• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A wide toe box trail runner

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
I have happily walked most of my caminos and all my home hiking in Keens sandals for years. However, after injuring my Achilles, I have developed Achilles tendinopathy that is refusing to go away. My physio has advised a completely different type of shoe to what I am accustomed to and I have spent three days trying on every shoe in my city!! My problem is that I have a narrow heel but my toes splay very very wide....so even when I have tried on men's shoes in 2E, they have been snug. Altra Lone Peaks are fine, but zero drop is no longer an option for me, so that ruled them out.
Enter stage left Topo Ultraventures. I have not heard anyone mention them on the forum, but if you are looking for a roomy toebox (and super comfortable and stable midsole with rocker motion and...according to the reviews, a long lasting shoe), then you might do well to look them up. I am having to put a wedge orthotic under the heel insole and there is plenty of room.
They also do a boot for those who prefer something more than a shoe, and other shoe varieties too.
The NZ website has a very good lacing guide which might be beneficial to someone.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Altra has introduced a "low drop" shoe. So far they only have it in a road shoe, but maybe they will expand to trail shoes.

Enter stage left Topo Ultraventures. I have not heard anyone mention them on the forum
They've been mentioned from time to time, e.g. here. I am curious that you find them wide enough - on the website there is only one width "Standard." If they are width enough to fit your EE foot, maybe I'll need to check them out!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I too have EE feet and have tried Altras with some success but I don’t like zero drop. I recently bought a pair of trailventure WP2 waterproof boots from Topo and they are terrific. Comfortable, light, functional in every way and more structured than Altras with a robust Vibram sole. They’ve just launched the Traverse trail runner in the US which has similar features, is not waterproof but even lighter and low ankle…..as soon as these are released in Canada, I'm going to be at the front of the line !

They've been mentioned from time to time, e.g. here. I am curious that you find them wide enough - on the website there is only one width "Standard." If they are width enough to fit your EE foot, maybe I'll need to check them out!
On the US website I see there is a wide version as well as standard. The wide does not appear to be available in New Zealand, but here you can see just how much wider even the standard is than my Skechers (that are too tight to walk comfortably in)
1700024799793.png
I would love to try the wide just for the fun of it (I am officially a 3E!)

Have you tried Hoka Speedgoats ? Mens 2E fitting. I have now walked two Caminos in them and find them very comfortable.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I too have a narrow heel and a wide forefoot so this spring I got the Topo Ultraventures, standard width. I have used them on hundreds of kms of training walks and almost 5 weeks on the Francés this year and they have proved to be quite comfortable as well as durable. The only downside that I will mention is that when they get wet, I mean really soaked, they drain very poorly. Other shoes that I have used I have been able to ‘walk dry’ but the Topos seem to retain water. It wasn’t much of a problem for me on the Camino this year as I had very little rain, but it may be something to consider in general.

@Turga I'm so pleased to hear this! I'm glad they have worked for you and it sounds like my experience may be the same. I can't actually try them until next week - the store has agreed to get in a different colorway and so I am waiting to swap them over. I figured if I have to wear them all the time at the moment while my Achilles heals I need to look at something a bit more subtle!
@camino07 The Hoka Speedgoats were just not quite right for me - but then again, I was not able to try a 2E. Thanks for the thought.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have happily walked most of my caminos and all my home hiking in Keens sandals for years. However, after injuring my Achilles, I have developed Achilles tendinopathy that is refusing to go away. My physio has advised a completely different type of shoe to what I am accustomed to and I have spent three days trying on every shoe in my city!! My problem is that I have a narrow heel but my toes splay very very wide....so even when I have tried on men's shoes in 2E, they have been snug. Altra Lone Peaks are fine, but zero drop is no longer an option for me, so that ruled them out.
Enter stage left Topo Ultraventures. I have not heard anyone mention them on the forum, but if you are looking for a roomy toebox (and super comfortable and stable midsole with rocker motion and...according to the reviews, a long lasting shoe), then you might do well to look them up. I am having to put a wedge orthotic under the heel insole and there is plenty of room.
They also do a boot for those who prefer something more than a shoe, and other shoe varieties too.
The NZ website has a very good lacing guide which might be beneficial to someone.
I switched from Hokas to Topos with zero regrets and a lot fewer blisters.

This is a great post. I just finished the wettest of wet caminos in Altra Mont Blancs and they held up well and were supportive throughout. I was really happy with how they drained etc etc. But, the Topos had popped onto my radar after I had already bought the Altras. I’d like to give them a go. I read that the latest ones are even more comfortable and durable.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I too have EE feet and have tried Altras with some success but I don’t like zero drop. I recently bought a pair of trailventure WP2 waterproof boots from Topo and they are terrific. Comfortable, light, functional in every way and more structured than Altras with a robust Vibram sole. They’ve just launched the Traverse trail runner in the US which has similar features, is not waterproof but even lighter and low ankle…..as soon as these are released in Canada, I'm going to be at the front of the line !
I was able to work around the zero drop by putting in my orthotics! I have fallen in love with my Altras, so much so that I bought a second pair. My only complaint with them has been my big toe making a hole in the front. The work around Ive discover is something called Shoe Armor (Hope the link here works.)

