• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Painters Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2022
I’ll be starting the Camino Frances next year in April 2020 right after Easter. Luckily, I’m very flexible timewise. Ideally, I would start as soon as the traditional path through Pyrenees is open. I’ve been actually thinking about this for probably 20 years, when I first read an article in the Sunday New York Times about the Camino. Distractions, and other things I wanted to do got in the way, and so here I am.

I’m an artist and oil painter by vocation, and the purpose of most of my travel is to go somewhere and paint outdoors. l’ve spent a lot of time planning and doing research, and started with the idea of walking the Camino with my paints, and maybe a cart. Or using the courier services. ( someone recently did this with a donkey! ) But now I think my plan will be to do a pure walking Camino without my painting equipment, which is heavy. After I’m done, I will rent a car , and drive back to the beginning and spend a month or more painting all the wonderful things I’ll have seen. This way, I’ll have a more informed idea of what I actually want to paint before I start doing it.

First I go to Madrid on April 1, to see the great art museums and do some sketching there and maybe in Toledo. I have to leave April 1, because I’ll be subletting my apartment for three months, (If anybody wants to spend three months in Maine, USA, this spring🤪).

I have many questions and will be seeking advice on the forum in detail in the next few weeks. Great to find such a wonderful community here.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m very flexible timewise. Ideally, I would start as soon as the traditional path through Pyrenees is open.
The "Napoleon route" is off limits from 1/Nov. to 31/Mar. After that, access to the route is weather dependent. (Source: Gronze. If this is inaccurate, someone will certainly point to the correct information). So, if you're keen to walk that way, you can head to SJPP and wait for the weather to clear. Having said that, many people enthuse about the other routes across the Pyrenees - e.g. via Valcarios (also departing from SJPP) or the Baztan route (departing from Bayonne). There are endless threads on the merits of these options and the preferences of the people who walk them. Don't worry too much about making the right choice - It's all good.

I hope you'll be able to pack something that allows you to express yourself during your walk - It's likely that you'll find some moments of inspiration when you'll be glad to have even a sketchbook and pencil if you can't carry a full painting kit. Please share something with the community here - You'll find an appreciative public.

A sketchbook, fountain pen, soluble graphite pencil and water brush are “essential” items for me. I also am more than happy to carry a luxury item - small watercolour palette.
You could start out with a notebook and if you find you don’t use it you could always leave it behind or post it to the end - but I doubt that will be necessary.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Say hello to the Pero at the Prada for me, and of course Jimmy when you get there.

I am glad you have chosen to give yourself over to the walk itself and leave the heavy art supplies behind. Sometimes it's just being in the moment that makes the trip.

My favourite memory of the Camino is in the point in the morning when the sun floods across the fields and hits you with a warm blast of golden light. We would have been walking for awhile and the foot pains have begun and thoughts of coffee are stirring. It's later then sunrise, and typically it's the time you are wondering why you are doing this. Then you look up and see your love watching the golden glow envelop you. It's not something I could ever capture in an image.

Perhaps your skills are more developed and you will be able to depict your impressions of your Camino when you return to work on your paintings. I wish you all the best.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I hope you'll be able to pack something that allows you to express yourself during your walk - It's likely that you'll find some moments of inspiration when you'll be glad to have even a sketchbook and pencil if you can't carry a full painting kit.
A sketchbook, fountain pen, soluble graphite pencil and water brush are “essential” items for me. I also am more than happy to carry a luxury item - small watercolour palette.
You could start out with a notebook and if you find you don’t use it you could always leave it behind or post it to the end - but I doubt that will be necessary.
I think that is a great idea - to walk the camino first and go back to paint! Maybe a small sketch pad would help remind you of places to come back to.

I’ll definitely have a sketchbook and lightweight watercolors with me for the walking part of my camino. But for my more serious work during the painting part, I prefer to paint in oil paint. And even though I have quite light weight painting equipment for travel, I like to paint on wooden panels and those are very heavy. So best to have a mechanical “donkey” with me to help me carry it.

