sprinkling here it is frequently followed by the sky opening up and dumping a large amount of rain. Perhaps they are planning ahead.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
OK, I come from near Seattle Washington and am pretty use to rain, I've trained in it and have gear for it. But in my biking form Burgos to Formista today, I saw a black cloud and squall line headed for me. I went into a bar, ordered an sandwich and nursed two cups of coffee until it passed. It was very heavy rain!

I am a little concerned about the weather forecast for the next week as it looks cool, rainy and windy for the most part. That is not fun biking weather and it adds to risks of accident on roads. I have the option of taking roads if the trail is too muddy, but many walkers might not feel that way.

Right now I will keep going and try to keep to my schedule. But with 3 flex days left, I am a little concerned about some of the mountain crossings.

Rain gear is used as a hardshell. A hardshell is worn as a rain and wind barrier as the outermost layer in a good layer system. Maybe they were wearing a hardshell because it was blustery and they were trying to stay warm. Or, they were trolling for someone to notice their poncho and see how confused they could make them.

Yes but looking around you and seeing you are the only one who keeps the umbrella opened should give you a hint...
usually, when I'm on the Camino, I'm the only one around! And certainly the only one with an umbrella!

OK, I come from near Seattle Washington and am pretty use to rain, I've trained in it and have gear for it. But in my biking form Burgos to Formista today, I saw a black cloud and squall line headed for me. I went into a bar, ordered an sandwich and nursed two cups of coffee until it passed. It was very heavy rain!

I am a little concerned about the weather forecast for the next week as it looks cool, rainy and windy for the most part. That is not fun biking weather and it adds to risks of accident on roads. I have the option of taking roads if the trail is too muddy, but many walkers might not feel that way.

Right now I will keep going and try to keep to my schedule. But with 3 flex days left, I am a little concerned about some of the mountain crossings.
I have just watched the Spanish TV - ( TVE )an the forecast is rain until Thursday!

usually, when I'm on the Camino, I'm the only one around! And certainly the only one with an umbrella!
I'm tempted to take my umbrella, but it doesn't have the long stem. I would use it for the hot sun, also.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Had plenty of rain last month. A good rain jacket with a hood and quick dry hiking pants (or rain pants) worked just fine. Used my poncho once and didn't feel like I kept that much drier.

I like to have my hands free so wouldn't carry an umbrella. I only saw a few on the Camino. I did see a couple of broken ones abandoned beside the trail. Most of the umbrellas were in towns carried by locals.

I have used my umbrella more against the sun and heat, than against the rain! In any case, ever since I started to take an umbrella with me, I certainly wouldn't be without.

Walking from Logrono to Najera today I came across several walkers in full poncho mode. One guy even had a rainproof overtrousers on. Torrential rain? Not at all. The weather was overcast and blustery and there were a few drops of rain but nothing serious. Why do some people break out all their rain gear at the merest hint of precipitation? Are they afraid they might melt? Or are they doing it to amuse the rest of us? ....
Having been introduced to hiking in the mountains in a temperate clime, I am sure I recall being admonished by a guide book to don rain gear at the first sign of rain. In other words, "Don't get wet." Wet = cold, cold = hypothermia, hypothermia = potential problems. Perhaps the persons you refer to were of that mind set and hadn't yet made the transition to not having to worry about getting wet by relatively 'warm' rain. In any event - no offence - but let's be kind and let people deal with rain whichever way they see fit.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you work outside the weather does not effect a person as it does those who work inside, it matters not as we each will respond what is appropriate to ourselves.
In regards to rain/cold wind the best thing I took was a pair of waterproof insulated gloves. I have no experience with umbrellas, won't they get broken in a high wind? How does one determine what is a good one?

Yes if you get unlucky crossing Ocebrio in heavy rain stay on the roads but I hope you have hi vis & good lights. I can't think it would be worse than Seattle riding other than the elevation & steep ride.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Walking from Logrono to Najera today I came across several walkers in full poncho mode. One guy even had a rainproof overtrousers on. Torrential rain? Not at all. The weather was overcast and blustery and there were a few drops of rain but nothing serious. Why do some people break out all their rain gear at the merest hint of precipitation? Are they afraid they might melt? Or are they doing it to amuse the rest of us? Anyway, it was a very enjoyable trek on this my first day of my short Logrono to Burgos stage. Great respect as usual to everyone doing the full Camino.

I break out my rain gear in a drizzle because my bones ache when I get cold.
Everyone has different tolerance levels to variants of weather.

If you work outside the weather does not effect a person as it does those who work inside, it matters not as we each will respond what is appropriate to ourselves.
In regards to rain/cold wind the best thing I took was a pair of waterproof insulated gloves. I have no experience with umbrellas, won't they get broken in a high wind? How does one determine what is a good one?

