• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

izzybugs

Time of past OR future Camino
Oct 2023
Hi all of you amazing folks. Love the spirit of love & guidance in these forums. I need advice. I’m a 60 yr old female. I’m healthy but have issues with my cervical spine that would cause issues carrying a heavy back pack. I’ve been praying about doing the Camino Frances alone. I lost both of my parents this past year and have been feeling quite untethered. I’ve been led over & over to doing the Camino. I’ve read sooo much and watched tons of you tubes. I think I’ve decided on the Frances since it appears to be the most straightforward and popular. Is this a good choice for a newbie? Also I’m leaning toward an agency planning things for me and using the luggage transfer service simply because of my neck issues (I have 5 titanium disks already). But I do pick up a bit of shaming in some forums. Will this be an issue on the walk do u think? Also, can anyone recommend a service that u have personal experience w it? Any input or advice is greatly appreciated! Cindy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think you are doing a good choice going on the Frances, as it is the route with most infrastructure for pilgrims.

About the planning, just remember that accommodation and luggage transport are separate things. You can hire a company to arrange everything for you, or you can book your own accommodation and still hire a company to send your luggage ahead. As said above, the second option is usually cheaper and more flexible, but it does requires a tiny bit more dedication. So you choose what you think works best for you :)

When you ask about "ïs this going to be an issue", do you refer to the "shaming"? No, it won't be an issue at all. A lot of people transport their bags and it is very normal.

I think the reason the forum gives this impression of being reactive towards planning companies and transport is because it is actually very easy to arrange those things by yourself on the camino, so it hurts to see people spending so much money in services that you can do for much cheaper. But "cheaper" will require effort in the end, so to each their own.

I used lugagge transport for a few days in my first camino because my husband had a sunstroke and was very debilitate for a few days. It's actually great that those services exist.

Your camino is yours to walk. Choose the best options for yourself and we will be here to help and hear about your adventures :)

I think that @J Willhaus said it perfectly in another thread: "I do want to say that it is a different Camino... Each person must decide... ...if it is the only way... ...then that's just how it will have to be."

Please don't feel shamed by any of our replies. Members here have, shall we say, strongly held opinions. Believe me when I say that the discussion that will follow is input meant to help you. The folk here helped me so much on my first Camino. There's a lot of very valuable experience here!

Keep an open mind and decide for yourself the details of your Camino.

One thing that I'm 100% sure of is that Spain and the Camino is not to be missed!!

Buen Camino!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @izzybugs - Welcome to the forum. You should get lots of good information here. You've asked several questions, so I'll start with some quick answers/suggestions...
I think I’ve decided on the Frances since it appears to be the most straightforward and popular. Is this a good choice for a newbie?
Yes, it is a good choice. I see on your profile that you are thinking of October. That is also a great time to walk. Where are you thinking of starting, and how much time will you have?

I’m leaning toward an agency planning things for me and using the luggage transfer service simply because of my neck issues
Agency planning and luggage transfer are two different services. You can easily do your own planning and still use luggage transfer.

If you can't comfortably carry a back pack, then luggage transfer is the obvious answer. I would urge you to pack light - as if you were going to carry it anyway. After all, you will occasionally need to do that, and it is an interesting experience to be minimalistic

I do pick up a bit of shaming in some forums. Will this be an issue on the walk do u think?
We have had a lot of recent threads in which the issue is hotly discussed. Frankly, this business of who is shaming whom is getting quite confusing (and tiresome). Shamers seem to exist on both sides of the luggage transfer question. You need to decide what is best for you and then do it with confidence and courtesy, ignoring people who say stupid or rude things. Many people use luggage transfer, especially on the Camino Frances

can anyone recommend a service that u have personal experience w it? Any input or advice is greatly appreciated!
Someone will be along soon to make some suggestions. However, keep in mind...

This forum has a lot of members who have walked many Caminos. They are very keen to offer advice, even when it isn't exactly asked for. After all, a newcomer may not know enough to ask all the right questions. Their advice will tend towards advising you about how to do the planning yourself, rather than how to hire someone else to do it for you. That is natural, because they are experts in how to do the planning (and they like doing it). They don't know much about (and may not be interested in) how to select an agency. If you ask about good agencies, they will answer with reasons why you don't need an agency. This does not mean that they are shaming you; it means that they love talking about it and also they want to enable you. Take in all the information they provide, and then make your decision with that additional knowledge.

I don't know how familiar you are with the content on the forum. You might start by clicking on some of the tags shown at the bottom of this page. In particular, there is a tag for luggage transfer threads, and one for travel agencies and groups .

Hi Izzy. Good post; your losses, your back, how brave and positive you are, lovely ... I certainly hope that you will not get any 'shaming' on here!
I would always advise the Frances - well, what to say? If you feel called, and you do, then I think that a tour company would not be a good thing for you - if you pilgrimage then I do think you have to go at your own pace, stop where you will, where that inner voice tells you to, and so on - and you don't know who you are going to meet - what happens if you meet a person who has suffered the same loss that you have and you want to walk with them for a few days at a different pace?

I haven't used baggage services so don't know much about them but I think they are all the way down the Frances Camino and easy to book, and cheap too - others will know.

