• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poncho in SJPDP?

montyhiker

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May 2024
Ok Pilgrims, quick question. I just paid $39 for a Poncho at a local outdoors store and I’m already planning to return it, because I just saw another Pilgrim say they only paid €4 for one on the trail. So my question is if they do, in fact, sell ponchos in SJPDP for that kind of price.
Please no debate about poncho vs. rain jacket—-this is not a poll😳. Muchas gracias!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am sure you can get a 4 dollar poncho, but many reserve the Altus Poncho in SJPDP at the pilgrim gear store here

High quality poncho. Be warned, I walked several summer Caminos and never needed a poncho or rain jacket although my last two I wore a poncho regularly. I always carry rain gear no matter the weather though.

I bought the cheap ponchos several times and paid various amounts for them. Few lasted more than two days. So I finally invested in a tough but light plastic one of a proper design that gives full protection. I’ve never looked back. I always carry it and have used it often. It’s light and compact, but a little heavier than the cheapies!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’ve seen more than one fellow pilgrim discard their ultra cheap poncho as it disintegrated on them day by day.
I bought the cheap ponchos several times and paid various amounts for them. Few lasted more than two days. So I finally invested in a tough but light plastic one of a proper design that gives full protection. I’ve never looked back. I always carry it and have used it often. It’s light and compact, but a little heavier than the cheapies!

yep. I’ve seen more than one pilgrim have to dump their super-cheap poncho because the things just rip and tear

My backpack cost €200 and I've walked 1300km with it ... but now I feel ripped off because I saw a "Nicgid 50L Lightweight Hiking Backpack Foldable Multi-Functional Travel Bag Water Resistant Casual Camping Rucksack for Men Women Outdoor Sport Mountain" for €28.75 on Amazon.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Since context isn’t really understood apparently, I should have simply asked if a high quality poncho is simply available to PURCHASE in SJPDP, since the cost of “things” might be less expensive than where I live (US).

Since context isn’t really understood apparently, I should have simply asked if a high quality poncho is simply available to PURCHASE in SJPDP, since the cost of “things” might be less expensive than where I live (US).

Honestly, i don’t think this somewhat uncivil phrasing and tone is really helpful or appropriate on a forum like this.

Honestly, i don’t think this somewhat uncivil phrasing and tone is really helpful or appropriate on a forum like this.
Sorry, I was only referring to @Antnix1, regarding a rather snarky comment on my simple inquiry. I should’ve “quoted” him individually; thought I did.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm not sure you will find things in general cheaper in st. Jean. In parts of Spain, maybe.
Since you've already bought a poncho, if you're happy with it, stick with what you've got.

Not sure when you’re going, but Ivar has the Altus on sale in the forum shop. It’s not really a poncho but a long rain coat with a hump that replaces jacket and pack cover.
You can also get one in SJPdP at Boutique du Perelin. If you reserve it, you get a discount.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not sure when you’re going, but Ivar has the Altus on sale in the forum shop. It’s not really a poncho but a long rain coat with a hump that replaces jacket and pack cover.
You can also get one in SJPdP at Boutique du Perelin. If you reserve it, you get a discount.
Thanks Susan for the info. I tried to buy it through the Forum Store, but check-out told me that “Shipping” would take 2-3 weeks and I’ll be on the Camino before it gets to me; also said the only place to pick up in person was Santiago de Compostela. But I do appreciate the info. Buen Camino.

I asked my friend why all his photos of his Camino del Norte partner showed a bright yellow pack cover, even on sunny days. For visibility? No. He said his partner initially bragged about how inexpensive his new pack was. Within a few days it was falling apart and he had to use the pack cover to keep it together. Buen Camino

But definitely for a lot more than €4!
Thanks Susan for the info. I tried to buy it through the Forum Store, but check-out told me that “Shipping” would take 2-3 weeks and I’ll be on the Camino before it gets to me; also said the only place to pick up in person was Santiago de Compostela.
You can pre-order an Altus from the store in St Jean.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Altus is worth the cost. We bought ours at Caminoteca in Pamplona and were able to get some different colors. Mine is Spring Green and Phil's is Gold. The $4 ponchos are about as good as a large trash bag (which would be cheaper.) They may work for a light shower, but if there is any wind with the rain, they will be whipped around and ripped to shreds rather quickly. I have also used a Frog Toggs poncho. They are less expensive although not the coverage of the Altus (which is more expensive). One advantage of the Frog Toggs poncho was that I could unsnap it and use it as a blanket over my bag liner several nights when it was pretty cool.

Interesting. I walked winter 2014 and the weather from St J P de p was vile. Two pilgrims that first day had their ponchos completely shredded by Roncrsvalles.

De Colores. Bogong

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.