I am glad you have chosen to give yourself over to the walk itself and leave the heavy art supplies behind. Sometimes it's just being in the moment that makes the trip.
That is exactly what I decided. As I thought about this journey more, I realized I wanted the spiritual and social experience of the Camino just as much as I wanted to paint it. Of course I’ll be doing some sketching along the way, but I know myself, and if I have my serious painting kit with me everything will be subsumed to that.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Happy painting/drawing and Buen Camino! I think your idea of first walking and sketching it and then driving and oil painting it is an excellent one!
BC SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I’ll be starting the Camino Frances next year in April 2020 right after Easter. Luckily, I’m very flexible timewise. Ideally, I would start as soon as the traditional path through Pyrenees is open. I’ve been actually thinking about this for probably 20 years, when I first read an article in the Sunday New York Times about the Camino. Distractions, and other things I wanted to do got in the way, and so here I am.

I’m an artist and oil painter by vocation, and the purpose of most of my travel is to go somewhere and paint outdoors. l’ve spent a lot of time planning and doing research, and started with the idea of walking the Camino with my paints, and maybe a cart. Or using the courier services. ( someone recently did this with a donkey! ) But now I think my plan will be to do a pure walking Camino without my painting equipment, which is heavy. After I’m done, I will rent a car , and drive back to the beginning and spend a month or more painting all the wonderful things I’ll have seen. This way, I’ll have a more informed idea of what I actually want to paint before I start doing it.

First I go to Madrid on April 1, to see the great art museums and do some sketching there and maybe in Toledo. I have to leave April 1, because I’ll be subletting my apartment for three months, (If anybody wants to spend three months in Maine, USA, this spring🤪).

I have many questions and will be seeking advice on the forum in detail in the next few weeks. Great to find such a wonderful community here.
Hello from Freeport! Feel free to private message me for a chat!

Make sure you post pictures of your paintings here on the forum. Another artist member does this (a chap called Weiho) and receives enthusiastic approbation.

I always take with me my sketchbook and watercolors. And always want to draw my diary. And never did it 😇
Actually, some days I could manage to draw, but never on a daily basis (cold, rain, tired...).
It will be a pleasure to see your art!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I met an art class of about 20 students from Norway on the Sanabres. They all were drawing and painting as they walked. I helped one girl with her pack, and I could barely lift it!! Travel as light as you can, and have fun.:)

I always take with me my sketchbook and watercolors. And always want to draw my diary. And never did it 😇
Actually, some days I could manage to draw, but never on a daily basis (cold, rain, tired...).
It will be a pleasure to see your art!!

I hope that’s not my story! I’m worried about that. If you don’t draw or paint, people don’t understand that it’s work, even though it’s quite enjoyable work.

I look forward to seeing some of your paintings afterwards.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As someone who has walked the Camino twice, and is an artist, I like your plan of walking first and then going back to paint.

From my journal when I stopped in Porto for 3 days doing the Portuguese route from Lisbon in February of 2018.

The Soares dos Reis National Museum (in Porto) was founded in 1833 by Portuguese King Peter IV who took over rule from the Absolutist King Miguel I who was despised as an autocratic dictator. King Miguel I was stripped of his wealth, including his private art collection. That art, along with art taken from convents and monasteries, became the foundation of the museum’s collection which was placed on public display. While there was some modern art from the last one hundred years, much of the art was from 1820 -1920 including works that fall into the Mannerist, Expressionist and Impressionist schools. I loved how quitessentially Portuguese this art was in its subject matter. Unlike American and English portraiture, for example, where the subjects were all fair-haired and rosy cheeked, these Portuguese subjects were olive-skinned and had the blackest hair and moustaches and beards. I came away from viewing this collection with a clear impression of daily life as the paintings showed women harvesting grapes, men fishing, matadors taunting bulls, shepherds tending sheep, and guitarist playing Fado music.
Sounds wonderful, Terry. I’m just starting to spend some time learning about what art I can visit during my stay on the Iberian peninsula. I’ll definitely add that to the list, although I had no plans to go to Porto. I just heard your name for the first time a couple days ago as someone who had written the“Slow Camino”book. I definitely want to read it, and I love the thesis. I see you’re in Cushing, I live in Rockland.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.