I know that your situation is different, body limitations, but it is common to have a pre Camino fear that one wouldn't be able to cope, would be lonely, and so on and therefore lean towards the 'safety' of a planned tour whereas the opposite is true - if one is open - the Frances is well used, with lots of refugios and places to eat ... in a way you are 'gifted' a group of pilgrims from day one, as they start on the same day as you (if you don't like them take a day off and pick up another group) ... and it is quite outstanding how many lifelong friendships are made and also how the group dynamics can produce caring and support ... so I would say do not be afraid, if you are called then someone else walks with you already - so maybe not a guided planned tour but baggage services along the way?

I don't know if you have considered it but there may be another option - a hiking trailer, as long as it isn't a monowheel design as they are awful as the design leaves half the weight on your body, but a two wheel design that has the load over the two wheels, leaving almost nothing on the hipbelt. Radical Design sell them but their absolutely brilliant build quality and design is reflected in their price - https://www.radicaldesign.com/walking-trailers/wheelie-walking-trailers

I see that you are in the USA .. I was hoping that you were UK based as I would offer you my trailer - no weight or stress on the back whatsoever and complete timeline independence.

This is mine (modelled by a friend) though I have now put larger spoked wheels on it.

trailer 1.jpg

I think that you will get many supportive responses and good advice too, for all options - this has only been my personal opinion and there will be members who always use guided tours and think they are wonderful, so take in all the information and decide what is best for you (I know you will anyway).

And later - will you let us know what you decided, how it went (let alone how you got through airport metal detectors 😂❤️)

Last edited:
You'll also have seen a lot of people saying they use pack transfer for medical reasons, so ignore the shamers. Pack transfer can work in two ways - you pre-book it all the way through in synch with the places you have booked to stay at. Or, and a lot of people do this, it is very easy to book day by day for bags to be picked up from where you are to be taken to wherever you are going to stay. The transfer companies (Jacotrans and Correos are the biggest) are very flexible and very experienced and by all accounts very reliable. This would give you the option of being independent in terms of where you stay and how far you walk every day. Last year, over 400000 pilgrims finished the camino, a lot of them were foreign and a lot of them would regard sixty as young. This means that apart from anything else the camino is pretty well lined with places and people who will look after you. And yes, the Francés would be a good choice for your first but hopefully not your only pilgrimage. Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You could book with a company for the first week, then as you decide how far you are able to walk each day you can start making your own bookings a day or two ahead. This should be pretty easy to do in October. As others have mentioned it's quite easy to book your pack transfer on a day by day basis. I think that this hybrid approach could work very well for you. And we forum members are here to help you plan your stages and answer questions on how to book places.
Here's a good post about the pros and cons of booking with an agency.
Having everything booked for you can cause problems and stress that you may not have considered.

You'll be 100% fine, Cindy. It simply doesn't matter what anyone thinks. And once on the Frances, I promise you - it will be of zero importance. What is important then? - understanding that an online camino forum is not the same as walking a camino :) In my experience, these have little in common and in fact i'd say they often exist in opposing spaces.

Having said this ;) - It sounds like the Frances is a good choice. I haven't used luggage service before, but i've met pilgrims with arranged accomdation, luggage and pick-up - and they were immensely happy and spoke in same glowing terms about thier expeience as someone with a 50lb backpack. There are as many ways to walk a camino as there are stars in the sky. So pick yours and have a wonderful camino ~

and they were immensely happy and spoke in same glowing terms about thier expeience as someone with a 50lb backpack.
I've only met one person with a backpack that approached that kind of weight, and by the time he got to Pamplona he not only sent most of it on to Santiago he also bought a smaller, lighter pack. There's no need to carry more than about 15 lbs.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome here, Cindy.

Is this a good choice for a newbie?
Yes.
Also I’m leaning toward an agency planning things for me and using the luggage transfer service simply because of my neck issues (I have 5 titanium disks already). But I do pick up a bit of shaming in some forums. Will this be an issue on the walk do u think?
There 's no shame for taking care of your back. The Frances is one Camino you can easily do if you need the service of a pack transporter - there is more than one.

Having someone arrange your camino for you is another matter, and I would say don't bother. It's fun and easy to figure it ot yourself - rather than paying a premium for another person to do that.
Also, can anyone recommend a service that u have personal experience w it?
I'm not much help here, but they are likely all pretty much the same. Reputation has it that they are not kind to packs, same as baggage handlers. Just so you know.

Buen camino!

Hi all of you amazing folks. Love the spirit of love & guidance in these forums. I need advice. I’m a 60 yr old female. I’m healthy but have issues with my cervical spine that would cause issues carrying a heavy back pack. I’ve been praying about doing the Camino Frances alone. I lost both of my parents this past year and have been feeling quite untethered. I’ve been led over & over to doing the Camino. I’ve read sooo much and watched tons of you tubes. I think I’ve decided on the Frances since it appears to be the most straightforward and popular. Is this a good choice for a newbie? Also I’m leaning toward an agency planning things for me and using the luggage transfer service simply because of my neck issues (I have 5 titanium disks already). But I do pick up a bit of shaming in some forums.
Don't let anyone "shame" you, if you need to use pack transport for medical reasons, there's no shame at all !! :)

Just beware that some albergues do not accept pack transport (though in a few cases, a nearby bar will), and that suitcase and larger luggage transporting is being frowned on more and more, because of the extra unpaid work.

The Francès is fine, though with your spine issues, you might perhaps consider starting from Logroño or closer rather than SJPP ?

