• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice please - Gaiters April/May

merrellj

:?: Must have, ought to have, nice to have, completely unnecessary, silly question!!!

Just wondering whether I need to pack them or save the weight.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I love my gaiters, but they are not really necessary. When you wear them, the weight is borne by your shoe, so I do not count them in pack weight.

I found them useful, when it rained or drizzled my upper body would be dry since I was wearing my rain jacket or my Altus rain poncho, but my pant legs would get soaked. The gaiters kept me toasty dry!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
falcon269 said:
I love my gaiters, but they are not really necessary. When you wear them, the weight is borne by your shoe, so I do not count them in pack weight.
Falcon, a mere sophistry! I can almost sense the grin from here. While pack weight is important, there is also a 'from the skin out' target that experienced walkers use. 30% of bodyweight FSO is considered the maximum for comfortable hiking, with 20-25% recommended. The FSO 20% of bodyweight target appears to be slightly more generous than the 15% pack weight recommended by the CSJ, but well under a kg difference unless one is quite large. But it does mean what you wear and carry outside the pack is important in your weight budget as well.

On the subject of gaiters themselves, I wore mine regularly as an extra outer layer rather than getting out my rain pants. I can only think of two or three stretches where they were used to protect my clothing from mud or stop water dripping down into my boots from wet trousers. I am told that when I walked in 2010, it was remarkably fine. A friend who had walked at much the same time two years earlier claims he needed gaiters or rain pants most of the way from Pamplona.

Regards,

I'd be very interested to hear of any recommendations on good lightweight gaiters?
Regards
Col

The weight of gaiters is determined mostly by size. I have used both the ankle and calf length. Since I use them as umbrellas for my footwear, the shorter (and lighter) gaiters are my preference. The strap that goes under the boot can be cord, leather, or nylon. I found the leather easiest to adjust (cord is the lightest). REI has a good choice in gaiters. http://www.rei.com

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
May 2011, I took gaiters (advice from the forum) – rather pricey but weighty too – however, left them soon in an albergue box. Hope that someone else may have taken advantage of them!

The one day, I would have been able to take advantage of them was through a thunder and rain storm over 17 km. But even there, they would in no way have helped to keep my boots dry – walking through rivers of water on the path coming towards me or behind me depending on the slope of the trail.

I think it is better to have zip-off trouser legs (easily washed) – and then somehow try to get your boots dry for the next morning – and if not totally dry, with double socks you will be able to walk on.

I wore gaiters every day rain or shine. They helped keep my legs warm, and my boots dry, reduced wear on inner pant legs (from boots), and kept my pants clean. I would bring them again.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
falcon269 said:
The weight of gaiters is determined mostly by size. I have used both the ankle and calf length. Since I use them as umbrellas for my footwear, the shorter (and lighter) gaiters are my preference. The strap that goes under the boot can be cord, leather, or nylon. I found the leather easiest to adjust (cord is the lightest). REI has a good choice in gaiters. http://www.rei.com

The cord will not last cause strangely it takes a lot of abuse, so if & when it breaks try using a bit of coat hanger bent to a U with 2 eyes @ ends :)

pilgrims have left a couple of pairs of gaiters here. I took them with me on high-altitude (snowy) caminos, but have only ever used them once or twice. They are a nice thing to have in mud, but then you have all that mud to deal with when you take them off anyway -- it´s not on your pants or boots, but it is all over your hands and the floor!

Unless you are walking in blizzards or monsoons, I can´t see any reason to carry the weight.

I've never worn gaiters.
Sil wears them rain or shine.
She says they also keep the rocks out of your shoes, which makes sense.
She also has a pattern for gaiters if you want to make your own.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You could flip a coin, yes or no, you stand 50% chance of getting it right(or wrong) for the 30+ days that you are walking, thats how I feel when it comes to the the weather.
Unless I was walking the Frances in deep winter, late November to early March I would give them a miss, you will get dirty wet boots outside of that period but not hopefully too much. If you are not really sure after all the different advice, pack them, if they are lightweight you wont really notice them. I did not take any in November 2010 and did not regret it, if I had walked the same period last year, from all the blogs I read, I would have regretted it.

What is your personal feeling about it, trust your instinct. I am taking them on the Norte In May, after 85+ days over 3 caminos and in that a total of 40 minutes very soft rain and 20 minutes intense I feel I am owed some.

Good Luck

Mike

I have not taken gaitors on my past Caminos, but on my last one I walked with a friend from Belgium who did wear them when it rained and when it was very muddy. I ended up with mud splattered pants and had to wash them each night...he did not. I am taking them next month. Hopefully, I won't see any mud because I have them with me. :wink:

grayland said:
I am taking them next month. Hopefully, I won't see any mud because I have them with me. :wink:
There are some things worth taking and not using as insurance against the inevitability that they will be needed if you don't.

What are you wearing on your feet? That makes a difference, too. I alternated boots and running shoes, and wore (very lightweight) gaiters only with my running shoes, mainly to keep out the rocks/debris, although they do afford some water protection. I like Dirty Girl gaiters ($19). Don't be put off by the name; the patterns are largely unisex: http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/buy-it.html.

Melanie

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back