I actually use my umbrella as a wind shield.
The stick umbrellas are much stronger than the collapsible kind in my experience.
I love my umbrella! For wind, rain, and especially sun!
I'm walking many degrees cooler in the shade.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've been caught out too often. 'Meh its just a drizzle and will pass soon' ... only it doesn't and before you know it you are soaked. At which point hypothermia becomes an issue ...

Then, on those occasions when I have put on the poncho and it does stop ... and start ... and stop ... I just can't be bothered to haul off my pack ... set it in the mud ... and put the poncho away.

There is a secret to staying dry: Don't ... Get ... Wet.

It can be a cultural thing....

I call my wife my 'Siamese Cat'. Like most cats she hates getting wet. Why Siamese? She is from Thailand. ....

After 2 decades together I now get it....

If she gets wet. ....she catches a cold. Every time:eek:

So as the first sign of rain....all the gear goes on :rolleyes:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Us Irish - sure we never get wet. Experts at dodging raindrops :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you run, do you miss more rain drops???
My 80 year old mum plays golf (in Ireland) every Thursday and has done for the last 40 years. She has yet to admit getting wet whilst out on the course!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Thank you for this comment. It made me realize I didn't explain what I meant well-enough so, please, excuse me for it. The previous comments I made about umbrella(s) on this thread weren't made thinking about people using an umbrella when it rains on the camino but thinking about people that use it in their home city even it's been a long time since the rest of the people don't use it anymore (because rain cesed). I guessed the latter group may have a someway similar reasoning than some of those using rain gear on the camino at the merest hint of rain (i.e.: an it may rain again -or rain with more intensity- at short notice reasoning).

Why do some people walk without rain gear when it is raining?

Some of them because it's their first rain in the camino and just realized they forgot their rain gear...

Why do some people walk without rain gear when it is raining? Are they too lazy to change? Or think it looks uncool?

I would suspect some people will do ANYTHING to lighten their pack and didn't bring any.

There is a prayer from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy that does apply:

"‘Protect me from knowing what I don’t need to know. Protect me from even knowing that there are things to know that I don’t know. Protect me from knowing that I decided not to know about the things that I decided not to know about. Amen.’
There’s another prayer that goes with it that’s very important. … 'Lord, lord, lord. Protect me from the consequences of the above prayer. Amen’
And that’s it. Most of the trouble people get into in life comes from leaving out that last part." Arthur Dent's personal prayer in 'Mostly Harmless' written by Douglas Adams

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this really a thread? Did I really just read it?
Me too!! My wife and I were walking from Puente de Reina, and while there was some light rain for less than an hour, there were strong winds all day. There was no way I was going to take off my windproof rain jacket.

BTW, the most miserable sight the previous day was the pilgrim walking in shorts in the driving rain. At least he had a really light pack.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
John, to each their own Camino, I guess...

Didn't you know that Irish and British people talk a LOT about the weather? It's a national pastime in both territories :)

Raining in south England today,how's the weather with you Nuala ? :)

After walking around Pamplona, I went to dinner and when I came out, it was dark and raining. Ugh, how to get back to my pension? I ducked into a farmacia and asked if they had any umbrellas and she said no. Then she went to the back and came back with one which she gave me and said, "uñ regalo." Do people like her know how they changed your life? I couldn't stop smiling as I walked thru the rain back to my place.

Getting rained on sucks. I don't like it. Don't like wet gear. Didn't like it when I was in the military and swore I'd never be out in it again if I didn't have to. Still, have found myself out in it at work, while messing around in the woods and on the Camino. Naturally I bust out the rain jacket I have been hauling around for just such and event! Maybe that's what they were doing? They hauled the rain gear around, may as well wear it, right?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Getting rained on sucks. I don't like it. Don't like wet gear. Didn't like it when I was in the military and swore I'd never be out in it again if I didn't have to. Still, have found myself out in it at work, while messing around in the woods and on the Camino. Naturally I bust out the rain jacket I have been hauling around for just such and event! Maybe that's what they were doing? They hauled the rain gear around, may as well wear it, right?
Yep sleeping in the mud in a place not your choice vs a down pour on the Camino smiling the whole way!!!!!!

Sometimes it's just easier to put your rain gear on during a "rainy day" in case of heavy rainfall later rather than take it off and on all day.

How snarky and judgemental. We all walk our own Camino. Do,yours and be greatful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm actually really curious about the rain in Spain (I swear I'm not starting a My Fair Lady "bit"! lol)

I'm from Vancouver Canada, and here the rain is often cold and long-lasting. Like, if it's raining in the morning, it will likely be raining all day.

When I went to France last summer (near Lyon), I was shocked to experience many warm brief (under 20mins) rain showers. Even when there was lightening/thunder, the rain was short! :eek: I only wore my rain coat twice all summer, and on the second day, I ended up carrying it more than half the time. The other days, I just let it rain on me and was soon dry again after the rain stopped and the hot sun came back out.