Planning with the help of an agency is usually unnecessary, though some first-timers do like to have that safety net ; and some wealthier pilgrims prefer it for the more comfortable experience along the way. Nothing wrong with it either way, except for its diminishing of flexibility day-to-day -- and be careful, spine issues could provoke the need for the occasional rest day, just as with any disability or chronic illness. And a rest day will give a better experience than skipping a stage via transport to keep up with a predetermined schedule.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I book all of my own accomodations so that I can choose the amount of distance I want to walk each day, plus pick out albergues that have things I like, such as communal meals, single beds in the rooms instead of bunk beds, or just a cool looking vibe. Transport of a small bag is arranged each day and is super easy to do. I wear my back pack with about half of my stuff, and transport the other half. This has worked well for me the past 2 years.
Do think about wearing your pack though as this takes the weight off of your shoulders and back and transfers it to your hips. There are smaller packs that have hip belts. You do not want to wear a regular back-pack that will drag down your shoulders with your water, poncho, etc.
I walked 47 days this year and had fun this past fall and winter searching out the albergues I wanted. If I did the CF again, I would add even more days onto it. I like to sightsee and walking 15 km per day is enough for me. (am 67 and have walked 5 Caminos so far)

Last edited:
Whether you are a pilgrim or a tourist depends on what is in your heart, not on what kind of accommodations you choose or whether you carry everything on your back. There are many people (mostly an older crowd) who use travel companies and transport services who are dedicated pilgrims. Each of us has our own level of risk-taking, detailed planning tolerance, etc., and many are more able to concentrate on the pilgrimage part of the journey if they are not also concerned/worried each day about where they are going to stay and how to arrange it. Please don't feel that if you don't do it the way medieval pilgrims did it, you aren't doing it right!

As for travel companies, I have used Spanish Adventures and have been very satisfied. I know others who have used Mac Adventures and would use them again.

Having stayed in both hotels/casas rural/pensiones and albergues (and many people have only done one or the other), I will say there are big trade-offs with both. I love albergues because it is so easy to get to know people when you are sleeping next to them, and the communal dinners are always fun and often wonderful food. But I don't sleep as well, and I'm really not keen on the unisex bathrooms in most of them. On the other hand, I get more rest and time to myself for reflection in a hotel, and the private bathroom is a luxury. But I have to be more forward in making friends--asking others who are obviously pilgrims if they would like to eat with me, etc., or it can be isolating. And albergues are more likely to have laundry facilities.

Using a transport service will make your trip possible, given your back problems, and there is never shame in making accommodations to enable you to make the pilgrimage. I've seen so many people--decades younger than I--who are proudly carrying their own packs but have blisters, knee braces, etc., and knew several who ended up cutting their camino short. The extra weight really does make a difference.

Make this your camino. You won't be sorry. I hope it is a healing, strengthening one for you, body and soul.

If you have quite a bit of leisure time available before the trip, then it is a lot of fun planning your trip, how far to walk, when to have rest days, looking up accommodation options, etc. If you are time short, then, by all means, use a company. The company will book your accommodation based on typical walking lengths, and arrange for your luggage transfers. You will usually stay in nice places with your own room but eat in communal dining rooms where you will meet lots of others who are also using companies. You will get the same feeling of camaraderie and be able to have a wonderful journey without any worry. This can be a nice option for someone walking alone and feeling unsure.

We used a company the first time we did a Camino and had a wonderful time but I wouldn't use one for any future Caminos. We recently walked the Le Puy in France and I did all of the arrangements and I felt that planning was a really enjoyable part of the Camino.
I needed to use Malle Poste as I have tendinitis problems and they require 24 hours' notice so it was best to plan all accommodation and luggage transfers in advance. I am glad that I did as many pilgrims were struggling with finding accommodation and spending frantic times fruitlessly calling many places.

There are lots of guidebooks out there to help you plan, including the wonderful guide by John Brierley.
On the Frances, you can use Jacotrans to porter your bags and they need less notice than Malle Poste. I think it is fine to let them know the night before that they have a bag to collect in the morning so you could play it by ear and just book a day ahead if you feel comfortable with spending time each day deciding where to stay the next day or two and ringing around.

Don't worry about what others think. They have no business being judgemental about your journey and choices. It is your Camino and for you to do it as you feel comfortable. You are no less a Pilgrim than anyone else. Remember that in the past the Pilgrims came from all societies including Royalty, Archbishops, wealthy merchants, farmers, the poor, and criminals doing penance. Some went with great luxury and would have been hosted in luxury and some would have been happy to have a bed in the straw in a barn. Many used horses to ride and as pack animals and others carried all of their meagre goods on their backs and begged for food.
Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi all of you amazing folks. Love the spirit of love & guidance in these forums. I need advice. I’m a 60 yr old female. I’m healthy but have issues with my cervical spine that would cause issues carrying a heavy back pack. I’ve been praying about doing the Camino Frances alone. I lost both of my parents this past year and have been feeling quite untethered. I’ve been led over & over to doing the Camino. I’ve read sooo much and watched tons of you tubes. I think I’ve decided on the Frances since it appears to be the most straightforward and popular. Is this a good choice for a newbie? Also I’m leaning toward an agency planning things for me and using the luggage transfer service simply because of my neck issues (I have 5 titanium disks already). But I do pick up a bit of shaming in some forums. Will this be an issue on the walk do u think? Also, can anyone recommend a service that u have personal experience w it? Any input or advice is greatly appreciated! Cindy
Go for it. Use the Correos for cheap and reliable luggage transfer. Use Booking.com for your stays ( free cancellation). Book Orisson on their website well in advance - great night assured and views! the late John Brierley ’s guidebook is better than most and very pocketable. Buen Camino .Ps we, a group of 74 yrs plus, are walking the Frances. No problems. Take your time and take a local bus or taxi to cut down the longer stretches. Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
With regard to shaming, I transferred a bag every day and I didn’t get even one negative comment about it the whole way. Lots of people transport bags these days and only walk with a day bag so it is extremely common. Now, I carried a mostly empty 32L pack as my day bag so maybe most people who saw me wouldn’t know I was transporting a bag, but with my back issues I wanted a bag with a substantial hip belt just to feel secure.

