• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Appropriate dress in church

JoP

Time of past OR future Camino
I shall be walking the camino in shorts, weather permitting, but am concerned that when I enter a church, chapel or cathedral I will need to cover up. (Bearing in mind these won't be long shorts). My husband will wear shorts too but they'll be longer so I presume there won't be a problem for him.

Is this the case? What do other peregrinos do about this?

And does it differ in France - I'll be walking from Le Puy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I shall be walking the camino in shorts, weather permitting, but am concerned that when I enter a church, chapel or cathedral I will need to cover up. (Bearing in mind these won't be long shorts). My husband will wear shorts too but they'll be longer so I presume there won't be a problem for him.

Hi, I always wear a shirt with long sleeve and no shorts. When you want to wear shorts in the Vatican you will send away and the same when you wear shirts with short sleeve. This will be the case for a lot of churches around the world.
I would say ,out of respect no shorts for your visit to the church.
Wish you well, Peter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Whenever this question comes up there are many personal opinions expressed. However apart from the Vatican and some of the places in the Holy Land I've never come across prescriptive dress codes in other churches and certainly not on the Camino routes to Santiago. On the Ways to Santiago in my experience local people are very accustomed to seeing pilgrims in pilgrim dress. Every day in the cathedral of Santiago and in the churches around the city pilgrims attend mass often wearing shorts. No one bats an eyelid. Imho pilgrim dress is perfectly acceptable and there is no rule that says it isn't.

John has it right.
In my experience, and that of others, even the most traditional folks in the churches along a pilgrimage route have no problem with the dress of obvious pilgrims. People know that you do not have "proper" clothes while walking with a pack.
I have never seen a negative response...even from the old ladies doing the Rosaries before Mass.

The challenge is finding a Church open.

I agree.

I visited many churches, on three different caminos, with many services in many different languages, and offered by ministers from many different countries. Everyone was always welcome.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As a Catholic cleric, I am always happy to see people in my parish regardless of how they are dressed!

I would rather have a devout auto mechanic show up to daily Mass in his greasy cover-alls or a homeless person show up in rags than for them to miss an encounter with God because of something as irrelevant as clothing. The same applies to peregrinos everywhere.

That being said, just do your best. We Catholics believe that the most important Person in the universe is at home in each of our churches, so if you are planning to attend Mass in the evening then taking the time to put on some pants if you've got them certainly is a good thing...but if you are walking through a town and find an open church, your attire shouldn't prevent you from making a visit.

Grace+Peace
-Jason

P.S. The fact that you are asking the question means that your heart is already in the right place...trust your sensibilities and you'll be fine!

John has it right.
In my experience, and that of others, even the most traditional folks in the churches along a pilgrimage route have no problem with the dress of obvious pilgrims. People know that you do not have "proper" clothes while walking with a pack.
I have never seen a negative response...even from the old ladies doing the Rosaries before Mass.

The challenge is finding a Church open.

What a beautiful image.

Hi, I always wear a shirt with long sleeve and no shorts. When you want to wear shorts in the Vatican you will send away and the same when you wear shirts with short sleeve. This will be the case for a lot of churches around the world.
I would say ,out of respect no shorts for your visit to the church.
Wish you well, Peter.

On my bucket list to see.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For the first time in my life of nearly 60 years I wore headwear in Church (my white cotton beanie, not the Camino buff) during the Pilgrim Mass in San Juan de Ortega on April 15th. It was so cold in that Church. Many people wrapped themselves in the blankets provided. Brrrr! Lovely service though. :)

As a Catholic cleric, I am always happy to see people in my parish regardless of how they are dressed!

I would rather have a devout auto mechanic show up to daily Mass in his greasy cover-alls or a homeless person show up in rags than for them to miss an encounter with God because of something as irrelevant as clothing. The same applies to peregrinos everywhere.

That being said, just do your best. We Catholics believe that the most important Person in the universe is at home in each of our churches, so if you are planning to attend Mass in the evening then taking the time to put on some pants if you've got them certainly is a good thing...but if you are walking through a town and find an open church, your attire shouldn't prevent you from making a visit.

Grace+Peace
-Jason

P.S. The fact that you are asking the question means that your heart is already in the right place...trust your sensibilities and you'll be fine!
I love your "PS" sentiment! YOUR heart is in the right place. Kind, gentle words.

J, I have appreciated each of the responses that you have received and I think, imho, that each is correct when put in the proper context. You will be on pilgrimage and you have limited clothing. If you do plan on attending mass often, prepare for it and bring along a long pant or long sleeve shirt. These are often used anyway on Camino to either protect from the sun or used during cooler weather. However, if you are walking in the height of summer and you are wearing appropriate attire for such hot weather, please enter in and enjoy what you find there.

As has been said, your clothing is secondary to spending time with Him.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
My God only care about my intention no my clothes. Please visit the churches. There are many open in Santiago that in the past have been locked up. New bishop?

Besides...no matter what you wear, we look bizarre anyway with our trekking clothes in the urban context. I always feel too conspicuous, especially when the priest ask us (as it happens frequently) to seat together at the front of the church. The old ladies who are usually the only locals attending daily Mass always look at us, more or less discreetly, with curiosity. It feels quite strange but on the other side, everybody is polite and welcoming.

For the most part, pilgrims are held on high regard along the Camino(s) and unless you are behaving in an obvious disrespectful manner, you should be OK.

