• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alsa Bus and luggage

RussGianni

Time of past OR future Camino
April2024
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I store at least my carry on bag above me? Or is it stored underneath the bus? I need advise here pkease!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Like the others said any large bags go underneath the bus, and keep valuables with you.
You can wait until nearly departure to put your backpack underneath the bus, I usually wait until near the end to do that, then slide someone else’s bag over mine when I stow it underneath. That way it doesn’t sit there the whole time during boarding and with another bag on top of mine, no one will bother moving a bag to get to mine. The busses board and leave fairly quickly so there isn’t that long of a window for your bag to just sit there.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
and payment? If I decide not to pre purchase my ticket, can I pay getting on the bus with my contactless visa credit card?

and payment? If I decide not to pre purchase my ticket, can I pay getting on the bus with my contactless visa credit card?
I’ve always just loaded the app (Alsa) and you can buy your ticket that way contactless whenever you want. You just show the bar code which they scan.

I’ve always just loaded the app (Alsa) and you can buy your ticket that way contactless whenever you want. You just show the bar code which they scan.
Agree đź‘Ť ALSA app is your friend, and in some situations can help you avoid unwanted passport/ID checks.

As mentioned above prepare to store all large luggage (anything larger than 25L, estimate) and follow usual best practices for keeping your luggage safe.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have ridden a few Alsa buses in the past month.

(1) first if you know the bus you want buy the ticket ahead on the Alsa app, (which is much better than the Renfe app). Tickets do sell out as I have learned much to my chagrin. Set up an Alsa account and then you can put your ticket in your Apple wallet. Also, in many cases, if you buy on the app, you can pay an extra € or so to select your seat and not be in the last row. I like a window seat toward the front of the bus so I can enjoy the scenery.

(2). My 36 L backpack goes underneath with everyone else’s luggage – lots of shopping, suitcases, etc. I keep my Crossbody/day bag with me with all the important stuff. I have never worried about my backpack in the bowels of an Alsa or other bus.

I have ridden a few Alsa buses in the past month.

(1) first if you know the bus you want buy the ticket ahead on the Alsa app, (which is much better than the Renfe app). Tickets do sell out as I have learned much to my chagrin. Set up an Alsa account and then you can put your ticket in your Apple wallet. Also, in many cases, if you buy on the app, you can pay an extra € or so to select your seat and not be in the last row. I like a window seat toward the front of the bus so I can enjoy the scenery.

(2). My 36 L backpack goes underneath with everyone else’s luggage – lots of shopping, suitcases, etc. I keep my Crossbody/day bag with me with all the important stuff. I have never worried about my backpack in the bowels of an Alsa or other bus.
Thanks! Just downloaded the app, bought my ticket, and it’s in my Apple wallet as well as my offline Google Drive!

In my 16+ years of Caminos, I have never pre-booked buses/trains for getting from A to B. But I walk in spring and/or autumn. I buy my ticket at the station, the same day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In my 16+ years of Caminos, I have never pre-booked buses/trains for getting from A to B. But I walk in spring and/or autumn.
That’s interesting. Because I’m glad I prebooked them as there were only two seats remaining on that certain bus and trip I needed! I never expected the bus to be so full, as in all my years of bus travel in Europe and Mexico, it has never been a problem to buy the ticket day of at the bus station

That’s interesting. Because I’m glad I prebooked them as there were only two seats remaining on that certain bus and trip I needed! I never expected the bus to be so full, as in all my years of bus travel in Europe and Mexico, it has never been a problem to buy the ticket day of at the bus station
I just have a relaxed attitude: If it is full (has never happened), I buy a ticket for the next day, find a place to stay for the night, have a good dinner/evening, and go the next day.

I :should say, though: I am retired, without a return ticket home (I fix it whenever I'm done), so I just keep calm and wing it. What happens, happen, and I simply adjust.

IMHO: The best plan is to not have a plan: Go with the flow.

And I have also encountered “bus full” when I tried to book 2-3 days ahead. Fortunately, in each case there were three or four buses each day, and I could find one to book, although the schedule was less than optimal.

Demand for buses is increasing as petrol prices have risen. I also have never felt the need to book more than 24 hours in advance in past years throughout Europe. But now, with more people choosing to use the bus for economic or environmental reasons, and tourism up, I will book buses in advance.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And I have also encountered “bus full” when I tried to book 2-3 days ahead. Fortunately, in each case there were three or four buses each day, and I could find one to book, although the schedule was less than optimal.

Demand for buses is increasing as petrol prices have risen. I also have never felt the need to book more than 24 hours in advance in past years throughout Europe. But now, with more people choosing to use the bus for economic or environmental reasons, and tourism up, I will book buses in advance.
I am on a very tight schedule. I have to get to Porto early on that day,

I am on a very tight schedule. I have to get to Porto early on that day,
I fully understand you: Being still at work/occupation, days for walking a Camino are numbered. I have the luxury of not caring about time: I begin when I begin, I end when I end, and it takes as long as it takes.

The privilege of being retired with a good lifelong pension.

@RussGianni — very glad you got the bus ticket you need.

I am *almost*as lucky — the bus I desired was sold out 5 days before, but the next one with a loooong transfer was available and will work. I grabbed it and will have a supper picnic at the bus station. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@RussGianni — very glad you got the bus ticket you need.

I am *almost*as lucky — the bus I desired was sold out 5 days before, but the next one with a loooong transfer was available and will work. I grabbed it and will have a supper picnic at the bus station. :)
When and where are you walking?

In my 16+ years of Caminos, I have never pre-booked buses/trains for getting from A to B. But I walk in spring and/or autumn. I buy my ticket at the station, the same day.
We have been skunked a couple of times and had to take later trains (trains especially) and Phil and I had to sit in different cars or seat assignments that were not together on the bus a time or two. Advanced train and bus are the ONE thing that I usually do in advance. With train you often get a discount for buying early.

I buy my ticket at the station, the same day.
I understand you Alex. Though sometimes the train stations are unmanned and you can’t buy tickets there. I bought my ticket online today via Renfe app on my phone.
This was the situation today at La Gineta for a 10 minute train ride to La Roda on the camino de Levante., which covered 20klms at 5.47pm.
Possibly the ticket inspector on the train may have accepted cash payment 3€ … not sure.
Re unmanned stations : it felt rather weird to see a largish station with all doors locked and not a soul about anywhere.
Edit: the train looked quite full and I doubt it would even have stopped at this station if there was no record of a ticket purchased online.

Attachments

• IMG_1159.jpeg
    IMG_1159.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1156.jpeg
    IMG_1156.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1158.jpeg
    IMG_1158.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1161.jpeg
    IMG_1161.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I store at least my carry on bag above me? Or is it stored underneath the bus? I need advise here pkease!
I put my entire bicycle and other luggage in the luggage bays under Spanish buses. Alsa, and several other companies. They are similar to Greyhound buses, although the toilet room was always next to the exit door in the middle. Almost always there were a few pilgrims with packs underneath. On trips when I had only a mochila, I would just carry it on with me. There were always plenty of empty seats so I never had to keep it in my lap.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back