Last edited:
Hi Izzy. Good post; your losses, your back, how brave and positive you are, lovely ... I certainly hope that you will not get any 'shaming' on here!
I would always advise the Frances - well, what to say? If you feel called, and you do, then I think that a tour company would not be a good thing for you - if you pilgrimage then I do think you have to go at your own pace, stop where you will, where that inner voice tells you to, and so on - and you don't know who you are going to meet - what happens if you meet a person who has suffered the same loss that you have and you want to walk with them for a few days at a different pace?

I haven't used baggage services so don't know much about them but I think they are all the way down the Frances Camino and easy to book, and cheap too - others will know.

I know that your situation is different, body limitations, but it is common to have a pre Camino fear that one wouldn't be able to cope, would be lonely, and so on and therefore lean towards the 'safety' of a planned tour whereas the opposite is true - if one is open - the Frances is well used, with lots of refugios and places to eat ... in a way you are 'gifted' a group of pilgrims from day one, as they start on the same day as you (if you don't like them take a day off and pick up another group) ... and it is quite outstanding how many lifelong friendships are made and also how the group dynamics can produce caring and support ... so I would say do not be afraid, if you are called then someone else walks with you already - so maybe not a guided planned tour but baggage services along the way?

I don't know if you have considered it but there may be another option - a hiking trailer, as long as it isn't a monowheel design as they are awful as the design leaves half the weight on your body, but a two wheel design that has the load over the two wheels, leaving almost nothing on the hipbelt. Radical Design sell them but their absolutely brilliant build quality and design is reflected in their price - https://www.radicaldesign.com/walking-trailers/wheelie-walking-trailers

I see that you are in the USA .. I was hoping that you were UK based as I would offer you my trailer - no weight or stress on the back whatsoever and complete timeline independence.

This is mine (modelled by a friend) though I have now put larger spoked wheels on it.

View attachment 151919

I think that you will get many supportive responses and good advice too, for all options - this has only been my personal opinion and there will be members who always use guided tours and think they are wonderful, so take in all the information and decide what is best for you (I know you will anyway).

And later - will you let us know what you decided, how it went (let alone how you got through airport metal detectors 😂❤️)
I was going to suggest the trailer also. These can be connected to hip belt to leave your hands free for trekking poles etc. Try the poles to determine how much load they might take off your spine.

You said you cannot carry a heavy pack, but what is heavy to you? Check into ultralight back packing gear. I was able to get my base weight down to 3.6 kilo using moderately priced equipment that includes an Osprey Talon pack, FrogToggs rain coat, Uniqlo down coat, Sea to Summit down sleeping quilt, plus a full spare set of pants, shirt, socks, underwear in my pack along with phone power bank, head lamp, inflatable pillow, meds and first aid kit as part of my baseweight. If I really wanted to go ultralight, I could get much a more expensive pack, sleep sack, down coat and maybe a couple other things to shave maybe another kilo.

Base weight does not include food and water. You could carry a couple 1/2 liter waterbottles on your belt, and a couple empty ones in your pack for the few times you will be trekking over 12 km between water stops. You can easily get away without carrying food. I usually carry at least several granola bars in case I get hungry.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've used and been very happy with Caminofacil from Roncesvalles to Santiago.
I use Express Bouricott from SJPP to Roncesvalles.
As far as shaming goes, my favorite line is, "You do YOU and I'll do ME!"
Don't let yourself be bullied,
You have a legitimate reason (if there IS such a thing) to have transport and even if you didn't, it's nobody's business but your own and there is no rule that says you have to carry your pack.
Just ignore ignorance, go, and have a Buen Camino!

Well, musicman, not everyone knows about Borda since it is rather new. Have you stayed there? I have stayed in both Orisson and Borda and so I recommended Borda, just like you recommended Orisson.
There was nothing about one upping anyones advice as you so rudely commented. I was trying to be helpful with another suggestion.
I much prefer Borda to Orisson.
To each his/her own.
I love the privacy of the little cubbies.
I love the family style dinner and the wonderful information you get there.
When Orisson gets full, you may have to walk back DOWN that danged hill to get to a bed and then walk back UP to get to dinner. I don't care for that.
I just LOVE Laurent and Borda!

You could book with a company for the first week, then as you decide how far you are able to walk each day you can start making your own bookings a day or two ahead. This should be pretty easy to do in October. As others have mentioned it's quite easy to book your pack transfer on a day by day basis. I think that this hybrid approach could work very well for you. And we forum members are here to help you plan your stages and answer questions on how to book places.
Here's a good post about the pros and cons of booking with an agency.
Having everything booked for you can cause problems and stress that you may not have considered.
This is an excellent suggestion. Most people "know the ropes" by the 3d day to the 2nd week and are fine on their own. You'll meet more experienced pilgrims on the trail, as well, who can help you. Plus as trecile said, October should be easy. Not so many pilgrims. My experience when I'm not leading a group and walking alone is that if I arrive at my destination by 2 or 2:30 pm, there's almost always a bed. If not, just ask the hospitalera/o to suggest a place or nab a bus/taxi to the next village.