That said, the stretch athletic pants that go to the knee or ankle are more far popular than shorts in the Camino because they are far more protective of the skin, dry easier, more versatile, and are lighter than shorts. The fact that they are more conservative in situations where a bit of modesty (shared rooms, etc....) is a practicality that does not hurt either....

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
And please, please, please remember that is a parish first and not a tourist place. We attended Sunday Mass in Arcos and were appalled by the behavior of pilgrims who had dropped in just to see the church. They walked around during Mass taking pictures (tiptoeing - which just made them more conspicuous), talking and laughing as they lined up to get a sello.

Try to dress as well as you can but above all 'Show Respect'

Besides...no matter what you wear, we look bizarre anyway with our trekking clothes in the urban context. I always feel too conspicuous, especially when the priest ask us (as it happens frequently) to seat together at the front of the.

Just as an anecdote.... A few weeks ago (at home), we knew we couldn't attend Sunday Mass so opted to go to the Saturday evening one....Thing is, we had gone walking that afternoon and took longer than expected, there was no time to go home and change.... :confused:
I really didn't fancy going wearing shorts, T-shirt and boots but...we thought we'd sit unconspicuously in a corner at the back....
Ah! The minute we arrived, we were asked if we could bring the Offertory :eek:
Ah well, it gave the rest of a congregation a good giggle :D:oops:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, in Bavaria and the Austrian Tyrol, which are very Catholic and rather conservative countries, people go to Sunday Mass with their best clothes: women with their charming dirndl, men with lederhosen, which actually are a kind of breeches and quite similar to some trekking clothes. So, I suppose that they are acceptable (I mean shorts...I am not proposing that female pilgrims wear bodices, blouses, full skirts and aprons).:)

Last edited:
There are many open in Santiago that in the past have been locked up. New bishop?

Same archbishop in Santiago de Compostela since 1996.

We attended Sunday Mass in Arcos and were appalled by the behavior of pilgrims who had dropped in just to see the church. They walked around during Mass taking pictures (tiptoeing - which just made them more conspicuous), talking and laughing as they lined up to get a sello.

That's why there are some churches in Spain where turist visits are forbidden during religious acts (masses, funerals...).

In the Vatican they like you to cover your shoulders and not have too shorter shorts. Maybe the hat as well or a head scarf

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was mortified when my sister and I were refused entrance to St Peters because our arms were not covered. We were with our parents (who apparently were OK). I was 9 and my sister was 3! It was 50 years ago but I still remember the humiliation.

It was another time @Kanga, I am sure that kind of dress censure towards children wouldn't happen today. Buen Camino, SY
Isn't it strange how there are fashions-even within our faith.It's all a little political really and obscures the real meaning of Christianity.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Watch the webcam in the Santiago cathedral for information on dress. Yesterday the lay reading was done by a man in a t-shirt and shorts. Fashion does not seem to be obscuring faith! Along the camino the little old ladies dress are always dressed nicely (and they have the same hairdo), but pilgrims, who often are invited to participate in mass in various languages, have a lot of leeway!

I have found that a good rule of thumb is to be covered to your knees and to your elbows. This has worked well for me travelling, not only to Christian shrines but also while travelling in the far and middle east. Respect is key.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Apart of that, being covered also helps to prevent sun burns when walking :cool: Buen Camino, SY

Isn't it strange how there are fashions-even within our faith.It's all a little political really and obscures the real meaning of Christianity.

With all my utmost respect.

Differing cultures.
Differing Norms.

150 miles away in Mexico
The poorest of folks make a Sunday Effort to dress for Church.

Here, we have folks in khaki shorts and long sleeve fishing shirts on occasion.
Mostly a Cowboy Church Mentality due to all the farmers and Smallholdings here.

50 miles away
The Widows were black lace head scarves
The Maidens (yes..those Maidens) were a traditional white one.

Its tradition..and respectfully..again..its hardly political.
The Border Churches love the strength of Tradition.
The soft sussaration of the Prayers, the soft click of beads
The moist eyes of our elder StatesWomen venerable,venerated
What lies behind those tears only they know.

Tradition may be an only touchstone to a world sped up
Only those aside..not astride the merry go round see sometimes.

Tradition...

I mean absolutly no disrespect nor mean to demean any beliefs.
If I have stepped on toes, it was not my intention.

I'm sure you haven't caused any offence William. As I said in an earlier post on this subject there are many personal opinions expressed but the fact is that there are no rules on dress code along the Camino and in Santiago. The Camino is not the Vatican nor the Holy Land.

As for covering up shoulders, knees and elbows - as Falcon says often pilgrims dressed as pilgrims in shorts and t-shirt read at mass in the Cathedral - and just observe what is worn at Spanish weddings and you'll see how few conventions there are let alone rules!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Grace+Peace
-Jason

We just finished 2 1/2 weeks on the Camino Frances, and some days were very hot and we walked in our shorts. My wife, who is Catholic, and I, an Anglican, entered many churches in our short pants and short sleeves, and were always welcomed on the Camino. I always remove my hat (something my grandparents and parents expected me to do) but many pilgrims entered the churches without doing so. No one made a fuss. Nice to hear from the Clergy about this above. Thanks Jason.

We both took Mass at the Cathedral in Santiago. We were dressed up a bit, though, for our last night in Santiago. However, my wife was quite shocked at getting turned away from the prayer chapel at the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona before our Camino. Apparently her short sleeves were unacceptable to the staff person, despite wearing an appropriate length skirt at the time. Some old rules just don't die. We said our prayers anyway. God is not bound by time and/or space.

Buen Camino!

Grace+Peace
-Jason

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.