My question is: Is Spain similar to France, as far as rain? Or more similar to Vancouver?

Yes, I'm one of those people who would rather get slightly wet a couple times than carry a useless coat my entire Camino... Pack weight and all... ;)

P.S. For context, I'm doing Primitivo in June-July 2016. (Yay!!)

Being from Oregon, a part the Pacific Northwest I'm pretty sure I was born in the rain. I think we get only 150 days of sunshine a year and half of us can't wait for summer to be over. Couldn't tell you the last time I used an umbrella, I've always just thrown my hood up and got soaked. With that said I'll be carrying a lightweight poncho JUST IN CASE somebody else needs to use it ;)

I'm actually really curious about the rain in Spain (I swear I'm not starting a My Fair Lady "bit"! lol)

My question is: Is Spain similar to France, as far as rain? Or more similar to Vancouver?

My experience in spring and late fall is that Galicia is a lot like Vancouver.

I walked from Logrono to Burgos last week and there was only one day of heavy rain - from Ages into Burgos. It rained heavily until about midday. My backpack has an inbuilt rain cover so of course I used that to keep it and its contents dry. To protect myself I used a lightweight Regatta rain-proof jacket with hood that I bought a few years ago for €10. That's all you need, in my view, to protect you from even the heaviest downpours (last year I walked from SJPP to Roncesvalles in high winds and driving rain using the same gear). Sure my legs got wet but I didn't mind that. By the time I'd reached Burgos they were dry. Some people go the whole hog and don ponchos, over-trousers and gaiters. Not necessary in my view.

Umbrellas? nah.. that means you coudn't use good walking poles, which will help you every step of the way...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I'm from Vancouver Canada, and here the rain is often cold and long-lasting. Like, if it's raining in the morning, it will likely be raining all day.

When I went to France last summer (near Lyon), I was shocked to experience many warm brief (under 20mins) rain showers. Even when there was lightening/thunder, the rain was short! :eek: I only wore my rain coat twice all summer, and on the second day, I ended up carrying it more than half the time. The other days, I just let it rain on me and was soon dry again after the rain stopped and the hot sun came back out.

Yes, I'm one of those people who would rather get slightly wet a couple times than carry a useless coat my entire Camino... Pack weight and all... ;)

In Galicia the rain comes in by squalls. You'll see black clouds moving toward you giving about a half hour notice. Then the sky opens up. Streets become ankle deep rivers in about 5 minutes. Then it stops about 10 minutes later. I was on camino late October and early December so I can't speak to hot sun. I recall one day where it gently rained all day and turned the camino to mud. I stopped using sun block mid November. So no ... its not like Vancouver (or perhaps more accurately ... my home on Vancouver Island). Overall though its warmer and drier than Vancouver is in late fall.

Hiking the AT has taught me not to even try to keep dry when hiking in the rain. I line my backpack with a heavy duty trash bag to keep the stuff dry on the inside, and use a pack cover to keep the backpack from getting soaked and weighing a ton. When I get where I am going, I change into my extra dry clothes and enjoy a nice sleep in my waterproof tent or shelter :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked from Logrono to Burgos last week and there was only one day of heavy rain - from Ages into Burgos. It rained heavily until about midday. My backpack has an inbuilt rain cover so of course I used that to keep it and its contents dry. To protect myself I used a lightweight Regatta rain-proof jacket with hood that I bought a few years ago for €10. That's all you need, in my view, to protect you from even the heaviest downpours (last year I walked from SJPP to Roncesvalles in high winds and driving rain using the same gear). Sure my legs got wet but I didn't mind that. By the time I'd reached Burgos they were dry. Some people go the whole hog and don ponchos, over-trousers and gaiters. Not necessary in my view.
Yes, I'm definitely taking a pack cover in any case! I hear you re: legs. I used to bike to college in a rain jacket, shorts and tevas in the rain, and all my classmates laughed at me... Until they had to sit in their sopping wet jeans and runners all day, and I was dry minutes after arriving... ;) I still ditch pants while walking on rainy days in Vancouver. Although now I'm more likely to wear skirts than shorts (and tights for warmth--they dry fast too). :)

In Galicia the rain comes in by squalls. You'll see black clouds moving toward you giving about a half hour notice. Then the sky opens up. Streets become ankle deep rivers in about 5 minutes. Then it stops about 10 minutes later. I was on camino late October and early December so I can't speak to hot sun. I recall one day where it gently rained all day and turned the camino to mud. I stopped using sun block mid November. So no ... its not like Vancouver (or perhaps more accurately ... my home on Vancouver Island). Overall though its warmer and drier than Vancouver is in late fall.
VERY useful answer. Thank you very much! :)

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back