Not sure what phone service you use but I have Verizon and these days I just pay the $10/day for International calls. Cheaper than booking with a company, imo. On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with booking with a company and there are many reputable suggestions here.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

View attachment 151919

I want one of these trailers now 💪🏃🏻What fun!

No shame at all in using a baggage service especially when you have physical issues and glad so many have affirmed that. But the people who have weighed in against the tour companies have a good point. Their goal is to make a profit and they will push you toward (more expensive) accommodations that enable them to maximize it. They are unlikely to direct you to donativos and places with communal meals that don’t provide them with commissions if you want experiences along those lines.

If you haven’t already, read Brierly which is an excellent for providing overall context for beginners. Then look at gronze.com (most comprehensive/up to date on accommodations), the Buen Camino app (almost as good/helpful maps), and wisepilgrim.com (less complete and not as up to date but more readable/some helpful detail). Taking time with those four resources should provide most of the information you need about the difficulty of stages and accommodation options in each place for you to decide for yourself what you can physically manage, where to stay, and how much you want to spend better than someone else will -- and help you begin visualizing how to plan your own camino. Start there, then if you do have a more specific question you can search for previous posts, ask a question here, or do a detailed internet search.

Start out slow with distances within your comfort zone and if you’re nervous about it, maybe book the first 5-7 days so you don’t have to deal with the anxiety of finding a place (especially if starting in St. Jean). But after several days of walking in October you’ll see enough empty beds and probably grow more comfortable with planning a stop only a day or two in advance rather than locking yourself into an entire itinerary that will limit your flexibility – and perhaps even enable you to take detours off the main route you would never have anticipated. I hope the camino brings you healing and peace as it has for so many of us. Buen Camino.

Hi Izzy, if you get one of those trailers I would quite happily get towed the full length of the camino and wouldn't think twice about what others thought. I'd even swap places and let you have a go down some of the hills!
Everyone has already given you all the advice needed so I'll just agree with them. Do your own thing, send the pack on.. walk a far as you want/can each day. If you need to stop early or taxi then so be it. Stay in albergues or go 5 star. It's your journey, try each and every way and do what makes you happy!
Good luck
Andy

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Luggage transfer is such an easy thing to manage you dont need anyone to organise this for you.
The envelopes will be in reception areas, I used Jacotrans, others use other companies, just pop the money in the envelope and address the envelope to where you booked for the next night.
Either phone, or the albergue will phone to advise them to pick up. Leave it in reception the next morning when you leave.
Its that simple. When your bag arrives the next day they will attach a new blank envelope to it for the next day. Its cheap and easy.
I used the service for a week when I hurt my knee, and it made all the difference, not having the extra weight. Well worth it.

I’ve done 4 caminos and used Walk the Camino 3 times very satisfactorily for me as I don’t want to share a room. I don’t use baggage transfer as I’m used to carrying a rucksack. You won’t meet as many close friends as they swap phone numbers in shared dormitories early on. But you will meet lots of fellow pilgrims to share journey meals etc. You will get lots of negative comments here if you use a travel company but as a snorer I would get worse negativity sharing rooms. Do what works for you

No shame at all in using a baggage service especially when you have physical issues and glad so many have affirmed that. But the people who have weighed in against the tour companies have a good point. Their goal is to make a profit and they will push you toward (more expensive) accommodations that enable them to maximize it. They are unlikely to direct you to donativos and places with communal meals that don’t provide them with commissions if you want experiences along those lines.

If you haven’t already, read Brierly which is an excellent for providing overall context for beginners. Then look at gronze.com (most comprehensive/up to date on accommodations), the Buen Camino app (almost as good/helpful maps), and wisepilgrim.com (less complete and not as up to date but more readable/some helpful detail). Taking time with those four resources should provide most of the information you need about the difficulty of stages and accommodation options in each place for you to decide for yourself what you can physically manage, where to stay, and how much you want to spend better than someone else will -- and help you begin visualizing how to plan your own camino. Start there, then if you do have a more specific question you can search for previous posts, ask a question here, or do a detailed internet search.

Start out slow with distances within your comfort zone and if you’re nervous about it, maybe book the first 5-7 days so you don’t have to deal with the anxiety of finding a place (especially if starting in St. Jean). But after several days of walking in October you’ll see enough empty beds and probably grow more comfortable with planning a stop only a day or two in advance rather than locking yourself into an entire itinerary that will limit your flexibility – and perhaps even enable you to take detours off the main route you would never have anticipated. I hope the camino brings you healing and peace as it has for so many of us. Buen Camino.
Well, I have to disagree here. I run groups and my goal is to pay for my own Camino, and for my time, period. I figure I "make" less than $2/hour so if that's a profit, I'll take it.

I do not use donativos or places with communal meals because most of those will not allow reservations or groups. I keep costs to a minimum, but do book private lodgings for people, except occasionally in places like SJPP and Borda, and sometimes Roncesvalles.

While I agree for some people it is easy to go on your own and book your own lodgings, many people do not have the confidence to do that on their first Camino. I've found, quite often, that people will go again on their own, often on a different route, after taking a group trip and "learning the ropes."

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Well, musicman, not everyone knows about Borda since it is rather new. Have you stayed there? I have stayed in both Orisson and Borda and so I recommended Borda, just like you recommended Orisson.
There was nothing about one upping anyones advice as you so rudely commented. I was trying to be helpful with another suggestion.
Thank you, Jodean. I didn't know about Borda and it is good to have another option as I hear that Orisson is VERY difficult to communicate with and causes much anxiety as to whether you have a bed for the night or have to press on.

I’ve done 4 caminos and used Walk the Camino 3 times very satisfactorily for me as I don’t want to share a room. I don’t use baggage transfer as I’m used to carrying a rucksack. You won’t meet as many close friends as they swap phone numbers in shared dormitories early on. But you will meet lots of fellow pilgrims to share journey meals etc. You will get lots of negative comments here if you use a travel company but as a snorer I would get worse negativity sharing rooms. Do what works for you
Thank you for not bringing your snoring self into the dorms! I am the same, I try to book our own private room for my husband and myself as he is a dreadful snorer and I don't like to inflict his noise onto other poor innocent pilgrims! It is easy to do this yourself without needing a company to do the bookings if you are happy to spend the time doing some research but it seems that you are pretty happy having someone else do the logistics freeing you up to just enjoy the walk. It is a good option, especially for busy people who don't have hours to spend in the planning stage and don't want to just wing it.

First of all, I’m sorry for the recent losses of your parents. As you can imagine, there are many pilgrims out there who have lost loved ones recently. For most the Camino has been a great experience to reconnect with self and the bigger picture of our existence here. I don’t think you can go wrong with the camino frances. But I agree with one of the earlier posters “Mike V” I think, that a pilgrimage and a guided tour are very different type experiences but no matter which one you go with, shipping your backpack ahead is not a problem. If you go with the guided tour, I doubt you need to worry about how backpack will arrive at your next lodging set-up. But if you choose more the traditional pilgrimage, it won’t take long for you to get a hang on how the service works. Most private hostels, if not all, along the Camino will show you the envelopes where you will put the money in and on which, you’ll write the next location where you’re going. Don’t forget to put a phone number. You just call the company the night before to let them know that there is backpack to be picked up. There are two companies that are both highly efficient. It sounds as if you’d be more comfortable with booking ahead your rooms in private hostels or albergues. They all will accept your backpack and the system works well. Keep us posted on how things go. And Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Cindy, no shame, whatsoever. Do what you have to do to make the camino work for you. My experience on the frances seemed to be approximately 40 % were shipping their packs daily. Camino is an amazing experience. Go for it.

Hi Cindy with bit of pre planning and booking ahead personally I use booking.com.you can save a fortune these companies charge a arm leg .you can transfer your pack daily yourself from one place to another costing now average 7 euros.this allows you to carry a small day bag for water etc.stick to Frances route for your first one and maybe better starting in Roncesvalles missing out Pyrenees very hard first day.lots of options on Frances to do small or longer distances each day as you get stronger each day myself now 72 yrs young prefer booking ahead and take my time each day knowing I've reserved bed anyway you decide Buen Camino and don't miss this wonderful walk.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi @izzybugs - Welcome to the forum. You should get lots of good information here. You've asked several questions, so I'll start with some quick answers/suggestions...

Yes, it is a good choice. I see on your profile that you are thinking of October. That is also a great time to walk. Where are you thinking of starting, and how much time will you have?

Agency planning and luggage transfer are two different services. You can easily do your own planning and still use luggage transfer.

If you can't comfortably carry a back pack, then luggage transfer is the obvious answer. I would urge you to pack light - as if you were going to carry it anyway. After all, you will occasionally need to do that, and it is an interesting experience to be minimalistic

We have had a lot of recent threads in which the issue is hotly discussed. Frankly, this business of who is shaming whom is getting quite confusing (and tiresome). Shamers seem to exist on both sides of the luggage transfer question. You need to decide what is best for you and then do it with confidence and courtesy, ignoring people who say stupid or rude things. Many people use luggage transfer, especially on the Camino Frances

Someone will be along soon to make some suggestions. However, keep in mind...

This forum has a lot of members who have walked many Caminos. They are very keen to offer advice, even when it isn't exactly asked for. After all, a newcomer may not know enough to ask all the right questions. Their advice will tend towards advising you about how to do the planning yourself, rather than how to hire someone else to do it for you. That is natural, because they are experts in how to do the planning (and they like doing it). They don't know much about (and may not be interested in) how to select an agency. If you ask about good agencies, they will answer with reasons why you don't need an agency. This does not mean that they are shaming you; it means that they love talking about it and also they want to enable you. Take in all the information they provide, and then make your decision with that additional knowledge.

I don't know how familiar you are with the content on the forum. You might start by clicking on some of the tags shown at the bottom of this page. In particular, there is a tag for luggage transfer threads, and one for travel agencies and groups .
Thank you so much!

View attachment 151919

David thank you so much for your detailed response. I am feeling more confident about things and I’m very thankful for the input! Cindy

But I do pick up a bit of shaming in some forums.
I noticed that Ivar has just added a new rule for the forum to address this. No more discussions about whether people on the camino are a "tourist" vs. a "pilgrim"

Others' judgement has more to do with them than with you. Do the Camino your way. That was one of my biggest lessons when I did it, also alone, also at 60.

Others on this thread have mentioned the infrastructure on the Frances. I don't know any of the other routes, but I did find the Frances to provide everything I needed.

I love that the Camino is calling you! I think many of us can relate to that.

Buen Camino peregrina!
DJ

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome Cindy. Walk your own Camino and ignore any negative comments - don't even look at them! The Camino - and Spain generally - is so special that whatever technique or assistance allows you to participate and complete your route, is definitely worth it. You have lots of helpful specific advice in the comments above; my only advice would be if you are considering walking it then don't hesitate. Stay strong and appreciate the experience. Buen Camino

I think you are doing a good choice going on the Frances, as it is the route with most infrastructure for pilgrims.

About the planning, just remember that accommodation and luggage transport are separate things. You can hire a company to arrange everything for you, or you can book your own accommodation and still hire a company to send your luggage ahead. As said above, the second option is usually cheaper and more flexible, but it does requires a tiny bit more dedication. So you choose what you think works best for you :)

When you ask about "ïs this going to be an issue", do you refer to the "shaming"? No, it won't be an issue at all. A lot of people transport their bags and it is very normal.

I think the reason the forum gives this impression of being reactive towards planning companies and transport is because it is actually very easy to arrange those things by yourself on the camino, so it hurts to see people spending so much money in services that you can do for much cheaper. But "cheaper" will require effort in the end, so to each their own.

I used lugagge transport for a few days in my first camino because my husband had a sunstroke and was very debilitate for a few days. It's actually great that those services exist.

Your camino is yours to walk. Choose the best options for yourself and we will be here to help and hear about your adventures :)
Greetings, Cindy. The Camino is unique to each person that walks it and needs to be walked according to who and how you find yourself at this time. My first at 72 was Camino del Norte. It was a group retreat with everything taken care of and discontinuous except for the last 100 km and the distances were reasonable. When you look at the companies or the guide books, the stages are usually longer than I wanted/was able to walk each day so I found it difficult to use a company the next time. Last year I walked Camino Ingles solo. I planned how far I wanted to walk, made all reservations in advance and scheduled luggage transport and it was fine. Now I am planning at 76 to do the Camino Frances solo in September-Oct. This time I don’t want to be so scheduled In advance, although I am working out shorter stages, starting from Pamplona and busing in between until the last 100 km to accommodate the time available to me. I’m considering packing very light and carrying my backpack this time and/ or using a transport service. The Camino is a profound experience. Do it your way. Buen Camino

Cindy-
I am sorry to hear of the loss of your parents and hope you are able to go on Camino and that you do find peace there as so many people do.
I met pilgrims of all ages and ability- as they say, everyone has their own camino and I believe you want this and you can do it.
A luggage transport service has been available at every place to stay along the route. The place has it if you ask upon check in. You would not need a private service to do this for you- If you plan where to stay the following night, you just fill out the envelope with your name and next stop, usually costing $5 euros in the envelope-and then you leave the bag at the entrance of where you were staying by 8 am.
When I walked the French route, I found some people used transport every day arranged by private companies, while others used it on hilly days.
I have not used a private service, but know pilgrims that did. The accommodations for the private service tended to be planned out and nicer rooms. I do not mind staying in albergues/bunk beds with other people and found that it built community when I was walking alone-I did prebook rooms, but would have about 3 nights in a bunk bed then a fourth night booked a private room. (This is how I liked my Camino). I just wanted you to know that you would have the option to always use a taxi for your luggage if arranging your own rooms, which allows your flexibility and is a bit cheaper- but maybe you prefer the convenience of it all and do not want to stay in the albergues.
That all being said- I do not have a back issue, but found the bag to distribute weight very evenly on my back and found it much easier to carry than I expected when I had the straps adjusted. I did walk with my bag on the French way and used a taxi service for it at times on the Primitvo as I found the the hills the be harder for me and wanted to keep pace with my husband. (again decide what is right for you so that you get to enjoy the peace and joy that the Camino brings).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

View attachment 151919

I have the Radical Design Wheelie and plan on starting the Camino the beginning of September. So your experience with a trailer was positive? Anything I need to consider? Thanks.

Hi Izzy, if you get one of those trailers I would quite happily get towed the full length of the camino and wouldn't think twice about what others thought. I'd even swap places and let you have a go down some of the hills!
Everyone has already given you all the advice needed so I'll just agree with them. Do your own thing, send the pack on.. walk a far as you want/can each day. If you need to stop early or taxi then so be it. Stay in albergues or go 5 star. It's your journey, try each and every way and do what makes you happy!
Good luck
Andy
I have one of those trailers. I'll tow you!

Greetings, Cindy. The Camino is unique to each person that walks it and needs to be walked according to who and how you find yourself at this time. My first at 72 was Camino del Norte. It was a group retreat with everything taken care of and discontinuous except for the last 100 km and the distances were reasonable. When you look at the companies or the guide books, the stages are usually longer than I wanted/was able to walk each day so I found it difficult to use a company the next time. Last year I walked Camino Ingles solo. I planned how far I wanted to walk, made all reservations in advance and scheduled luggage transport and it was fine. Now I am planning at 76 to do the Camino Frances solo in September-Oct. This time I don’t want to be so scheduled In advance, although I am working out shorter stages, starting from Pamplona and busing in between until the last 100 km to accommodate the time available to me. I’m considering packing very light and carrying my backpack this time and/ or using a transport service. The Camino is a profound experience. Do it your way. Buen Camino
Wow! Very inspiring!

€46,-
I have the Radical Design Wheelie and plan on starting the Camino the beginning of September. So your experience with a trailer was positive? Anything I need to consider? Thanks.