Last edited:
TOPOS!!! I always recommend their shoes - as you noted - wide toebox, also very good arch support, (though I replace them w/ Currex insoles, due to high arches.) Mine held up beautifully from SJPDP to Muxia and Fisterre. Did have to replace one shoelace. Hard to believe these went nearly 600 miles. IMG_0620.jpg

The topo Terraventure 3 trail runners, combined with Injinji toe socks and Superfeet Trailblazer inserts, kept me blister-free walking del Norte from Irun to Santiago last spring. I had tried the Altra Lone Peaks, which did not offer enough midfoot support. The Terraventure 3 have a wide toe box similar to Altra and a 3mm drop instead of zero. The newer Terraventure 4 shoes, which I have not tried, are also 3mm. I liked the look of the Ultraventure but some of the reviews I read suggested they were not as durable on pavement -- and I knew there would be a lot of pavement on del Norte so did not try them. BTW, I'm on my third pair of Terraventures and will probably get the Terraventure 4 for my next hiking shoes.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The topo Terraventure 3 trail runners, combined with Injinji toe socks and Superfeet Trailblazer inserts, kept me blister-free walking del Norte from Irun to Santiago last spring. I had tried the Altra Lone Peaks, which did not offer enough midfoot support. The Terraventure 3 have a wide toe box similar to Altra and a 3mm drop instead of zero. The newer Terraventure 4 shoes, which I have not tried, are also 3mm. I liked the look of the Ultraventure but some of the reviews I read suggested they were not as durable on pavement -- and I knew there would be a lot of pavement on del Norte so did not try them. BTW, I'm on my third pair of Terraventures and will probably get the Terraventure 4 for my next hiking shoes.
I should have said above that I also went with the Terraventures, rather than the Ultraventures, with a Superfeet insole.

I have been using Topo Ultraventures to train in and appreciate that they are slightly higher than Altras. I have not worn them on a camino, but I have found that the part of the shoes surrounding the top of the heel has worn out and is unraveling. I have made do because the shoes are comfortble, but I am disappointed that they are not as durable as I expected.

As someone who suffers from Tendonitis and Plantar Fasciitis, my Fred Flintstone do very well with Saucony Ride 15 Trail Runners. The heel is fairly narrow and has an extra hole at the top of the lacing so you can really snug your heel down. The toe box is super wide and meshy, so there is a lot of give there as well. I found that the Ride 14 (on the right) has a snugger toe box, but this is the first deviation I have found, and I have used these back to the Ride 6 in 2014. I use green Superfeet inserts for my high arches, and Injinji toe socks and Wrightsocks dual layer socks to prevent blisters. My new pair is waiting under the bed for Camino 5 next year. :)
Good luck!IMG_20231115_085244.jpgIMG_20231115_085258(2).jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also was advised to go Topos from my podiatrist, I love mine, women’s ultrafly

Altra has introduced a "low drop" shoe. So far they only have it in a road shoe, but maybe they will expand to trail shoes.

I've worn both Altras and Tops. Both fit comfortably but Altras fit better. You might consider Altra Timps as an alternative to the Lone Peak. I walked the Cini this past season with mine and they were beautiful. Topos don't feel as nice to me for long distances and mine did not last as well, the sole started to get unglued. I'm a trail runner and have tried all brands. But am most loyal to Altras for comfort, fit and durability.

I have been wearing Topo ultra ventures for the Portuguese Camino and the Kumano kodo. They seem to be a blend of the altra toe box and hoka comfort.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
WOW! Look at that! We have a new group forming....TopoToGo will sit proudly alongside the PacerPoleProponents, the Electric Coil Club and the Sandals-and-Socks Sisters :)

@Turga I actually love the green ones and if I could justify buying two pairs at once I would keep them, but they are a bit loud (for me) for wearing to church and upcoming weddings with my dusky pink dress! The physio has banned me from wearing any of my other shoes until I get this under control! And I'm super motivated because I'm meant to be doing some long distances come April.

Last edited:
Love my Topo Trailventure WPs. Wore them on the Norte from Irún to Santiago in June and July this year. Super comfortable. Highly recommend. Just ordered another pair!

Yes, Topo Ultraventurers are the ones! Still my all time favorites. Glad to hear about the boot. I will look them up. Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Walked Fall 2021 in Altra Timp 2 with zero blisters and no foot pain. Sadly the newer Timps aren’t the same. Topo Terraventure was an ok alternative though like Altra Lone Peak, a bit too much volume for my foot. A running shoe store recommend Topo Mountain Racer, now on my 2nd pair!

These look great, and not as expensive as some other brands. Another brand of trail runners with a wide toe box is Saucony. They made my feet look enormous (good practice for laughing at my ego), but I walked the Camino Frances with nary a blister.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have heard of Topo. Altra does have trail runners. I walked 400 miles in them recently and found them to be ideal! No need for break-in period. Very comfortable toe box and tight fit around ankle so that pebbles aren't constantly sneaking into the shoe.

La Sportiva Ultra Raptors were my choice (having narrow heels but wide feet at the front).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ah! I wore Topo' on the Primitivo and Del Norte in June! So comfortable. Not one blister, or any discomfort. I never heard of Topos. There is so much marketing hype in the internet reviews written by sponsored reviewers that I elected to stay away from the ones that were most celebrated.
Topos for me!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back