• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues, open April 2013? Tosantos, San Bol, Viloria de la

annelise

Time of past OR future Camino
Past
Last year (2011) I walked from Roncesvalles to Astorga – started with no ambitions or expectations at all – just a strong feeling that this was something I wanted/needed to do – no idea where the idea came from. Time restrictions stopped me in Astorga (66 years then and somewhat or maybe rather unfit at the start, but it certainly became better).

After a few vicissitudes after coming back (new artificial shoulder and a new diabetes diagnosis), I have now decided that I need to go back and finish the camino.

I plan to start in Logrono this time – beginning of April 2013 - and I have started planning a 'rather slow progress' (even though it would take some effort to make it even slower than last year) – to hopefully 'smell some more roses' in the process.

In planning my walk for April 2013 there are a few places which I definitely wish to stay at.

These are

- Viloria de la Rioja

- Tosantos

- San Bol

So my question now is whether these will be open in April?

(I made a search but too many hits came up to make the search meaningful).

Kindest, annelise (denmark)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Annelise,

It is wonderful to learn that next spring you will be continuing your Camino!
"Slow but determined" could be an appropriate motto.

Try checking these three specific pages on the Eroski web site for the albergues you cite.
>> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./refugio-de-peregrinos-acacio-y-orietta#bloque-informacion
>>http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergue-parroquial-de-tosantos
>>http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergue-arroyo-de-san-bol

On each page be sure to click the orange button marked Ver ficha completa del albergue in order to get all the information including opening times.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

The guide books give opening and closing dates too but always check first - sometimes they are listed as open (or closed) and the opposite is true!

Brierley Guide:

Viloria de la Rioja - open all year

Tosantos - April to October

San Bol - late April to mid-October

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Check the dates for Easter/Holy Week. The ones that say they open in Spring usually use Palm Sunday for their opening date, which therefore varies between March and April.

Semana Santa next year is the last week in March.

Thank you so very much, Margaret, Sillydoll and Rebekah, for your kind and helpful information.

I have now located Palm Sunday in 2013 as being on March 24 (day after my 68th birthday!). So the day after Easter Sunday would be April 1.

However, expecting that the importance of Spanish celebrations of Easter will be an important occasion for family get-to-gethers, and will continue until Easter Sunday (March 31), I would not expect the 'opening-in-spring' albergues to fully open already at Palm Sunday (24 March)?

I am, however, now strongly tempted to go to Logrono a bit earlier than April 1 to enjoy Easter celebrations for a couple of days (and I realize that this would necessitate that I in very good time try to reserve a hostel/hotel room for a couple of days before I start walking).

Thanks, Annelise

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back