Hi - before I made my own trailer the only problem I found with the Radical Design was the huge bag .. it is unlike a rucksack, where we have lots of handy small zipped pockets and so on but is just a big bag really so everything just falls to the bottom!
Also, the frame goes through loops on the bag so the only way to remove it - for refugios, etc, is to unbolt and dismantle the whole trailer so I took mine off and replaced it with a long rectangular rucksack plus two webbing belts to fix it to the frame - this one - the Yellowstone Edinburgh 55 - chosen for the shape and size to fit
s-l640.jpg

I was much happier as that big black bag is really made for a wilderness trek, not a daily Camino!

Oh, another thing ... you will be stopped by friendly and fascinated pilgrims often, who want to talk about it, try it out, take photos of it! :)

Last edited:
I bought the Wheelie with the open design, not the backpack, just for the reason you state. I will put a different bag inside that will not require me to dig.

It will be fun to be stopped and asked about it, because I'm hiking solo. I am so excited.

I bought the Wheelie with the open design, not the backpack, just for the reason you state. I will put a different bag inside that will not require me to dig.

It will be fun to be stopped and asked about it, because I'm hiking solo. I am so excited.

It really is a gamechanger! Wheelie was my first trailer and the difference is outstanding .. no weight on the back, no stresses anywhere, no copious sweating, no exhaustion .. you might find you get a little guilty when you calmly and freshly pass a struggling pilgrim in the heat with loaded pack (but not for long ;) )

US army field tests showed that it reduced energy expenditure by 84% !!
If you look back on the forum you will see some negative comments re trailers but all from people who have never tried one - the width is great, wherever you can go the trailer will follow and going downhill you just go slow and lean back, like a comfy armchair.
Do keep the hip-belt buckle clear though, no bum bag over - so if you have to get rid of it quick - think running bull! - then you can (I never have).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That’s great information about the trailer, David. Cindy, I hope you are feeling more encouraged about walking the Camino whether you carry a pack, transport one or use a trailer. David, a question about the trailer, what did you do with trailer and your pack when you stopped at a bar or went into a tienda?

Hi @izzybugs, congratulations on making your decision to go to the Camino. I can share that it has changed my life and not a day goes by that I do not imagine myself being back there. I was among several other pilgrims caught in 70 MPH wind gusts while crossing the Pyrenees in May 2022. I had a bruise from my right knee to my waist. That injury made it impossible for me to put my pack on - too painful. No one could see my bruise and there may have been some folks who made judgements about me using a service (Jacotrans). This experience reminded me that we do not know the reasons people choose to do the things they do, and it is not our business. I believe part of being alive is learning to extend grace and compassion to others. Buen Camino!

Hi @izzybugs, congratulations on making your decision to go to the Camino. I can share that it has changed my life and not a day goes by that I do not imagine myself being back there. I was among several other pilgrims caught in 70 MPH wind gusts while crossing the Pyrenees in May 2022. I had a bruise from my right knee to my waist. That injury made it impossible for me to put my pack on - too painful. No one could see my bruise and there may have been some folks who made judgements about me using a service (Jacotrans). This experience reminded me that we do not know the reasons people choose to do the things they do, and it is not our business. I believe part of being alive is learning to extend grace and compassion to others. Buen Camino!
Hi, CaminoKentucky, I am also in Ky and plan on hiking Sept 2023.

It really is a gamechanger! Wheelie was my first trailer and the difference is outstanding .. no weight on the back, no stresses anywhere, no copious sweating, no exhaustion .. you might find you get a little guilty when you calmly and freshly pass a struggling pilgrim in the heat with loaded pack (but not for long ;) )

US army field tests showed that it reduced energy expenditure by 84% !!
If you look back on the forum you will see some negative comments re trailers but all from people who have never tried one - the width is great, wherever you can go the trailer will follow and going downhill you just go slow and lean back, like a comfy armchair.
Do keep the hip-belt buckle clear though, no bum bag over - so if you have to get rid of it quick - think running bull! - then you can (I never have).
Thank you, David!

That’s great information about the trailer, David. Cindy, I hope you are feeling more encouraged about walking the Camino whether you carry a pack, transport one or use a trailer. David, a question about the trailer, what did you do with trailer and your pack when you stopped at a bar or went into a tienda?
This is such a good and positive thread, Cindy, you are getting great responses, and you will probably find the same on Camino. I hope it is giving you confidence to do Your Camino as you want to.

@rodney, in villages I would just leave it outside a shop. I also carried a bicycle cable lock so could secure it like a bike. In big supermarkets in the cities there is a security station as you enter the aisles, I would leave it there by them. At outside cafes other pilgrims would keep an eye on it as they do with rucksacks. All good. With my design, photo further up, I could turn the bag round and strap it on again and wear the whole thing on my back if I wanted ( I never did though).

Last edited:
This is such a good and positive thread, Cindy, you are getting great responses, and you will probably find the same on Camino. I hope it is giving you confidence to do Your Camino as you want to.

@rodney, in villages I would just leave it outside a shop. I also carried a bicycle cable lock so could secure it like a bike. In big supermarkets in the cities there is a security station as you enter the aisles, I would leave it there by them. At outside cafes other pilgrims would keep an eye on it as they do with rucksacks. All good. With my design, photo further up, I could turn the bag round and strap it on again and wear the whole thing on my back if I wanted ( I never did though).
Thanks, David. It’s got me thinking for a few years time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back