Advice please - Gaiters April/May

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

crhutch

Jan 26, 2007
Northern Virginia, USA
Time of past OR future Camino
(2010) March/April SJPP to Santiago and hence to Finisterre
(2016) Hospitalero Grañón 15-31 March
(2016) April Logroño to Santiago
(2017) Hospitalero Zamora 15-31 March
(2017) Hospilatero Emaus, Burgos 1-14 April
I found them useful, when it rained or drizzled my upper body would be dry since I was wearing my rain jacket or my Altus rain poncho, but my pant legs would get soaked. The gaiters kept me toasty dry!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Mar 12, 2011
Past: a few
Last: Sanabres
Next: St Olav's Way
falcon269 said:
I love my gaiters, but they are not really necessary. When you wear them, the weight is borne by your shoe, so I do not count them in pack weight.
Falcon, a mere sophistry! I can almost sense the grin from here. While pack weight is important, there is also a 'from the skin out' target that experienced walkers use. 30% of bodyweight FSO is considered the maximum for comfortable hiking, with 20-25% recommended. The FSO 20% of bodyweight target appears to be slightly more generous than the 15% pack weight recommended by the CSJ, but well under a kg difference unless one is quite large. But it does mean what you wear and carry outside the pack is important in your weight budget as well.

On the subject of gaiters themselves, I wore mine regularly as an extra outer layer rather than getting out my rain pants. I can only think of two or three stretches where they were used to protect my clothing from mud or stop water dripping down into my boots from wet trousers. I am told that when I walked in 2010, it was remarkably fine. A friend who had walked at much the same time two years earlier claims he needed gaiters or rain pants most of the way from Pamplona.

Regards,

D

Deleted member 3000

The weight of gaiters is determined mostly by size. I have used both the ankle and calf length. Since I use them as umbrellas for my footwear, the shorter (and lighter) gaiters are my preference. The strap that goes under the boot can be cord, leather, or nylon. I found the leather easiest to adjust (cord is the lightest). REI has a good choice in gaiters. http://www.rei.com

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

annelise

Mar 3, 2011
Denmark
Past
May 2011, I took gaiters (advice from the forum) – rather pricey but weighty too – however, left them soon in an albergue box. Hope that someone else may have taken advantage of them!

The one day, I would have been able to take advantage of them was through a thunder and rain storm over 17 km. But even there, they would in no way have helped to keep my boots dry – walking through rivers of water on the path coming towards me or behind me depending on the slope of the trail.

I think it is better to have zip-off trouser legs (easily washed) – and then somehow try to get your boots dry for the next morning – and if not totally dry, with double socks you will be able to walk on.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Abbeydore

Veteran Member
Oct 11, 2011
Hereford England
falcon269 said:
The weight of gaiters is determined mostly by size. I have used both the ankle and calf length. Since I use them as umbrellas for my footwear, the shorter (and lighter) gaiters are my preference. The strap that goes under the boot can be cord, leather, or nylon. I found the leather easiest to adjust (cord is the lightest). REI has a good choice in gaiters. http://www.rei.com

The cord will not last cause strangely it takes a lot of abuse, so if & when it breaks try using a bit of coat hanger bent to a U with 2 eyes @ ends :)

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Sep 15, 2005
Moratinos, Palencia Spain
www.peaceableprojects.org
Many, various, and continuing.
pilgrims have left a couple of pairs of gaiters here. I took them with me on high-altitude (snowy) caminos, but have only ever used them once or twice. They are a nice thing to have in mud, but then you have all that mud to deal with when you take them off anyway -- it´s not on your pants or boots, but it is all over your hands and the floor!

Unless you are walking in blizzards or monsoons, I can´t see any reason to carry the weight.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
M

mikevasey

You could flip a coin, yes or no, you stand 50% chance of getting it right(or wrong) for the 30+ days that you are walking, thats how I feel when it comes to the the weather.
Unless I was walking the Frances in deep winter, late November to early March I would give them a miss, you will get dirty wet boots outside of that period but not hopefully too much. If you are not really sure after all the different advice, pack them, if they are lightweight you wont really notice them. I did not take any in November 2010 and did not regret it, if I had walked the same period last year, from all the blogs I read, I would have regretted it.

What is your personal feeling about it, trust your instinct. I am taking them on the Norte In May, after 85+ days over 3 caminos and in that a total of 40 minutes very soft rain and 20 minutes intense I feel I am owed some.

Good Luck

Mike

grayland

Veteran Member
Dec 29, 2008
Tucson, Arizona
Yes
I have not taken gaitors on my past Caminos, but on my last one I walked with a friend from Belgium who did wear them when it rained and when it was very muddy. I ended up with mud splattered pants and had to wash them each night...he did not. I am taking them next month. Hopefully, I won't see any mud because I have them with me. :wink:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

mmm042

Oct 12, 2010
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin USA
www.melaniemcmanus.com
VDLP 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
What are you wearing on your feet? That makes a difference, too. I alternated boots and running shoes, and wore (very lightweight) gaiters only with my running shoes, mainly to keep out the rocks/debris, although they do afford some water protection. I like Dirty Girl gaiters ($19). Don't be put off by the name; the patterns are largely unisex: http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/buy-it.html.

Melanie

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides